Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Overview of IQ'd Props going into the 2014 season.

Options
  • 13-11-2013 5:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭

Connacht

Loosehead
    Brett Wilkinson[30] - 2015
    Denis Buckley[24] - 2015
    Finlay Bealham[22] - Year 2 Academy
    Jacob Walshe[20] - Year 1 Academy

Tighthead
    Ronan Loughney[29] - 2015
    JP Cooney[24] - 2015
    Peter Reilly[22] - Year 2 Academy
    Saba Meunargia[20] - Year 1 Academy

Leinster

Loosehead
    Cian Healy[26] - 2016
    Jack McGrath[24] - 2015
    Jack O'Connell[24] - 2014
    Ed Byrne[20] - Year 2 Academy
    Peter Dooley[20] - Year 1 Academy

Tighthead
    Mike Ross[34] - 2015
    Michael Bent[28] - 2014
    Martin Moore[23] - 2014
    Tadhg Furlong[21] - Year 3 Academy

Munster

Loosehead
    Dave Kilcoyne[25] - ?
    James Cronin[23] - 2014
    Niall Horan[21] - Year 1 Academy

Tighthead
    Alan Cotter[27] - 2014
    Stephen Archer[26] - 2015
    John Ryan[26] - 2013
    Rory Burke[20] - Year 1 Academy

Ulster

Loosehead
    Tom Court[33] - joining London Irish until 2017
    Callum Black[28] - 2015
    Paddy MacAllister[25] - ?
    Kyle McCall[22] - Year 2 Academy
    Adam Warwick[22] - Year 1 Academy

Tighthead
    Declan Fitzpatrick[31] - 2014
    Rickly Lutton[28] - ?
    Bronson Ross[28] - 2014
    Adam Macklin[25] - ?
    Chris Taylor[21] - Year 1 Academy

Abroad
    John Andress[30] - Worcester, Tighthead - 2014
    Tony Buckley[33] - Sale, Tighthead - 2014
    Timmy Ryan[29] - Coventry, Tighthead - ?
    Dave Ryan[27] - Zebre, Loosehead - ?
    Ruaidhri Murphy [27] - Brumbies, Loosehead - ?
    Jamie Hagan[27] - London Irish, Tighthead - 2016
    Conor Carey[22] - Ealing, Tighthead - ?
    Jake Caulfield[21] - Plymouth, Tighthead - 2014

Other
    Nathan White[32], Tighthead, Connacht will become IQ'd next year.

*Ages of all players listed are their age on September 1st 2014*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Jaggo

Wow, its really amazing the turn around from a few seasons ago

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Pretty sure Conor Carey is a Tighthead, or is playing there for Ealing at least, when he's played for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Probably worth noting players like Loughney who can play both sides, not as important since the bench was expanded but its worth keeping in mind. Also you omitted Rodney Ah You who is IQ since last month i think

From a Connacht Perspective I try and give a little background on each player. Some I know a bit more than others, I not either from galway or buccs where most of the academy lads play so see little of them bar eagles matches

Loosehead

Brett Wilkinson - unfortunate to not have an Irish cap to his name, rise of Healy along with emergence of players like Kilcoyne and McGrath have made it unlikely that he will ever get one. Fantastic scrummaging loosehead, good work in the tight but not a ball carrier imo. Underrated player even by connacht fans, very rare hes beaten by his opposite man and oftentimes can dominate.

Denis Buckley - Serious, Serious player, imo the best young prop at LH in the scrum in Ireland, has absolutely murdered some serious THs since he broken into the squad. Very useful around the park, although I'd like to see him on the ball less as he doesnt make the impact the likes of Muldoon or McKeon can, and a threat at rucks. Discipline issues have seen him drop off the face of the earth this season, hopefully will return soon

Rodney Ah You: Dual sided prop who for 3 years has been our bete noir, has really turned it round this season with some massive performances since the injuries to Loughney and White at TH and had a big game at LH before that. A player that has really benefitted form the law changes imo and has looked fitter this year then at any point since he joined. Hopefully his recent performances are signs of him moving on to a new level and not a temporary rise in form. If he keeps this up he may attract schimdts eye at A level in the not too distant future.

Finlay Bealham: Has done well anytime I've seen him play. Came off the bench against Newcastle last year for the Eagles and steadied the ship after Rodney had a wobbler. Having a resurgent Rodney and Buckley ahead of him, not to mention Wilkinson will frustrate his game-time though which could be a hinderance.

Jacob Walshe Good young prospect, did well for himself at schools level and deserves his academy contract, probably a bit too young to be judging yet but his work ethic is fantastic and is a very mature lad from all accounts.

Tighthead

Nathan White
    : Its up to the likes of Fitzpatrick/Archer to make an impression now because when this man is finally IQ I can see Joe come knocking. Great in the scrum, fantastic leader of the team and has scored some seriously cheeky tries for us so far. Great bit of business by us, Martin Moores emergence has probably offset it but I reckon there was more than a few Leinster supporters disappointed he had to leave them.

Ronan Loughney - Very solid option at TH and before the arrival of White was looking like a prospect at TH at international level. Imo, he needs games to be at his best as he seems to need time to get into top form. Very capable and adaptable as he is dual sided but is probably not going to add to his solitary Irish cap. Bog oak craftsman and fluent Irish speaker to boot:P Difference between him and White is that white can dominate a LH, Loughney will remain solid but rarely dominates.

JP Cooney Has played against some serious scrums in Sarries and Biarritz despite his relatively low number of caps and has always coped. Dual sided, will definitely get more game time over the next few seasons as Loughney, White and Wilkinson age. Has done pretty well so far in a short time.

Peter Reilly: Did very well in the pre season by all accounts and actually got on top a little bit in the Castres game I seem to remember being mentioned. Was an unused sub vs Sarries earlier this year as Rodney played the game of his life. Long list of props ahead of him will limit his game time but should get plenty of time at AIL and Eagles.

Saba Meunargia: I know quite a few Buccs people and this lad is heavily heavily hyped. Very good scrummagger based on my limited viewing of him and a strong ball carrier to boot. Had his problems with injuries apparently which I hope is now well behind him

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

freyners wrote: »
    Nathan White: Its up to the likes of Fitzpatrick/Archer to make an impression now because when this man is finally IQ I can see Joe come knocking. Great in the scrum, fantastic leader of the team and has scored some seriously cheeky tries for us so far. Great bit of business by us, Martin Moores emergence has probably offset it but I reckon there was more than a few Leinster supporters disappointed he had to leave them.

2:32 in this video. We were definitely sorry to see him go at the time, although it probably has worked out for the best in the longer term.

Advertisement