Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubfitting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Jasonw wrote: »
    I asked Derek for the specs of my woods so that I could try them out on the golf course as my friend had the same driver. It's worth noting that I had already purchased a set of Irons from them. After a long drawn out process he eventually gave them to me, afterwards accusing me of lying about my reasons for asking.

As he said himself in the same conversation, "if you're not buying clubs from us, I'm losing money on the fitting and I don't want your business" - That's a direct quote by the way. I did point out that I had just paid him 850 euros - I bought the woods from Carton House in the end after also going for a fitting there.

Wow ! I won't be heading there in a hurry.

Chances are for me, you might buy there in the end anyway, but it should be your own choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭sandyhills

I can only ad my own experience. I was fitted for irons and woods and got the full spec when I finished the fitting. Just bought the irons at the time. Went back again to get woods and was also given the spec before I left. There was never any pressure to buy as I said on both occassions that I would have to consider it and get back to them.
    Really enjoyed the experience as hit a huge number of clubs with different shafts to get the one most suitable to me. Hard to beat the range of equipment they carry would highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Jasonw wrote: »
    As he said himself in the same conversation, "if you're not buying clubs from us, I'm losing money on the fitting and I don't want your business" - That's a direct quote by the way.

Ok so a fitting is 100 euro for an hour, yet he is losing money by being paid 100 euro an hour? If he is really "losing money" while being paid 100 euro an hour then the building and markup of the clubs he sells you must be some ripoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

I got mine in August, found them very heavy at first but am getting use to them.
    Hitting the ball straighter and with more distance control. They do take a while to get use too.
    But when I don't get the club on plane its horrible.
    I think the weight helps stop the hands controlling the club.

Anyone else with any opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Got a driver fitting in a few weeks time. Can someone please tell me what the process is? Do i hit a few drives with my current driver and then they tell you to hit certain demo models that they think might suit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Got a driver fitting in a few weeks time. Can someone please tell me what the process is? Do i hit a few drives with my current driver and then they tell you to hit certain demo models that they think might suit?

Was in the new place in Killeen recently. Great set-up. In my mind, i was going to change my driver but we went through the bag first.

Hit a few warm up shots, then hit a couple of shots with my 6 iron. He then got me to hit a couple of different irons with different weight or shaft features based on shot shape and feedback. Compared visual results to launch monitor. Upshot was my irons are fine.

Switched to woods. Hit my 3 wood first and then he picked some different shafts which were stiffer than my own. Shots got more consistent with a lighter stiffer shaft.

Same sort of results with my driver. The lofts of both test clubs matched my own and when we experimented with different lofts, the results weren't as good.

They recommended I change my driver to an aldidia shaft and can't remember the name for the 3 wood shaft. Didn't try different clubheads cause my own were fine.

Waiting to get the new clubs now. Total cost will be €380 including fitting. Probably the same as cost of a fitted driver.

They have stats for my irons if I want to change in the future but I'll see how the others go first.

I'd recommend going through your whole bag when you are there not just the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Cheers searay, that's exactly the info I was after. I really don't know about the irons, I seem to be hitting my own very well.

I am hitting nearly every fairway with my driver but I'm just sending it way too high. My 3 wood goes the same distance. Hopefully they will set me up with a low kick, low spin driver.

Sounds like they have a good set up there though- looking forward to it. Will post results here in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

It's a tough call really as to how good the service is compared to other fitters(I wouldn't know as I've only been to Foregolf). I think anybody who has never experienced a fitting before will love the experience. You get a range of shafts and heads to test out that are second to none. The only way I can see that you wouldn't come away happy is if you have previous experience of fitting and had access to your recommended club specs on that occasion. For me living in Limerick there is nowhere local(within 30 minutes drive) who can offer the service they offer. I really enjoyed the hour and got an insight into how important fitting can be. I'm seeing the benefit in my game also which helps, the pricing isn't that much different than off the shelf stock clubs on the clubs I bought, maybe €30-€50 extra for the upgraded shaft. I'd recommend Foregolf to anybody who hadn't been fitted before.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭SEORG

Booked in for 9th of June, they are in Dromoland that day for anyone in the west. Think they have a few slots left in the afternoon.

Looking forward to it as I have never had a fitting before.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭THEFRIDGE

Ok so think I have to bite the bullet here. Driver costing me so many shots that I am getting frustrated coming off the course.

I am hoping to get away with €400 for driver. Am I being realistic ?

Anyone know the current waiting time ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Current wait time was about 1 month last time I rang. It'll be €100 for the fitting and that leaves you €300 to get a driver so you should be able to get one for that but be prepared to spend an extra €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

I know, everyones favorite thread...:o

Finally going to see these guys at the end of August for a full bag as sick of looking at new clubs and second guessing my decisions on whether to purchase or not.

Just cant wait to get it done now espically as the driver is killing me. Either smashing one down the fairway with a slight draw or snap hooking it 80 yards out of play.

High speed footage has the club head abt 10" past the shaft at impact so good justification for thinking its the shaft (I hope).

Anyway, has anyone being lately and whats the latest gear they have or are trying to promote.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

Hi All,

I am a new golfer looking to buy his first golf clubs. I am 6 foot seven so will to get extended shafts.

My question is - Is there value for me going to Foregolf to get advice on clubs if i am only a beginner with an evolving swing.

Any thoughts appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

sparrow3 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am a new golfer looking to buy his first golf clubs. I am 6 foot seven so will to get extended shafts.

My question is - Is there value for me going to Foregolf to get advice on clubs if i am only a beginner with an evolving swing.

Any thoughts appreciated

Foregolf would tell you there is cause there making money out of it. Logically however your swing is going to change alot, especially in the first year. If you get lessons it will definitely change. With confidence and style your swing speed will likely change also.

I think you'd be mad, I'm not saying don't get fitted tho. My advice would be go to a golf shop where they will fit you for nothing, or at the least take the price of fitting off the price of the clubs you buy. At least this way you should at least find a clubs you feel comfortable with, like the feel of and the weight. you'll be hitting off a mat into a net, but its better than just picking the shiniest clubs off the shelf, or 1s that got a good review.

Although its likely you will need longer clubs It wouldn't be a given. Its not directly related to your height. Its to do with your proportions etc. For example how far your hands are off the ground when standing straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

Many thanks NoelAPM , much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Was up there last week, very impressed. Full bag is a fortune so picking up the irons first. Getting the new Mizuno 825 pro's, lovely clubs.

6ft 1" but was fitted for shafts +1.5" longer, mid sized grips and True Temper DG SL X100 shafts. Specs I wouldn't have picked in a million years. Contact I was getting with that spec shaft was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Do you need to be a relatively low handicappers in order to benefit from custom fitting? I've been playing a few years, have invested in lessons and have a fairly consistent swing but I'm not playing consistently and my handicap has gone out to 22. I'm committed to improving my game and want to get to the low teens in terms of handicap. I play twice a week on average through ought the year.

My irons are 9 year old off the shelf Big Berthas but my driver and woods etc are less than 2 years old. Also, I'm bang on 6 feet tall so I'm guessing my shafts might be a tiny bit short of optimum but not much.

The big question I have is should I invest in custom fitted clubs now (probably new irons but re fit existing driver and woods) or should I wait until I get down to a lower handicap (16?) before doing so?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭big_drive

I think the custom fitting would benefit you no matter what your handicap is, the right clubs make the poor shots less damaging

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks Big Drive. I'd be looking at +/- €1,500 is I went with new irons and refitted my driver and woods so it's a serious enough investment.

Cheers,

Ben

Ya it's a big investment. But well worth it when you start playing better, a lot of enjoyment comes from playing well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Does anyone know if they use some type of launch monitor at the new facility in Kileen Castle? Such as Trackman, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

aster its a Flightscope X2 the last time I was there

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

I was up there yesterday. Was a great experience.
    Id recommend it to anyone who wants to improve.

I am very much still a beginner,Been playing for about 2 years or less.

Recommended a Nice set of Cobras S3.
    and a Ping k15 Driver.

Quite expensive for everythign so i might get irons first.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I was up there yesterday. Was a great experience.
    Id recommend it to anyone who wants to improve.

I am very much still a beginner,Been playing for about 2 years or less.

Recommended a Nice set of Cobras S3.
    and a Ping k15 Driver.

Quite expensive for everythign so i might get irons first.

Sean

Regarding the bold bit, why do you think its going to help you improve?
    I'd wait a couple of months and see if you notice something.
    I'd be pretty confident that as a beginner you are far cheaper ways to improve your scores.

The fitting will hugely benefit a beginner as it will make "bad" shots less punishing. What might have been something like a horrid slice previously will now be a minor slice thus keeping the ball in play and reducing potential for scratches, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

big_drive wrote: »
    The fitting will hugely benefit a beginner as it will make "bad" shots less punishing. What might have been something like a horrid slice previously will now be a minor slice thus keeping the ball in play and reducing potential for scratches, etc.
    On the other hand there's a lot of learning involved in trying to correct a slice and those lessons are very useful in being able to control the ball flight.

Engineering out a problem like that is a bit like traction control on a car; when you eventually do get a skid, there's nothing to fall back on. ;)

How? By offsetting the face 10* because the beginner has a swing fault that causes a slice?

Unless you are very tall or very short, off the shelf clubs are going to be more than adequate for a beginner who often hits 2 feet behind the ball anyway.

Seems equivalent to giving someone continuous blood transfusions rather than just treating the bleeding wound to me.

/edit
    How does the player go about getting a lesson in this scenario?
    "Hi, Im hitting everything with a big draw/hook lately"
    "Oh, thats because your swing is now perfect, you need another fitting, new clubs"

Well I can only go by my own experience. Almost immediately I dropped from 13 to 8 after the fitting. As I mentioned earlier due mainly to bad shots being less punishing. I had a poor slice which improved straight away with the new clubs.
    Since then I worked on the slice and now hit a draw. Handicap has dropped 8 to 5 this summer, using the same clubs

Well I can only go by my own experience. Almost immediately I dropped from 13 to 8 after the fitting. As I mentioned earlier due mainly to bad shots being less punishing. I had a poor slice which improved straight away with the new clubs.
    Since then I worked on the slice and now hit a draw. Handicap has dropped 8 to 5 this summer, using the same clubs

What way did they adjust your clubs?
    tbh I find it hard to accept that a club fitting alone has dropped you from a 13 to a 5 in two years unless your clubs were 3 inches too short for you or something to begin with.

/edit
    Actually you have already proved that it wasnt fitting alone as you now hit a draw. This clearly indicates swing changes. Id be interested to see how you would play now with off the shelf clubs.

• Advertisement

Not too sure how they adjusted things. Different shafts is all I know about. Couldn't tell you anything about length, loft lie etc.

The drop in handicap couldn't be down to clubs alone. I've practiced hard as well to get there but having the right clubs help to make the practice more beneficial.

Not sure what I'd be like with off the shelf clubs. I have Nippon shafts in my irons, don't see many clubs with those as standard so that could be a difference to begin with

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement