Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael's website hacked

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

What really annoys me is that such highly paid people can get away with saying things such as the site was “absolutely secure” (recently by a Fine Gael spokesman). There is no such thing as “absolutely secure”. “absolutely secure” is what marketing teams throw out there to meet the expectations of the naive, so they can convert more sales for security products/services.

I am a software developer, but have an academic research background in security (though it's been a few years). The reality is that efforts can be made to make systems "more secure", not "absolute secure" or even "secure" against an individual unknown. Security is a never ending process, not turn key solution. If someone wants to get something, and is determined they will eventually succeed. We don't throw infinite resources at the security process, so we don't get infinite security.

So my advice to political parties as they start to increase their use of technology in their campaigns is not to have spokespeople come out with stupid statements like “absolutely secure”, you'll only give those with malicious intent and determination an incentive to focus on you.

Ireland is also full of highly qualified technical professions who understand the platforms, services, technologies & in many regards the respective costs involved, so specifically in this regard don't have a spokesperson treat the nation like we haven't a clue about this stuff.

Just Be Honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

TheZohan wrote: »
    There is a major discrepancy here:

Hmm...who to believe...

4000 messages, later clarified to come from 2000 authors.

One of whom was named by the reporter as Paul Gogarty TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rosco p coltrane

Hi there,

Just for your information.

Fine Gael's domain name is now registered as finegael2011.com and for next year it's also registered, finegael2012.com, but after that they are available

finegael.jpg

Nice forward planning !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

screen shot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Eh, why would Anonymous waste time with the Fine Gael website?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,066 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

liah wrote: »
    Eh, why would Anonymous waste time with the Fine Gael website?

I reckon it's down to the changes made to the site recently and the privacy concerns which were raised a few days ago, which FG denied were an issue.
    However, the Fine Gael spokesman said that data on the site was “absolutely secure”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0108/1224287043463.html

I reckon it's down to the changes made to the site recently and the privacy concerns which were raised a few days ago, which FG denied were an issue.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0108/1224287043463.html

Still sounds very unlike Anonymous to be attacking an Irish political party that isn't even currently in office. The Anonymous I know tends to go for slightly bigger fish in an effort to make international media.

I don't mean to insult Ireland, but I can't see why the Fine Gael website would be that high on their list of priorities, even with the 'security concerns' detailed. None of it is particularly important to anything ongoing in the world of international politics. (Again, no offense meant, it's just that Anonymous tends to target the big players, and as lovely as Ireland is, it's not exactly a world power or any kind of threat).

There has to be more to it, either that or it's not the real Anonymous, or there's an Irish person who has a pet hate for Fine Gael in the upper ranks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Would people stop thinking of them as a organized group...At most it in several friends at most in diffrent "Cells".

The group doesn't exist truly,only doing things in its name does.Thats why its brilliant!

Two people took credit for it,so more than likely it just two Irish lads doing it in the name of them.

Ah right, didn't notice the signatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

From what it appears, the two hackers are gaming fans.
    If, from my searches, it's the same person, they have mentioned in an online forum some strong political beliefs, regarding taxation and the death penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I saw the same myself.Well if it is them then they are quite literally idiots.Not for the attack but for actually naming themselves if they are active on forums with those names.

If we found it by simple google search then I'm sure the Guards(And the FBI as RTE stated as well)) will have no problem :pac:.

I wonder if theres any chatter on 4chan about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Lukker- wrote: »
    http://finegael2011.com/

Fine Gael's website has been hacked by the infamous group of internet hacktivists Anonymous.

Fine Gael obviously broke Rule 1 and 2. If so the attack is perfectly justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

Seloth wrote: »
    I saw the same myself.Well if it is them then they are quite literally idiots.Not for the attack but for actually naming themselves if they are active on forums with those names.

If we found it by simple google search then I'm sure the Guards(And the FBI as RTE stated as well)) will have no problem :pac:.

Nope, was just looking and seems they have no idea what happened, like they're not even aware what happened.
    Say it was just two fellas who did it or something.

Seloth wrote: »

No talk on 4Chan, and the /b/tards are quite silent overall. I wouldn't be surprised if some Anons (Moot?) may state that it wasn't a campaign. Like, AnonOps make no target or statement, IRC is quiet on the topic and in general the issue is only really being chatted about in Ireland.

Perhaps Fine Gael will keep shouting the Anonymous card because they want things to look really big and strong, setting aside the fact that the site was, apparently, badly made.

I'll keep an eye on 4Chan and the other hangouts. But, even in IRC nothing is going on.
    However, be aware, the gear offered on the forum in question seems to be pretty strong for doing some work. With some of the software on the site (albeit, many "Youtube subscriber" bots), you could do some work.

One comment says to the potential hacker says that they are good as backtracing- an IP search. Linked, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

No talk on 4Chan, and the /b/tards are quite silent overall. I wouldn't be surprised if some Anons (Moot?) may state that it wasn't a campaign. Like, AnonOps make no target or statement, IRC is quiet on the topic and in general the issue is only really being chatted about in Ireland.

Perhaps Fine Gael will keep shouting the Anonymous card because they want things to look really big and strong, setting aside the fact that the site was, apparently, badly made.

I'll keep an eye on 4Chan and the other hangouts. But, even in IRC nothing is going on.
    However, be aware, the gear offered on the forum in question seems to be pretty strong for doing some work. With some of the software on the site (albeit, many "Youtube subscriber" bots), you could do some work.

One comment says to the potential hacker says that they are good as backtracing- an IP search. Linked, I wonder?

lol backtracing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Consequences will never be the same.

They dun goofed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Danbo! wrote: »
    Give it a sec... Ah, there it is, a tiny insignifigant piece of info. If you're going to go to all that trouble (maybe it was easy, but a gardai investigation will probably follow) add something better.

Why would the Gardai investigate some script-kiddie's defacement of a US website?

Is it possible that this was actually an attack by Fine Gael themselves to get more publicity and to play the victim card?

• Advertisement

Is it possible that this was actually an attack by Fine Gael themselves to get more publicity and to play the victim card?

not really, wouldnt help them, they wouldnt make themselves look weak on purpose

not really, wouldnt help them, they wouldnt make themselves look weak on purpose

It's just strange that, as StaticNoise has mentioned, there doesn't seem to be any chatter about it. Usually Anonymous would be upfront about their attacks, wouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,066 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's just strange that, as StaticNoise has mentioned, there doesn't seem to be any chatter about it. Usually Anonymous would be upfront about their attacks, wouldn't they?

Who is 'they'? It's not some hierarchal group of people who hold board meetings to decide on what actions to take. The "Anonymous" label is just something which people can attach to the reasoning behind carrying out illegal acts.. basically it's nothing more than a wide ranging-collection of people with some basic knowledge and who feel they have a moral fight on their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Two lads decide to do it, take the Anonymous name and shove that up on the redirect page to get them a bit more notice.

Why would Anonymous attack the Fine Gael website and then forward the personal details they got from it to The Evening Herald?

I reckon if everyone kept posting how it was just two little nobody script kiddies and how even an 8 year old with learning difficulties could have done what they did then they'll come out of the woodwork stamping their little feet and blowing raspberries at us:

"We iz hackers! We iz l33t hackors!!!!! We iz fightin' da man! We iz not ineffective losers!!!!!! Waaaaahahhhhh!"

Yeah, its not a group, but still the main, focused guys (and there are those who are HEAVILY involved) would post updates on their twitter, etc. There is an operations website, like for Operation Payback, etc.

Still nothing on Anons IRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Nothing on IRC, nothing on their twitter ( https://twitter.com/anonops ) nothing on their facebook ( http://www.facebook.com/anonops?v=wall ) and nothing on one of their blogsites ( http://anonops.blogspot.com/ )

Might just have been a flag of convenience by someone else to say it was Anonymous and mashed up that way on that page put up during the hack, or kids running a simple script across the hosting company taking advantage of unpatched services rather than just FG's site in particular.

Would've been better anyway if they hosted in Ireland, plenty of hosting companies here would've taken their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

It wouldn't be the first time that anonymous attacked an irish website http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056082026

Normally if it's a proper operation there's flyers made...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

cian1500ww wrote: »
    It wouldn't be the first time that anonymous attacked an irish website http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056082026

Normally if it's a proper operation there's flyers made...

Yeah but infact are anti-piracy which would go against the whole Anonymous vibe wouldn't it?

Fine Gael are hardly a likely target for anyone outside of Ireland, are they?

Who is 'they'? It's not some hierarchal group of people who hold board meetings to decide on what actions to take. The "Anonymous" label is just something which people can attach to the reasoning behind carrying out illegal acts.. basically it's nothing more than a wide ranging-collection of people with some basic knowledge and who feel they have a moral fight on their hands.

They are anon, usually when something like the happenes, the boards are full of threads about it, irc is chatting about it, but with this nothing, probably just two guys who did it just because they could.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Just Be Honest.

HELLLOOOO ???? They're POLITICIANS. It's genetically impossible for them.

Advertisement