Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STORM CINEMA LIMERICK GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.

Options
  • 08-01-2011 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

myself and my son whos 4 attend your cinema nearly every weekend and up until recently we loved going.for the past few months the heating in one particular screening room in limerick(number 5 i think) has been broken.now i understand once or twice but we have been 7 or 8 times to be told the heating is broke in that cinema would you still like to view the movie there?

fine they give us a choice, but for god sake why hasnt it been fixed.this is going on as far back as the start of november.even in the freezing cold weather we were asked would we like to view the movie.i said no thanks and took my buisness elsewhere.
    never once were we offered a discount or anything etc as a token.
    the staff in limerick storm seem like they really couldnt care less about their customers and the suituation.id love an explanaion as to whats going on.

it happened as recently as today!id love to know where i could go to complain.i doubt complaining to the staff in limerick storm would do any good.besides ive tried it and they look at you like you have 10 heads.

rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Have always found Storm really cold. Stopped going there for this reason. The leg room used to kill me too. I'm not that tall but always had a pain in my legs when leaving there cause i felt like i had no room in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

crazygeryy wrote: »

Here here. Went there in the really cold snap there before Christmas. It was pretty cool at the screen we went into but wasn't perishing either so I kinda assumed either the heating wasn't working or not on too high. Would actually have overlooked that but what did really annoy me was the amount of litter chucked around the place. The first seat I sat down on was soaked from soda I think (I hope!!!). In fairness I thought some guy should be coming in with a black sack and getting rid of litter between viewings, wouldn't take too long and there was enough staff out around the front at cash desk.

I'm not a big cinema goer, only once in the blue moon, Storm cinema is nearest to me but all the same think I'll pop over to the Crescent in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Seems to always be a problem with storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The place has gone to the dogs lately, I used to go out there even though i live on the other side of town but now I just go to the Omniplex, theres more leg room and the seats are nicer i think. I saw Tron in Storm cos I couldnt make it to the omniplex showing and the same thing, heatings broke, do you wanna see it anyway?

Their projectionist needs a kick in the balls as well, every time i go there the film is in the wrong ratio for the beginning of it, or part of it is being projected on the wall or the sound is awful, it seems like the sound systems havent been updated in years, I saw Transformers 2 (i know i know) and one of the speakers sounded like it was about to explode every time something loud happened.
    Irish cinemas are leagues behind the ones in the UK and America anyway but given theres only 2 cinemas in Limerick theres no excuse for them to be this sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,673 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

krudler wrote: »
    Their projectionist needs a kick in the balls as well, every time i go there the film is in the wrong ratio for the beginning of it, or part of it is being projected on the wall or the sound is awful, it seems like the sound systems havent been updated in years

Ya, everytime we go, either the ratio is wrong or the sound is awful. Someone always ends up getting up and going to tell someone and then its fixed. Don't the look at the screen from the projection booth?

Other than that though, the main reason for avoiding cinema now a days is the 90% chance knacks will be messing in there, talking, laughing, on the phone, basically doing anything but watch the film which just wrecks my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I stopped going there about a year ago. I got sick of asking them to sort out the screen and on a few occasions the sound, when i did go to complain, I just got looks off the crowd behind the counter. One movie was so bad people got up and left and got no refund.

I used avoid the omniplex because of the crowd that went there... but storm has gone to the dogs.

I am a big cinema goer... about once a week or twice every three weeks and Storm will not get my business again until they sort out their projectionist problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

The place has gone to the dogs lately, I used to go out there even though i live on the other side of town but now I just go to the Omniplex, theres more leg room and the seats are nicer i think. I saw Tron in Storm cos I couldnt make it to the omniplex showing and the same thing, heatings broke, do you wanna see it anyway?

Their projectionist needs a kick in the balls as well, every time i go there the film is in the wrong ratio for the beginning of it
    , or part of it is being projected on the wall or the sound is awful, it seems like the sound systems havent been updated in years, I saw Transformers 2 (i know i know) and one of the speakers sounded like it was about to explode every time something loud happened.
    Irish cinemas are leagues behind the ones in the UK and America anyway but given theres only 2 cinemas in Limerick theres no excuse for them to be this sh1te.

Saw Tron there last night and those two were very noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

yes, agree storm is rubbish

Its ridiculous in an age where you can download pretty much every film on in the cinema at the moment right now online that cinemas allow their standards to slip, it speaks volumes that I can watch a rip of a bluray on my tv with a decent set of headphones and it will look and sound better than the majority of what storm show, they should be going out of their way to get people back in the cinemas by making sure its as good as a movie can look and sound

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shano1888

Was in today to see 127 hours and the place was dead. At half 2 on a sat!! No heating in the screen I think it was actually colder in the theatre than it was outside! Also 12 euro for a combo meal with herself; Place would want to get its sh!t together alrite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

well i wrote to storm themselves with the above complaint and told them joe duffy might like to hear about it lol.god im old.:(

but i would do it if i dont get a good response.but to be honest i wont hold my breath about getting one.
    i didnt think id get this many replies here though.

what the hell has happened to customer service and making sure you run a smooth REASONABLY PRICED!! buisness.3.30 for a bag of malteasers my ass.

anyway thats another days work.

thanks for the replies.

ps in america they dont show adverts just loads of trailers which is cool and your right krudler they are way ahead of us in the cinema world.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Even though we live in a world where all films new and old are available to most via the internet ,legally and indeed illegally, you just can't beat going to the cinema to watch a film. When the storm cinema opened it was fantastic. Seeing the staff all dressed up with dickiebows etc.
    Cinemas are providing a service to us as consumers and a cinema should rightly be expected to provide its patrons with comfortable heating, good clear screens and proper sound systems.
    I myself have not gone there since about last october. Some things that annoyed me were:
    They changed the nachos and cheese to some other crap
    The carpets were sticky as you walked on them.
    Films stopped working as projectors were breaking down.
    Sometimes when the films were being shown the sound was not in synch with the picture.
    The cinemas were very cold even in summer and one night the fire slarm went off at least four times.

I sent the company an e-mail some time ago but did not get a response. If enough of us contact the company maybe something will be done there.
    The contact form is here http://www.stormcinemas.ie/contact

P.S. Might I just add Storm is still better than the omniplex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Hmmmm I am very suspicious...

Went to see a film on in Screen 1 the day after Stephen's day last week, and when buying the ticket was told "heating broken in that screen"...was after making effort to get in there (and with other people) so my response was like "oh shur ok..." but I found it very very cold in there. The tip of my nose was freezing.

The price of the coke and popcorn in there is crazy. For 1 ticket, in a freezing cinema, 1 small coke and pop corn, and e2 of pick and mix it was e21.

Ok ok maybe should have stopped in the shop, but come on like...would put you off big time and they wonder why they are struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I was at my friends place in castletroy and we wanted to go to the cinema, would have gone omniplex only for the fact it was pretty late. Brought a hot water bottle with me to storm! its a joke!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The price of their food plus the poor quality sound meant i stopped going to Storm about a year ago. The Omniplex solely gets my custom now. At least they dont treat their customers like $hit.

kakee wrote: »
    Even though we live in a world where all films new and old are available to most via the internet ,legally and indeed illegally, you just can't beat going to the cinema to watch a film. When the storm cinema opened it was fantastic. Seeing the staff all dressed up with dickiebows etc.
    Cinemas are providing a service to us as consumers and a cinema should rightly be expected to provide its patrons with comfortable heating, good clear screens and proper sound systems.
    I myself have not gone there since about last october. Some things that annoyed me were:
    They changed the nachos and cheese to some other crap
    The carpets were sticky as you walked on them.
    Films stopped working as projectors were breaking down.
    Sometimes when the films were being shown the sound was not in synch with the picture.
    The cinemas were very cold even in summer and one night the fire slarm went off at least four times.

I sent the company an e-mail some time ago but did not get a response. If enough of us contact the company maybe something will be done there.
    The contact form is here http://www.stormcinemas.ie/contact

P.S. Might I just add Storm is still better than the omniplex.

not lately though, and give the €4 ticket promo they're doing on weekdays it cost a fraction of what it does to go to storm, I never, ever buy food in storm is insane how expensive it is, just go to a shop and get a bag of sweets for about a euro less. last time i went it cost two friends i was with 40 odd quid between them for a ticket, food and drink, I spent the ticket price and that was it. the cinema used to be something to do before heading for a few drinks afterwards, now its as expensive as a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Its still better than the omniplex. You'd do well not to get stabbed in that place on a sunday.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Its still better than the omniplex. You'd do well not to get stabbed in that place on a sunday.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I've ever heard of a stabbing inside the Omniplex.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

I was commenting on the amount of heads you see in there over the weekend. Its hilarious. Tracksuits all over the place.

Ill agree that storm is cold though. The main screen is like an icebox sometimes. I do wish they would free up a few screens from 3D flicks though. I know 3D makes money but a lot of good films dont get any showings because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I was commenting on the amount of heads you see in there over the weekend. Its hilarious. Tracksuits all over the place.

Ill agree that storm is cold though. The main screen is like an icebox sometimes. I do wish they would free up a few screens from 3D flicks though. I know 3D makes money but a lot of good films dont get any showings because of it.

So if I were to wear a tracksuit to the omniplex I'd immediately be considered a threat? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

The travelling community is well known for frequenting omniplex on a Sunday too. I haven't been there for years on a Sunday but I remember more traveller than scumbags being there on Sundays.

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    The travelling community is well known for frequenting omniplex on a Sunday too. I haven't been there for years on a Sunday but I remember more traveller than scumbags being there on Sundays.

Omniplex on sunday afternoons is an absolute no go for me, worked there once and it was headwrecking having to deal with all the travellers in for the day , wandering around between the screens interrupting everyone elses viewing of the movies, the amount of complaints we used to get was unreal, couldnt bar them cos they waved discrimination charges at the management once. discrimination against loud annoying gobsh1tes yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Went to see gullivers travels on thursday in screen 1 and was told the same,heating was broken :( ,we just kept our coats on,have to say the room and seats were clean though. Has anyone ever been served a coffee there btw? I've never seen it (the coffee & wine bar) staffed and they could do great business with it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Do ye think either they havent paid the heating bill or cant afford to get it fixed?

The way the counter guy said it, it sounded like it was screen 1 only, but obviously not so.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Omniplex on sunday afternoons is an absolute no go for me, worked there once and it was headwrecking having to deal with all the travellers in for the day , wandering around between the screens interrupting everyone elses viewing of the movies, the amount of complaints we used to get was unreal, couldnt bar them cos they waved discrimination charges at the management once. discrimination against loud annoying gobsh1tes yes.

Worked there myself for a year or two :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

had the same thing before xmas. I went to see Due Date, and had my coat over me to act as a blanket. F**king freezing!!! :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Always go to Storm and to be honest never had a problem.

kilburn wrote: »

you must be in minority, its either freezing,roasting or the picture and sound are messed up, its no so bad with digital showings but anything shown on film is guaranteed to be half out of focus or projected in the wrong aspect ratio, I went to the cinema in America a few months back and the difference is absolutely unreal, THX certified cinemas with wrapround screens, and its still cheaper than here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TheBooms

Yeah the heating was gone in there last i was in, but that wasn't really an issue. I mean i just put my jacket on, most cinema screens are chilly anyway. The movie starting 20 mins late on the other hands was a pain. Though still not as annoying as the guy sitting a couple seats down texting on his phone, think the cinema staff could pop there head in the door to see if this kinda thing was going on and to make sure everyone was behaving. Still though, better then the Omniplex, where i actualy saw a guy stand up and stretch in the middle of the isle blocking th screen for a good few people.
    The first seat I sat down on was soaked from soda I think (I hope!!!). In fairness I thought some guy should be coming in with a black sack and getting rid of litter between viewings, wouldn't take too long and there was enough staff out around the front at cash desk.

How are they supposed to dry a seat with a black sack? or are they supposed to come in with a hair dryer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

kilburn wrote: »

Seriously? You must be the luckiest man alive. I'd swear you'd have more of a chance of being hit by lightning, than seeing a film in storm that doesn't mess up. I even have a bet with my friends as to what specific aspect will **** up! The loser has to eat a kid's combo and not complain about how ****ing cold the popcorn is..

Are they high selling popcorn in bags?

Oh I could go on for ice ages about the bad maintainence, the broken seats, quality of food, the heat in screens, the poor projection, The expense
    but you know the score and so do they. One of them will be viewing this I'm sure.

The omniplex is a better run cinema in that it actually runs. At least I can get my ticket without having to queue up hours for the smallest Ben and Jerrys ice cream cup I've seen in my life for 5 euros or something.

Good day :)

Advertisement