Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I would have liked to see one of Marshall or Gilroy starting (similar to how Schmidt approaches home and away games differently), but that's a very strong team.

I don't think there was any way Trimble was going to be left out after last week and Wallace was pretty good too although I thought Marshall had an excellent 15 minute cameo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

bilston wrote: »
    I don't think there was any way Trimble was going to be left out after last week and Wallace was pretty good too although I thought Marshall had an excellent 15 minute cameo.

In fairness, dropping Trimble would have been an awful slap in the face, considering how well he played. If anyone was to be dropped for Gilroy, it should be Bowe (and that wasn't going to happen).

But I would like to see Gilroy and Marshall get more gametime this week than last. Hopefully at least 20-30 minutes each.

In fairness, dropping Trimble would have been an awful slap in the face, considering how well he played. If anyone was to be dropped for Gilroy, it should be Bowe (and that wasn't going to happen).

But I would like to see Gilroy and Marshall get more gametime this week than last. Hopefully at least 20-30 minutes each.

It would be nice but I guess we'll see how the game goes. I hope and would expect both Gilroy and Marshall to start next week against Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's not too bad I think.

Connacht tonight, Leinster followed by Ulster tomorrow, and then Munster on Sunday. For me anyway there's no overlap of games that I want to watch except maybe Ospreys Toulouse and Treviso Leicester.

Forgot the Connacht game was on tv. Nice one!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Ulster back rower Chris Henry has completed all 39 tackles he has attempted this season, only Jamie Heaslip (40) has made more.
    • Ulster have completed 94% of their attempted tackles this season, the best success rate in the competition.
    • Ulster have won the most turnovers (37) this season, conversely Northampton have turned over the most ball (58).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Bad news on the injury front for Tommy from last night, full update here http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11033.php

Tommy Bowe suffered a knee injury in the closing stages of Ulster's 9 points to 10 Heineken Cup defeat to Northampton Saints at Ravenhill last night. An initial scan this morning revealed that he has sustained significant lateral ligament damage to his right knee. He will undergo surgery later this week to repair the damage. At this stage it is not possible to put a timescale on how long his recovery period will be. A further update on this will be issued following the surgery, when the full extent of the injury will be known.

Bad news on the injury front for Tommy from last night, full update here http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11033.php

Tommy Bowe suffered a knee injury in the closing stages of Ulster's 9 points to 10 Heineken Cup defeat to Northampton Saints at Ravenhill last night. An initial scan this morning revealed that he has sustained significant lateral ligament damage to his right knee. He will undergo surgery later this week to repair the damage. At this stage it is not possible to put a timescale on how long his recovery period will be. A further update on this will be issued following the surgery, when the full extent of the injury will be known.

Sounds season ending but I guess we'll know more after the surgery takes place. Ulster will cope though with Gilroy coming in as will Ireland but Bowe is a classy operator and its a real shame. Muller, Ferris an Bowe with minor injuries to Tuohy and Jackson shows a lengthening and worrying injury list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭Banbridgeman2

I'm getting less and less confident as injuries take their toll

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Thornley seems to think "up to 12 weeks" for Bowe.

Thornley seems to think "up to 12 weeks" for Bowe.

Time will tell but given the nature of the injury that probably wouldn't be the worst outcome. It would have him back for the last run of games in the league and for any knockout matches Ulster may have. In fact looking at my calender 12 weeks might even put him in contention for the last couple of rounds of the 6Ns.

It's bad timing for Tommy though given the upcoming 6Ns and Lions tour, not to mention the form of Craig Gilroy at Ulster and both Gilroy and Simon Zebo at Ireland level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

First loss of the season... It was going to happen people, lets face it.

Its not nice losing, nor is it nice losing at home after a long run (a record for Ulster). We didnt play well on Saturday but neither did we in Italy and the Munster game was a close one too. We were lucky to carry on without losing up until Sat...

Some Ulster fans are claiming that injuries are starting to take their toll but I dont believe it for a second. Our "biggest loss" Stephen Ferris cant string 3 games together and Henderson has been an excellent stand in. Our pack is a match for any out there with or without him, Muller or Stevenson. We have played without them for most of the season and managed our winning streak... Games are won with the forwards as we all know, so this bunch are doing something right. Yes, the injuries have forced players to change positions (I dont like Williams at 6) but as I said above, they must be doing something right.

Bowes injury will open the door for Gilroy too.

We could have won on Saturday if Hartley hadn't of greased the ball up. Time to relax Ulster, dont worry about keeping the record going and keep playing the way we were. I think the record talk started to get to them, its bound to.

The highlight of the night however, was greeting the Northampton team as they were getting off the bus with SUFTUM wearing our santa suits and waving flags... Big Lawes face was a picture. The travelling fans thought it was funny too....

We ARE still top of the league and group.... would anyone have predicted that at the start of the season? I think not. Leinster will be hurting too so this weekends game will be good for the neutral and hopefully Ulster can pull it off :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Some Ulster fans are claiming that injuries are starting to take their toll but I dont believe it for a second. Our "biggest loss" Stephen Ferris cant string 3 games together and Henderson has been an excellent stand in. Our pack is a match for any out there with or without him, Muller or Stevenson. We have played without them for most of the season and managed our winning streak... Games are won with the forwards as we all know, so this bunch are doing something right. Yes, the injuries have forced players to change positions (I dont like Williams at 6) but as I said above, they must be doing something right.
    Ferris being missing is a case of well what else did you expect and there is excellent cover for Bowe. However Ulster have only played three games this season without one of Muller and Stevenson.

Those were against Aironi, Treviso and Northampton.

Ulster are a lot better with one of them in the row and with Henderson at 6 at the moment, partially because I don't rate Williams at 6 or over 80 minutes and partially because I think Henderson isn't as good in the row as he is at 6.

I think Ulster need two of their top three locks available. At the moment Muller and Stevenson is injured and Tuohy is doubtful (he picked up a calf strain at the weekend, no update yet).

They may be going into the weekend with none of their top 3 locks available.

Just seen the news about Tuohy there Ciaran. I spoke too soon... doh.... looks like Ulster will just have to beat Leinster with no locks haha. Heres hoping... keep the faith :)

I'm hoping Stevenson is fit this weekend but he'll probablt come back via the bench. I expect the row will be McComb and Henderson, although I'd be tempted to start Alan O'Connor or James Simpson and play Henderson at 6. That's probably a long shot though.

I'm not sure what to expect from Ulster this weekend team wise.

Maybe something like this...

15 Payne
    14 Trimble
    13 Cave
    12 Marshall
    11 Gilroy
    10 O'Connor
    9 Marshall
    1 Black
    2 Best
    3 Afoa
    4 Henderson
    5 McComb
    6 Diack
    7 Henry
    8 Williams

Maybe rest Pienaar, Wallace and Wilson. Jackson and Tuohy are injury doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It'd be a bit mad if Alan O'Connor played!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭overshoot

Maybe rest Pienaar, Wallace and Wilson. Jackson and Tuohy are injury doubts.
    I don't think id rest them, we kinda need to bounce back and a win against leinstwr would be long overdue. Pienaar at 10 definately, id prefer Wallace and Wilson to start but would be happy with their cover.
    Stevenson has to play some part too... Just a matter of how much he is fit for

overshoot wrote: »
    I don't think id rest them, we kinda need to bounce back and a win against leinstwr would be long overdue. Pienaar at 10 definately, id prefer Wallace and Wilson to start but would be happy with their cover.
    Stevenson has to play some part too... Just a matter of how much he is fit for

We do need to win but Pienaar in particular needs a break, I'd give him 2 or 3 weeks old. People will say he's getting x amount of money but he's no use to us if he is knackered. He hasn't had a break for two years now. Marshall deserves a start at 12 anyway and I think he offers as much as Paddy anyway. I prefer Wilson at 8 to Williams but there's not much in it and I'd prefer Williams at 8 than at 6. Stevenson shouldn't play any part if he isn't fit. Listen this isn't a crisis, we lost one game, we're still doing fine!

It'd be a bit mad if Alan O'Connor played!

Yeah but we're literally down to the bare bones. I'd say McComb and Henderson will start in the second row and Diack would start there before O'Connor or Simpson anyway. It was really just me thinking out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭overshoot

We do need to win but Pienaar in particular needs a break, I'd give him 2 or 3 weeks old. People will say he's getting x amount of money but he's no use to us if he is knackered. He hasn't had a break for two years now. Marshall deserves a start at 12 anyway and I think he offers as much as Paddy anyway. I prefer Wilson at 8 to Williams but there's not much in it and I'd prefer Williams at 8 than at 6. Stevenson shouldn't play any part if he isn't fit. Listen this isn't a crisis, we lost one game, we're still doing fine!
    may have jumbled my words a bit, pienaar is the only one of the 3 id be disappointed at not seeing (mostly for my fear of NOC), and on stevenson in, i wasnt saying bring an unfit man on for the game, more i meant we do need him on the pitch for a while as we are light in the second row definitely (and id rather henderson at 6) but outside of that im not seeing it as a injury crisis, plenty of depth now in the squad...
    just taken some beatings of leinster in the last while and want to get one over them, although you are right in that pienaar is due a rest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Just wondering where Adam D'arcy is? Dont think I've seen him play for ye in a while..is he injured?

• Advertisement

macslash wrote: »
    Just wondering where Adam D'arcy is? Dont think I've seen him play for ye in a while..is he injured?

He has been injured but has been playing for the Ravens over the last two weeks, he should feature on Friday from the bench though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'm surprised Ulster aren't marketing the Leinster game as "The Real Last Stand" as the world is due to end that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭backawaygo onahead

I expect the team to be more or less as Bilston posted with teh possible exception of one or both half backs.

If fit I expect Red Paddy beside Ruan, otherwise Ruan outside Small p.

I understand the chances of Mr D'Arcy appearing on the bench is short odds. Not everyone's cup of cocoa but I like him as a potential impact sub, the boy has pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

How long is Muller out for?

• Administrators Posts: 53,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Swan Curry wrote: »
    How long is Muller out for?
    Broken arm so 8 weeks or so I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

awec wrote: »
    Broken arm so 8 weeks or so I guess?
    His arm is broken?I thought it was just the thumb again.

• Administrators Posts: 53,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Aye it's his arm.

Yea, broken arm. However, its a fracture so not a full break

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

Yea, broken arm. However, its a fracture so not a full break
    A fractured bone is a broken bone. What matters is the extent of the fracture (or break). In Muller's case it is an undisplaced fracture which means the bone is aligned pretty well and usually requires less treatment than a displaced fracture where movement at either side of the fracture is common

• Advertisement

Ulster team

15 Jared Payne
    14 Andrew Trimble
    13 Darren Cave
    12 Luke Marshall
    11 Craig Gilroy
    10 Paddy Jackson
    9 Ruan Pienaar
    1 Tom Court
    2 Rory Best