Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael's website hacked

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

One assumes Fine Gael will inform the data protection commission first thing tomorrow morning, as did boards.ie very effectively a couple of months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Lukker- wrote: »
    http://finegael2011.com/

Fine Gael's website has been hacked by the infamous group of internet hacktivists Anonymous.

If Fine Gael can't even look after its tiny little website, how is it going to look after Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Dionysus wrote: »
    If Fine Gael can't even look after its tiny little website, how is it going to look after Ireland?

The country is beyone repair for quite some time after FF's folly.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Yes, Enda Kenny, Michael Noonan and James Reilly really need to brush up on their computer security skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

News just in:

Establishment shitting itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

They don't claim to be professional web developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

I know, but I would have expected something like this to happen to Fianna Fáil before FG, disregarding the weaknesses of the FG site.

Well if it was a javascript in a comment box vulnerability, it doesn't take a 'hacker' to do harm, just someone with basic skillz (often referred to as script kiddies). I'm sure if FFs site had such a weak flaw, it would have been taken down too. A crime of opportunity, rather than a statement*

*probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gustavine

"We apologise for the inconvenience"

Something Brian Cowen Should be saying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

it now says
    We apologise for the inconvenience. The site will be back up shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Inconvenience..lol

Enda Kenny is the inconvenience in FG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭policarp

Belfast wrote: »
    it now says
    We apologise for the inconvenience. The ****e will be back up shortly.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

kevin doyle herald was just on newstalk saying he received the database of all details entered by people through the site

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Hah, it seems my comments were premature - it appears that some data was compromised, official pwnage :D

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0110/finegael.html
    Fine Gael has confirmed that the contact details of just under 2,000 people were compromised in the attack on its website last night.

Data Protection Commissioner Billy Hawkes confirmed that the party contacted his office following the website attack.

In a statement Fine Gael said it had emailed all of those affected this morning to notify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Glad I left a fake email address when I left my comments on the site :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Some Fine Gael Senator on RTE there trying to link this to wikileaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Anonymous must be fans of Fianna Fáil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Lukker- wrote: »
    http://finegael2011.com/

Fine Gael's website has been hacked by the infamous group of internet hacktivists Anonymous.

I thought FF's web address was www.finegael.ie

Setting up another unrelated site as a clone and defacing / editing that doesn't fall under the term "hacking". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I thought FF's web address was www.finegael.ie

Setting up another unrelated site as a clone and defacing / editing that doesn't fall under the term "hacking". :rolleyes:

FG had the finegael2011 site developed as part of their new super duper web social networking new paradigm strategy.
    Well FG, I hope you're happy with your sh1tty new website.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 First Post

Hey guys, it was me. I am Anonymous, we have a clubhouse and a leader and everything.

****! When will people start to realize that "Anonymous" is not a group?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

in other news, google releases flux capacitor algorythm technology and reports that next September, Fine Gael will not have learned anything from their lesson! :P

http://i.imgur.com/B1Onq.jpg

• Advertisement

RonMexico wrote: »
    Some Fine Gael Senator on RTE there trying to link this to wikileaks.

'Anonymous' is the group that has targeted websites of organisations that have tried to stop wikileaks. For example: the American Government., Visa, Mastercard, Paypal, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

There is a major discrepancy here:
    Fine Gael has confirmed that the contact details of just under 2,000 people were compromised in the attack on its website last night.

An Evening Herald journalist has claimed on social networking website Twitter that he has been sent the details of 4,000 users of the Fine Gael website following the attack.

Hmm...who to believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Mark200 wrote: »
    'Anonymous' is the group that has targeted websites of organisations that have tried to stop wikileaks. For example: the American Government., Visa, Mastercard, Paypal, etc.

Group implys a leader or some form of hierarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 First Post

Mark200 wrote: »

"Anonymous" is not a group. It's a hacker sub-culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

TheZohan wrote: »

Hmm...who to believe...

The people trying to cover their asses Vs. The people trying to sell you a story.
    Genuinely a tough choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Hmm...who to believe...

It's a toughie. Believe the politician or the tabloid. :confused:

Group implys a leader or some form of hierarchy.

No it doesn't. You can have a group of friends without having a leader in it.

First Post wrote: »
    "Anonymous" is not a group. It's a hacker sub-culture.

Fair enough. My mistake!

Hmm...who to believe...

The discrepancy is down to people submitting more than one comment. I believe there were 4,000 different comments but only 2,000 individual users.

The journalist tweeted that Paul Gogarty's contact details are on there.... IE, he submitted at least one comment...

Can't tell if he was joking or not..

http://twitter.com/#!/KevDoyle_Herald/status/24453848152145920

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

site now says

The Fine Gael website was professionally hacked on the evening of January 9th by an entity calling themselves the Anonymous Group.

The Anonymous Group has been associated with the Wikileaks investigation and attacks on companies such as Visa, Mastercard, and Amazon.

The website will be offline while we follow-up with the appropriate authorities to resolve the matter.

We thank you for your continued support for Fine Gael. If you have any feedback please to send it to emma@finegael2011.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Any screen shots of it?

Advertisement