Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Apparently Afoa is getting a four year deal at Gloucester. Hard to turn that down I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

bilston wrote: »
    Apparently Afoa is getting a four year deal at Gloucester. Hard to turn that down I guess.

Reckon it would be a £1m - £1.5m package over the 4 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

People forget that Cave struggled hugely against injury in his early career and has had periods of poor form. I'd have liked to see him involved in this years AIs based on form, but the last time I really think he merited any more attention than he got was probably the 2012 summer tour.

Exactly. He's a very good player and is back in fine form now but he appears to completely gloss over the fact that he has been below par for large parts of 2013 including a pretty mediocre showing for Ireland in the summer. He wound up warming the bench for multiple Pro12 games including some vital ones in the run in last season as Anscombe looked at a variety of other options in Cave's role.

In fact, if it wasn't for injuries this season, it was very much looking like Cave would not have started the HEC games. He has the ability and has deserved a shot at some point in the past but he needs to shoulder some more of the blame than claiming perhaps his face doesn't fit.

The Roger Wilson comment is just bizarre and I say that as someone who thinks Wilson is a very tidy and underrated player. If he had said that Wilson should have collected a few caps over the years, fair enough. The comparison he makes though completely diminishes his point.

Regardless, extremely harsh on Ulster. They treated him wonderfully well. They gave him a glut of compassionate leave last season to their own detriment.

I've no problem with someone looking after their interests and following the cash but this just seems somewhat dishonest.

I can only hope that Afoa was on unpaid leave when he went home each time.

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He shouldn't be allowed any more trips home that would result in him missing games tbh.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    He shouldn't be allowed any more trips home that would result in him missing games tbh.

Yep, I agree, I don't think the Ulster supporters will be very sympathetic is he races off back to NZ anytime soon on anything other than an emergency. Ulster have bent over backwards to accomodate him.

We all knew he was leaving so in that respect I'm not disappointed to not have him next year, I hope we'll be able to bring in another top class TH, but it does rankle a bit that he is staying in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

If he does go again, a fine aint really much of a deterrent if he is on a 4 year deal next season. Certainly not repaying the loyalty given. Difficult situation if it arises.

Gloucester is an odd choice. Belfast is often referred to as a backwater but while I've never been to Gloucester I have been to the West Country and yes somewhere like Bath is a lovely place but the West Country is no more cosmopolitan than Belfast. His wife could be in for a bit of a shock.

Gloucester is an odd choice. Belfast is often referred to as a backwater but while I've never been to Gloucester I have been to the West Country and yes somewhere like Bath is a lovely place but the West Country is no more cosmopolitan than Belfast. His wife could be in for a bit of a shock.

Gloucester isn't particularly nice but there are nice towns around like Cheltenham. Alternatively, they could just live on the outskirts of London and Afoa could do a 90 minute commute.

Still a world away from Auckland though.

Looks like Richard Hibbard is joining Gloucester next season.

Who is their LH?

• Advertisement

Looks like Richard Hibbard is joining Gloucester next season.

Who is their LH?

Nick Wood. Good player who has been there all his career and is an England fringe player. He'd be a similar sort to Tom Court.

Buer wrote: »
    Nick Wood. Good player who has been there all his career and is an England fringe player. He'd be a similar sort to Tom Court.

Well it looks like they'll have a powerful front row next season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Very stupid comment from Cave about Heaslip. However he meant it it just looks like he's slagging Heaslip off in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I feel for Cave’s position but he was very stupid to make that comment about Heaslip. I’m sure Schmidt would have no problem or possibly been have been happy with the fire he’s showing but to single out a member of the current squad, the vice-captain at that, saying he’s getting preferential treatment in comparison to a guy who has never really stood out is not only very unprofessional but also borderline delusional.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Indo are saying Paddy Wallace will play his first game back after injury this weekend.

His re appearance will be really interesting as I've always rated him as a players.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The Indo are saying Paddy Wallace will play his first game back after injury this weekend.

His re appearance will be really interesting as I've always rated him as a players.

Ulster have in a slightly perverse way been lucky with their injuries as if they had all centres and backs fit at the same time for an extended period they could be facing issues with getting guys enough gametime to keep them all happy.

Schmidt interviewed on BBC just now, he said Cave phoned him this morning and said he was disappointed with how the media portrayed it, and Joe seems happy enough, said these things can happen and said he understands his frustration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I doubt Gloucester will be as accomodating as Ulster, but let him find out on his own. Shame to see him go, now we need to find a suitable replacement. All this blether about his wife is nonsense, Auckland is not Sydney, I'm sure the issue is being close to family and not whats on offer in the city.

Cave is a tube for opening his mouth and criticising the captain and the coach, if wants to phone up Schmidt the only thing he needs to be saying is "what do I need to do to be in the team".

Schmidt interviewed on BBC just now, he said Cave phoned him this morning and said he was disappointed with how the media portrayed it, and Joe seems happy enough, said these things can happen and said he understands his frustration.

He never said anything bad about Schmidt so yeah the article is badly written but the quote about Heaslip is what is the bad thing to me.

Joe is a gent, there’s no way he’d ever say anything negative about a player in public that didn’t involve their actions on a rugby pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

All's well that ends well...

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

I remember when Botha went to Munster we where all saying you can never replace him so you never know. Maybe we have someone even better on the way. Just don't know why the delay. Ulsters history of timing big announcements has never been good.

New coach on the eve of a HC game comes to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He never said anything bad about Schmidt so yeah the article is badly written but the quote about Heaslip is what is the bad thing to me.

Just heard the Audio of Cave on Newstalk , bitter is not the word , He has a pop at Heaslip and refers to him as "2 Time British Lion" - No mention of Irish ,
    When are Leinster playing Ulster next :eek:

galait wrote: »
    Just heard the Audio of Cave on Newstalk , bitter is not the word , He has a pop at Heaslip and refers to him as "2 Time British Lion" - No mention of Irish ,
    When are Leinster playing Ulster next :eek:

December

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Audio on newstalk earlier bucks Caves claim about out of context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Aidric wrote: »
    Audio on newstalk earlier bucks Caves claim about out of context.

Does it? Completely in context if anything.

Edit: Are you saying backs or bucks as in doesn't support?!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

So it's official. Afoa to glos.

Feel so cheated.

Ulster XV and replacements to face Benetton Treviso, Heineken Cup, Ravenhill, Saturday 6th December (kick off 18:00); J Payne, A Trimble, D Cave. L Marshall, C Gilroy, P Jackson, R Pienaar; (1-8): T Court, R Herring, J Afoa, J Muller (Captain), D Tuohy, R Diack, S Doyle, R Wilson; Replacements (16-23): N Annett, C Black, D Fitzpatrick, N McComb, M McComish, P Marshall, M Allen, D McIlwaine.

Pretty much as expected.

• Advertisement

Ulster XV and replacements to face Benetton Treviso, Heineken Cup, Ravenhill, Saturday 6th December (kick off 18:00); J Payne, A Trimble, D Cave. L Marshall, C Gilroy, P Jackson, R Pienaar; (1-8): T Court, R Herring, J Afoa, J Muller (Captain), D Tuohy, R Diack, S Doyle, R Wilson; Replacements (16-23): N Annett, C Black, D Fitzpatrick, N McComb, M McComish, P Marshall, M Allen, D McIlwaine.

Pretty much as expected.

Big big couple of months coming up for Gilroy. He looked sharp against Edinburgh and was involved in Cave's try last week, let's hope he continues that and gets up to his best. I genuinely think there is an Ireland spot open for him if he hits top form.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement