Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Significant Snow Risk Friday 7th/Saturday 8th January discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    I got the same heavy Snow as wild bill and Doc :D

Blizzard - what an appropriate name for the conditions we are experiencing.:)
    Are ye able to move around down there in D14 or are ye all snowed in? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

irish1967 wrote: »
    yeah Pangea.. if you look at the Met.ie radar what just went over us didnt exist (if that makes sense). Now the big blob tracking in over north mayo and heading slightly NE definately does exist on the met radar... lets hope it doesnt break up before it gets this far.. looking promising on the 9.15 raintoday and met. Fingers crossed.:rolleyes:

Its going to hit all the west coast too. That angle of attack (in my case coming southeast over Ballybunion) is even a very good one for us here in Cork city if it doesn't break up on landfall. It was that angle of attack that yielded our december snow...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Getting very dark over the hills now..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Some big very wet flakes falling here in Mayo. Seems more huff and puff then anything. temp risen to 1c now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I took the 9.15 images from met and raintoday and superimposed them on one another.. not exactly lined up but gives you an idea of the differences in what each is picking up.
    ol.jpg

• Advertisement

Snowing heavy now , proper snow , like a blizzard. :)
    edit: Im away outside.

10.01.. first very light flakes falling here.. barely visible

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Pangea wrote: »
    Snowing heavy now , proper snow , like a blizzard. :)
    edit: Im away outside.

Lucky you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Blizzard - what an appropriate name for the conditions we are experiencing.:)
    Are ye able to move around down there in D14 or are ye all snowed in? :confused:

No we can't move, complete whiteout, about 2 feet (snow flakes) down already! :D

Dan

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    No we can't move, complete whiteout, about 2 feet (snow flakes) down already! :D

Dan
    two_feet_of_snow.jpg

• Advertisement

08/01/2011 10:00 -2.3 °C 97 % 993.9 hPa 0.0 mm 0.0 km/h (0 Bft) W 270 ° -2.7 °C -2.3 °C 9.0 km/h (2 Bft)
    08/01/2011 09:00 -1.5 °C 98 % 993.8 hPa 0.0 mm 0.0 km/h (0 Bft) W 270 ° -1.8 °C -1.5 °C 0.0 km/h (0 Bft)

Temp and DP both dropping here... snow just starting 10.18am

Still snowing away, some showers of very dry snow and then some showers more of wet snow.

Yeah coming down well here too.. small / medium flakes and its sticking to an area i cleared at 10am as a marker:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Rapid rise in temperatures in Galway City in the last hour. O.9C recorded at 9AM, now 5.4C
    Overnight low -4.2C

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Fionagus wrote: »
    Rapid rise in temperatures in Galway City in the last hour. O.9C recorded at 9AM, now 5.4C
    Overnight low -4.2C

Exactly the same here, up to 4.6c in a matter of an hour.

Still snowing here (25mins) smaller flakes but fairly steady:)

Edit: 10.46... Medium/Heavy snow ..large flakes

According to radar.. strongest shower of morning is to be here shortly... this is what its being snowing like now for 45mins
    d509e36c.jpg

The good snow showers has turned to sleet now im afraid.

Amazing how we can have a cold spell lasting for a few days or even a few weeks in some cases and only get a few snow showers, but the minute the atlantic breaks through theres precipation all the time , just think if we had the same amount of precipation coming from the north when there was cold weather , we would be a very snowy country indeed. It baffles me.

08/01/2011 11:00 0.4 °C 98 % 993.1 hPa 0.0 mm 2.3 km/h (1 Bft) SE 135 ° 0.1 °C 0.4 °C 20.3 km/h (4 Bft)
    08/01/2011 10:00 -2.3 °C 97 % 993.9 hPa 0.0 mm 0.0 km/h (0 Bft) W 270 ° -2.7 °C -2.3 °C 9.0 km/h (2 Bft)

Theres that jump in temp and DP that was happening further south an hour ago.... now we are in marginal snow territory.:confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Clear blue skies in Waterford City, Temp 3.7c DP 0.9c. Should stay clear for most of today i would imagine.

Live Temps taken from www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭davehey79

Has started snowing in Strokestown Co.Roscommon and its bucketing down

and its...... (waiting to see here as i type).......full on heavy......SNOW :D phew

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

there was snow last night which gave a dusting, but as i expected during daylight it has become a messy wintry mix:(

And within a matter of a few seconds it went from big fluffy flakes to sleety rain :( Ah well least got my fix:p

Amazing how we can have a cold spell lasting for a few days or even a few weeks in some cases and only get a few snow showers, but the minute the atlantic breaks through theres precipation all the time , just think if we had the same amount of precipation coming from the north when there was cold weather , we would be a very snowy country indeed. It baffles me.

that was the great thing about the greenland express back in December- we had the rare occurrence of precipitation intensity from the north and we didn't have to worry about it being modified by the atlantic due to just how cold the air was.
    if only we could transport the country up towards Norway. still if it was snowy all the time perhaps we wouldn't be as excited about seeing snow fall after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

that was the great thing about the greenland express back in December- we had the rare occurrence of precipitation intensity from the north and we didn't have to worry about it being modified by the atlantic due to just how cold the air was.
    if only we could transport the country up towards Norway. still if it was snowy all the time perhaps we wouldn't be as excited about seeing snow fall after a while.

It would be nicer down around the Canaries this time time of year :p

Saw a plane flying from Bergen in Norway to the Canaries yesterday - used an app on my phone...I'm with those Norwegians except I'm still stuck here :pac:

perhaps we wouldn't be as excited about seeing snow fall after a while.
    Yes I agree with everything except the above line :pac:

Min wrote: »
    It would be nicer down around the Canaries this time time of year :p

Saw a plane flying from Bergen in Norway to the Canaries yesterday - used an app on my phone...I'm with those Norwegians except I'm still stuck here :pac:

quiet you:p
    come the next snowfall event, perhaps we should swap locations:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

On the East coast it dumps down snow usually when there is artic air just like in November and before and during Christmas. :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    On the East coast it dumps down snow usually when there is artic air just like in November and before and during Christmas. :D:D:D

As in a bad spell of wether :P
    Keep on truckin' :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement