Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there lots of black people in Ireland and is there generally a lot of racism?

Options
  • 06-01-2011 5:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

How does Irish society deal with race issues? Is there alot of racism? Are there alot of ethnic minorities living in the country?

I'm curious about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

they took our jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭CrazyBiscuit

and our women.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's the same as in every other country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

The largest immigrant population in Ireland by a country mile are British people. more than all the other immigrant populations totaled ive heard.

they have traditionally been treated with an awful lot of goodwill and are never the butt of a single joke, as I understand it. We are very nice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

and our socks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Themanbear

Well aren't you guys just a riot >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Keno 92 wrote: »
    and our socks.
    So that's where they've all gone

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

You know there's a lot more to racism that just black people getting offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I dpn't care how many black people there are, as long as i can have a go at them feckin greeks.

They invented gayness!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭amacca

IvySlayer wrote: »
    You know there's a lot more to racism that just black people getting offended.

Indeed, its not being done properly if that is the only end result:eek:

• Advertisement

Either all of you guys are trolling me or Ireland is a scary place o.O

Themanbear wrote: »
    Either all of you guys are trolling me or Ireland is a scary place o.O

You mistakenly assume the two are mutually exclusive.

to answer you're question...I personally don't think people in Ireland are any more racist or intolerant than any other country I've visited.

the usual mix of malcontents, tolerant people, psychopaths, activists etc you find everywhere.

And I don't know if there are more ethnic minorities living in Ireland compared to other countries.....I suspect there are less per head of population than somewhere like the UK, France countries like that with colonies etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

and our women.

Naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,036 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My own experience as a white British person is that I occasionally hear Irish people slagging "immigrants", in conversation with me, with no obvious irony.

On the rare occasion I bother challenging the contradiction directly, I'm told that they're not talking about me because "you're one of us/the same as us".

I'd half a mind to get some business cards printed out for an Oliver Cromwell Appreciation Society Of The British Isles And Former Colonic Territories, with a link to a website (ciníochtuilli.ie ?) explaining in detail how fúcking stupid they are.

So a black guy walking down the street isnt going to get stared at like he's an alien or expected to burst out into a freestyle rap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I'm assuming your not Irish , are possibly black and you are possibly going to be visiting / moving here soon.

1st of all, after hours is where everyone takes the piss , its completely standard for a lot of replies to be troll like.

2nd of all, no there is not very many black people in Ireland, in Dublin however there is and black people are quite common.

There are very few Irish black people though but that's changing. The majority of black people around Dublin tend to come from various African countries.

As for racism , you may get different reports but I generally think you would be hard pressed to find people who are out right racist, ie have a pure hatred and look down apon another person due to the colour of their skin.

What's more common however is some small minded peoples general dislike of foriengers in general, be they eastern european, african or asian. Less to do with the colour of their skin and more to do with the fact that they are not irish but working here etc etc.

And then theres national stereotypes for example. Nigerians and indeed Nigeria itself tends to have a bit of a bad rep, and it is likley some people will presume you are nigerian and make presumptions about you before talking to you. Most of the time that presumption will be as harmless as expecting a nigerian accent from you but of course theres always eejits out there that buy into stereotypes 100%.

But anyway no, there is generally not a lot of racism in ireland and apart from dublin black people are not that common here.

Don't worry about it and I hope you have a good time over here.

I personally get very disapointed and disgusted when I do hear about the odd case of racism, and I imagine the vast majority of Irish people are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭pulpfictionost

I never saw anything differant about black people, I still dont.
    The people I watch out for are Nigerians.

I went out with a beautiful nigerian girl for 3 years, and what I learned was horrible. In her family they were all about the 'show' even thought they had no money, her brothers would show off their new expenisve clothes and watches to me. They were highly superficial.

They would regularly beat the living sh1te out of thier sisters, which im told is normal in nigerian culture. She told me she was abused for years when she was a child and raped as a teenager, which is supposedly common enough for her.

They would say ridiculus things that they think are wise, and misquote great authors and poets.

Sometimes they I could hardly stop myself from laughing at the things they would say and do, but beneath it all they were violent as **** to everybody and oppurtunistic thieves.

Also the girl turned out to be a right kunt aswell, which was weird because I always thought she broke the stereotype of loud obnoxious africans.
    One day I caught her ****ing another guy.

So I'm pretty sick to the stomach to say it but when someone tells me they are nigerian alarm bells go off in my head. It aint nice but that just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I dpn't care how many black people there are, as long as i can have a go at them feckin greeks.

They invented gayness!
    Memo to self: send the Greeks a gift basket!

So a black guy walking down the street isnt going to get stared at like he's an alien or expected to burst out into a freestyle rap?

Eh no, this isn't 1980.

Unless you're asking for it.....does this hypothetical "black person" dress like MC Hammer and carry a Ghetto Blaster on his shoulder.

has he/she got a cool 20ft high sculpted fro!

efb wrote: »
    Memo to self: send the Greeks a gift basket!

Quite - less competition.

• Advertisement

I went out with a beautiful nigerian girl for 3 years, and what I learned was horrible. In her family they were all about the 'show' even thought they had no money, her brothers would show off their new expenisve clothes and watches to me. They were highly superficial.

They would regularly beat the living sh1te out of thier sisters, which im told is normal in nigerian culture. She told me she was abused for years when she was a child and raped as a teenager, which is supposedly common enough for her.

They would say ridiculus things that they think are wise, and misquote great authors and poets.

Sometimes they I could hardly stop myself from laughing at the things they would say and do, but beneath it all they were violent as **** to everybody and oppurtunistic thieves.

Also the girl turned out to be a right kunt aswell, which was weird because I always thought she broke the stereotype of loud obnoxious africans.
    One day I caught her ****ing another guy.

So I'm pretty sick to the stomach to say it but when someone tells me they are nigerian alarm bells go off in my head. It aint nice but that just me.

This made me LOL so hard. I don't think anyone anywhere likes Nigerians, not even in Nigeria.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,036 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I passed out with drink in a Dublin taxi a few weeks ago, and in my semi-conscious state left my wallet behind when I got out. The Nigerian driver popped round a few days later to return it.

I was pleased to have two stereotypes overturned in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Lumen wrote: »
    I passed out with drink in a Dublin taxi a few weeks ago, and in my semi-conscious state left my wallet behind when I got out. The Nigerian driver popped round a few days later to return it.

I was pleased to have two stereotypes overturned in one go.
    Yeah, but was there anything in it?

OP was my assumption correct or what? As otherwise this would be a strange thread :P

Where are you from anyway?

And lets not have this thread turn into a Nigerian bashing thread ffs

lol I mean I know your only joking but to start a thread such as this then make a comment such as that, its just a bit .. yeah

Sisko wrote: »
    OP was my assumption correct or what? As otherwise this would be a strange thread :P

Where are you from anyway?

I'm Half African American and Half Swedish. It's hard to say exactly where I'm from since I've moved between NY and Stockholm my whole life. And yes, I'm coming to Ireland soon for Med School :P

You have a way of figuring people out don't you! Sneaky bugger lol

Yeah, I guess it is pretty ironic to bash Nigerians in an anti-racism thread, my apologies lol.

I'm a regular Sherlock Holmes :pac:

I had also guessed you were probably American.

You'll be grand here man, you'd more likely get abuse for being American then anything else tbh :p

I'm Half African American and Half Swedish.

So which half is African, which half is American and which half is Swedish?

Your really askin for a rollyeyed smiley there man tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I have never seen any racism TBH, I never once saw an Irish man called a black man a "nigg3r" or anything like that.

Speaking for Cork City, there are a fair amount of black people around. Cork is a multi-cultural place, so there are many nationalities.

• Advertisement

Sisko wrote: »
    Your really askin for a rollyeyed smiley there man tbh.

Me?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement