Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

:eek::eek:

I'd be delighted with 5k and over the moon with 10k!

I said the same thing 4 years ago..it's amazing what you start thinking you can(and will) do when you get over the 5k and 10k barriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Ah Yeah, you say that now but.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Casey78 wrote: »
    You will all be running half and full marathons in the next couple of years!

As soon as you hit 10k you'll look to the next target

Finished my first timed 10K just before Christmas (started C25K a year before) and now I've just started training for the half marathon this year

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

As soon as you hit 10k you'll look to the next target

Finished my first timed 10K just before Christmas (started C25K a year before) and now I've just started training for the half marathon this year

Me too. This running lark becomes addictive

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Week 3 done and dusted.

I know its early days but this seems like it's flying in, happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Well done Sumsar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

I was thinking of doing this but I in my 50's and have never done running before. Mad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I was thinking of doing this but I in my 50's and have never done running before. Mad?

Course it's not mad. Plenty of people on this site are in their 50's. It's never too late to start unless you have some kind of medical condition that might make it unadvisable without a doctor's go-ahead, but that has nothing to do with age really. Just follow the plan and be as conservative as you need to be in your approach (less is always better than more), and I'm sure it'll work out. Go for it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Not at all, I hadn't really run since I was in school, did the program last summer, aged 51. I'm running 5 miles easily now and training for a half marathon, the great thing about it is that it eases you into running, you start off running and walking. Give it a go :)

Ososlo wrote: »
    Course it's not mad. Plenty of people on this site are in their 50's. It's never too late to start unless you have some kind of medical condition that might make it unadvisable without a doctor's go-ahead, but that has nothing to do with age really. Just follow the plan and be as conservative as you need to be in your approach (less is always better than more), and I'm sure it'll work out. Go for it!!!

Mentioned it to family and they were on about injuries and joints. They told me stories of people they knew who wrecked knees/ankles etc.

• Advertisement

Mentioned it to family and they were on about injuries and joints. They told me stories of people they knew who wrecked knees/ankles etc.

haha, I think every single person on this forum has had the same said to them and we're not all walking around with gammy legs:D Stay sensible in your approach, and listen to the advice you hear on this forum and listen closely to your body and you should be fine. I ran over 3,000 miles last year and my knees and ankles never complained once. I have a sister who doesn't run and her joints are bothering her all the time... I'm sure you'll be just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

But then you can read stories on here of people that have gone on to achieve amazing things, and are fitter and healthier because of doing the C25K.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

C25K is brilliant as you start off gradually... it is a very effective way to get fit. I tore my acl a year and a half ago (playing tag rugby) and this was the first bit of exercise I had really done since then. I was very cautious starting off in case I did any damage to my knee (as well as being massively unfit) but I have had no worries with it. I think it's a really terrific programme and definitely would recommend it!

I'd say go for it!

App downloaded!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 66,905 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

C25K is brilliant as you start off gradually... it is a very effective way to get fit. I tore my acl a year and a half ago (playing tag rugby) and this was the first bit of exercise I had really done since then. I was very cautious starting off in case I did any damage to my knee (as well as being massively unfit) but I have had no worries with it. I think it's a really terrific programme and definitely would recommend it!

I'd say go for it!

Agree, I tried this my own way several times and picked up a injury.
    A lot to be said for listening to your body, when you get twinges. Take your time, no worries about not bursting through the goals.

App downloaded!!!:D

great stuff! It's a really good idea to post your runs here so you can get some feedback if you have any issues that others can help with. This thread seems very active right now which is brilliant, so a great time to be starting out and getting good advice from people who are just a bit ahead of you and people who have just graduated or graduated a while back.
    Also, make sure you have a good pair of comfortable running shoes. If finances allow, I think it's a great idea to go to a running store and get your gait analyzed so that you have shoes which are suitable for your feet. The analysis is free, but the shoes might cost you around 100 euro, but worth every penny as, you're less likely to get injured if you have proper shoes. If you give us an idea of your location, someone can suggest a store nearby.

I live close to Wexford town

Agree, I tried this my own way several times and picked up a injury.

Exactly! I said I'd get fit playing tag but going from doing almost nothing straight into playing it was so stupid.

You learn I guess!

Best of luck with it Claire, and definitely post on here how you are getting on!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Welcome to the Club :cool:

I see you have downloaded the app, another option is the nhs choices podcasts which are free and available here http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx.

I only mention that because i used it myself a few years ago and though it was brilliant and I see some of the more recent posters herer still using it an enjoying it too.

The best of luck with the running and make sure you keep us informed here and as ososlo says this thread is very active with peopel who are currently on the plan or who have finsihed it and are still running, you will get lots of advice and encouragement here.

I live close to Wexford town

Lifestyle Sports offer free GAIT analysis. If memory serves me right there is one in Wexford.

• Advertisement

pcuser wrote: »
    Lifestyle Sports offer free GAIT analysis. If memory serves me right there is one in Wexford.

There is, thanks a lot. Will head in and ask.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cookie_fan

sumsar wrote: »
    Week 3 done and dusted.

I know its early days but this seems like it's flying in, happy days.

Well done!! Completed it myself today, struggled for the first three minute run seemed like it was all up hill, managed to get through it, ran the last 2 minute walk easily enough so think it's a case of getting my second wind, happy with week 3 down, looking forward to week 4 now

Cookie_fan wrote: »
    it's a case of getting my second wind,

Its the same for me, first third of the run seems to be the hardest.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gremlin2011

Life has been getting in the way of C25K on me. I completed W5D2 on Thursday but felt I struggled a bit. Would it be a good idea to repeat it and have it nailed properly before w5d3 or just give w5d3 a go? I got a stitch about half way into the second run interval (drank water too soon before going out)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Life has been getting in the way of C25K on me. I completed W5D2 on Thursday but felt I struggled a bit. Would it be a good idea to repeat it and have it nailed properly before w5d3 or just give w5d3 a go? I got a stitch about half way into the second run interval (drank water too soon before going out)

Give it a go - you might surprise yourself! I thought the 20 minute run was too much of a step up but got there.

I wouldn't worry about the gap since your last run either - sometimes a little extra rest helps the body recover and makes the next run more doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Week 4 run 1 done tonight.

I enjoyed it and was tempted at times to speed up, but I convinced myself not to get too cocky and risk messing things upz instead keep at my usual pace.

I've found myself becoming addicted to checking this thread checking for other people's progress, looking forward to hearing others report in :-)

I got shoes today. Starting tomorrow. Wish me luck. !

The very very best of luck! Take it as easy as possible and try to relax! Looking forward to hearing all about it!!!

Ooh best of luck! Go slow and steady and you'll do great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Good luck - take it nice and slow to begin with and it will all fall into place.

Advertisement