Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM CINEMA LIMERICK GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PontyfaxJr

Metroid is clearly letting his own bad experiences with the former management get to him.
    The only bad experience i've had in there is seeing dragonball evolution.
    And the crap food, crap prices, crap screens (avatar cut out for about 10 minutes, no sound) and the useless foreign staff who can't seem to understand my order.

Other than that I love it.

Oh wait, there's no lock on some of the toilet cubicles.

The omniplex is rubbish too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TheBooms

Prices arent really something that are set by that by banch, but by the overall company. Really most cinemas around are much too expensive. It just seems that Storm is that bit more so. Many people are willing to pay that much anyway, so why would they make it cheaper? Eventualy they are just gonna get even more expensive.
    Seems to me that as long as people pay they can charge whatever they want.
    Under any conditions they want.Crap heating doesnt really need to be fixed as long ad people keep going.
    So i guess it would be mad from they're standpoint to charge less then they have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PontyfaxJr

TheBooms wrote: »
    Prices arent really something that are set by that by banch, but by the overall company.
    Really most cinemas around are much too expensive.
    It just seems that Storm is that bit more so.
    Many people are willing to pay that much anyway, so why would they make it cheaper?
    Eventualy they are just gonna get even more expensive.

Under any conditions they want.
    Crap heating doesnt really need to be fixed as long ad people
    keep going.
    So i guess it would be mad from they're standpoint to charge less then they have to.

Genius. I c whut u did thar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

The choice between the Omni or Storm is the old South Park question of "Giant Douche or Turd Sandwich?".

My friend's usually insist on Storm and in consecutive trips to the there we've had;
    Aspect ratio and screen alignment is messed up for first few minutes until someone complains (Shutter Island).
    Freezing screening rooms (Where the Wild Things Are).
    Projector breaking twice mid-movie (Kick Ass), everyone missed the ending of the movie as it broke during the finale. As we waited outside for word of refund, weren't successful, someone popped the head in and said the film was back on and by that stage the credits began to roll.
    Projector broke down during the finale of Predators.
    Loss of sound for a few minutes during the last showdown (Scott Pilgrim Vs the World).
    Friend's last Friday had to wait for ages for 127 Hours to be screened. They got a refund and a free pass which made up for it, but in all my time I've never got a refund from any cinema.

Also how do advertisers justify paying good money for cinema advertising when every second advert seems to be fuzzy and beyond listenable?

The seats in Storm have bugged me since day one. There is not enough leg room and for normal sized to tall people (of which I fit in that bracket) my knees are destroyed when leaving a film. All my friends are short so don't notice this. It makes it annoying too when someone behind has their knees in the back of your chair and move it with their shuffling. Stupid rocking seats.

The floors are too hollow and loud when people come in and out of a movie. Given it's Limerick you're never far away from being in the theatre with a bunch of shams and they make themselves extra heard when running in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

TheBooms wrote: »
    Prices arent really something that are set by that by banch, but by the overall company.
    Really most cinemas around are much too expensive.
    It just seems that Storm is that bit more so.
    Many people are willing to pay that much anyway, so why would they make it cheaper?
    Eventualy they are just gonna get even more expensive.

Under any conditions they want.
    Crap heating doesnt really need to be fixed as long ad people
    keep going.
    Interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Friend's last Friday had to wait for ages for 127 Hours to be screened. They got a refund and a free pass which made up for it, but in all my time I've never got a refund from any cinema.

127 Hours thats a long time to be waiting

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jocksandsocks

The choice between the Omni or Storm is the old South Park question of "Giant Douche or Turd Sandwich?".

My friend's usually insist on Storm and in consecutive trips to the there we've had;
    Aspect ratio and screen alignment is messed up for first few minutes until someone complains (Shutter Island).
    Freezing screening rooms (Where the Wild Things Are).
    Projector breaking twice mid-movie (Kick Ass), everyone missed the ending of the movie as it broke during the finale. As we waited outside for word of refund, weren't successful, someone popped the head in and said the film was back on and by that stage the credits began to roll.
    Projector broke down during the finale of Predators.
    Loss of sound for a few minutes during the last showdown (Scott Pilgrim Vs the World).

Also how do advertisers justify paying good money for cinema advertising when every second advert seems to be fuzzy and beyond listenable?

The seats in Storm have bugged me since day one. There is not enough leg room and for normal sized to tall people (of which I fit in that bracket) my knees are destroyed when leaving a film. All my friends are short so don't notice this. It makes it annoying too when someone behind has their knees in the back of your chair and move it with their shuffling. Stupid rocking seats.

The floors are too hollow and loud when people come in and out of a movie. Given it's Limerick you're never far away from being in the theatre with a bunch of shams and they make themselves extra heard when running in and out.

so you hangout with midgets? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

like i said i wrote to them and this is their reply and its very acceptable in my opinion.as i said before i do like the cinema just the heating thing was annoying.

"Thank you for your email giving us feedback on your experiences at Storm Cinemas Limerick. We are currently having problems with the heating system in our building. We had engineers in today from the UK trying to fix the heating. They managed to get most of the screens up and running. Screens 6 and 7 are still not fixed as new thermal drums are needed. These have been ordered and should be fitted within the next two weeks. The reason why it has been taking so long is simply because the previous three engineering companies we had in could not fix the problem. The heating company we currently have now seem to be very good and hopefully all 8 cinema screens will be fully fixed very soon.

I realise after paying a large amount of money at our cinema that you would expect a high standard of service and I am sorry that this had not fully been provided to both you and the rest of our guests. I am very aware you are not the only person with concerns but I can assure you that we are taking this issue very seriously. It is very frustrating for us here when we cannot provide the service you expect but we had to get non-local engineers in to fix the problem as their reputation and results far exceeded other companies.

I would like to thank you for being a loyal guest at Storm Limerick and I do not want to lose your custom. You should have been offered a discount or some form of complimentary gesture and I am sorry this was not provided to you at the time you visited us. "

and they offered me a few free movies passes,not my goal at the start, but at least i got a reply and at least they are addressing the suituation.

well done storm.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Great to see something like that. :) Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

I was there last week to see TRON in screen 1. First of all they've no MINSTRELS..."We only stock nestle products now" they said. Fair enough. Then Screen 1 was FREEZING. Sat there with my coat and gloves on and so was everyone else we looked like a meeting of flashers anonymous...all 12 of us in there. Then to top it off the sound was atrocious. The 3rd last speaker on the left hand side when your sitting is F%&KED.
    It squeaks screeches and pracrically farted the whole way through the movie. I used to love going to STORM...but never again. They've lost a movie addict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Only problem with that e-mail is the place being cold isn't a recent thing like that would lead you to believe. Its been freezing in there for at least a year and half.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Pity they didnt address the atrocious projection and sound issues there, I'm just going to the omniplex midweek now, 4 quid a ticket through the O2 treats thingy, least if theres an issue it wont feel like you've spent a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Sat there with my coat and gloves on and so was everyone else we looked like a meeting of flashers anonymous...all 12 of us in there.

Ahahaha thanks for the good laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Jofspring wrote: »
    Only problem with that e-mail is the place being cold isn't a recent thing like that would lead you to believe. Its been freezing in there for at least a year and half.

Yep i went to see The Road there around this time last year and we got the same 'heating is broken in that screen' spiel. It was absolutely freezing, we even thought about leaving it was that cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yep i went to see The Road there around this time last year and we got the same 'heating is broken in that screen' spiel. It was absolutely freezing, we even thought about leaving it was that cold.

Maybe it was their way of making you feel immersed in the movie, nothing gets you into a post apocaltptic tale of survival than sitting there freezing your ass off feeling like one of the characters :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

kakee wrote: »
    Even though we live in a world where all films new and old are available to most via the internet ,legally and indeed illegally, you just can't beat going to the cinema to watch a film. When the storm cinema opened it was fantastic. Seeing the staff all dressed up with dickiebows etc.
    Cinemas are providing a service to us as consumers and a cinema should rightly be expected to provide its patrons with comfortable heating, good clear screens and proper sound systems.
    I myself have not gone there since about last october. Some things that annoyed me were:
    They changed the nachos and cheese to some other crap
    The carpets were sticky as you walked on them.
    Films stopped working as projectors were breaking down.
    Sometimes when the films were being shown the sound was not in synch with the picture.
    The cinemas were very cold even in summer and one night the fire slarm went off at least four times.

I sent the company an e-mail some time ago but did not get a response. If enough of us contact the company maybe something will be done there.
    The contact form is here http://www.stormcinemas.ie/contact

P.S. Might I just add Storm is still better than the omniplex.

Thanks for the link, emailed them and got a reply from Duty Manager raising my concerns, the Manager advised me of the issues and resolutions and overall a very well put together email and coming from a customer service background i found it very comprehensive and also got sent some comps in the post today for storm!
    I look forward to testing them out soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Came out of screen 4 earlier. It was nippy in there, but not as bad as when I was in there a few months back.
    I mentioned it to the person I was with, and a member of staff overheard us, and gave us two comps, and apologised. They said there was someone over from the UK to fix the heating....?
    Anyways, I suppose it was fair enough to get the comps...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

seachto7 wrote: »
    Came out of screen 4 earlier. It was nippy in there, but not as bad as when I was in there a few months back.
    I mentioned it to the person I was with, and a member of staff overheard us, and gave us two comps, and apologised. They said there was someone over from the UK to fix the heating....?
    Anyways, I suppose it was fair enough to get the comps...

Maybe they will start to tackle the issue head on so. Doubtful though.

Have not gone there since last summer when I saw Inception. I used to be an avid goer there but just got so sick of wasting my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Went to the Green Hornet last night and it was like a f**king crèche in there. At least 15 kids who had no interest in the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Mr E wrote: »
    Went to the Green Hornet last night and it was like a f**king crèche in there. At least 15 kids who had no interest in the movie.

Was the movie any good though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah not bad. Good action and a few laughs. Won't win any oscars though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

When I arrived in Limerick almost 6 years ago to attend UL, Storm Cinema was, imo, an excellent cinema. It was well run with good supervisors, and well groomed staff [at least they had the appearance of it anyhow]... they also appeared to care about what the customer wanted, and the prices were somewhat reasonable.

About 18 months ago, the Storm franchise was bough out by Odeon/UCI Ltd - see the contact details section of the webpage for further proof: http://www.stormcinemas.ie/contact

Before then there was a small decline in standards brought about by the constant changing in supervisors, and the lack of a genuine managerial presence there. The standard of supervisors [who also do the projectionist work in Storm] declined from those that were there 4/5 years ago.

Since the takeover I have seen a further decline in standards, from screen cleaning to projectionists, to uniforms [I could go on and on].

I havent seen the coffee/wine bar opened in over 3 years, and it used to be opened every Friday and Saturday night with a dedicated person working the counter, offering lattes and cappuccinos etc...But that service seems to be wasted now.

The addition of the ice-cream counter and pick n' mix has increased selection a little, but stocking only Nestle products is also reducing products. I also have a suspicion that Coca Cola is not longer dispensed there, and that its Pepsi instead [not 100% sure on this] ...I know a lot of these things though, as I know quite a lot of people who have worked there, or still do.

On the subject of the projection problems. The head projectionist was tragically struck down by illness and passed away in late October/ early November [exact date eludes me right now]... Its no excuse for not having trained replacements, but the ability and experience that he had is sorely missed in Storm since then. [May he R.I.P.]

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Was the projection duty always carried out by supervisors or just since the head projectionist passed away?

I can't see how a supervisor would have time to supervise the floor and take care of projection duties :confused:

A supervisor should always be on the floor keeping an eye on the staff making sure everything is running smoothly and dealing with any customer complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

The supervisors would have a shift as a projectionist. They wouldnt have double duties until after the last show of the night was started. Then the projectionist would go home, and the supervisor would have responsibility for the films ongoing, as well as closing duties.

Makes sense, thats manageable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Mossin is spot on. Place was grand until Odeon bought in. However it was actually 3yrs ago that Odeon bought in, not 18mths ago as I was working at the time.

@ Mossin, where did you hear about the head projectionist dying? This is news to me and I would really like to know what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

I was in Storm last wednesday I think to see 127 hours, it was on in screen 2 and at 21:15 it was roasting in there!! I had to take off my geansaí, as did my friends so I wasn't the only one to feel it. Floor was clean, although still sticky.

Picture quality was fine, but I had a question about the sound quality. During the ads before the film started the sound was really distorted and crackling in the speakers, however these all seemed to be ads that were made in Ireland, when trailers came on the sound quality was much more crisp and strong, and it was like this for the rest of the movie so no complaints I was just worried that it would be clipping for the entire movie!

Is the sound system not suited to particular formats of sound recording? I don't know anything about that kind of thing.

The ads usually get played more than the trailers and films themselves and get damaged slightly every time they are played due to scratches etc, so if the ads are fairly old the sound quality on them would be crap.

It would be the same film being put onto all the new films that come into the cinema. For example when a new film comes in, the ads are taken off the old film reel and put onto the new films reel. So they could be really old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Note that films have sound recorded for surround while most of the ads do not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    The ads usually get played more than the trailers and films themselves and get damaged slightly every time they are played due to scratches etc, so if the ads are fairly old the sound quality on them would be crap.

It would be the same film being put onto all the new films that come into the cinema. For example when a new film comes in, the ads are taken off the old film reel and put onto the new films reel. So they could be really old.
    GodlessM wrote: »
    Note that films have sound recorded for surround while most of the ads do not.

And we're not there to watch the ads anyway :D

Advertisement