Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MoonDancer wrote: »
    What they need to do, is lower the fecking tax, hence cheaper drinks, so people buy more.
    tax is 23%

excise duty on stuff below 2.8% was halved a few years ago.

other that the 1994 excise rates apply for beers
    in real terms the excise duty has fallen by nearly half since then

It's the same tax paid in a pub or in a supermarket, the only difference is that VAT is charged on the price so in a pub VAT is more than excise duty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

It looks like this is finally here. The vintners have won the war, is it any surprise though?
    www.rte.ie/news/2015/0203/677588-alcohol/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

It looks like this is finally here. The vintners have won the war, is it any surprise though?
    More trips to Enniskillen for me, it seems ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

We have three pubs where I live; they are shabby, smell of smoke because they tolerate smoking inside and the toilets are Third-World.Clearly the VFI don't do quality control.In one, it's the local Chapter of Crimecall as clientele so I don't go there and the next uses local alleged musical talent for Sat night entertainment, that would outscream a cat so I avoid it on saturdays. the last, well, the staff are decent and you can actually converse, so It gets our custom.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

ban below-cost selling of alcohol products by introducing a minimum pricing unit

That's a curious segue. After all, the cost of producing alcohol itself is very low, so I'd imagine it would be possible to sell below the minimum and yet still make a profit.
    New rules on labelling will make it compulsory to include health warnings and advice, the amount of pure alcohol and calorie counts.

Ah, good, so now the discerning alcoholic won't have to work it out in their head (Which is cheaper - 750ml of 13% wine for €5, or 4 x 500ml cans of 6% cider for €5.50?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That sucks so so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Cannabis is still the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Time to book a booze cruise to Cherbourg to stock up. 3c per litre duty on wine over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

mikom wrote: »
    Cannabis is still the same price.

yeah a massive rip-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

RTE News - "To tackle alcohol abuse"
    Yeah right!! Pure protectism for pubs. As if it will get all those people flocking back to the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I think it is outrageous how blatantly discriminatory this measure is against those on lower incomes. Alcoholism among the rich is fine I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

taken directly from that rte article:
    Alcohol Action Ireland said the proposed bill would address the issue of alcohol abuse.

....what...?

IT WILL DO NOTHING OF THE SORT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Fcuking country is just a joke at this stage, public health me hole

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I don't like the sound of "far reaching measures" to tackle alcohol abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

is there a facebook page yet "No to minimum alcohol pricing"? Seems the Govt listens to large people anger when it suits them and an election is coming............

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/drinks-giant-diageo-to-fund-latest-anti-drinking-campaign-1.2088777
    A national campaign against “out-of-control” drinking spearheaded by Barnardos chief executive Fergus Finlay is to be funded by drinks giant Diageo.

You couldn't make this nonsense up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Does anybody actually sell below cost alcohol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Everyone whos not a pub supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Remember how we removed the groceries order and we all ended up with free food. Well this is the opposite so I'm predicting cans will cost a million euros

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I think it is outrageous how blatantly discriminatory this measure is against those on lower incomes. Alcoholism among the rich is fine I guess.

How do you make it more difficult for rich people to buy alcohol? Price is the only real mechanism Government can use really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I don't know, and it doesn't matter anyway. Pubs will never be able to compete with the off trade on price. They are a totally different product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

How do you make it more difficult for rich people to buy alcohol? Price is the only real mechanism Government can use really.

Price doesn't work. If it did we would hardly be buying any of the stuff. Contrary to what politicians and the media would have us believe, there is no such thing as cheap alcohol in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,356 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Wetherspoons loving this. Perfect timing to expand in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Anyone know what this minimum price will be? 75c a unit, €1 a unit? There's no way it could be more than that could it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I'm on a low income, and I like a drink, but I'm delighted with the minimum price being introduced.

I only drink in a pub, not at home like a weirdo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

Henlars67 wrote: »

I only drink in a pub, not at home like a weirdo.

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

I think it is outrageous that this is being introduced. I hope the market is flooded with cheap booze from the north and Europe.

Price doesn't work. If it did we would hardly be buying any of the stuff. Contrary to what politicians and the media would have us believe, there is no such thing as cheap alcohol in this country.

Of course price works.

If people have a few extra quid that they spend on beer or wine and suddenly the price is trebled for example, without question consumption will fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

6541 wrote: »
    I think it is outrageous that this is being introduced. I hope the market is flooded with cheap booze from the north and Europe.

Irish governments always try to look after their publican buddies.....

How many TD's own pubs or have family members who own pubs?

• Advertisement

Anyone know what this minimum price will be? 75c a unit, €1 a unit? There's no way it could be more than that could it?

Northern Ireland are introducing the same time as us (for probably obvious reasons), and I seen 50p a unit mentioned up there.

That would convert to about 70c.

But of course the government would bang on a little extra. Maybe 75/80c a unit at a guess

Advertisement