Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

infact.ie DDoS'd

Options
  • 06-11-2010 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭

Looks like the Anon's from op: Payback decided to have a go at DDoS'ing the Irish anti piracy guys at infact.ie. Site went down at 6.15pm GMT I am told, if not earlier.

I wonder where this is going to go next...

BTW sorry if it is off topic but I have a source who is in on the attack who tells me that it went under in ten seconds, with less than 100 participants. Something tells me they need a security upgrade, as I have been told that defacement/PWNage was considered a viable option if the DDoS failed!

And as an aside, how does one protect against DoS?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AnonTriv

Tell you the Truth I am happy to hear people outside the country have the same feelings about companies like infact.ie as I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Looks to be still down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AnonTriv

yes I believe Anonymous intends to keep it down through the night and and into Tomorrow maybe even till Monday if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Phractal wrote: »
    Looks like the Anon's from op: Payback decided to have a go at DDoS'ing the Irish anti piracy guys at infact.ie. Site went down at 6.15pm GMT I am told, if not earlier.

I wonder where this is going to go next...

BTW sorry if it is off topic but I have a source who is in on the attack who tells me that it went under in ten seconds, with less than 100 participants. Something tells me they need a security upgrade, as I have been told that defacement/PWNage was considered a viable option if the DDoS failed!

And as an aside, how does one protect against DoS?
    syn cookies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

Its back up again, they musta migrated targets again. Still fair play at getting it down.

I have confirmation it took 15-20 machines 'TCP flooding' to kick it offline within less than a minute. At least 15 of those machines are confirmed to be part of a bot-net.

I wonder who Anonymous is hitting now? I best go find out!

AnonTriv: The attack was scheduled for 15:00GMT today but was postponed until 18:15GMT because most people were too busy attacking Hadopi.fr
    It was at 18:15GMT that a few mwmbers actually got going on the new target, and it was meant to make the 9 o clock RTE news, with one or more members emailing about the attack to various news agencies.
    To the best of my knowledge, the LOIC hivemind is still set on Hadopi.fr and that attack has not stopped.

• Advertisement

Digme: if SYN cookies are in operation would the DDoS'er's not move to UDP flooding or HTTP flooding?
    There be many a way to take down a site...

Also, Infact is down again.

The flyers are out for this attack.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lhaymehr/OperationPayback#5536810012306877794

Looks like its official then, it is Anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

http://anonops.net/

I didn't realise this but they're actually using volunteers to ddos the websites. So if one were interested in ... helping the cause they could navigate to the website :p. Quote from loic (open source tool they're using for this).
    HIVE MIND mode will connect your client to an IRC server so it can be controlled
    remotely. Think of it like a voluntary botnet. They might even make your client
    do naughty things, so beware.

Note: It does NOT allow remote administration of your machine, or anything ****
    like that, it is literally just control of loic itself.

Yes, it is totally voluntary. Some members of Anonymous do use actual botnets, but I estimate 98% of the members just use LOIC on their own box.

LOIC can be ran through WINE also for Linux users, though I have heard of a linux version in existance. Most Linux users just use Hping3 with -p 80 and --flood though.

Some Anon's are using Slowloris and such as well, though the LOIC is the main tool.

Strangely enough, at the moment very few are on the hivemind server at the moment, and are manually attacking.

and infact is still down. I wonder will it make the news??

The anonops IRC is currently having errors thanks to a server move IIRC...

Advertisement