Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

The gods were on my side today, no wind or rain, week 7 day 1 done.

Was feeling it in the legs today, good sign I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Injured, so frustrating.
    Graduated last month and have been having niggly toe and ankle pains since. Really missing it. Never thought I would but would love to be out doing 5k tonight instead of sitting with the foot up.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,353 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Not as impressive as ye guys and gals but Week 1 Day 1 done :D

I feel mighty proud of myself as I was talking myself out of turning up tonight but I gave myself a boot up the backside.

One thing I did learn from tonight is that perhaps I will have my dinner at lunchtime in work, as I did have a stitch in the side during the warm up and the first few runs/walks. Thank God it eased off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

I feel mighty proud of myself as I was talking myself out of turning up tonight but I gave myself a boot up the backside.

One thing I did learn from tonight is that perhaps I will have my dinner at lunchtime in work, as I did have a stitch in the side during the warm up and the first few runs/walks. Thank God it eased off though.
    Well done - that first session is still my best memory from the whole programme. You'll be amazed how much you're capable of.

Well done - that first session is still my best memory from the whole programme. You'll be amazed how much you're capable of.

It's kind of funny but I thought other runners would be looking at us thinking "look at these unfit eejits" but I was pleasantly surprised.

The local roadrunner club ran past us and they clearly knew that we were the new Couch 2 5K class and every single one of them shouted on words of encouragement to us. Which was very nice of them.

• Advertisement

It's kind of funny but I thought other runners would be looking at us thinking "look at these unfit eejits" but I was pleasantly surprised.

Ah god no, we all have to start off somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 slanket

Starting week 4 tonight .... I'm dreading it! It seems such a jump up from week 3. Paired with the fact it's taken me 2 weeks to complete week 3 cause I've been sick & only managed week 3 day 3 last Wednesday & haven't ran since. Reading online alot of people seem to struggle with week 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

slanket wrote: »
    Starting week 4 tonight .... I'm dreading it! It seems such a jump up from week 3.

Just slow you pace down and deep breaths. You will be fine. If you need to repeat the week that is also fine. You are still doing a hell of a lot more than you were before you started.

I was also worried when I started week 4 but have some faith in the app, Its not as bad as it seems and enjoy it :)

It will be an overwhelming feeling of success when you manage it.

The hardest part for me was getting my ass of the couch to start week 1 day 1. When I finally did I ran too fast and had to stop halfway. The next day I found this thread and took the advice from the experienced runners and have not looked back yet. A slow pace and deep breathing through the mouth.

Finishing week 1 day 1 is still a big achievement. You have to make a conscious decision to improve your life. After that its only adding a bit extra each week.

pcuser wrote: »
    Just slow you pace down and deep breaths. You will be fine. If you need to repeat the week that is also fine. You are still doing a hell of a lot more than you were before you started.

I was also worried when I started week 4 but have some faith in the app, Its not as bad as it seems and enjoy it :)

It will be an overwhelming feeling of success when you manage it.

I did it! Now I won't be breaking any speed limits anytime soon but managed to complete it! Found the last 5 min run tough but my legs managed to overrule my head & I kept going. Delighted with myself :-)

• Advertisement

I did it! Now I won't be breaking any speed limits anytime soon but managed to complete it! Found the last 5 min run tough but my legs managed to overrule my head & I kept going. Delighted with myself :-)

Well done Slanket. Sometimes the battles are fought in the mind. Staying positive really helps/ Look how much you have progressed since you started :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Started week 1 day 1 again. Was harder than the first time. :(

slanket wrote:

Brilliant, good to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Just looked at what that involved. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I started and restarted a few times, don't worry, you're into it again now, keep going. It probably only felt harder, cos you know what you've got ahead of you ;)

I started Week 1 Day 1 not too long ago. I couldn't finish it, it nearly killed me. I started again the day after and took it really slow. Now im training for a half marathon and running anything from 2 miles to 8 atm.

Just take it really slow. and then slower

Week 1 Day 2

I'm shagged after tonight's run.

I did it far too quick. I went the same route that the instructor took us but unlike the 2 and half laps it took us to get the eight runs and brisk walks in, I was on to run number seven when I finished my first lap.

The sore legs from Monday and the chimney smoke all over the place did not do me any favours either.

I don't know how ye guys and gals do it. I feel a bit down in myself after the high of completing Day 1 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Week 1 Day 2

I did it far too quick. I went the same route that the instructor took us but unlike the 2 and half laps it took us to get the eight runs and brisk walks in, I was on to run number seven when I finished my first lap.

The sore legs from Monday and the chimney smoke all over the place did not do me any favours either.

I don't know how ye guys and gals do it. I feel a bit down in myself after the high of completing Day 1 :(

Don't be disheartened. At least you know where you went wrong. Slow down :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Week 1 Day 2

Well done on getting day 2 done Mustang shelly. Most of us ran too fast on starting Couch 2 5k and had similar feelings, Just slow it all down, conversational pace is what you are aiming for , ie you should be able to talk while you run, sounds wrong I know but it works.

If you listen to music while you run the nhs choices c25k podcast might help, the narrator laura gives tips on pace and encouragement during the runs, a lot of the people in this thread use them.

Slow down , Keep at it and you will definitely get there , The plan works.

Keep us posted too you'll get lots of advice and encouragement here.

http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Honestly, I jog so slow its ALMOST laughable, but the thing is.. nobody laughs because nobody cares (myself included).

The way I see it is, once I keep moving without it being a walk, im doing more than I did other wise.

• Advertisement

Week 1 Day 2

Slow it down as much as you can and when you think you are jogging much slower, Slow it down again.

Its not a race and should be enjoyable. Keep at it though it will be well worth it.

If you look at the success stories you will see that plenty of people started of jogging too fast. As soon as they slowed down they enjoyed it.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=c25k+success+stories&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE711IE711&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=662&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjYkIjom4XSAhWJF8AKHaFxB5kQ_AUIBygA&dpr=1

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

I am up to running 5k three times a week since I graduated C25K, but am having to stop about 3k as I get a wicked stitch in my side. I have switched up my routes - early mornings, lunch time, not having food before hand, to just eating porridge a few hours before it. And I still get an awful stitch. Anyone have this problem/ know how to overcome it. I usually just walk for two minutes until it eases and then go back to a jog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I am up to running 5k three times a week since I graduated C25K, but am having to stop about 3k as I get a wicked stitch in my side. I have switched up my routes - early mornings, lunch time, not having food before hand, to just eating porridge a few hours before it. And I still get an awful stitch. Anyone have this problem/ know how to overcome it. I usually just walk for two minutes until it eases and then go back to a jog.

Well done on getting to 5k x 3 times a week - that's fantastic!

The whole stitch thing is a real mystery. The common causes are: going too fast for your current fitness levels, eating and drinking too close to a run, and uneven breathing patterns. However, I've gotten stitches when going really really slowly, when running on empty and when focusing on good breathing techniques:rolleyes:
    I don't get them much anymore, but I still do get them, and nearly always in races when I want to run fast (but I also got them last year in a 24hour race when I was obviously running very slowly!) I think some people are just more pre-disposed to them than others, unfortunately.
    Things that might help:
    Eating/drinking no closer than 2 hours to running.
    Starting out your runs extremely slowly and very gradually getting progressively faster.
    Belly breathing. There is a good thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61389149 on stitches and look out especially for a brilliant post by Vinny Mulvey #7

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Oh nice one, thanks for that Ososlo. Interesting read - it is always my right side I get the stitch on. I am thinking it must be my breathing after reading that post, I definitely don't think it is result of me going too fast...I wish! :P

Will put those tips into practice, thanks again :D

I get a stitch every now and then, I completely exhale all the air in my lungs and then take a really deep breath. Thats works for me. I wouldnt advise doing this too many times in a row as it might cause you to become light headed.

Week 7 finished, enjoyed this week..

Week 4 in the bag! Finding the programme really good & can get over how far I've come in 4 weeks!

Is week 5 the week with the dreaded 20 min run at the end of it?

Is week 5 the week with the dreaded 20 min run at the end of it?

It is, but if you read back through the thread you will see almost everyone was dreading week 5. To their surprise they finished it and found it enjoyable.

When you finish your first 20 minute run you really do feel like a runner. Same as always take it slow and deep breaths.

Week 1 Day 3 done and dusted. Again I started off too fast, but slower than Thursday, and finally found my optimum speed on run six.

This was my first daytime run and I found having the sun beating down on me difficult to deal with. My face burnt up fairly quick.

I think Week 2 is something I'm going to really struggle with :( only Monday will tell.

• Advertisement

Week 1 Day 3 done and dusted. Again I started off too fast, but slower than Thursday, and finally found my optimum speed on run six.

This was my first daytime run and I found having the sun beating down on me difficult to deal with. My face burnt up fairly quick.

I think Week 2 is something I'm going to really struggle with :( only Monday will tell.

Just slow down even more. You should be able to have a conservation while you are running. Its not about speed.

Advertisement