Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭caew

Cave's comments re Roger Wilson reflect the feelings of a lot of Ulster and Northampton fans over the past few years. I don't think he was particulary having a go at Heaslip but just pointing out there were times Wilson was the in form number 8 and didn't get picked. It was misguided to voice these opinions in public about another player.

And for those trying to read something into the fact that he referred to the British Lions and didn't use the full title..really? Numerous commentaters, broadcasters, journalists etc do the same, it is not a delibriate slur or whatever else you are trying to read into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I don't know what the f*ck this is. But here it is anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭PlayerTrader13

Ravens team named:

no sign of Donnan, O'Connor or Simpson at lock, all three must be injured.

Starting is Marc Campbell, who played u20 this year and Matthew Rea who played u20 last year.

At number 8 is a guy i've never heard of Adrian Hamilton of Ballymena?

anyone know much about him?

1. Kyle McCall
    2. Jonny Murphy
    3. Ricky Lutton
    4. Marc Campbell
    5. Matthe Rea
    6. Conor Joyce
    7. Frankie Taggart
    8. Adrian Hamilton
    9. Michael Heaney
    10. James McKinney
    11. Peter Nelson
    12. Paddy Wallace
    13. Staurt McCluskey
    14. Ross Adair
    15. Ricky Andrew
    16. Peter Jackson
    17. Adam Macklin
    18. Josh Atkinson
    19. Lorcan Dow
    20. Dave Shanahan
    21. David Busby
    22. Adam Liddell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Hagz wrote: »
    I don't know what the f*ck this is. But here it is anyway.

What the hell did I just watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Creepy...

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Logie-1

Paddy Jackson will make his 50th appearance for Ulster tomorrow. He definitely won't make 50 appearances on top of the pops:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

caew wrote: »
    Cave's comments re Roger Wilson reflect the feelings of a lot of Ulster and Northampton fans over the past few years. I don't think he was particulary having a go at Heaslip but just pointing out there were times Wilson was the in form number 8 and didn't get picked. It was misguided to voice these opinions in public about another player.

And for those trying to read something into the fact that he referred to the British Lions and didn't use the full title..really? Numerous commentaters, broadcasters, journalists etc do the same, it is not a delibriate slur or whatever else you are trying to read into it.

Don't disagree about Wilson, feel he has been very hard done by just to have one cap. Hopefully he'll add to that in years to come.

In regards to Cave's comments re British Lion. I feel he was having an underhanded dig, Cave knew he was speaking about an 'Irish' player from Dublin so should have included .. & Irish lion out of respect. Let's be honest the player he spoke about would not appreciate being referred to as British, which Cave would have known well.

I'm afraid his comments will go against him in the future, and the Irish public at large will take a dim view of him as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Don't disagree about Wilson, feel he has been very hard done by just to have one cap. Hopefully he'll add to that in years to come.

In regards to Cave's comments re British Lion. I feel he was having an underhanded dig, Cave knew he was speaking about an 'Irish' player from Dublin so should have included .. & Irish lion out of respect. Let's be honest the player he spoke about would not appreciate being referred to as British, which Cave would have known well.

I'm afraid his comments will go against him in the future, and the Irish public at large will take a dim view of him as a result.

If you are going to bring politics into it there would be so much I would love to say but I won't as I'm pretty sure it goes against the forum charter but just to say I really don't think it was an underhand dig at all, it is just that some people in NI as is the case in England, Scotland and Wales occasionally refer to the Lions as the British Lions. I don't think there is anything to read into it. They shouldn't but they do through habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

bilston wrote: »
    If you are going to bring politics into it there would be so much I would love to say but I won't as I'm pretty sure it goes against the forum charter but just to say I really don't think it was an underhand dig at all, it is just that some people in NI as is the case in England, Scotland and Wales occasionally refer to the Lions as the British Lions. I don't think there is anything to read into it. They shouldn't but they do through habit.

Totally agree it's like saying united and everyone thing Manchester not Newcastle etc. I got sick of it and just call them BAIL now he is a bail or he is going on a bail tour. You can see this in sky sports when one will call it British lions and another British and Irish i doubt there is any under line agenda to it as I like to think in rugby we are above it. As a catholic in Belfast I find it funny when I get abide and then educate that ulster jerseys also represent Cavan Monaghan and Donegal lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

bilston wrote: »

I wasn't bringing politics into the matter I just feel Cave's comments were ill mannered and unnecessary, many will and do agree.

Can completely understand how many from NI, England, Scotland & Wales can slip up on that matter but not your own fellow Irish teammate when you've been around the fringes of the Irish squad for around five years.

I wasn't bringing politics into the matter I just feel Cave's comments were ill mannered and unnecessary, many will and do agree.

Can completely understand how many from NI, England, Scotland & Wales can slip up on that matter but not your own fellow Irish teammate when you've been around the fringes of the Irish squad for around five years.

Fair enough:-)

Anyway someone earlier pointed out that today is PJ's 50th Ulster cap. That's mad given he is just 21. Well done to him and hopefully he goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Nonsense. It's a common enough, if erroneous way of speaking. I've even heard Quinny do it. Was he was having an 'underhand dig'. Honestly, talk about going out of your way to be offended. You need to lighten up. Are you so precious that you think everyone is bothered by this sort of crap. If so, then it isn't the Irish Rugby team but one made up of Irish and British players. So it would be the Irish and British Irish Rugby Team.

• Administrators Posts: 53,370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

lets get back to talking rugby, this conversation will go nowhere :)

does someone want to start a match thread for our game?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Logie-1

Tickets ready, taxi picking us up at 4 o'clock, 4 friends who can drink for Ireland, 6 o'clock kick off, German beer tent at Christmas Market for afterwards= 3 day hangover:):(:):(

awec wrote: »
    does someone want to start a match thread for our game?

Nah I think you can feel free to! :P

Nah I think you can feel free to! :P

I'm away this weekend, on the phone so wont be writing up no match thread.

awec wrote: »
    I'm away this weekend, on the phone so wont be writing up no match thread.

Classic awec :)

Didn't see the game but what a result. That's a pasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

First half on the radio, second half on the laptop.

Looked good at times but switched off at other times.

Still, the win and the bonus point are in the bag and you can't really argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

from the tries I saw (that Red Button Try Alert is amazing) Cave and Marshall had great games in the centre and Trimble took a try in the corner in spectacular fashion

Saw the first 20 mins (have the recorded) and our backs were tearing them apart an the pack were making some good carries particularly Herring and Tuohy. It was 12-0 when I stopped watching and Marshall and Cave in particular were going very well in the backs, actually Marshall had an outstanding first quarter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Twas the money...

John Afoa moves to Gloucester

...can't say I blame him, but I was hoping he'd head home if his wife couldn't stomach the NH. It's not like NZ is overflowing with quality TH props.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Twas the money...

John Afoa moves to Gloucester

...can't say I blame him, but I was hoping he'd head home if his wife couldn't stomach the NH. It's not like NZ is overflowing with quality TH props.

That can't be right, can it? €600k per year? How do Glaws have that sort of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sixy

Cave was superb tonight, he made two tries with good offloading. Marshall and the rest of the backs played well. Herring was the pick of the pack. In general Ulster still had plenty in the tank, Treviso were pretty awful apart from first 15mins in the second half were they had the majority of possession but couldn't manage to do anything with it.

On a side note, don't feel Doyle brings anything and mccormish is awful. Would like next years project signing to be a young 7 if there are none going through the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

What's the crack with ferris, will he ever play again?

.ak wrote: »
    That can't be right, can it? €600k per year? How do Glaws have that sort of money?

The BT deal is beginning to have an impact, however it is still a lot and I'm sure Hibbard isn't cheap either.

digzy wrote: »
    What's the crack with ferris, will he ever play again?

Hopefully back playing in the next two months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

sixy wrote: »
    Cave was superb tonight, he made two tries with good offloading. Marshall and the rest of the backs played well. Herring was the pick of the pack. In general Ulster still had plenty in the tank, Treviso were pretty awful apart from first 15mins in the second half were they had the majority of possession but couldn't manage to do anything with it.

On a side note, don't feel Doyle brings anything and mccormish is awful. Would like next years project signing to be a young 7 if there are none going through the academy.

We had one in faloon and got rid

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement