Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I go for a piss up with my mates in Dublin city once a month. Its a 60 euro taxi ride. So its a very expensive night. .
    Book a cheap hotel room

check what time the first bus home is , go to a night club ?

if they are mates, couldn't you crash out on one of their sofa's for the night ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Problem with pubs is the noise, very hard to find a place where you can have a conversation and it's not the crowds, it's the overloud music.

TONY DAY wrote: »
    If the Publicians were so concerned about the publics welfare why do they serve drink to known Alcoholics??? The only time i've seem someone refused drink in a pub is when there is a likelihood that the person might cause trouble. Not because the Bar man is concerned about his health!!!
    Time for the Publcians to wake up to reality and start dropping their prices.
    How many publicans sell beer with an alcohol content of 2.8% ?

How many sell soft drinks for less than the cost of alcoholic ones ?
    (ie. full pint , not including the ice)
    (also not including blackcurrant which is usually too weak)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Speaking for myself, I'm starting to think they are dead right!
    I will drink less, and I will not feel bad about it because I will tell myself that my health is better off.

Then I'll have a couple more quid and they'll be out of pocket.

Check, and mate, Shorthall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Big day for drinkers tomorrow!

Keep an eye on a report being published.

Not going to be good news for people who drink at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Anyone else notice when you go into an Irish pub and inquire about what they have on tap that most bartenders give it the "well have a look" which is fair enough I normally do but the worst part about it is in the Irish pub its when you ask how much a couple of those beers you have on tap actually cost? They either dont know or the cant believe your actually asking them how much a pint of some german beer they have on tap is compared to the usual heineken or carlsberg they have on tap!!!...Its like how dare you ask how much it costs look? either you order or get out as im to busy to give a **** about you looking for good value! Its an Irish pub your getting ripped off one way or the other so dont even ask!

An Irish Pub expects you to order drinks & just had over the money you have close to 20 or 50 euro if its over 3 drinks and they just give you the change.....but if you dare ask how much it will cost for 2 pints and a vodka and white pre ordering they give you a look to say "are you seriously asking me how much that will cost" and will in a mood walk over to the machine bang on the touch screen then normally snarl back the price with there back to you!

This happens a lot of the time!

It unbelievable...every pub should have the price clearly shown in front of every tap so people know what they are paying!....ITS THE LAW!

Ive always found this astonishing in Irish pubs!....thank god i stopped regularly going a long time ago & enjoy drinks with friends at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The pub trade might be dying but this thread sure as hell isn't:P Its like Lazarus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It unbelievable...every pub should have the price clearly shown in front of every tap so people know what they are paying!....ITS THE LAW!

There is a price list inside the door
    It follows a simple format and is easy to read

I've never seen prices in front of the taps

The distributors put big money into designing their taps and making them unique, they'd go mad to have a laminated paper card stuck on them

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

mikemac1 wrote: »

I've never seen prices in front of the taps

The distributors put big money into designing their taps and making them unique, they'd go mad to have a laminated paper card stuck on them

Most pubs dont have pricing and if they do they are hidden away behind a door somewhere.

All pricing should be IMO clearly shown above the bar or on a big screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The pub trade might be dying but this thread sure as hell isn't:P Its like Lazarus

;) Its like the recurring hangover, It just wont go away :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Saw a fancy new tap in a pub lately, for Bulmers i think. had a fancy little LCD screen displaying the latest Bulmers ad. That should have the price. And one should be on every tap in this day and age. And it would also allow for the mandatory pricing-up-the-later-it-gets malarky that's happening in some clubs...

Most pubs dont have pricing and if they do they are hidden away behind a door somewhere.

All pricing should be IMO clearly shown above the bar or on a big screen.

If you knew the price beforehand you probably wouldn't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

.every pub should have the price clearly shown in front of every tap so people know what they are paying!....ITS THE LAW!
    Its not the law unfortunately. I dunno why the authorities treat alcohol so differently. Most other typical retail outlets are obliged to clearly show prices. They also get away with not showing ingredients and nutritional information on bottles/cans that any other drink must show. So the likes of bulmers can easily hide the fact that the bulk of their drink is water & sugar and not apple or pear juice like their borderline illegal ads might have you believe.
    The legally required list is very limited & basic. e.g. they are only obliged to show a single stout, and just 1 single lager.

Beginning to wonder if the vintners are behind this or the cabinet itself to make up the short(f)all in drink revenue from people avoiding the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

As far as I can gather it isnt a tax, just a minimum price?

Yes but surely a higher price will generate a higher tax take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

not if people spend less in the pub because of the higher price ;)

Only the VAT, the retailer would still pocket 77% of the increase.

http://taxpolicy.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/09.19b.pdf Excise duty on beer hasn't changed since Jan 1994 - apart from a 50% reduction in 2008 beer /cider below 2.8%.

http://www.finfacts.ie/Private/bestprice/guinnessindex.htm
    Back in 1994 a pint cost €2.34 in August in the Dail Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 33,258 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If people can afford to drink in pubs on a freqent enough basis, yes theoretically, but currect evridence suggests otherwise.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

In Tesco the other day

Twenty longneck Carlsberg for twelve euro

It's a deal, it's a steal.
    It's never been cheaper

Tbh, I was half expecting the local publican to be in Tesco and stocking up

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    If people can afford to drink in pubs on a freqent enough basis, yes theoretically, but currect evridence suggests otherwise.

The higher price will only really hit people that drink at home.
    Pub drinkers won't be effected.
    mikemac1 wrote:
    Tbh, I was half expecting the local publican to be in Tesco and stocking up
    Many of them are. And are not passing the saving on to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

3 of us were in a country pub one Sunday afternoon lately and were charged €7.50 for 3 x small bottles of Coke

Coca Cola used to have a promotion that if you buy three drinks from the publican you get a coke [or something from their range] free

Twas a good deal

Not sure was it in the cities, it was in Tipp anyway where there just has to be a driver, no taxis and very limited hackney service
    A gang of ye goes out there will always be a driver.

Bring the promotion back I say

It cost Coca Cola very little, just some free stock and got huge publicity

That was the designated driver campaign.
    It was a very good idea, and look who was behind it, Coca Cola.
    Not the publicans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Oh look, let's see how we can get more money out of people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Coca Cola used to have a promotion that if you buy three drinks from the publican you get a coke [or something from their range] free

Twas a good deal

Not sure was it in the cities, it was in Tipp anyway where there just has to be a driver, no taxis and very limited hackney service
    A gang of ye goes out there will always be a driver.

Bring the promotion back I say

It cost Coca Cola very little, just some free stock and got huge publicity

It was their free soft drink for the designated driver program.

They will be doing it again next December(Christmas season).

I drink spirits. An awful lot of pubs in Dublin dont charge me for a dash of coke or seven up. Saves a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

What they need to do, is lower the fecking tax, hence cheaper drinks, so people buy more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Let the market sort it out tbh... The pubs that are sh*t or charge too much can close, and the ones that remain will get more custom as a result. There'll always be a demand for pubs and clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,258 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The higher price will only really hit people that drink at home.
    Pub drinkers won't be effected.

I assumed he was talking about the prices in pubs? And increase in alcohol tax will mean a bigger increase in puc prcies than in off-licence and supermarket sales.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I assumed he was talking about the prices in pubs? And increase in alcohol tax will mean a bigger increase in puc prcies than in off-licence and supermarket sales.

It's not an increase in alcohol tax, it's a minimum pricing plan whereby alcohol is charged by the unit. Meaning prices in off licenses and supermarkets will rise, whereas the price charged in a pub, would already be well in excess of what the mandatory price will be.

It's for our own good ofcourse.

Advertisement