Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there lots of black people in Ireland and is there generally a lot of racism?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,036 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yeah, but was there anything in it?

Yes. Cash, cards, drivers licence, everything.

He looked a bit surprised when I hugged him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Me?

Yeah and you've now failed twice by not replying to my post with a rollyeyed smiley. How could you miss such a brilliant set up? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Lumen wrote: »
    My own experience as a white British person is that I occasionally hear Irish people slagging "immigrants", in conversation with me, with no obvious irony.

On the rare occasion I bother challenging the contradiction directly, I'm told that they're not talking about me because "you're one of us/the same as us".

I'd half a mind to get some business cards printed out for an Oliver Cromwell Appreciation Society Of The British Isles And Former Colonic Territories, with a link to a website (ciníochtuilli.ie ?) explaining in detail how fúcking stupid they are.

you should live in the UK and listen to the Irish give out about them immigrants.

Most annoying blood thing is they can't get the name right for a black person in Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

CorkMan wrote: »
    I have never seen any racism TBH, I never once saw an Irish man called a black man a "nigg3r" or anything like that.

Speaking for Cork City, there are a fair amount of black people around. Cork is a multi-cultural place, so there are many nationalities.

Multi Cultural

We tolerate non Cork people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Sisko wrote: »
    Yeah and you've now failed twice by not replying to my post with a rollyeyed smiley. How could you miss such a brilliant set up? :pac:

I was just pointing out the ludicrousness of being half African American and half Swedish.

Makes no sense to me

• Advertisement

I was just pointing out the ludicrousness of being half African American and half Swedish.

Makes no sense to me

Wait your telling me you never heard of African Americans?

Wait your telling me you never heard of African Americans?

I have indeed.

But "African American" is not a Nationality like Swedish is. You're either from America (american) or from a particular African country (e.g. Nigerian).

it would be like me saying "I'm half Scottish and half Muslim".

Yeah but I had asked the guy if he was black earlier in the thread and where he was from, he was just answering my question man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Themanbear

I have indeed.

But "African American" is not a Nationality like Swedish is. You're either from America (american) or from a particular African country (e.g. Nigerian).

it would be like me saying "I'm half Scottish and half Muslim".

Don't be a tool bro. If you had taken the time out to read what I wrote I stated that I move frequently between the two places and therefore have no single particular national identity. I'm African American because one of my parents was born in America and I'm Swedish because one of my parents was born there too.

Get back under the bridge from whence you came troll :P

Yeah but I had asked the guy if he was black earlier in the thread and where he was from, he was just answering my question man.

They prefer African American!

• Advertisement

lol, only if indeed they are African American.

Although that does make me think of a really good 'PC gone mad' style joke to write in for an imaginary sitcom.

Where the overly PC person refers to the guy from Somalia as African American, and awkwardness ensues (followed by laughing from the fake audience)

genius.

:pac:

Although that does make me think of a really good 'PC gone mad' style joke to write in for my imaginary sitcom.

Where the overly PC person refers to the guy from Somalia as African American, genius.

"It's The New Odd Couple, where one is hungry to please... and the other is just hungry!"

What if the Somalian guy was actually Swedish?

Then thats when the shit really hits the fan.

Seinfeld eat your heart out!

Then thats when the shit really hits the fan.

Seinfeld eat your heart out!

Is the Somalian named Seinfeld?

Man, he really IS hungry!

No the Swedish guy is!

No the Swedish guy is!

Oh, the African American Swedish guy?

This is gonna be the best sitcom ever!

No he's the Somalian!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Themanbear wrote: »
    How does Irish society deal with race issues? Is there alot of racism? Are there alot of ethnic minorities living in the country?

I'm curious about this.

I once say a chink, they really are yellow, I was shocked!

We have too many gingers though, I think something needs to be done quick about those gingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

well best of luck with the medical degree. i hope you enjoy yourself. i dont think youll encounter much racism to be honest, as someone said already, youll probably get more stick for being american ;)

I hope you enjoy the place anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

they took our jobs

They turned alot into one word

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

Are there Civil Servants in this Sit-Com too?

I guess you can consider that aswell, however decentralising the foreigners would be more productive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Although that does make me think of a really good 'PC gone mad' style joke to write in for an imaginary sitcom.

Where the overly PC person refers to the guy from Somalia as African American, and awkwardness ensues (followed by laughing from the fake audience)

genius.

There is actually a transcript of a real interview somewhere where the journalist asks a British athlete "so how does it feel to be the first african american to win this medal"
    "I'm not african or american, I'm British"
    "I er but... :confused::confused:"

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    I guess you can consider that aswell, however decentralising the foreigners would be more productive.

Everyone foreign? So, i can stay but my brother, who was born in Belfast and holds a British Passport, will have to move?

bluewolf wrote: »
    There is actually a transcript of a real interview somewhere where the journalist asks a British athlete "so how does it feel to be the first african american to win this medal"
    "I'm not african or american, I'm British"
    "I er but... :confused::confused:"

lol brilliant, let me guess, the journalist was american. :pac:

Everyone foreign? So, i can stay but my brother, who was born in Belfast and holds a British Passport, will have to move?

comment removed.

Fuckin hell Maverick

Fuckin hell Maverick

Ta bron orm.

Wait, I missed that.

What did Maverick say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Themanbear

OMG Somali Seinfield? What have I created o.O

So does Elaine have a 3D booty and Kramer an afro?

• Advertisement

Themanbear wrote: »
    OMG Somali Seinfield? What have I created o.O

So does Elaine have a 3D booty and Kramer an afro?

Nonono its an irish made show, staring a half american half swedish guy (you) as a somlian guy. And MrStuffins as an overly PC swedish guy. Both work for the irish civil service but now your job has been moved out to the bog lands amoungst all the scary bogfolk resulting in many misunderstanding and awkward situations.

The shows gonna be called. "Seinfield eat your heart out" and I reckon we can get 6 seasons out of it at least.
    Wait, I missed that.

What did Maverick say?

Something that belongs on stormfront.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement