Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going without a bra.

Options
  • 09-01-2011 4:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭

I know there have been a few topics on this...but I can't search for them because "bra" is such a short word :/

Do you see it as acceptable to go out in public without wearing a bra?.. (with other clothes covering your chest, obviously!)

I have a small chest (barely an A most of the time :/ ) and often don't wear a bra. Sometimes people have commented on it like if I just have a t-shirt on because of the er...nipple thing. But whatever I hate bras. And they never fit properly. Never, ever wear one around the house. Some of my friends even wear them in bed! I find this bizarre.

Er..discuss!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I predict a complete lack of support for you

:rolleyes:

Actually,
    I predict a complete lack of support for you
    The-Rigger wrote: »
    I'm for it.
    patwicklow wrote: »
    i hate bra,s always so hard to find that clip thing at the back.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Do you not feel exposed though if you are out and about?

Whatever about around the house, but if you are walking down the street on a sunny day with only a t-shirt on, people are going to be looking.

And then what if it rains?

Think you should at least be wearing one outside, men, walk, traffic, oncoming.

Well you can barely notice I'm not wearing any to be honest. I know a few people that do this. Some people just don't need to wear bras I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Why the rolleyes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

spider guardian, The-Rigger and patwicklow have all been given warning infractions for their flagrant disregard of the Ladies' Lounge charter.

The-Rigger, in particular, you should know better and would do well to read the charter of a forum prior to posting in it.

No more ridiculous posts in this thread from anyone, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I think the nipples are what stop me more than anything else.

I guess if I were you I'd just get those stickers that you can put on them to keep them flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 1daydreamer

going braless is not an option for me, I have a small back but a large cup size and it makes me wince to even think of walking down the street em unsupported. Anything like exercise requires an industrial strength bra too. But it would be nice to have it be a choice like you are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I'm an A cup myself and I don't always wear a bra. If I'm wearing thin summer clothes and the like I will always put on a bra to help with the shape a bit, or if I'm gonna be running around and moving a lot, for comfort. Otherwise, it really depends on my mood, as I don't think it makes much of a difference sagging-wise (:p) when my breasts are so small anyway.

I sometimes sleep with a bra on, sometimes without. I find that if I move a lot in bed I'll get sore nipples :o

I hear you on them never fitting properly. And the smallest ones are generally padded, which can sometimes be annoying.

Honestly, you're not alone in hating bras. But they can be so pretty! Also, some clothes just don't look that good if you're going without a bra (at least not on me!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Don't you find people stare though? Or you feel like they're staring?! I forgot to put one on when getting changed to go to Tesco one evening...never again! Unless the top you're wearing has a specific chest part (like those gypsy style tops that flow out from under the bust) it's pretty obvious that you're not wearing a bra - whatever your chest size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

A friend of mine rarely wears one and if she hadn't told me i would never have known because of the clothes she wears its not obvious she doesn't wear white or tight things she lives in black and dark colours thicker fabrics.
    Personally I always wear one because i want to fight gravity as much as possible except for sleeping of course, it is a bit more comfortable not wearing one but would only do this at home or with certain dresses that are backless, those stick on bras are so uncomfortable and don't stay on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The bra has a function and was invented by a man, austensibily to make money.

Women in general wear bra's too much, young girls see it as a maturing badge and college & older women make themselves podgy by insisting on wearing an I'll-fitting bra's with unsuitable clothing.

Obviously you have to decide if you need the benefits of wearing a suitable bra brings, don't do it for society's sake.

I was attracted to my wife because she did not wear a bra constantly, and those she buys are fitter for her. I have become almost an extpert as she also hated buying them so I've gone along many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭kiwi123

I hate wearing a bra!
    I actually might ad taking my bra off at the end of a day to the simple pleasures thread :)

I have small boobs so technically I don't need to wear one. I think though that it all depends on what kinda of top you're wearing. Like I have no problem going without if I'm wearing a hoodie - If I'm wearing a shirt or something obvious to work, I will always wear a bra!

I think that working in the environment I do, nippleage is a no no! (teaching)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

pow wow wrote: »
    Don't you find people stare though? Or you feel like they're staring?! I forgot to put one on when getting changed to go to Tesco one evening...never again! Unless the top you're wearing has a specific chest part (like those gypsy style tops that flow out from under the bust) it's pretty obvious that you're not wearing a bra - whatever your chest size.

I'd personally find it very hard to not wear a bra if I was wearing an outfit that was more fitted at or right below the chest, as it would be very obvious and it wouldn't look right without the shape a bra gives. With looser clothes made of thicker materials it's not noticeable at all whether you're wearing a bra or not. At least in my case it isn't.

I'd imagine it would be different with a bigger size.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I am pro- bras for comfort sake; I have a big cup size and it would not at all be comfy doing anything other than lazing in the house (in a supportive top mind you!). Plus clothes don't sit right on bigger boobed girls when they are braless; the tops stretch form the neck down.
    Used to wear one in bed when I was in my teens/early twenties but given u on that now and it is more comfy; except during that certain time of the month when i find it can be too painful not to wear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Going without a bra can look great but imho i hate doing that unless im in bed. going without a bra but putting a top on anyway just feels horrible tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

My roommate in college was an A cup and could get away without wearing a bra and I was always a little jealous.

I had a C cup by the time I was 12 and am now a D/DD depending on the brand and I can't imagine not wearing one. It would just be so uncomfortable - both physically and psychologically.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

gbee wrote: »
    The bra has a function and was invented by a man, austensibily to make money.
    On November 13, 1914, the newly formed U.S. patent category for "brassieres" was inaugurated [6] with a patent issued to Mary Phelps Jacob.

As for wearing them, I'm too large not to. I think for my shape and comfort I would dislike it. I never wear them with pjs or anything though so if I'm lounging around the house I'm probably not wearing one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I often go braless I'm not busty and small myself so can pull it off. I don't wear a bra if I've backache. I find it uncomfortable but I always wear a bra when out and about might not always wear it at home though. I like to give my chest a break from wearing bras now and again anyway. Think its healthy to do that once in a while. Think busty girls should only go braless once they don't wear a white t-shirt! If they wore a training bra or sports vest might be better and would be for any girl who goes braless.
    Bras are for support than anything else and to make girls feel womanly and sexy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I hate bras so much, but I wear them anyway. I lost a load of weight and put on a good bit of muscle over the summer so I've gone from a 30E to a 32B, which is awesome, because I don't necessarily need one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 MTF1

If you're an "A" cup I can't see the problem with going braless as long as you're wearing the right clothes! Go for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

God, the first thing I do in the morning is put on a bra, even if I'm staying in my pyjamas! It just feels so awful, them sitting on my tummy :(

Also feel uncomfortable if the bra doesn't have padding, the nipple thing :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I'm quite small so wearing no bra makes me look completely flat. I don't so much mind that if I could find a top that looked right. I've never gone out in public with no bra on (well I have but with heavy jumpers on). but I think my main thing about going braless, and I was hoping someone else would have said it first so I'm not the only one :o but i'm quite pointy when i'm not 'cold' :o and so it's not like a t-shirt would easily sit over me properly. I don't mind being small but this pointiness is the reason i wouldn't go braless in a t -shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Personally I wouldn't find it comfortable to not wear a bra. God forbid I'd have to run for a bus or something.. :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

As a DD/E cup there's no chance of my leaving the house without a bra. Too much jiggling around and the friction kills my nipples so it's just plain uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i wear a bra all day long, even if just lounging around the house, but i dont wear one in bed.

these babies are just too big to be let loose on the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

I was about to say I wish I could go without a bra (as I am extremely top heavy) but thinking about it, I would feel really weird not wearing one. The only time I don't is in bed but as soon as I get up I put one on, if I didn't my back would be killing me and I'd feel very conscious of my boobs resting down so far! It can be really annoying though, not being able to buy a certain top/dress because of bra considerations and I'm sure it would be lovely to just be able to buy whatever style you want and not think of straps showing or cleavage (plunge bras aren't available in my size :() but I've been wearing a bra for so many years now it would be really odd not to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Always wear a bra out in public. I could go without weight wise because I'm only a 34C. However my nipples stand to attention and in my view thats a social no no....:o

I cannot wear light bras for the same reason and tend to wear t-shirt style bras or slightly padded styles. I have to be careful that my bra pass the nipple show test especially in summer.

I can understand why people wear a bra in bed, my boobs ballooned when I was pregnant and I then understood what it was like to need support from a bra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

The thought freaks me out. Im an E and as someone who only got out of bed today to go downstairs for dinner, the bra still went on. Id feel kinda on show without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

34C, so I wouldn't dream of it! But I wouldn't think anything of a girl who did, if it looks good sure why not! And I honestly think seeing nipples can be pretty sexy! Watch a lot of tv shows, especially Friends, and you'll see that they've made a special effort in wardrobe to make sure nipples can be seen through clothes.

Advertisement