Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

I am looking forward to todays jog...what has happened to me?! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Does anyone do other fitness programs along with jogging? I'm getting my 3 jogs (don't think I can call what I do running :D) in each week and want to start doing some weights on my non running days.

I did some reasonably light weights yesterday and was planning on doing 5k this evening but I'm (more than) a bit stiff today! I'm sure it will lessen the more I do them but I don't want my jogging to suffer due to it.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Here's something some of you who have graduated from c25k may be interested in. It does eat into time you could be running but for anyone considering running longer distances its an area you should really pay attention to now.

I'm giving it another go myself as its an area I know i need to improve.

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/

I'll bump this post again in case you didn't see it Northern Monkey.

I haven't started it yet but I intend to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'll bump this post again in case you didn't see it Northern Monkey.

I haven't started it yet but I intend to.

I'm halfway through this at the moment my second time to try it, First time I gave up in the second week, I was only running a while at the time and just couldn't or wasn't prepared to spend the time it takes to do it , Not sure which now.

It takes me up to half an hour each morning, I'm finding it tough enough but I am not the most supple of people, tight hamstrings don't help. My upper body strength is not great either so holding a plank while doing other stretches is difficult to me too.

On the plus side I am definitely noticing small improvements in my movements each week so will stick with it to the end of the 30 days. So overall IMO its tough going but worth the effort. I will continue with some of the exercises once ive finished the 30 days.

I also do a Pilates Class once a week and I really enjoy that and think its hugely beneficial to my running. I started it earlier this year when I was running 30 to 40 mile weeks and I think it kept me on the road. I always felt great the day after my Pilates class/

I know there are quite a few runners here who also do Pilates as part of their strength and conditioning program.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Graduated early this month and I've a couple of 5k's under my belt!

Unfortunately got a little bit of a toe injury and have missed a week :(

Got back out last night and did 3.06k in a very unfit 21.56 :)

Hoping for 5k again tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Fair play, happy to hear that you're sticking with it after the set back.

As Laura says doesn't matter the speed just once you get the distance done!

Final run in week 9 done... I am a graduate!!! :D

Going to attempt a 5k park run at home this weekend, I reckon I could manage the extra distance (hopefully!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Well done Messy, That fantastic news.

Congrats messy, looking forward to the day I get to say those words!

Done week 5 run 2 today.. both looking toward to run 3 and dreadding it at the same time.

I've gotten this far before so I know I can do it but based on tonights jog, not feeling too confident.

sumsar wrote: »

I've gotten this far before so I know I can do it but based on tonights jog, not feeling too confident.

Off day was it?

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    Off day was it?

Yeah, to be fair.. I just realized why, was foolish and had some drinks last night so hopefully Fridays run is better.

Yeah, to be fair.. I just realized why, was foolish and had some drinks last night so hopefully Fridays run is better.

You got to let the hair down sometimes too, at least u know the cause .

Week 5 finished, delighted.

Well done Sumsar, Chances are that you will finish the plan once you pass the half way mark :)

I started the first run of week one yesterday and man did I curse her when she said there was just two more 60 second runs to do. Just! I could have dropped there and then!

Haven't started reading much of this thread yet but I love it already! :D

This was exactly two months ago. I am replying to my own post as it just shows how brilliant this programme is. I went from being super unfit where I found the 60 seconds jog a struggle, to being able to run 5k. Felt on top of the world after a park run at the weekend! :D So basically my point is if I can do this anyone can!! Put your faith in Laura / whatever plan you are using - you got this!!!

Also I'm doing the NHS choices stepping stone programme so don't kick me off this thread just yet!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26 slanket

Hi all,

I'm currently on week 3 day 2, I completed this last Friday week but I've been sick since. I'm going to start back tonight but should I start week 3 again or try and do week 3 day 3 & see how I go?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Just continue from where you left off. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cookie_fan

Week 5 finished, delighted.

You have pulled ahead of me I am on w5 d2 will finish w5 by the end of the week. This thread is keeping me going to be honest, I don't want to come on here saying I have given up for whatever reason... Long may it last!!!

slanket wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm currently on week 3 day 2, I completed this last Friday week but I've been sick since. I'm going to start back tonight but should I start week 3 again or try and do week 3 day 3 & see how I go?

I had the same and just continued on where I stopped, will be no bother to you

Cookie_fan wrote:
    You have pulled ahead of me I am on w5 d2 will finish w5 by the end of the week. This thread is keeping me going to be honest, I don't want to come on here saying I have given up for whatever reason... Long may it last!!!

I understand exactly what you're saying, during one of my jogs last week there was a moment where I thought to myself something along the lines of 'soon I can post on the thread I finished week 5!' And that was my main motivation.

In fact, I think the thread pops into my head during every jog, not just what I say but also during some jogs certain things others say pops into my head.

There are a bunch of regulars here who some of their reads have been very inspiring. Can't praise this thread enough.

• Advertisement

Week 6 day 2 done. **** gets real from here.

**** gets real from here.

Haha brilliant. That made me laugh.

This thread is a fantastic motivator. Its great to be able to post and be proud of how you are progressing. When I was using C25K app I really looked forward posting on here when I was finished.

W5 down, all I can say is I am dreading the next week, think it is a make or break week for me. Wish me luck! I will try and get out either Sunday or Monday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Nah, no luck needed. If you have done WK 5 then WK 6 won't be a problem for you. Just continue doing what you've been doing, and if you feel any signs of fatigue in running any of the distances, slow your pace down.

Cookie_fan wrote:
    W5 down, all I can say is I am dreading the next week, think it is a make or break week for me. Wish me luck! I will try and get out either Sunday or Monday.

I finished week 6 today.

I had a love / hate relationship with it, during each run there were moments where in my head I had negative thoughts but I knew it was all in my head so kept pushing those negative thoughts back.

After each run I was delighted and looking forward to the next..

Odd that I look forward to the next, then at times during that next run I think negative thoughts (at times) thankfully there are plenty of positive thoughts to overcome those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I finished week 6 today.

I had a love / hate relationship with it, during each run there were moments where in my head I had negative thoughts but I knew it was all in my head so kept pushing those negative thoughts back.

After each run I was delighted and looking forward to the next..

Odd that I look forward to the next, then at times during that next run I think negative thoughts (at times) thankfully there are plenty of positive thoughts to overcome those.

I have been hating running, was doing it because I said I would, but wasn't enjoying the actual running bit, loved the buzz afterwards and the feeling of satisfaction, but didn't think I would ever actually like the running. However, I now am, I did 4 miles on Thursday with a friend, chatting all the way round, which was great, and made the distance fly by. 6 miles this morning, and probably for the first time doing a longer distance, I wasn't bored, and enjoyed the actual running, it wasn't just a 'get round and then I can stop' thing.

When I did the C25K, I was very tempted sometimes to push on and do more, but I think it works really well if you stick to the plan as much as possible.

Due to start week 7 today, I'm 100% going to attempt it regardless of the weather, I just hope that the wind is not so strong it makes it difficult for me.

Regardless, I've gotten this far without repeating any weeks or runs, I just hope it doesn't happen at this late stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Starting again tomorrow. Had a bereavement and was off work sick. Hope I can keep it up this time.

Due to start week 7 today, I'm 100% going to attempt it regardless of the weather, I just hope that the wind is not so strong it makes it difficult for me.

Try a route where your back is to the wind. If you are facing
    the breeze head on it will effect your breathing and well as dust in your eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Starting again tomorrow. Had a bereavement and was off work sick. Hope I can keep it up this time.

Very sorry to hear that. Was wondering why you hadn't been posting your training runs. Good luck getting back into it.

Advertisement