Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Would Marshall be ahead of Wallace for the ERC now?

It's a close call but the change needs to come at some time. I'd make it now. Mincer is great cover to have and they can be rotated. Both can play 10 and 13 for example. Marshall is a decent kicker. The sad thing of course is the loss of Nevin Spence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Scarlets team v Ulster Friday 4th January 2013 kick-off 7.05pm Ravenhill;
    15 Dan Newton
    14 George North
    13 Gareth Maule
    12 Jonathan Davies (capt)
    11 Kristian Phillips
    10 Aled Thomas
    9 Tavis Knoyle
    1 Phil John
    2 Emyr Phillips
    3 Jacobie Adriaanse
    4 Sione Timani
    5 Richard Kelly
    6 Josh Turnbull
    7 Johnathan Edwards
    8 Rob McCusker

Replacements: 16 Matthew Rees, 17 Rhodri Jones, 18 Deacon Manu, 19 Tomas Vallejos, 20 Craig Price, 21 Gareth Davies, 22 Scott Williams, 23 Adam Warren

Important that Ulster win the battle up front because that's a dangerous backline.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

and the Ulster team

(15-9): A D’Arcy, A Trimble, D Cave, L Marshall, C Gilroy; P Jackson, R Pienaar;
    (1-8): T Court, R Herring, A Macklin, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, R Diack, C Henry c, N Williams;
    Replacements (16-23): N Annett, C Black, J Afoa, N McComb, R Wilson, M Heaney, P Wallace, R Andrew.

No Henderson, no Payne, no Best, Afoa not starting, no P Marshall getting a little worried about this one

and the Ulster team

(15-9): A D’Arcy, A Trimble, D Cave, L Marshall, C Gilroy; P Jackson, R Pienaar;
    (1-8): T Court, R Herring, A Macklin, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, R Diack, C Henry c, N Williams;
    Replacements (16-23): N Annett, C Black, J Afoa, N McComb, R Wilson, M Heaney, P Wallace, R Andrew.

No Henderson, no Payne, no Best, Afoa not starting, no P Marshall getting a little worried about this one

Someone was saying elsewhere that Paul Marshall is getting married soon (maybe even this weekend) which might explain his non selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

bilston wrote: »
    Someone was saying elsewhere that Paul Marshall is getting married soon (maybe even this weekend) which might explain his non selection.

Surely no pro rugby player in this country would arrange their wedding for January when there are HEC games and Irish selections to play for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

GerM wrote: »
    Surely no pro rugby player in this country would arrange their wedding for January when there are HEC games and Irish selections to play for?

You're assuming he had any say in the matter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

and risk the wrath of the bride...... i'd rather my balls between my legs than carry them around in a bag. :D

Of course wedding or no wedding maybe Anscombe is simply rewarding Heaney for his cameo against Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Not too many female pro rugby players ger!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Lanelli are missing a few players of note: Liam Williams, Scott Williams, Aaron Shingler, and Preistland too.

Ulster have also had a good scrum from what I've seen of them, anyone who saw the Ospreys Lanelli game will know why this is important. The Ospreys blew them away in the scrum!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

and the Ulster team

Why no Best, Afoa or Payne?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

awec wrote: »

few niggly injuries and rest for Afoa I think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭Banbridgeman2

Rest up for the big 2 weeks ahead

awec wrote: »

Payne is ill apparently. Not sure about Best and as already said Afoa is just being rested while MA tries to give Macklin game time

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

These are the games that new/young players should be tried out, especially given the current league position

Stanza2 wrote: »
    These are the games that new/young players should be tried out, especially given the current league position

This is 1st vs 2nd in the league!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

RTE 2 Coverage after Munster game, Lenihan and Horgan really impressed like us all with Ulster but saying drop PJ this year put Pienaar 10 and Marshall 9 and a great team atm would have an even better chance of winning HEC. Thoughts? I think its fine at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

ssaye wrote: »
    RTE 2 Coverage after Munster game, Lenihan and Horgan really impressed like us all with Ulster but saying drop PJ this year put Pienaar 10 and Marshall 9 and a great team atm would have an even better chance of winning HEC. Thoughts? I think its fine at the moment.

It's harsh but I think it's true. I would still say Ulster have a good chance of winning the HC, but if they come up against a goliath team like Clermont, then I think they need to go with Piennar at 10.

Pienaar is one of the top 9s in the world and we'll keep him there thanks very much!

Jackson played well yesterday anyway so why look to drop him? If it had been after Leinster or Northampton then their views would have had more traction but since then Marshall has had a 'mare in Munster and Jackson has had a good game against the Scarlets. Leave things as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sixy

ssaye wrote: »

Thought Jackson played better on Friday night and think it was done to the fact that Pienaar was kicking the goals. It takes a bit of pressure off and just lets him concentrate on his game. He is still young after all. Besides, Pienaar is one of the best 9s around and Marshall is a better impact player than a starter i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

paddy jackson is a better 10 than marshall is a 9 imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

leonard7 wrote: »
    paddy jackson is a better 10 than marshall is a 9 imo

True. I just don't think he's at that stage yet where he would look "in place" with a Heineken Cup Champion team. But he can definitely get there. But I look at someone like Piennar and he has Heineken Cup Champion written all over him. But I suppose to get there you have to play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Jackson is the future. What little difference there is between Pienaar/PJ and Marshall/Pienaar is completely outweighed by Jackson's huge potential and young age. For me it's not even that much of a debate in my mind, because i think Pienaar is a better 9 than 10 as well.

I think that Marshall should be starting a lot of games though. Ulster should be looking towards a sustainable IQ halfback group in the case of Pienaar leaving.

Jackson is the future. What little difference there is between Pienaar/PJ and Marshall/Pienaar is completely outweighed by Jackson's huge potential and young age. For me it's not even that much of a debate in my mind, because i think Pienaar is a better 9 than 10 as well.

I think that Marshall should be starting a lot of games though. Ulster should be looking towards a sustainable IQ halfback group in the case of Pienaar leaving.

Yep and Marshall has started loads of games this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Ulster should be playing their strongest available team, end off. For me that's still RP at 9 and PJ at 10. Especially if RP is going to be place kicking. Otherwise when RP leaves we'll be in a right mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Will certainly be interesting to see who kicks for the next two HC games, seems pretty unanimous that everyone thinks Jackson had a better game without the pressure of kicking.

Hopefully Nick starts at #8 too and bring on Roger around the hour mark.

Will certainly be interesting to see who kicks for the next two HC games, seems pretty unanimous that everyone thinks Jackson had a better game without the pressure of kicking.

Hopefully Nick starts at #8 too and bring on Roger around the hour mark.

It seemed to take the pressure of him although he was kicking at the end and still playing very well but by then there was no pressure. Its fine for now but eventually he will have to come to terms with the kicking duties.

One irony from last night is that RTE watched ROGs performance and decided it was Jacksons place in the Ulster team that was worthy of debate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

It seemed to take the pressure of him although he was kicking at the end and still playing very well but by then there was no pressure. Its fine for now but eventually he will have to come to terms with the kicking duties.

One irony from last night is that RTE watched ROGs performance and decided it was Jacksons place in the Ulster team that was worthy of debate...

There's that mentality among Irish commentators in particular that kicking the ball out of play for a gain of 10 metres is a good thing. That said ROG is doing the same he's always done only arguably better now than ever, its just that he no longer suits those around him, pundits will never look to him at being the issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Madigan was protected from the pressure of place kicking where possible up until this season, and his all round play has developed well because of this. In the Ulster situation it's a no brainer for me. Pienaar is not only more experienced, he is probably a better kicker. 10 doesn't need to kick, and at his age PJ should be learning how to play outhalf, not worrying about his kicking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Tox56 wrote: »
    Madigan was protected from the pressure of place kicking where possible up until this season, and his all round play has developed well because of this. In the Ulster situation it's a no brainer for me. Pienaar is not only more experienced, he is probably a better kicker. 10 doesn't need to kick, and at his age PJ should be learning how to play outhalf, not worrying about his kicking.

....................while learning to kick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement