Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Buer wrote: »
    No disrespect to Cave who I really rate but, if that was the swap, Ulster would still be doing much better.

Disagree but there you go.

awec wrote: »
    Ah, McGrath has obviously seen the light and realised that the opportunity to play for Ulster is too good to pass up. :cool:

We'll be keeping Darren too all the same. And Olding, and Marshall, and Gilroy, and any other young exciting talent that you may set your sights on. :D

I think NOC's contract is running out at Jersey I'd say he'd be up for a move to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

bilston wrote: »
    I think NOC's contract is running out at Jersey I'd say he'd be up for a move to Dublin

Yeah that's it. Kick a guy when he's down.

Cr9rg.gif

• Administrators Posts: 53,370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ulster XV and replacements to face Zebre, RaboDirect PRO12, Ravenhill, Saturday 30th November (kick off 3pm); (15-9): R Andrew, A Trimble, D Cave, L Marshall, C Gilroy, P Jackson, P Marshall; (1-8): T Court, R Herring, J Afoa, N McComb, D Tuohy, R Diack (Captain), M McComish, R Wilson; Replacements (16-23): N Annett, C Black, D Fitzpatrick, C Joyce, S Doyle, M Heaney, J McKinney, M Allen.

We are down to the bare bones now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ulster XV and replacements to face Zebre, RaboDirect PRO12, Ravenhill, Saturday 30th November (kick off 3pm); (15-9): R Andrew, A Trimble, D Cave, L Marshall, C Gilroy, P Jackson, P Marshall; (1-8): T Court, R Herring, J Afoa, N McComb, D Tuohy, R Diack (Captain), M McComish, R Wilson; Replacements (16-23): N Annett, C Black, D Fitzpatrick, C Joyce, S Doyle, M Heaney, J McKinney, M Allen.

Jaysus that's not half bad for bare bones. The bench is a little lacking but other than that it's a decent enough line-up. And sure it's only Zebre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Is this match not in Italy?

Is this match not in Italy?

Oops, yea.

Also be aware that it is 3pm local time kick off, which means it's 2pm for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I assume that it was McGrath's choice to move to Ulster, he can't be forced to move there by the IRFU.

He will be first-choice in Ulster, and I do think that Ulster needed a LH badly...Black is good enough but if they want to be challenging for the HC, they'll need someone of higher calibre, with Black as backup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭PlayerTrader13

Guess the Paddy Mac hype train needs to be stopped.

What Hype Train?
    Secondly, write him off because he's been injured?

Shall we derail the Luke Fitzgerald one? Or the Iain Henderson one too? Zebo's out injured at the moment too. Anyone remember when D'Arcy broke his arm badly and was out of the game for quite some time too?

McAllister has a lot of rugby in him if he can get fit.

• Advertisement

What Hype Train?
    Secondly, write him off because he's been injured?

Shall we derail the Luke Fitzgerald one? Or the Iain Henderson one too? Zebo's out injured at the moment too. Anyone remember when D'Arcy broke his arm badly and was out of the game for quite some time too?

McAllister has a lot of rugby in him if he can get fit.

if he was as good as Ulster fans said, they wouldn't need McGrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Guess the Paddy Mac hype train needs to be stopped.

There was a hype train?

Paddy Mac looked to have a lot of potential but he's been plagued by injury. He's still only 24 so there's plenty of time for him to get back on track.

if he was as good as Ulster fans said, they wouldn't need McGrath.

Being good at rugby doesn't mean you're impervious to injury.

Heck, Stephen Ferris.

Incredible athlete and one of the best rugby players around but just can't keep the body in one piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

molloyjh wrote: »
    Jaysus that's not half bad for bare bones. The bench is a little lacking but other than that it's a decent enough line-up. And sure it's only Zebre.

You have seen McComish on the team list. Liability card and penalty magnet.

Paddy Mac tears hamstring out at least a month..

nearly as bad as deccie fitz now

have to think he has packed on too much weight

Paddy Mac tears hamstring out at least a month..

nearly as bad as deccie fitz now

have to think he has packed on too much weight

Leave Deccie alone...this is his best season to date...just the five injuries so far...

Ulster's Tommy Bowe has been ruled out for between four and six weeks with a groin muscle tear.

would have to question ulster's strength and conditioning, so many muscle injuries.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He's been with Ireland for the last while so not sure how much contact the Ulster guys would have had with him.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He's been with Ireland for the last while so not sure how much contact the Ulster guys would have had with him.

was injured with Ulster though, just like paddy mac's hamstring, hendersons hamstring, Stevenson's knee, Oldings knee and on and on.

very similar to last year

• Registered Users Posts: 23,724 ✭✭✭✭phog

was injured with Ulster though,

confirmed on RTE sports news that he damaged it while with Ireland

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    confirmed on RTE sports news that he damaged it while with Ireland

makes little difference to the trend of ulster players having soft tissue injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 23,724 ✭✭✭✭phog

makes little difference to the trend of ulster players having soft tissue injuries

Might, might not, I really don't know enough to make a judgement but I was just putting the record right based on what I heard on RTE Sports News.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/latest/2013/12/john-afoa-to-leave-ulster.aspx

"Tighthead prop, John Afoa, is to leave Ulster at the end of this season, having signed a long-term deal with an Aviva Premiership club."

I thought he wanted home to New Zealand? :(

Anyway, I guess the AP club could offer him more than we could in terms of contract length.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ugh, I'm guessing Northampton.

"Tighthead prop, John Afoa, is to leave Ulster at the end of this season, having signed a long-term deal with an Aviva Premiership club."

Anyway, I guess the AP club could offer him more than we could in terms of contract length.

Interesting he chose to stay in Europe! I didn't think that was likely given he is always back in NZ with his family.

Great player, could be a loss but we will see how he is replaced. He was never going to stay but the surprise is that he stays in Europe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Will the English team be as accommodating as Ulster regarding visits home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I'm hoping they meant to say the Blues...

He's missing his family so he knocks 1 hour of the journey home by moving to England?! Sorry to break the news to you John, but that still leaves about 26 hours back to Auckland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

errlloyd wrote: »
    Ugh, I'm guessing Northampton.

Anyone but Saracens tbh!

/touchwood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Anyone but Saracens tbh!

/touchwood

There's a reason S and A are the first 2 letters of Saracens, and I'm not sure John wants to feel like he's living in Pretoria.

• Advertisement

Anyone but Saracens tbh!

/touchwood

Well somewhere in and around London might not be a bad guess as he has probably had to sell this to his missus and London is a pretty popular place.

I doubt Wasps could afford him, so that leaves Quins, Saracens and London Irish.

Of course Im jusy speculating and could well be Northampton but I think the Saints rumour has emerged because the photo of him in the UR report is of him playing them! Are UR's press team that clever?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement