Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

niallerm wrote: »
    33 year old prop, looking for a multi year deal... usually not a good idea..

Denis Buckley would be an interesting player, seems like him and Lam had a falling out

never even thought of Buckley. If Connacht can't curb him, some tough Ulster love might co-erce him back on track?

18 months ago he was gearing up to get Irish recognition, now playing AIL after pissing off the coach once too many times?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Does that Bronson Ross (?) player play at all for reserves or anything

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/team/squad-profiles-list/bronson-ross.aspx

Regarding Mullers replacement, Ulster have been the best province in getting their 5 top class foreign players so the replacement will probably be right up there.

Off the top of my head I think Ross has come off the bench for the 1st team a couple of times, I guess he has played for the Ravens and is playing UBL rugby as well.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

bilston wrote: »
    Off the top of my head I think Ross has come off the bench for the 1st team a couple of times, I guess he has played for the Ravens and is playing UBL rugby as well.

Has he? I honestly don't remember seeing him.

He was signed on a one year development deal though - not sure what the story will be with him going forward but he is taking a prop NIQ spot at the moment I do believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Under stats tab says he played the treviso game, just checked as sub i gather

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭niallerm

awec wrote: »
    Has he? I honestly don't remember seeing him.

He was signed on a one year development deal though - not sure what the story will be with him going forward but he is taking a prop NIQ spot at the moment I do believe?

thought he was IQ'd through his mother or something

• Advertisement

niallerm wrote: »
    thought he was IQ'd through his mother or something

Oh, you're right. His ma was from Belfast.

As an side - a stadium update

New gym and the steelwork so far. Starting to look really good!

Michael Bent interest you guys?

out of contract at the end of the season, covers both LH and TH.. looks to be third string at both for Leinster currently with a lot of talent behind him pushing on..

Also Allan Dell is a NIQ to watch out for apparently, SA LH prop, possible project player.

Ha. No to Bent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Big loss, great player... best of luck to him.

• Advertisement

From this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057082270

and given Conway, McCarthy, Cronin, Keatley, Carr etc's previous moves

Should Ulster be offering Jack O'Connell a shot at a HEC starting spot?

From this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057082270

and given Conway, McCarthy, Cronin, Keatley, Carr etc's previous moves

Should Ulster be offering Jack O'Connell a shot at a HEC starting spot?

No, but we'll take the other Jack;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I don't really see JOC going anywhere with Leinster, and with Dooley and Byrne coming up in the next few years I think Ulster would be a great move for him, whether Ulster would be interested is another question, but surely he's worth a punt as a back-up player

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭sleepyman

awec wrote: »
    As an side - a stadium update

New gym and the steelwork so far. Starting to look really good!

Looks great.I take it that stand goes the whole way across(I mean the upper tier where the seating will be)?

sleepyman wrote: »
    Looks great.I take it that stand goes the whole way across(I mean the upper tier where the seating will be)?

Yes it will.

Ravens team for games against Eagles.

1. Kyle McCall
    2. Niall Annett
    3. Ricky Lutton
    4. Lewis Stevenson (capt)
    5. Robbie Diack
    6. Mike McComish
    7. Sean Doyle
    8. Nick Williams
    9. Paul Marshall
    10. Stuart Olding
    11. Peter Nelson
    12. Chris Farrell
    13. Michael Allen
    14. David McIlwaine
    15. Ricky Andrew
    16. Paul Jackson
    17. Callum Black
    18. Adam Macklin
    19. Lorcan Dow
    20. Conor Joyce
    21. Dave Shanahan
    22. James McKinney
    23. Stuart McCloskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What is Olding's best position? He's been moved around this year.

What is Olding's best position? He's been moved around this year.

12 right now I think, but I think he could be a great 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's likely to be 12 long term but there's a lot to be gained by playing him at 10 enough for him to become comfortable running a back line on his own against top sides. I think they're doing a good job with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I wonder what would happen if Jackson were injured for a HEC game? Pienaar hasnt looked convincing in his showings at 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

7-3 to Ravens
    30 mins gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

35-10 to Ulster Ravens at FT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The Ulster Ravens ran in five converted tries in a very competitive fixture at Deramore Park.

The opening exchanges were fairly tense with both sets of half backs testing the back three under the high ball.

The Ravens created the first opportunity to score in the 15th minute, a wide ball from Chris Farrell created room for Ricky Andrew and he did well to force an opening and kick the ball towards the Connacht line. Peter Nelson was on his outside and the Dungannon man showed great pace to get past the visitors cover and dive on the ball to score. Stuart Olding added the extras from the touchline to give the Ravens a 7-point advantage.

The game remained very competitive with Connacht finally getting on the score sheet when Jack Carty converted a penalty goal in the 30th minute.

As the game headed into the final 10 minutes of the first half the home side had two clear chances to score, but determined last ditch defence from the Eagles kept their line secure.

In injury time referee David Wilkinson yellow carded Ravens prop Kyle McCall for pulling down a maul following a catch and drive, but Carty’s effort drifted wide of the mark to leave the Ravens with a narrow 7-3 lead at half time.

The home side made the perfect start to the second half, with just two minutes played, Nick Williams set off on a charge near the halfway time and made good ground before giving a superb off-load to Mike McComish. The Ravens flanker continued the attack with Ricky Lutton setting up quick ruck ball for Paul Marshall to fire wide, where the Ulster backs had a clear overlap allowing Michael Allen to cross for what was a wonderful team try. Olding was once again on target with his conversion to put the home side 14-3 clear.

The Ravens infringed at a scrum in the 53rd minute but once again Carty’s kick missed the target.

The home side attacked once more in the 58th minute with Michael Allen and Chris Farrell making good ground to within metres of the Eagles line. Marshall found flanker Conor Joyce with a snappy pass and he smashed his way over for the third Ravens try. Olding was on target again to increase the Ravens tally to 21 points.

With 15 minutes remaining Neil Doak made a number of replacements.

Only on the pitch for a matter of minutes, replacement hooker Paul Jackson made the most of his time off the bench when he smashed his way over from close range for the fourth Ravens try in the 74th minute, Olding converting to take the home side 28-3 clear.

Mike McComish was yellow carded in the 75th minute for a ruck infringement, leaving Connacht with an extra man for the remainder of the game. The penalty was kicked into the corner from where the Eagles attacked in earnest for the first time, sending flanker Eoghan Masterson over for a try just right of the posts. Carty added the extras to bring the visitors tally to 10 points with 76 minutes played.

In the 78th minute Michael Allen had the final say in the game when he picked up a loose ball near the halfway line, and sprinted clear to dive in under the posts to score his second and the Ravens fifth try. Olding added the extras to take the Ravens 35-10 clear.

In the final play of the game Stuart Olding twisted his right knee and while he received attention from the physio, the referee blew for full time, the Ravens convincing winners 35-10.

Reports on Twitter that Olding's season is done.

To describe that as disappointing wouldnt be nearly an adequate description if confirmed.

That would be a massive shame. I really hope its not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Gutted for Olding, such a great player and talent. Shows just how tough this game is. Hope it's not as bad as feared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Its only a trivial mistake but Jared Payne is listed as only being 74 cm tall on the Ulster website, smallest ever pro rugby player? :D

He is also listed as 209 Kilos. Thats a serious amount of bulk for a guy who is about 2 and a half feet tall.

Olding out for the season...confirmed...

Balls to that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Farrell, Olding, McAllister, Payne....exciting new prospects don't do injuries in halfs up north....

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Farrell, Olding, McAllister, Payne....exciting new prospects don't do injuries in halfs up north....

Its not just that its the number of ACLs as well. All the above apart from Payne have had that injury, as has Paddy Wallace.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement