Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubfitting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

sweetswing wrote: »
    I got my fitting in July and loved every minute of it, I can honestly say at the end of it I was hitting the irons sweeter than I ever hit a ball.
    I couldn't wait to get my hands on my new clubs ( it took 3 weeks) the minute they arrived I put them in the car and drove up to the range, this is where it all goes pear shaped " when I say I couldn't hit them out of my way I'm not joking"
    I have to date played about 25 games with them and never once played to my handicap, the frustration was to much, so out of my bag they came.
    Luckly I held on to my old clubs, first day back playing with them and I was playing to my handicap without much trouble.
    I have been playing really well of late so I put my fore golf clubs back in my bag for today's round, just to see , and to my utter disgust back to hacking.
    These clubs feel alien ,all wrong for me, all I can think of is they made a mistake with my clubs with the specs when building them up.
    I will be getting in contact with Fore Golf to see what they think, I'll post back and let ye all know what they have to say to this very very very disappointed customer.:mad:

Same thing happened to me sweetswing. My problem was a driver fit, new shaft. My irons were previously fitted and all feel great. I however like you felt that it had to be me that was the problem and not my club. I tried and tried but I couldn't hit this driver any more than 200yards. I could comfortably clear 250 - 255 with my old stock shafted driver. I sent Derek at Foregolf an e-mail and he basically said whenever I could get to him book in for a re-fit. To cut the story short I did my re-fit at no extra cost, Derek fitted a new shaft and new grip foc and really went the extra mileage to make sure I was completely satisfied and insisted that I let him know of my progress with my new fit. I never at any time felt uncomfortable or uneasy during the re-fit, the exact opposite actually with lots of swinging, talking and plenty of choices. I honestly believe Derek will go above and beyond to make sure you are satisfied and happy with your fitting and keen to make any changes you need. I'm much happier with my new fitting, its night and day compared to my first fitting, and I believe you will be too when you revisit.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

This news lifts my heart,thanks man , I just sent him an email, I hope he gets back to me soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

they said same to me that if i had ay problem dont hesitate to come back and they'll sort it out. Everyone has different opinions etc but they have worked with some of the best players on tour and have been noted for it so cant be bad at al!!. Anyhow cant wait to get out this weekend and let the guns loose:D

My E-mail was answered with in 30 mins, I was asked to come back down to sort the problem:D
    I hope this works.

My E-mail was answered with in 30 mins, I was asked to come back down to sort the problem:D
    I hope this works.

Great stuff, let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭G1032

Halfprice wrote: »
    they said same to me that if i had ay problem dont hesitate to come back and they'll sort it out. Everyone has different opinions etc but they have worked with some of the best players on tour and have been noted for it so cant be bad at al!!. Anyhow cant wait to get out this weekend and let the guns loose:D

This is the key for me and why I think fitting is a bit of a cod for most of us. No doubt that Fore golf know their stuff. But it is really hit and miss whether a fitting for an average amateur will be any benefit. It depends what swing the player brings to the fitting session. If he is not swinging well on that day then the stats for him on that day will essentially be false and the wrong clubs will be recommended for him.
    A pro on the other hand will swing the same all the time and his swing speed and set up etc will have very little deviation. So if someone from Fore Golf recommeds a setting to a pro he can take it that it will improve his game. For the majority of us here it's just hit and miss. If you swing well at the fitting then brilliant, it will have been a benefit, if you don't then it's a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

G1032 wrote: »
    This is the key for me and why I think fitting is a bit of a cod for most of us. No doubt that Fore golf know their stuff. But it is really hit and miss whether a fitting for an average amateur will be any benefit. It depends what swing the player brings to the fitting session. If he is not swinging well on that day then the stats for him on that day will essentially be false and the wrong clubs will be recommended for him.
    A pro on the other hand will swing the same all the time and his swing speed and set up etc will have very little deviation. So if someone from Fore Golf recommeds a setting to a pro he can take it that it will improve his game. For the majority of us here it's just hit and miss. If you swing well at the fitting then brilliant, it will have been a benefit, if you don't then it's a waste of money.

I tend to agree to some extent. I'd say getting fitted when your playing well is the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

I got my fitting in July and loved every minute of it, I can honestly say at the end of it I was hitting the irons sweeter than I ever hit a ball.
    I couldn't wait to get my hands on my new clubs ( it took 3 weeks) the minute they arrived I put them in the car and drove up to the range, this is where it all goes pear shaped " when I say I couldn't hit them out of my way I'm not joking"
    I have to date played about 25 games with them and never once played to my handicap, the frustration was to much, so out of my bag they came.
    Luckly I held on to my old clubs, first day back playing with them and I was playing to my handicap without much trouble.
    I have been playing really well of late so I put my fore golf clubs back in my bag for today's round, just to see , and to my utter disgust back to hacking.
    These clubs feel alien ,all wrong for me, all I can think of is they made a mistake with my clubs with the specs when building them up.
    I will be getting in contact with Fore Golf to see what they think, I'll post back and let ye all know what they have to say to this very very very disappointed customer.:mad:

I can't belive you went a session on the range, and I'm disgusted you went 25 games without contacting them! I'd have been onto them the next day if it was Monday after the range! And I can guarantee it wouldn't have been an email!

Anyway hope it gets sorted 2nd time round! I just came on because I came across my reciept and wanted to update what I said earlier! It wasn't 795... It was 745 for the burners. 3 to pw. Heavily custom fitted!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭G1032

NoelAPM wrote: »

Anyway hope it gets sorted 2nd time round! I just came on because I came across my reciept and wanted to update what I said earlier! It wasn't 795... It was 745 for the burners. 3 to pw. Heavily custom fitted!

Do the guys at Fore Golf do the club alterations for new clubs themselves or do they just send the specs to the manufacturer?
    If they are getting them from the manufacturer then the cost should be the same as a set straight off the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Small question somebody might know answer to, when buying a set do they allow you to chose what grips you get on the clubs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Been meaning to post this for a while... Folllowing allot of mostly positive reviews on here, I got fitted at Foregolf last March and was delighted with the results...

As most people have already said the fitting itself is excellent, very professional and plenty of interaction between fitter and player...
    My bad shot was a high slinging hook on all my irons, particularly 4-7 iron. I was playing wth an off the shelf set of Cobra S9's reg. flex, which I had had for around 4 years.

I started out in the fitting truck hitting balls with my own 6 iron and it wasnt long before my old friend "the dirty hook" showed up!! He put impact tape on the face and sole of the club, measured my swing speed etc, etc...
    He then gave me a few different setups to try. He felt the clubs were very light & not stiff enough & also wanted me to try an extra 1/4" of length.
    After hitting about 5 or six different setups, the shaft that was working best for me was the KBS Tour Stiff (1/4" long).
    Having setteled on this shaft he paired with a number of different clubheads to get the most suitable match. The ones that worked best for me were the Taylormade Burners.

I hit a few drives with my Taylormade R7 CGB Max (Stiff flex) and he left it alone as I hit it fairly well...

He also put a Aldila NV 85 Hybrid Stiff Flex shaft in my Taylormade Burner rescue which gave me a lower, more consistent ballflight....

All in all I was very pleased with the whole experience. My handicap has gone from 17.7 to 15.2 since the fitting and I know there is more in me.. Fitting is by no means a magic pill, there is still no substitute for practise. It does however, give me confidence to know that the clubs I'm using are suited to my swing...

G1032 wrote: »
    Do the guys at Fore Golf do the club alterations for new clubs themselves or do they just send the specs to the manufacturer?

Foregolf build the clubs themselves to match your spec. They are not sent back to any manufacture to be altered, its all in house.
    aster99 wrote: »
    Small question somebody might know answer to, when buying a set do they allow you to chose what grips you get on the clubs?

When you say they I presume you mean Foregolf? If so then yes you can choose your desired grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mac Man

I have been a Fore Golf customer for the last few years after being introduced by a friend. I was a bit apprehensive at first as i play with kack handed grip. Made to feel totally at ease by Derek, as he said himself he would not fit a customer just to sell a set of clubs.A happy customer will tell his buddys about his experience. It worked for me in that with in 4 weeks of playing with new fitted clubs i went from 18 to 16. Eventually getting down to 11. The various club settings he made changed me from fading the ball to drawing the ball, giving me more distance. I am currently on my second fitted driver and have managed to gain a few more yards more on drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Mac Man wrote: »
    I have been a Fore Golf customer for the last few years after being introduced by a friend. I was a bit apprehensive at first as i play with kack handed grip. Made to feel totally at ease by Derek, as he said himself he would not fit a customer just to sell a set of clubs.A happy customer will tell his buddys about his experience. It worked for me in that with in 4 weeks of playing with new fitted clubs i went from 18 to 16. Eventually getting down to 11. The various club settings he made changed me from fading the ball to drawing the ball, giving me more distance. I am currently on my second fitted driver and have managed to gain a few more yards more on drives.

Is it physically possible for that to happen? Can someone who hits across the line with an open club face, cutting the ball from left to right, make the same move with a different club and produce a draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Is it physically possible for that to happen? Can someone who hits across the line with an open club face, cutting the ball from left to right, make the same move with a different club and produce a draw?

Sheet, there's more than one way to slice the ball - trust me I know, I've hit enough of them in my time.:)
    When I slice it's because I leave the clubface open, but my swing isn't out to in.
    I expect the stiffness and more importantly the torque of the shaft have a direct influence on the twisting of the clubhead.
    So finding the correct shaft could help to fix an open clubface.

As D_Red_Army said, i also started with the taped 6 iron. Ball was going left to right. As each change was made, ie, longer shaft, different flex, thicker grip, loft etc my ball flight changed totally. In my case, i was playing with a standard of the shelf shaft that was almost 2 inchs to short,( i am 6ft 1in) and a thin grip.The short shaft was causing me to lean over the ball more at impact therefore causing a cut at impact. The thiner grip was making me grip the club harder. in mass produced clubs the shafts are all the same lenght, so going into your local golf shop the customer that is 5ft 7in and the customer that is 6ft are most likely buying the same lenght shaft, despite there being 5 + inches between them.
    It has definitely worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

Mac Man wrote: »
    As D_Red_Army said, i also started with the taped 6 iron. Ball was going left to right. As each change was made, ie, longer shaft, different flex, thicker grip, loft etc my ball flight changed totally. In my case, i was playing with a standard of the shelf shaft that was almost 2 inchs to short,( i am 6ft 1in) and a thin grip.The short shaft was causing me to lean over the ball more at impact therefore causing a cut at impact. The thiner grip was making me grip the club harder. in mass produced clubs the shafts are all the same lenght, so going into your local golf shop the customer that is 5ft 7in and the customer that is 6ft are most likely buying the same lenght shaft, despite there being 5 + inches between them.
    It has definitely worked for me

2 inches sounds alot to me. I'm also 6'1" and have custom fitted clubs which are only 1/2 inch longer than standard :confused:

Hi AldilaMan, I could not believe the difference myself in the lenght of the shat.But there again if has shown be the difference in custom fitting and buying direct from the local golf shop...first question in golf shop used to be what handicap do play off..one or two more questions and away you go with your new clubs.... Custom fit .. No mention of handicap, watch the ball flight, spin speed, launch, loft, lie etc. See what is happening to ball and then recommend what they feel you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Brian87

I have only got a new set of clubs recently. Can foregolf fit these clubs to suit me as I don't want to be getting another new set!

ya they can adjust clubs, dunno what the costs would be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

Just ordered new irons and woods. Feel like a kid waiting for Christmas now!!:p

Which woods and irons you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

MP 53, MP 630 fast track, MP 3 wood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Garda S Horgan

Can't think of the make of shaft off the top of my head.. But I got titlest 909f3 fairway woods for 245 each and burner irons with a alot of adjustments for 795 I think.. Haven't got the irons yet tho! They also gave me a cheaper option on the fairway woods.. 180 for cleaveland branded fairway woods I think.

Also was given the option of adjusting my current irons, x-22's for 50 or 55 a club. That was for longer shaft, De lofting, lie adjustments ect. And then was also given the option of lengthening my current shafts by regriping them for 20 euro each! Which he did not recomend because it weakens the shaft!
    245 for a 909F3 ?? Crazy price.
    Yours in spotting a rip off,
    GSH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

245 for a 909F3 ?? Crazy price.
    Yours in spotting a rip off,
    GSH.

Depends greatly on the shaft, you could easily pay that for the shaft alone if you wanted. Sample custom build in sterling, excluding fitting price:

Titleist 909F3 Fairway Wood

Loft Options: 15 Degree
    Hand Options: Right Hand
    Flex Options: Stiff Flex (STD)
    Shaft Options: Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 63 (R,S,X) (C)
    Shaft Length: Standard Length (STD)
    Grip Options: Decade Multi Compound - White/Black (C)
    Grip Thickness: +1 Layer Tape
    £249.55 Inc VAT

f22 wrote: »
    Depends greatly on the shaft, you could easily pay that for the shaft alone if you wanted. Sample custom build in sterling, excluding fitting price:

Titleist 909F3 Fairway Wood

Loft Options: 15 Degree
    Hand Options: Right Hand
    Flex Options: Stiff Flex (STD)
    Shaft Options: Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 63 (R,S,X) (C)
    Shaft Length: Standard Length (STD)
    Grip Options: Decade Multi Compound - White/Black (C)
    Grip Thickness: +1 Layer Tape
    £249.55 Inc VAT
    Fair enough if they are going to give a "real" Diamana, it's a different price range for sure.
    However, in that case 245 euro for a 909D3 new is too cheap.

I would say it was a standard 909F3 and tweaked, whether it's the grip options etc or something else.
    Putting on a new grip and tape etc is standard when I buy any new club and it's never charged. It's a tenner or so for those new grips.

If there was a 'made for' shaft on that club then 245 is far too much. It's a hundred over listed price.

Yours etc,
    GSH.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

How to justify price? I payd 245 and if you seen me hitting it you'd say bargain. when I was out There getting fitted I remember Derek gave me a driver to try, it was worth 700 euro! The shaft alone was worth 400! And yet the best I got was 4 meters further than my standard TM burner!

How to justify price? I payd 245 and if you seen me hitting it you'd say bargain. when I was out There getting fitted I remember Derek gave me a driver to try, it was worth 700 euro! The shaft alone was worth 400! And yet the best I got was 4 meters further than my standard TM burner!
    Fair point. Cost V's Value.

Yours etc,
    GSH.

700 euro for 4 meters sounds like a bargain:D, if you convert that to yards it's a real bargain:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Not convinced about this fitting for the ordinary handicap golfer.Surely a proper grip,stance etc is more important.Its okay maybe for the low handicapper or pro who can repeat their swing on a regular basis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement