Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I must admit, I never realised about the extra rest day, I just ran on the days I was always running.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'd think it is important to stick to the plan. The plan works so if you are going to deviate from it be very careful not to overdo it , the last thing needed in the early days is an injury which could make it very difficult to motivate yourself back into running.

That's my opinion on it as an injury was my greatest fear when I started.

Oops I haven't been doing this either. I just take my normal rest day between weeks, is this bad?

If you ran to the plan and started each week on a monday you had your two rest days, Each week would look like this.

Monday Run 1
    Tuesday Rest
    Wednesday Run 2
    Thursday Rest
    Friday Run 3
    Saturday Rest
    Sunday Rest,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works and say I think it's fine to just leave one rest day between each run if you feel up to it and you're not suffering from any niggles or anything. It's what I did when I started out and it never caused me a problem, but obviously each person is different and I had been doing a bit of cycling and stuff beforehand so was not completely going from zero activity.

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works and say I think it's fine to just leave one rest day between each run if you feel up to it and you're not suffering from any niggles or anything. It's what I did when I started out and it never caused me a problem, but obviously each person is different and I had been doing a bit of cycling and stuff beforehand so was not completely going from zero activity.

I think that's a very important distinction max , I firmly believe if you are going to run to plan you should stick by it. The couch to 5 k plan has turned millions of couch potatoes into runners , its a proven plan.

I wouldn't see any benefit in deviating from it, you would finish the plan a little earlier which IMO is not worth the increased risk of getting injured.

As you say the runners base fitness level on day 1 is a factor but anyone literally going from a low level of physical activity to running ie couch 2 5k would be best advised to stick to the plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Cookie_fan

Managed to get w2d3 down today, didn't think I was going to make it out, have a baby teething keeping us up at night but herself kept me honest so was thrilled that i went, ran the last 2 minute walk after the 1.5 minute run, was out of breath after it but was happy to do it. Covered 4 km in the time, happy enough with that, means for me I am running at the right pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I didn't actually know you were supposed to leave 2 days between runs on c25k! I think if you are unfit, overweight or have very little physical activity done in the last while then you should take it very easy with C25k.

When I did C25k I went out Tues, thurs and Sat. But I wasn't overweight and played a bit of badminton at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I didn't actually know you were supposed to leave 2 days between runs on c25k! I think if you are unfit, overweight or have very little physical activity done in the last while then you should take it very easy with C25k.

When I did C25k I went out Tues, thurs and Sat. But I wasn't overweight and played a bit of badminton at the time.

It's not that you need to leave two days between runs, it's that you need to leave two days between weeks.

In this context I explained I finished my week on the Thursday and was going to start my next week on the Saturday, was advised to wait the minimum of 2 days to start the next week in C25K.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Definitely good days and bad days! I said out loud "oh F off!" when Laura announced there was 5 minutes left! Luckily there was no small people around!! Jogged it all (25 minutes) at my normal slow pace but did pick it up for the last 60 seconds as she suggested.

One jog left in week 7 and then onto week 8.

Definitely good days and bad days! I said out loud "oh F off!" when Laura announced there was 5 minutes left! Luckily there was no small people around!! Jogged it all (25 minutes) at my normal slow pace but did pick it up for the last 60 seconds as she suggested.

What's this about a person named Laura giving advice, is this a particular app you guys are using?

I use the android app 'C25K' and while there is a girls voice, it's not advice like that, just let's me know when to run and how long is left.

• Advertisement

sumsar wrote: »
    What's this about a person named Laura giving advice, is this a particular app you guys are using?

I use the android app 'C25K' and while there is a girls voice, it's not advice like that, just let's me know when to run and how long is left.

It's the NHS choices C25K podcast. Laura tells you when to run and when to stop! There is some good advice - like in the last five minutes of today's jog she advised to take deeper breaths, and then to speed up for the last minute.

I mostly like her despite swearing at her earlier!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 66,904 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I miss Laura. I thought we had something. :(

I miss Laura. I thought we had something. :(

You too huh , let me guess 9 weeks and she drops you like a hot potate, she has a history of doing that .

Here's something some of you who have graduated from c25k may be interested in. It does eat into time you could be running but for anyone considering running longer distances its an area you should really pay attention to now.

I'm giving it another go myself as its an area I know i need to improve.

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Thanks Muppet,

I clicked the link and followed the instructions to get the free 30 day exercises. The website looks like a lot of scam websites that are out there but its legit.

pcuser wrote: »
    Thanks Muppet,

I clicked the link and followed the instructions to get the free 30 day exercises. The website, looks like a lot of scam websites that are out there but its legit.

Oh yeah its definitely legit , I started it again myself , I got 2 weeks in previously and gave up because I didn't really realise the importance of strength and conditioning. It takes about 20 minutes a day so it does take time I hope to finish it this time. The best of luck with it.

BTW the author James Dunne has lots of videos on utube relating to running, certainly worth a look.

Week 7 completed! :D Got on fine with today's jog, no swearing today :P just concentrated on breathing!

The finish line is almost in sight!

Well done Messy, You are so close to the finish line now :)

Well done Messy, only another 4 weeks till I'm up there with you! Haha.

Just wanted to say lads and lassies rhanks for the advice on the nhs podcasts with Laura, just used it there for the first time and it's miles better than just beeps to go and beeps to stop!

The basic tips that I wouldn't be aware of but should have been aware of are worth it.

half way through W3, was tough today given the weather found it hard in the driving rain and the 3 degree temperatures, bracing myself for W4 and W5 where the duration increases quickly, hopefully i dont have bad runs and get disheartened!!!

• Advertisement

Cookie_fan wrote: »
    half way through W3, was tough today given the weather found it hard in the driving rain and the 3 degree temperatures, bracing myself for W4 and W5 where the duration increases quickly, hopefully i dont have bad runs and get disheartened!!!

Just take each run as it comes Cookie. If you were to start Week 1 Day 1 and look at week 3 run 3 you would think it was extremely difficult. But you are all ready halfway through W3.

Just remember that it is not a race. Take a nice slow pace and breath in through the mouth and out through the mouth. WHen I started the C25K there were a few runs that my pace was too fast. It really felt like a chore to run. As soon as I slowed my pace down it became much more enjoyable.

I just finished the 10K app recently and I am starting training for the half-marathon in April at the end of this week. If I had not slowed mt pace down at the start I would not have finished the C25K app never mind a Half-Marathon.

You got this Cookie!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Keep it going - the programme is designed to gradually help you along till you get to 30 minutes running (not 5K). You'll have good runs and bad runs but it's amazing how you can keep going if you're determined enough.

Week 7 completed! :D Got on fine with today's jog, no swearing today :P just concentrated on breathing!

The finish line is almost in sight!

Great stuff - you will do the rest no problem! Three 28 minute runs and three 30 minute runs will be grand!

pcuser wrote: »
    Just take each run as it comes Cookie. If you were to start Week 1 Day 1 and look at week 3 run 3 you would think it was extremely difficult. But you are all ready halfway through W3.

Just remember that it is not a race. Take a nice slow pace and breath in through the mouth and out through the mouth. WHen I started the C25K there were a few runs that my pace was too fast. It really felt like a chore to run. As soon as I slowed my pace down it became much more enjoyable.

I just finished the 10K app recently and I am starting training for the half-marathon in April at the end of this week. If I had not slowed mt pace down at the start I would not have finished the C25K app never mind a Half-Marathon.

Thanks, I just can't help myself scrolling forward, honestly I am so glad I found this thread and taking comfort in knowing there are people going through the same, thanks for the support!!!

Thanks, I just can't help myself scrolling forward, honestly I am so glad I found this thread and taking comfort in knowing there are people going through the same, thanks for the support!!!

I was like that I used to scroll forward to look at the runs ahead, I remember seeing run 3 week 5 and thinking well that's not going to happen but it did.
    There is great spirit in this thread fair play to you all for helping and encouraging each other.

I was the exact same - I remember thinking there's no way I can run 20 minutes at the end of week 5 but I did and you will too!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I was the opposite. I thought I'd jinx myself too much if I looked too far forward. Did WK 5 Day 1, and had assumed that all days of the week would be the same as that's how it had been for the previous four weeks. Was a huge shock when Max told me I'd a 20 minute run ahead of me :D But I still got through it - the power of the program.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I was the exact same - I remember thinking there's no way I can run 20 minutes at the end of week 5 but I did and you will too!

You will all be running half and full marathons in the next couple of years!

• Advertisement

Casey78 wrote: »
    You will all be running half and full marathons in the next couple of years!

:eek::eek:

I'd be delighted with 5k and over the moon with 10k!

Advertisement