Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going without a bra.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭LilMsss

As some of the other posters have stated, once you get over a certain cup size, you don't really have the option of going without a bra. I've always been a minimum D cup if not bigger with weight fluctuations, so there was no way I could venture out without a bra!

I lost a lot of weight, and also volume in my breasts, so putting on a bra is the first thing I do when I get up (even when lounging in my PJs!), as having support is a really big thing for me.

I'm getting a breast uplift in the summer, so am looking forward to feeling comfortable walking around the house braless ... and perhaps even outside my front door - if I'm feeling brave! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

nesbitt wrote: »
    Always wear a bra out in public. I could go without weight wise because I'm only a 34C.

Only?! See for me a c cup is big :/

I guess it depends on the person really. For some dresses etc, yeah, a bra is a must. But with loose tops and hoodies (on me anyway) I really don't see much of a difference :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I remember once hanging around my house in a big baggy hoodie, looking fairly terrible, and then I wanted to walk to the shop thats right up the road. And I just had to put a bra on. Not sure if anyone would have known the difference, but I just didn't feel right leaving the house without one! Didn't make any other effort to make myself presentable to the world, but that was a must!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

34DD/32E here, couldn't go without one. A properly fitting bra makes a massive difference in terms of comfort for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I would love to bo able to not wear one, its fairly obviously when I dont though. I could get away with it when I was younger and they were smaller but im a 34c now so its not really an option, I never wear one around the house those

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

This thread has made me realise I need to go bra shopping, I'm still wearing a maternity bra and I haven't been pregnant in nearly a year :eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I'm a 34B/C (read: can never find a bra with the right cup size :rolleyes:), so I'm not exactly big boobed. However, like another poster mentioned, my boobs are too "pointy" not to wear a bra, even without nipples showing. It'd be waaaaaaaaay too obvious. Plus, I'd be far too self-conscious. I even wear one around the house all the time, but not too bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I would love to bo able to not wear one, its fairly obviously when I dont though. I could get away with it when I was younger and they were smaller but im a 34c now so its not really an option, I never wear one around the house those

I would love to be a 34C...****ing F cups, who ****ing came up with the idea that bigger was better??

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Sometimes I wish I had smaller boobs, it would just make life so much easier I mean I can't wear anything remotely low-cut because all you can see is CLEVAGE. I've been a D cup since I was sixteen so can't even imagine not wearing a bra.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭MsHolloway

I'm jealous of you!
    I would love not to have to wear a bra, I'm currently E/F cup size so it really isn't an option for me. They sag a bit more than they really should at my age too ( sorry if thats a bit tmi :) )
    I do love those pyjammies days where you don't need to go anymore and can just wear your jammies all day, theres no way I'd wear a bra with my jammies!
    Its just so comfortable not wearing one.
    I heard somewhere that its good to let yourself go braless at bedtime, some say you shouldn't even wear undies in bed!

At my size, a bra is a must and I have to admit my boobs look much better with a bra on. look better in clothes etc!

• Advertisement

MsHolloway wrote: »
    , some say you shouldn't even wear undies in bed!

I have never in my life worn underwear in bed :/

Am I weird?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Lia_lia wrote: »

Am I weird?!

I rarely wear underwear in bed!

Or sometimes I'll wear only underwear. Guess that is a bit weird :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Lia_lia wrote: »

Am I weird?!

I physically cannot wear underwear in bed, I feel so restricted, cannot do it.

I'm the total opposite, I can't sleep without knickers on! That's just the way I was brought up I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

amyputz wrote: »
    I'm the total opposite, I can't sleep without knickers on! That's just the way I was brought up I guess :)

I am the same way. I have tried sleeping naked or without undies and it gives me bad dreams every time. Either showing up to work naked or being assaulted. I guess I feel more secure with undies and some sort of top on??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    This thread has made me realise I need to go bra shopping, I'm still wearing a maternity bra and I haven't been pregnant in nearly a year :eek:

Go treat yourself while the sales are still on! Nothing like nice underwear to make you feel good :D

I usually wear a bra, 32D/DD so it's pretty necessary! But I would go bra-less in some low back or strapless dresses that I have, no bother, but only because they are quite fitted or tight, ie no chance of anything falling out or loss of shape. I would never go bra-less in say just a t-shirt because of shape and nipple showing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

My husband thinks I'm mad for wearing underwear in bed! No bra ever in bed, but underwear always :D
    Anyone who feels odd and exposed without a bra just walking around in their pjs (like myself), Bravissimo do support pj tops on their website, I have a few and they are very good. Good enough that I'd get up and have breakfast in one and not run to grab a bra straight away. They are pricey but very very comfy :) I'm a 32JJ so I need all the help I can get

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Definitely would not go anywhere without a bra on. It would be different if I was smaller I suppose. I'm 38DD so I even wear a sports bra in bed, I just don't feel right without it at all. I'd actually love not to be able to wear one but I just feel exposed if I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I'm glad a couple of others mentioned the pointyness of going braless! I'm 34B, so far from ginormous, but I just like the feeling of wearing a bra when compared to going braless. I've gone to the shops for milk or something like that with no bra, but with a thick hoody so no one could tell.

I have a couple of dresses which probably require no bra; I just haven't had the courage to wear them yet in case of slippage :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

amyputz wrote: »

i only wear knickers in bed if i've my period, otherwise i sleep naked

(unless i'm in someone's house)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Of course there's nothing wrong with not wearing a bra OP - if a gal has double Gs, she should be able to go bra-less if she wants to.

I'm a 30D - sounds large but because it's only 30, they still look small. Last few months I've had a pain in my ribcage that I've had x rays and ultrasounds done on (waiting on results) so I haven't been able to wear a bra at all. I have some vest tops with an extra layer inside that is elasticated just below the bust. I wear these all the time. I do still grab a hold of them if I want to run up the stairs though! But one day was meeting my best friend (who is also an ex) in town, I wore the vest top, it was so hot I had a hoodie on over but had it open, he took one look, and said (in the middle of Gamestop in Stephen's Green) "No bra this weather I see?" Could have clouted him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I'm a 32AA and rarely wear a bra. I find them really uncomfortable, and like you OP, even when I get one properly fitted it never really fits well. Don't need the support really. It doesn't make me self conscious I think my boobs look great without one, boyfriend agrees! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Just wondering why the nipples showing thing is a big issue for some and why that would be your only reason for going bra-less? It's not as if they are hidden by some bras anyway. Apart from the chafing issue of course...

I guess because people are paranoid about people staring at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I always wear one. I'd love to be able not to wear one!!!

If I'm at home and someone calls and I'm not wearing one I'd excuse myself and put one on!!!

I hate the feeling of not having one on!!!

I do still grab a hold of them if I want to run up the stairs though!

Phone always rings when I'm in bed, my bf always laughs at me when I grab them to run and get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I rarely wear underwear in bed!

Or sometimes I'll wear only underwear. Guess that is a bit weird :P

I'm the exact same. :)

32C and I like to wear a bra during the day or if I'm around anyone at all - Simple because I'd feel somewhat naked without it on.

However in the summer I wear a lot of support camis or string tops without a bra. I think I get away with it because mine are fairly perky imo so I don't really need the bra for the shape, i just feel better with one.

If you feel you don't like bra's why not just get the stickers? La Senza sell really cheap ones. You should go for it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I used to not wear a bra for a good few years, found them uncomfortable, and never really thought too much about it. But as time went on people made a lot of comments, about me being 'slutty' for not wearing a bra. I got embarrassed and started weraing a bra then, well I was only 19-20 so more prone to being bothered by what people thought!

Tbh, looking back, I'm a bit annoyed that I let people get to me about it, it's completely natural, why are we as society so uncomfortable with a womans nipples being noticeable through clothes.

Anyway, I've got used to wearing a bra now, and like the shape it gives me, but I woudln't wear one around the house, and it wouldn't bother me to go without the odd day, especially during the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don't understand many of the posts on this thread. The OP is barely an A-cup and wonders about the social acceptability of going braless ... and then we have page after page of very large-chested women chiming in about how they absolutely need to wear bras?! The A-cup woman is in a different situation wrt anatomy to the F-cup woman. They have completely different needs.

I think there's a growing attitude in society about bras. We dress toddler girls in bikini tops, which teaches them the female chest must be covered by at least two triangles of fabric long before actual breasts enter the equation. We encourage primary school girls to start wearing bras at the earliest sign of puberty, before they have anything to support. We market padded bras to small-chested women to give their bodies a more 'womanly' figure. We end up creating an atmosphere where the very word 'braless' has shades of 'half-naked', 'inappropriate', 'unprofessional', 'unfeminine' and even 'slutty'.

Much of this is driven not by necessity, comfort, or choice, but by marketers' desire to sell stuff. If clothing companies can convince people that we need to put bikini tops on toddlers, and bras on 9-year-olds, that's great for them because they're selling *something* rather than *nothing*.

Personally I think this pressure should be resisted. I am an AA cup and I wear bras only when needed. I wear them when my nipples will poke through thin fabric or when I don't want to risk getting caught in the rain in a white/yellow top with no bra. I'm aware that some tight black dresses can turn see-thru under a camera flash. And with some tops, you'll need a bra for coverage reasons - you don't want to bend over and let someone see all you've got. But most of the time you can get away without a bra, especially in the winter - most people are wearing layers anyway.

IMO the smaller chested woman should consider whether she really wants or needs to wear a bra all the time, and do what she is most comfortable with.

Advertisement