Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Far more likely we'd see him at 6 with Henderson in the second row.

Or else Ferris being used as a super sub to prolong his career.

Imagine playing 60minutes of top pace rugby and then see Stephen ****ing Ferris coming off the bench to take up the blindside flanker role against you.

As awesome as that sounds, if Ferris is fit to play I would want him starting. He is simply too good to leave out of any team.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Don't think we'll be seeing Henderson in the row too much this year

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭backawaygo onahead

Ferris could be forced to 7 or 8 yet

I'm afraid that mightn't be the issue. With the many and varied injuries it is becoming an uncomfortable question, how long can he play now? Contract up at the end of the season, I am beginning to wonder will he be offered a new contract.

The number of times he has played in the last few seasons makes it a question a club will ask and I know it sounds like heresy but I am worried, furthermore insurers must be twitchy and lastly I hope the stress he is putting his body through doesn't leave him wrecked for the rest of his days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Don't think we'll be seeing Henderson in the row too much this year

He played most of the second half last week in the row. In fact one of the first things he did when he moved to lock was steal a Scarlets lineout jumping at 2, but with Ferris out then Henderson will play 6, although Robbie Diack is playing well also and Williams has played 6 a couple of times for us so even without Ferris there is competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

15 Ben Foden, 14 Ken Pisi, 13 George Pisi, 12 Dom Waldouck, 11 Jamie Elliott, 10 Ryan Lamb, 9 Martin Roberts, 8 Gerrit-Jan van Velze, 7 Tom Wood, 6 Calum Clark, 5 Courtney Lawes, 4 Samu Manoa, 3 Brian Mujati, 2 Dylan Hartley, 1 Soane Tonga'uiha.

is a strong team but i think individually ulster are better and only courtney lawes, george pisi, tom wood and soane tonga'uiha would make it into the ulster starting team

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

leonard7 wrote: »
    15 Ben Foden, 14 Ken Pisi, 13 George Pisi, 12 Dom Waldouck, 11 Jamie Elliott, 10 Ryan Lamb, 9 Martin Roberts, 8 Gerrit-Jan van Velze, 7 Tom Wood, 6 Calum Clark, 5 Courtney Lawes, 4 Samu Manoa, 3 Brian Mujati, 2 Dylan Hartley, 1 Soane Tonga'uiha.

is a strong team but i think individually ulster are better and only courtney lawes, george pisi, tom wood and soane tonga'uiha would make it into the ulster starting team

Who would Wood be ahead of?

I'd take Foden and play him at 15 moving Payne to 13 and dropping Cave to the bench rather than Pisi. Yeah Lawes and Tonga'uiha would get into the Ulster team too.

id say after his performance at the weekend wood could take hendersons spot at 6 and yeh payne is a better 13 than pisi although i hadnt considered that

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Who would Wood be ahead of?

I'd take Foden and play him at 15 moving Payne to 13 and dropping Cave to the bench rather than Pisi. Yeah Lawes and Tonga'uiha would get into the Ulster team too.

I think dunno, I think Cave is criminally under rated. Pisi looked good in the AIs, but I fancy the no-frills Cave will show him a trick or two. Wouldn't be surprised if Cave puts him on his arse early on in the game.

Pisi is one of the best players in the premiership imo, especially beside Ken. Wouldn't have Cave or Payne ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Pisi is one of the best players in the premiership imo, especially beside Ken. Wouldn't have Cave or Payne ahead of him.

This season, I'd agree with you. But he's been prone to absolute nightmare games previously.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »

This season, I'd agree with you. But he's been prone to absolute nightmare games previously.
    "Prone" is a complete overstatement! You must be able to give a few examples if that's the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I love watching Pisi, great athlete. Cave and Payne are different types of players but there isn't much in it. Pisi has been electric whenever I've seen him recently though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

In fairness the only nightmare I can think of was Munster last season and that was out of position at full back. He's an excellent centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I think dunno, I think Cave is criminally under rated. Pisi looked good in the AIs, but I fancy the no-frills Cave will show him a trick or two. Wouldn't be surprised if Cave puts him on his arse early on in the game.

Well played..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Still wouldn't?????????????????????? boots lace fit not up to their. Arrange into a well known phrase or saying.

after todays match id struggle to put any player from northampton on that ulster team despite thinking beforehand tonghuia, lawes, pisi and wood would be worth a shout.... i love being corrected by ulster when they play like this...c'mon the boys

Ravens team for tomorrow

(15-9): Adam D’Arcy; Ricky Andrew, Michael Allen, Niall O’Connor, Chris Cochrane; Stuart Olding, Michael Heaney;
    (1-8): Conor Carey, Niall Annett, Richard Lutton, James Simpson, Neil McComb (capt), Conor Joyce, Ali Birch, Mike McComish;
    Replacements (16-22): Rob Herring, Adam Macklin, Alan O’Connor, Sean O’Connell, Blane McIlroy, Stuart McCloskey, Rory Scholes.

Nice to see Allen and Macklin returning.

Interesting to see NOC at 12 rather than 10.

Ravens team for tomorrow

(15-9): Adam D’Arcy; Ricky Andrew, Michael Allen, Niall O’Connor, Chris Cochrane; Stuart Olding, Michael Heaney;
    (1-8): Conor Carey, Niall Annett, Richard Lutton, James Simpson, Neil McComb (capt), Conor Joyce, Ali Birch, Mike McComish;
    Replacements (16-22): Rob Herring, Adam Macklin, Alan O’Connor, Sean O’Connell, Blane McIlroy, Stuart McCloskey, Rory Scholes.

Nice to see Allen and Macklin returning.

Interesting to see NOC at 12 rather than 10.

Yeah I wonder if they are trying something with NOC at 12 or whether it's a vote of confidence in Olding. In fairness NOC has done ok for Ulster in the last few weeks. Good to see D'Arcy back.

bilston wrote: »
    Yeah I wonder if they are trying something with NOC at 12 or whether it's a vote of confidence in Olding. In fairness NOC has done ok for Ulster in the last few weeks. Good to see D'Arcy back.

Hopefully they're using this period to give Olding a chance to integrate himself into the side. Maybe we'll even see him for the 1sts before the end of the season? Of course he has u20 rugby to play as well

jacothelad wrote: »
    Still wouldn't?????????????????????? boots lace fit not up to their. Arrange into a well known phrase or saying.

Well I'd have Payne ahead of him, not Cave though. Pisi is a special player (although not sure about Ken, he seems very dodgy).

• Advertisement

Well I'd have Payne ahead of him, not Cave though. Pisi is a special player (although not sure about Ken, he seems very dodgy).

Cave was outstanding last night, had his opposite number in his pocket all night...of course one game doesn't make a summer and all that but on the basis of last night Pisi over Cave...not for me...

bilston wrote: »
    Cave was outstanding last night, had his opposite number in his pocket all night...of course one game doesn't make a summer and all that but on the basis of last night Pisi over Cave...not for me...

You're just comparing them directly here and not taking into account what was going on around them. I think if you put Pisi into a team like Ulster he would run riot. He's a quality player. I'd have Payne ahead of him though, there's something special about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Are the highlights available on line ? Am abroad, missed the game and itching to at least see the tries!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I am pie wrote: »
    Are the highlights available on line ? Am abroad, missed the game and itching to at least see the tries!

Here are the 4 tries anyway:

Which just goes to prove my friend that hindsight can make a mug of the best of us.;)

Daren still massively underrated, The Payne has more class than a classroom fully of top class, classy people.:D

Ooops just noticed its not just hindsight, you still don't rate Darren.:eek:

Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

Just saw on twitter that Muller is out for 8 weeks, going to be missed.

phog wrote: »
    Just saw on twitter that Muller is out for 8 weeks, going to be missed.

How long is Stevenson out for?

His return could cushion the blow but if Ulster has to go without Muller and Stevenson there could be trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 QwertyIII

Suggested 6 weeks at the time, which would put his return next week but haven't heard anything recently about him close to a return or training.

• Advertisement

There is good news and bad news.

Lewis may well be back next week. Good

Johann may not be the only broken bone last night. Sorry sworn to secrecy. Bad

What a bastard, Johann is so important to us. That said Big Lewis was in cracking form before injury, McComb did a reasonable job & of course Henderson naturally & Diack at a pinch can do a job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement