Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

Lutton's only 8 months older than Healy jaco!

I agree with you though that he's not going to be top quality unless something drastic changes. He's also a converted LH which is never the most encouraging sign for a TH.

Then again, new scrum rules might suit a "Dual LH" front row?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Then only Ruan left.... need a big name for sure then.

Lutton not like 26/27? thats young in my books :) prime from props will be 28-30 I think.

bilston wrote: »
    Muller won't be here (probably), but Nick Williams will be.

At the minute there are probably two NIQ spots and one Project spot up for grabs so plenty of recruitment to be done.

Of course big Nick!
    Is Sean Doyle fully irish or is he another slot? I think he is irish by parents or something.

So we could have both Franks bros. would need to bulk that second row up though.

Team for this week

Ulster XV and replacements to face Edinburgh, RaboDirect PRO12, Ravenhill, Friday 22nd November (kick off 19:05); (15-9): C Gilroy, A Trimble, D Cave, L Marshall, M Allen, J McKinney, P Marshall; (1-8): C Black, R Herring, J Afoa, L Stevenson, I Henderson, R Diack (Captain), S Doyle, N Williams; Replacements (16-23): N Annett, T Court, R Lutton, D Tuohy, R Wilson, I Porter, P Nelson, R Andrew.

$ausage$ wrote: »
    Team for this week

Ulster XV and replacements to face Edinburgh, RaboDirect PRO12, Ravenhill, Friday 22nd November (kick off 19:05); (15-9): C Gilroy, A Trimble, D Cave, L Marshall, M Allen, J McKinney, P Marshall; (1-8): C Black, R Herring, J Afoa, L Stevenson, I Henderson, R Diack (Captain), S Doyle, N Williams; Replacements (16-23): N Annett, T Court, R Lutton, D Tuohy, R Wilson, I Porter, P Nelson, R Andrew.

queue Ireland Thread explosion in

(for me, if Henderson is fit enough for Ulster, he should be involved in Green this weekend)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Gutted for Marshall and Tuohy, nothing more they could have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Marshall will have plenty of time and will probably be facing the ABs in his prime in the RWC QF and will probably have more starts than Darcy in the 6N..

To be fair it's a good thing he was released, who else would cover 10?

Ulster should clean up nicely here, tidy squad.

Cave can cover 10 and Allen plus they could have just called up anyone from ravens or AIL if they where really stuck. But I agree will give us some much needed point in the Rabo

Just bought an Ulster onesie. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Logie-1

awec wrote: »
    Just bought an Ulster onesie. :D

lol, where did u get it?

Im looking for one for my nephew.

• Advertisement

You can get them on the ulster web store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Interview with Stephen Ferris on his rehab progress.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25037375

Sounds like everything is going well. Would love to have him back in green for the Six Nations (though it would inevitably raise some interesting selection questions - could we have some competition between O'Mahony and Heaslip for the 8 jersey? Probably a question for another thread/time)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Some pictures floating around twitter of the new stand.okks like it could be finished in a couple of months

durkadurka wrote: »
    Some pictures floating around twitter of the new stand.okks like it could be finished in a couple of months

Attached a pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hurk

Interview with Stephen Ferris on his rehab progress.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25037375

Sounds like everything is going well. Would love to have him back in green for the Six Nations (though it would inevitably raise some interesting selection questions - could we have some competition between O'Mahony and Heaslip for the 8 jersey? Probably a question for another thread/time)

What a dude. I can't deal with the possibility that he won't be back, but that segment was very positive. As long as he hasn't forgotten his rugby, there really isn't a question about him slotting right back in. Can't think of many teams that he wouldn't start for.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I hope it does work out for him but that bit were he said it's still week to week is scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Well I think Ireland is off the radar until June at the earliest and more likely next November so there's no point thinking in those terms.

From an Ulster point of view I'd dearly love to see him and back to his best but he still seems to have a long way to go. I guess he will get a run out for the Ravens or maybe even Dungannon some time in Jan or Feb and maybe if we're lucky we will see him back in the Ulster side during the 6Ns. But even to get to there he still has a few hurdles to jump but he seems genuinely positive.

One thing I'm not sure about is his contract, it's up at the end of December and it is highly unlikely he will be back on a rugby pitch before then so we will see what happens. The other thing is that Ulster will need to know sooner than later what his long term prognosis is as they may need to seek a replacement if things don't work out. Still I think we will see him back, but what level he gets back to remains to be seen.

Nick Williams is out of tonight's game so Roger Wilson starts instead and Mike McComish comes onto the bench.

Ian Porter has also cried off from the bench and is replaced by Dave Shannahan who impressed during the JWC so it will be interesting to see if he gets a wee run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Mike McComish is destined to curse me with his presence every time I get a chance to watch Ulster... He's just frustrates me so much.

Mike McComish is destined to curse me with his presence every time I get a chance to watch Ulster... He's just frustrates me so much.

I don't think you're alone in your frustration.

• Advertisement

I'm actually really looking forward to this game. Great to see Gilroy back.

awec wrote: »
    I'm actually really looking forward to this game. Great to see Gilroy back.

Yep, hope he goes well.

Also I'm posting this from the relative safety of the Ulster thread but here is the breakdown of Ireland squad this weekend...

Leinster - 17 (I'm including Sexton for effect)
    Munster - 3
    Ulster - 3

I'm sure Schmidt is completely oblivious to it but I'll just leave that hanging for a minute!

Yep, hope he goes well.

Also I'm posting this from the relative safety of the Ulster thread but here is the breakdown of Ireland squad this weekend...

Munster - 3
    Ulster - 3

I'm sure Schmidt is completely oblivious to it but I'll just leave that hanging for a minute!

Good chance for us to leapfrog Leinster in the league. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Yep, hope he goes well.

Munster - 3
    Ulster - 3

He favours all the other provinces, Leinster left with C team away to Treviso and the rest of you playing star players

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Yep, hope he goes well.

Munster - 3
    Ulster - 3

By that "logic", Mike McCarthy is a Connacht player.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yep, hope he goes well.

Munster - 3
    Ulster - 3

I can't think of anyone from Munster or Connacht who should be in ahead of a Leinster player and other than Marshall from the Ulster contingent it's extremely debatable if any of the Ulster guys should be in ahead of a Leinster player.

So what's your point here?

Schmidt wouldn't be the first Ireland coach to not have Trimble or Tuohy as first choice for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I can't think of anyone from Munster or Connacht who should be in ahead of a Leinster player and other than Marshall from the Ulster contingent it's extremely debatable if any of the Ulster guys should be in ahead of a Leinster player.

So what's your point here?

Schmidt wouldn't be the first Ireland coach to not have Trimble or Tuohy as first choice for Ireland.

Yeah there's a host of wingers from Munster/Ulster who would be ahead of D Kearney and Fitzpatrick if fit, Henderson and Ryan would probably be ahead of both Toner and McCarthy if they were fit and McLaughlin would definitely be out of the 23 if Henry or Ferris and maybe even TOD were available.

Other than the D'Arcy decision (which is probably clouding judgement on everything else) the backup 10 and maybe the second row I don't really see what you can argue with in the selected team, most positions pick themselves and we're very heavily hit with injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭supersonic64

A longshot here for some of the older Ulster followers. Does anyone remember a guy called Gordon?Heuston/Houston? used to spend summers down in Carrickfin Co. Donegal as a young un.Played rugby in the infancy of professional era, maybe got a semi-pro contract at Worcester back in the day/ Thanks for any help/links /wiki.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

A longshot here for some of the older Ulster followers. Does anyone remember a guy called Gordon?Heuston/Houston? used to spend summers down in Carrickfin Co. Donegal as a young un.Played rugby in the infancy of profassional era, maybe got a semi-pro contract at Worcester back in the day/ Thanks for any help/links /wiki.

Here ya go! http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Gordon-Houston/899163648

Sounds like he's doin quite well for himself!

• Advertisement

Declan Fitzpatrick was absolutely excellent when he came on today.

Am steering clear of the main stuff on here so no idea if it's been commented on, but he carried and recycled 3/4 times in 5 minutes.

Great stuff

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement