Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Ulster squad:

Forwards:
    Rob Herring, Rory Best,
    Callum Black, Tom Court, Declan Fitzpatrick, John Afoa,
    Neil McComb, Johann Muller, Dan Tuohy,
    Iain Henderson, Robbie Diack, Mike McComish, Roger Wilson, Nick Williams.

Backs:
    Michael Heaney, Paul Marshall,
    Niall O'Connor, Paddy Jackson,
    Luke Marshall, Darren Cave,
    Tommy Bowe, Andrew Trimble, Craig Gilroy, Jared Payne, Peter Nelson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20508485

Great news on Best, the reports at the time of his injury were worrying. No second row crisis either with Muller back now.

Going to Scarlets will be a test for Ulster, Scarlets have to be delighted with the Munster win. If Scarlets have their internationals back they will be a tough prospect, their backline is weakened without Scott Williams, Davies and North.

No Paddy Wallace, is he injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No Paddy Wallace, is he injured?

Maybe he's got the week off as well or he's picked up a knock. Tbh if I was him I'd want to play in this since Marshall is breathing down his neck. Wallace is a classy player though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ulster squad:

Forwards:
    Rob Herring, Rory Best,
    Callum Black, Tom Court, Declan Fitzpatrick, John Afoa,
    Neil McComb, Johann Muller, Dan Tuohy,
    Iain Henderson, Robbie Diack, Mike McComish, Roger Wilson, Nick Williams.

Backs:
    Michael Heaney, Paul Marshall,
    Niall O'Connor, Paddy Jackson,
    Luke Marshall, Darren Cave,
    Tommy Bowe, Andrew Trimble, Craig Gilroy, Jared Payne, Peter Nelson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20508485

Great news on Best, the reports at the time of his injury were worrying. No second row crisis either with Muller back now.

Going to Scarlets will be a test for Ulster, Scarlets have to be delighted with the Munster win. If Scarlets have their internationals back they will be a tough prospect, their backline is weakened without Scott Williams, Davies and North.

Sure Wales are playing Australia so the Scarlets will be badly weakened, however they did beat Munster away last week with the team I assume they'll have out on Sunday so there are no guarentees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

bilston wrote: »
    Sure Wales are playing Australia so the Scarlets will be badly weakened, however they did beat Munster away last week with the team I assume they'll have out on Sunday so there are no guarentees.

That was a pretty lucky win though in fairness. They weren't the dominant team at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thecowboy83

Rory and Simon Best on Ear to the Ground at 830 on RTE 1 tonight

• Advertisement

Team to play the Scarlets on Sunday

15 Peter Nelson
    14 Andrew Trimble
    13 Darren Cave
    12 Luke Marshall
    11 Craig Gilroy
    10 Paddy Jackson
    9 Paul Marshall
    1 Callum Black
    2 Rob Herring
    3 John Afoa
    4 Johann Muller
    5 Neil McComb
    6 Iain Henderson
    7 Robbie Diack
    8 Roger Wilson

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

bilston wrote: »
    Team to play the Scarlets on Sunday

15 Peter Nelson
    14 Andrew Trimble
    13 Darren Cave
    12 Luke Marshall
    11 Craig Gilroy
    10 Paddy Jackson
    9 Paul Marshall
    1 Callum Black
    2 Rob Herring
    3 John Afoa
    4 Johann Muller
    5 Neil McComb
    6 Iain Henderson
    7 Robbie Diack
    8 Roger Wilson

and the bench
    Replacements (16-23): R Best, T Court, R Lutton, D Tuohy, M McComish, M Heaney, N O'Connor, T Bowe.

Nice to see Muller and Tuohy return to the 23

Diack at 7 is going to be different. I don't think he has played there before.

Hopefully Marshall and Cave can have a good game and continue to build a partnership

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Could Henderson, Williams and Wilson play in the same backrow?

and the bench
    Replacements (16-23): R Best, T Court, R Lutton, D Tuohy, M McComish, M Heaney, N O'Connor, T Bowe.

Nice to see Muller and Tuohy return to the 23

Diack at 7 is going to be different. I don't think he has played there before.

Hopefully Marshall and Cave can have a good game and continue to build a partnership

That's both Ulster and Leinster with unusual selections at 7 this weekend. I think that with Henry rested and Doyle injured the only other O/S we have us Birch and I get the feeling Anscombe isn't a huge fan as I'm pretty sure he's fit again after injury.

I like the backs especially when you think Tommy is on the bench and Ruan and Jared aren't even in the 23! Nelson is so full of running but I worry a bit about him at the back. I still maintain he's a 13 but the pros think differently an who am I to question them as they haven't got much wrong this season.

Just to say that that entire backline came through (or in Nelson's case is still coming through) the Ulster Academy. Great to see. I hope Hugh Farrelly is reading from somewhere in rugby journo Heaven...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Could Henderson, Williams and Wilson play in the same backrow?
    Maybe against Malahide u13s!

Where's Big Nick?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Is Payne being rested?

emmet02 wrote: »
    Where's Big Nick?

Think he still has sore ribs

.ak wrote: »
    Is Payne being rested?

Yep. Off the top of my head he has played in every game this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Where's Big Nick?

Henry, Williams, Pienaar, Wallace and Payne all being rested for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

We have the team to win, especially with Wales playing this WE.... but a performance anything like the last 2 weeks will be a loss for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

• Registered Users Posts: 42 QwertyIII

Forwards (16) Rob Herring, Rory Best, Nigel Brady, Ricky Lutton, Callum Black, Tom Court, John Afoa, Neil McComb, Johann Muller, Dan Tuohy, Iain Henderson, Robbie Diack, Chris Henry, Mike McComish, Roger Wilson, Nick Williams.

Backs (11) Ruan Pienaar, Paul Marshall, Paddy Jackson, Paddy Wallace, Luke Marshall, Darren Cave, Michael Allen, Tommy Bowe, Andrew Trimble, Craig Gilroy, Jared Payne.

Squad announced, will be good to see most of the internationals back.

Afoa, best, court
    Muller, tuohy
    Henry, Henderson, have been enjoying watching roger the last few games but guessing big nick as he was rested last week.

Ruan, pj,
    Gilroy, Wallace, cave, bowe & the Payne.

Probably won't happen, but what about bowe at fb again, Payne stays at centre with Wallace, with Gilroy & Trimble on the wings. Leaves little options of the bench tho.

What yous think?

Regardless of the team, looking forward to the double header, biggest test so far this season.

Afoa Best Court
    Muller Tuohy
    Henderson Wilson Henry,
    Pienaar Jackson
    Wallace Cave
    Gilroy Payne Bowe

Herring Black Fitzpatrick Williams Diack Marshall Marshall Trimble

Taht would be my team Gilroy edges Trimble by an inch, I'm not a fan of McComb so with Stevenson's injury Henderson gets to be the lock cover, and Williams is available as an impact sub.

• Advertisement

Is it just me or does Ulsters squad lack option at openside flanker? with the possibility of Henry being involved with Ireland this year, meaning he might be unavailable quite a bit. You only have one other out and out 7 in Sean Doyle and he's injured at the moment.

Is it just me or does Ulsters squad lack option at openside flanker? with the possibility of Henry being involved with Ireland this year, meaning he might be unavailable quite a bit. You only have one other out and out 7 in Sean Doyle and he's injured at the moment.

There is Ali Birch too but he doesn't seem to be in favour with Anscombe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hasn't Diack been playing there?

Wouldn't be their strongest position for depth, Faloon was a useful player to have around.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Hasn't Diack been playing there?

Wouldn't be their strongest position for depth, Faloon was a useful player to have around.

He's a decent 6/8 but I wouldn't really see him as an openside. Ulster could do with another natural 7.

Diack has been the "Utility Pack member" this season and has revelled in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Conor Joyce might end up a 7. A shame Ali Birch hasn't stepped up, I thought he would.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Always thought of Conor Joyce as more of a 6, but it is not a big transition.

QwertyIII wrote: »
    Squad announced, will be good to see most of the internationals back.

Afoa, best, court
    Muller, tuohy
    Henry, Henderson, have been enjoying watching roger the last few games but guessing big nick as he was rested last week.

Ruan, pj,
    Gilroy, Wallace, cave, bowe & the Payne.

Probably won't happen, but what about bowe at fb again, Payne stays at centre with Wallace, with Gilroy & Trimble on the wings. Leaves little options of the bench tho.

What yous think?

Regardless of the team, looking forward to the double header, biggest test so far this season.

Apparently Kidney wants Bowe at 15 and Trimble and Gilroy on the wings with Payne at 13.

That doesn't suit Ulster at the minute though.

With this being the away leg I imagine Anscombe will go with experience so the team will IMO be...

15 Payne, 14 Bowe, 13 Cave, 12 Wallace, 11 Trimble, 10 Jackson, 9 Pienaar

1 Court, 2 Best, 3 Afoa, 4 Muller (c), 5 Tuohy, 6 Henderson, 7 Henry, 8 Wilson

Black, Diack, Williams, Marshall, Marshall and Gilroy amongst the replacements.

I could see Gilroy starting next week in the Ravers leg of the double header.

**** off Declan.

Cave may not be in your plans, but he'll be in Anscombe and your replacement's!

That is a TremenJous bench Ulster have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

**** off Declan.

Cave may not be in your plans, but he'll be in Anscombe and your replacement's!

That is a TremenJous bench Ulster have.

I don't see why Kidney would want Payne at 13 ahead of a guy who can actually play for Ireland now as opposed to maybe 18 months away when hopefully Kidney will be long gone. Also why would Kidney want Bowe at 15 when he has Zebo there if needed, Earls, Noddy, Hurley, Big Agnes, the Munster Tea lady, the fat bird who howls before the games at Thomond and then Dave Kearney. Also Big Bro Kearney will be back soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement