Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

macklin and d'arcy back good to see

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Some great matchups in the backline. Macken against Cave, L Marshall against D'Arcy, Conway against Gilroy, Madigan against Paddy J. With the exception of D'Arcy, they are the future.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm sure Ravenhill will be absolutely banging tomorrow night. I hear tickets are on the black market for over 150 quid a pop!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »
    I'm sure Ravenhill will be absolutely banging tomorrow night. I hear tickets are on the black market for over 150 quid a pop!

That's crazy...for a Pro 12 game...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Cock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Cock

Calm down

Cock

Who? Me? Or whoever is selling the tickets for £150? I'm hoping the latter!!

Its a much stronger team than I was expecting. Think the packs are about even, and we have the stronger bench there, but that backline is much, much better than what Leinster will be putting out.

Its a much stronger team than I was expecting. Think the packs are about even, and we have the stronger bench there, but that backline is much, much better than what Leinster will be putting out.

But as we know forwards decide who wins and backs decide by how much.

Half backs decide who win, backs decide by how much and forwards decide how many digs are thrown

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    Who? Me? Or whoever is selling the tickets for £150? I'm hoping the latter!!

Sorry, utterly unrelated! I was expressing my displeasure at the strength of the Ulster team!

Sorry, utterly unrelated! I was expressing my displeasure at the strength of the Ulster team!

We're not at our strongest up front though. Also without making excuses I understand the dreaded Norovirus has made itself known to some of the Ulster squad during the week so they may not all be on top form. I'd heard Wilson had come down with it and then I think it was in the paper this morning that Gilroy and Cave had been suffering too.

I had it about 6 weeks ago and couldn't have played with it. Mind you I did lose a fair bit of weight...welcome for me...not so welcome for a professional rugby player I'd have thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

sweetthing wrote: »
    A fractured bone is a broken bone. What matters is the extent of the fracture (or break). In Muller's case it is an undisplaced fracture which means the bone is aligned pretty well and usually requires less treatment than a displaced fracture where movement at either side of the fracture is common

I didnt really explain myself properly. What I meant was basically what you said; it should heal quicker etc.

I know all about breaks. Id a motorbike accident, broke 5 bones, 1 of which was a compound fracture of the femur. Not good... Anyway. As for Muller, hopefully it heals soon for our sake :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

Bowe out for 4 months.

You'd have to imagine that will put paid to his Lion's chances too, which is a pity considering how well he was playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'm more surprised at how weak the Leinster team is than how strong the Ulster team is. They were always going to go near full strength given the opposition and context of the game. We should have done the same imo, as it could be huge in the final standings.

Fishooks13 wrote: »
    Bowe out for 4 months.

You'd have to imagine that will put paid to his Lion's chances too, which is a pity considering how well he was playing.

Maybe not. He should be back for the HEC knockouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I'm more surprised at how weak the Leinster team is than how strong the Ulster team is. They were always going to go near full strength given the opposition and context of the game. We should have done the same imo, as it could be huge in the final standings.

It's Joe's way of getting revenge for Ulster sending down a weak side last year.

It will be hard for Bowe to make the Lions. Taking 4 months to be 16 weeks and taken from the date of his injury (15 Dec), that would take us to 6 Apr which I think is usually HEC Q/F weekend. Getting back into the Ulster team will be his first priority. In saying that he's probably in a similar situation to Lydiate who I think is due to return around then and many believe it's just a matter of him proving his fitness, which given the back row competition, is a big big call so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

bilston wrote: »
    It will be hard for Bowe to make the Lions. Taking 4 months to be 16 weeks and taken from the date of his injury (15 Dec), that would take us to 6 Apr which I think is usually HEC Q/F weekend. Getting back into the Ulster team will be his first priority. In saying that he's probably in a similar situation to Lydiate who I think is due to return around then and many believe it's just a matter of him proving his fitness, which given the back row competition, is a big big call so who knows.

Fingers crossed for a bit of a miracle and make it 12-14 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Gareth Steenson signs a two year extension at Exeter, it would have been good if Ulster looked at bringing him home.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20831553

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Gareth Steenson signs a two year extension at Exeter, it would have been good if Ulster looked at bringing him home.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20831553

He'l be 28 this summer so isn't going to be getting much better. He's a limited player. Decent boot but not a guy Ulster should be looking at bringing in. They have PJ, Pienaar and Stuart Olding coming through with NOC sitting in a glass case with "Emergency Use Only" marked on it. They can cover the spot fairly comprehensively.

GerM wrote: »

He'l be 28 this summer so isn't going to be getting much better. He's a limited player. Decent boot but not a guy Ulster should be looking at bringing in. They have PJ, Pienaar and Stuart Olding coming through with NOC sitting in a glass case with "Emergency Use Only" marked on it. They can cover the spot fairly comprehensively.

It probably would have worked to have taken him on a one year deal while Olding develops but he is usually first choice at Exeter who are a great club and at this stage in his career I think moving to Ulster to be back up to Jackson would have been the wrong move for him. Also NOC has actually been ok this season and we have Pienaar, Wallace, Olding and Marshall who can all cover 10. In fact I fancy Payne could probably hold his own there if needed!

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone else off here heading to thomond on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭overshoot

awec wrote: »
    Anyone else off here heading to thomond on Saturday?
    if you cover my shift at work and give me a ticket, yes!...
    so thats a no then:(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ulster extended squad v Scarlets, RaboDirect PRO12, Friday 4th January, Ravenhill (kick off 7.05pm):

Forwards (15)
    Rob Herring, Rory Best, Niall Annett,
    Callum Black, Tom Court, John Afoa, Adam Macklin,
    Lewis Stevenson, Neil McComb, Dan Tuohy,
    Iain Henderson, Robbie Diack, Chris Henry, Nick Williams, Roger Wilson.

Backs (11)
    Paul Marshall, Michael Heaney, Ruan Pienaar,
    Paddy Jackson,
    Luke Marshall, Paddy Wallace, Darren Cave,
    Craig Gilroy, Andrew Trimble,
    Jared Payne, Adam D'Arcy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I reckon Ulster will play the full strength side given that they are going up against the second place team, played a weak side last week and have the HEC the week after and wouldn't want players not having played for a few weeks going into the HEC

The big question is how fit is Tuohy and where will Henderson play

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I'd imagine that this would be the team for the ERC games so I'd go with that against Scarlets.

Tom Court, Rory Best, John Afoa,
    Lewis Stevenson, Dan Tuohy,
    Iain Henderson, Chris Henry, Nick Williams,

Ruan Pienaar, Paddy Jackson,
    Luke Marshall, Darren Cave,
    Jared Payne,

Rob Herring, Callum Black, Adam Macklin, Robbie Diack, Roger Wilson. Paul Marshall, Paddy Wallace,

Outside of these players only the injured Ferris, Muller, Fitzpatrick and McAllister would likely challenge for a spot in the starting squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

jacothelad wrote: »
    I'd imagine that this would be the team for the ERC games so I'd go with that against Scarlets.

Tom Court, Rory Best, John Afoa,
    Lewis Stevenson, Dan Tuohy,
    Iain Henderson, Chris Henry, Nick Williams,

Ruan Pienaar, Paddy Jackson,
    Luke Marshall, Darren Cave,
    Jared Payne,

Rob Herring, Callum Black, Adam Macklin, Robbie Diack, Roger Wilson. Paul Marshall, Paddy Wallace,

Outside of these players only the injured Ferris, Muller, Fitzpatrick and McAllister would likely challenge for a spot in the starting squad.

And Bowe, surely?

Ferris is obviously a massive loss, but the form of Henderson is some relief.
    Muller is another big player but if Stevenson can recapture his early-season form, again it won't be as big a loss as it might have been.

Would Marshall be ahead of Wallace for the ERC now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Would Marshall be ahead of Wallace for the ERC now?

Probably not, its a big question mark. Wallace and Marshall are imo the form 12s in Ireland at the moment but given how close it is between them I reckon Wallace will start because of experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement