Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there lots of black people in Ireland and is there generally a lot of racism?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

you should live in the UK and listen to the Irish give out about them immigrants.

Most annoying blood thing is they can't get the name right for a black person in Irish

Irish people are two faced. In ireland almost all of them talked bad about the british. But when they are with British people they talked bad about immigrants. Such hypocrites still exist here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Irish people are two faced. In ireland almost all of them talked bad about the british. But when they are with British people they talked bad about immigrants. Such hypocrites still exist here.

OMG

HEADLINES - ALL IRISH PEOPLE ARE TWO FACED

just in from the Scorpioshere Daily Press.......

I got mad rolls eyes skills but i dont think this even rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Sisko wrote: »
    Something that belongs on stormfront.

I should've known he;d be a radical. Someone with an Exclamation mark at the end AND the front of their name is always gonna be a loose cannon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

And then theres the fact that the word MAVERICK in caps is in-between said exclamation marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Most annoying blood thing is they can't get the name right for a black person in Irish

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

m@cc@ wrote: »
    :confused:

The say Fear Dubh instead of Fear Gorm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

There is a lot of tribalism. It's a Dublin / Cork thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Fúcking hilarious lads. Keep it up! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I dpn't care how many black people there are, as long as i can have a go at them feckin greeks.

They invented gayness!

I haven't much time to devote to the awl racism.

The farm takes up most of my time and in the evenings I just like a cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Happily we export a large number of our racists, so that they can complain about immigrants with perfectly oblivious hypocrisy. There was a bit of a backlog in the Celtic Tiger years and many were forced to hang about in Ireland making up stories about abandoned buggies at bus-stops, but we're working through that now.

Being a smidgeon more serious, most Irish racism does seem to be focussed on country of origin, rather than skin-colour. There's a perception that many people from Eastern Europe, east Asia and Africa are here to either undercut local wage rates with sub-standard work, or more generally scrounge benefits and get preferential treatment in receiving free housing, free cars, medical care and who knows what other barmy ideas. Those from countries we consider our 'equals' (or betters) like Britain, America, Australia, Scandanavia etc. we just slag mercilessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I dont know if anyone has pointed this out but if you plan on moving here you better have a job lined up or have a few degrees because if you just wing it, you wont find work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Grimes wrote: »
    I dont know if anyone has pointed this out but if you plan on moving here you better have a job lined up or have a few degrees because if you just wing it, you wont find work.

Is it cuz he is black?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

The say Fear Dubh instead of Fear Gorm

So they call them the Devil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Crosáidí wrote: »
    So they call them the Devil

Thanks

Is that what it is, never hear that before?

See one get his come uppence when an a Jamaican geezer pulled them on it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I've seen some racism against black people, but I think the majority of people are not (at least overtly) racist and I believe that most black people find that there is not a lot of racism here.

Of course, I'm not black so I can only say from what I've seen and black people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Thanks

Is that what it is, never hear that before?

I was always under the impression the Irish for black people was blue man, or blue men or something. Originating from trade missions with north African tribes who wore blue face paint and clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I was always under the impression the Irish for black people was blue man, or blue men or something. Originating from trade missions with north African tribes who wore blue face paint and clothes.

It is.

fear gorm - black man
    fear dubh - the devil (one of his names anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

I always thought that daoine gorm (blue people) originated from when there was only black and white TV's and when Irish people saw black people on TV (around 1920's) they appeared blue'ish.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I see fat yanks getting laughed at all the time for being fat and yanks... its terrible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

By far the most racist country I have lived in. One of the most hideous things about it is also that a large amount of the racist abuse comes from those who consider themselves "disadvantaged". This charming group of which there are way too many will physically and verbally threaten and indeed assult you. We have had several racist fatalities over the last few years. I would not like to look 'foreign' in this country. It is shameful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Themanbear

Chinasea wrote: »
    By far the most racist country I have lived in. One of the most hideous things about it is also that a large amount of the racist abuse comes from those who consider themselves "disadvantaged". This charming group of which there are way too many will physically and verbally threaten and indeed assult you. We have had several racist fatalities over the last few years. I would not like to look 'foreign' in this country. It is shameful.

Whoa, so it's not safe to walk in the Streets of Dublin for example as a foreigner? o.O

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Put the glitter stick away drama queen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Themanbear wrote: »
    Whoa, so it's not safe to walk in the Streets of Dublin for example as a foreigner? o.O
    You'll be grand, just pretend you're Will Smith, anybody who harasses you on the street will be so off their head to notice any difference.

You'll be grand, just pretend you're Will Smith, anybody who harasses you on the street will be so off their head to notice any difference.

But isnt he like 6'3 or something? I'm not that tall or that funny :/

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

"Durk our durrr!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

No - it is not safe - like I said we have had several race fatalities and yet the joking continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Lumen wrote: »
    My own experience as a white British person is that I occasionally hear Irish people slagging "immigrants", in conversation with me, with no obvious irony.

On the rare occasion I bother challenging the contradiction directly, I'm told that they're not talking about me because "you're one of us/the same as us".
    I get the exact same thing in England with English people.

I think small mindedness and bigotry are everywhere. Don't think Ireland's too bad for it, all things considered. At least compared to other places I've been.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No - it is not safe - like I said we have had several race fatalities and yet the joking continues.
    lol, dramatic much?

Why does the word "Fatality" remind me of Mortal Komat? LOL

All joking aside wouldn't it be on global news occasionally if racism was that bad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Why does the word "Fatality" remind me of Mortal Komat? LOL

All joking aside wouldn't it be on global news occasionally if racism was that bad?

it would be but dont let facts get in the way of a good rant!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement