Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Uh oh...where have Saturday and Sunday gone?!! Awh man!! :(:(

Ugh – look I don’t have the energy right now to recreate the masterpiece illustrating the return to running at the weekend…maybe later for my own memory but for now:-

Saturday 26 January (14-15 mile LSR)
    Back felt good. Got up. Ran to Marlay for laps in case I needed to quit. Felt strong in the legs and lungs. A windy hilly 15 miles. Absolutely delighted to get it done.
    15 @ 7:56

Sunday 27 January (Raheny 5)
    Training run. Faster than planned but couldn’t help it. Felt ridiculously good throughout. No warm-up, no warm-down; just a bite from Digdigs apple and raspberry muffin as I headed towards the startline of my fun run. Passed people for the entire 5 miles. No one passed me. Had an absolute ball. Loved the goodie bag. Worth the drive. :)
    5 @ 7:xx – 37:04 on the chip

Wednesday 30 January (6 miles recovery)
    AM
    Snooze – giving the back a break of course ;)
    PM
    A windy but uneventful late run home from work. Legs felt grand as I just sat back anytime I got a bad gust of wind or a stinky incline. Easy breezy happy days.
    6 @ 8:51

Thursday 31 January (Rest)
    Rest
    Altered the schedule slightly because of other work-related commitments.

Friday 1 February (LSR – 16-18 miles – pace: whatev!)
    AM
    5:15am – alarm – snooze. 5:17am – alarm – up. 5:18am –light on – Digdig blinded out of the leaba. 5:30am – out the door. A lovely morning for a good run albeit a little early.. In fact it was still the middle of the night in normal person speak. Nothing too exciting to report. We took it nice and comfortably. The first 10 miles were the same as my route on Tuesday and thank god the experiences were at opposite ends of the scale. Today was loverly. Ran by the office and headed back out of town with Digs. We went our separate ways at Bushy Park at the 12.85 mile mark where we were at an average pace of 8:35. I turned and headed back to town via Milltown and a bit of DCM route. Brought the average pace down to 8:29 and then threw in 2 final faster flat miles for my sins; 7:28 and 7:07 respectively. Very happy with that altogether.
    18.15 @ 8:19

Legs have felt good all day. Didn’t fall asleep at my desk or fall down the stairs backwards at any stage so that can only be a good thing!

Will do a few recovery miles in the morning before heading off to Austria for a week to hit the slopes. Am really looking forward to the break but a little apprehensive in a taper-madness sort of way! I’ll be the safety queen on skis for the week and will have my UBER-cautious hat on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara wrote: »

Will do a few recovery miles in the morning before heading off to Austria for a week to hit the slopes. Am really looking forward to the break but a little apprehensive in a taper-madness sort of way! I’ll be the safety queen on skis for the week and will have my UBER-cautious hat on!

Well, hopefully you won't fall as often as when you're running ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

claralara wrote:
    Friday 1 February (LSR – 16-18 miles – pace: whatev!)
    AM
    5:15am – alarm – snooze. 5:17am – alarm – up. 5:18am –light on – Digdig blinded out of the leaba. 5:30am – out the door. A lovely morning for a good run albeit a little early.. In fact it was still the middle of the night in normal person speak

Jasis that is some dedication! !! I was only turning over for the second half of my sleep at that hour!! :D Fair play to ye!!! Enjoy the holidays you two!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Ugh – look I don’t have the energy right now to recreate the masterpiece illustrating the return to running at the weekend…maybe later for my own memory but for now:-

Saturday 26 January (14-15 mile LSR)
    Back felt good. Got up. Ran to Marlay for laps in case I needed to quit. Felt strong in the legs and lungs. A windy hilly 15 miles. Absolutely delighted to get it done.
    15 @ 7:56

Sunday 27 January (Raheny 5)
    Training run. Faster than planned but couldn’t help it. Felt ridiculously good throughout. No warm-up, no warm-down; just a bite from Digdigs apple and raspberry muffin as I headed towards the startline of my fun run. Passed people for the entire 5 miles. No one passed me. Had an absolute ball. Loved the goodie bag. Worth the drive. :)
    5 @ 7:xx – 37:04 on the chip

Good to see you out running last Sunday after your back problem, not sure if you spotted me on the coast road, but I gave you a wave from the sidelines. Would have expected to see you further up the field but now I know why after reading about your injury.

blockic wrote: »
    Jasis that is some dedication! !! I was only turning over for the second half of my sleep at that hour!! :D Fair play to ye!!! Enjoy the holidays you two!

The bloody dedication better start paying off...it's not looking so hot right now!! Holiday was sauvage - cheers! Delighted to be back though of course...:rolleyes:
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Good to see you out running last Sunday after your back problem, not sure if you spotted me on the coast road, but I gave you a wave from the sidelines. Would have expected to see you further up the field but now I know why after reading about your injury.

I did indeed spot you. But as I was staring, I thought you might not recognise me so I redirected my creepy gaze just as you did – unfortunate timing! I’m so glad the back problem has passed – it’s such a debilitating pain in the rear as you well know. Make sure to take it easy yourself now!

Saturday 2 February
    6 @ 8:53
    Easy pre-travel run – no real recollection.

We headed off to Zell in Austria for an apprehensive safety-queen week on the slopes. Runs for the week were done on a perfect track around the lake – conditions varied from near-perfect to 2/3 inches of fresh snow and/or ice underfoot, from running in darkness to being blinded by the glare and from very enjoyable mild conditions to mild frostbite!

Sunday 3 February
    3 @ 8:53
    A pre-breakfast snowy run IIRC… I don’t think I enjoyed this too much. I do think I was very hungover if not a little drunk!

Apart from Sunday, I think all of the runs while we were away were easy, comfortable and generally enjoyable!

10 weeks to Boston – a ski-slash-recovery week:

Monday 4 February
    5 @ 8:53

Tuesday 5 February
    4.1 @ 8:28

Wednesday 6 February
    Sneaky AM ;)
    3.1 @ no idea - VERY handy but no Garmin evidence
    Bold PM ;)
    7 @ 8:40

Thursday 7 February
    Rest (from running)

Friday 8 February
    Rest (from running)

Saturday 9 February
    3 @ no idea - VERY handy but no Garmin evidence. Just wanted to loosen the legs out after the long day travelling and see if they’d be in any shape for the planned LSR 14 hours later.

Sunday 10 February
    I had been a bit worried about this after the flight on Saturday. I went to bed feeling quite feverish, fluey and a little chesty. Having woken up in buckets of sweat a number of times during the night, I was a little fearful I would be dehydrated. In any event, when I didn’t feel any worse on Sunday morning, I got up and tried to get my head in the game. Took a couple of shots of some manky isotonic drink for an hydration quick-fix but was soon to be discovered, it didn’t work! Myself, Digs and PaulieC hooked up with the pot of Stews for this. The others were out for 14 Donadea-focused miles (with the latter 7 to be at 7:40 pace). Our resident sadist had us down for 18 miles (or as far as we could go). To make what felt like a very long story short… it was an awful run. I got a stitch about 3 miles in which I battled with for the duration. Mixture of dehydration, talking and letting the breathing get out snyc before the muscles had warmed up and running the downhills at the beginning of the run I suspect... I know it sounds strange but I feel like I’m more prone to stitches when running downhill…this is something I’ll have to think about with regard to Boston. Anyway, the tummy and surrounding muscles were hurting like hell although the legs felt strong. I just wanted it to be over and must apologise again for being such ho-rren-dous company! Actually I’ll amend my point about the legs feeling strong to say that ‘legs felt strong up to somewhere between 11-12 miles”. After that I was KAPUTT! Brekkie went down a treat and brought me back from misery to life so many thanks for that MS! :) There was every chance that this could have been an out-and-out disaster (as opposed to the mild disaster that it was) so despite how tough I found it, it wasn’t worrying; just disheartening. At the time, I never wanted to eat, sleep, drink, walk, talk or run again. I felt that dying from starvation and frost-bite would have been more enjoyable than the previous couple of hours. In hindsight, I can from the PMA side of my brain, that it was character building.
    17.1 @ 8:00 (7 @ 8:20 - 7 @ 7:40 - 3.1 @ 8:00)

39.3 miles for the R&R week (!); the last 15 miles of which were a law unto themselves. That is all!

I’ve just realised that I ran the exact number of miles this week (over 7 days) that I did in Connemara last year (in under 5 hours 50 minutes) and the latter felt like a walk in the part compared to the former… Strange how things can go!!

9 weeks to Boston – a “coach is clearly on the rampage” week!: ;)

Monday 11 February 5/6 Recovery – as slow as possible
    I didn’t need to be told twice how to run this one. The legs were tired and I still wasn’t feeling 100% so I just sat back into it and focused on getting home from work to catch the last 30 minutes of the Liverpool West Brom match…NOT!! It’s strange how the stitch pain lingers – it must be a muscle strain of some sort.
    6 @ 8:59

Tuesday 12 February Club Session OR 5 mile tempo run @ 7-7:15
    AM
    20 minutes foam rolling / 5 minutes stretching

LUNCH
    Had to ask for an alternative as knew I wouldn’t make club this evening. Headed out at lunchtime for this and it pretty much blew. Not in the way Sunday’s run blew. On a whole nother level! I felt like I was racing and I felt really mentally weak. Route was a pain with roads, traffic, pedestrians etc. Got to 2 mile at 6:58 average pace and had to stop at a road – I nearly gave up altogether at that point. Took a few moments to regroup and decided to try do each mile at a time and that each one covered would be a bonus. At that stage I thought if I could do 4, I’d call it a day – bearing in mind that coach had said re being completely recovered from Sunday which I was not. Got to 3 miles @ 7:00 average. Decided it’d be no harm to cool the jets and at 4 miles, the average pace had dropped to 7:04. And then I obviously found something for the last mile and finished up with 5 miles at an overall average of 7:02. I felt bloody fantastic afterwards and can’t really remember it hurting now, but I have to be honest and say that it did. As I said – a mixture of mental agony, heavy breathing and tired legs. I don’t know whether I could have gone any faster! Going to hit the foam roller again tonight and am considering booking a massage for tomorrow evening… there better be more positive signs of life in this body asap!
    5 @ 7:02

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Your are doing those paces while not feeling 100% plus beating yourself up about them - crazy person! I think you're allowed have one or two under par performances a year. ;)
    Fantastic running! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

jcsmum wrote: »
    Your are doing those paces while not feeling 100% plus beating yourself up about them - crazy person!

At last a voice of reason.

• Advertisement

plus beating yourself up

Eh, that's my job... Why do you think I bought the net of oranges for? ;)

Your are doing those paces while not feeling 100% plus beating yourself up about them - crazy person! I think you're allowed have one or two under par performances a year. ;)
    Fantastic running!

I think I saw you ignoring me this morning…at about 7:25 around the shops at Marlay? You would have been heading home – I was only on my way out?

I’m not beating myself up over the runs of the last few days as such. I’m just not feeling the love and I don’t like that. I also have issues with this head cold as I DO NOT DO being sick. I’m not a bad patient; in fact, if you were to ask the Master of Manflu was I even mildly under the weather this week, he’d probably sneeze and look for a foot rub himself.. I just hate having a muzzy head and not feeling my usual wonderful happy and positive self around the clock ;)

Wednesday 13 February (10 @ 8:00 – faster if desired)
    10 slog-fest miles into work this morning. Lovely weather for shooting ducks as a friend of mine would say! Felt like I was racing along at the same pace as yesterday for the first 5 miles which were nice and undulating. Please note that I don’t use the word ‘nice’ in the pleasant sense. It took me 3-4 miles to get down to the planned pace from a first mile of 8:21 so once I did, it was just a matter of holding on. It got easier from then (not least because the latter half of the journey consisted of 2 mostly downhill miles and 3 flat miles – although the roads and paths were good and busy for this part which made me feel I was running like pacman!) The stitch reared its ugly head which was where a fair bit of my displeasure came from – I think it was just the remnants of the weekend though as opposed to a brand new one – the way it feels, I expect to have a big stinking bruise around my ribs/upper abs but I don’t.
    10.1 @ 7:56… Any faster? Desired it was not!

Neither of my regulars available for a sports massage over next couple of days so I absolutely have to get the foam roller out. Need to figure out how to massage the muscles between my front and back ribs too. Urgh. Ouch. Urgh.

TRR wrote: »

At last a voice of reason.

Yes. At last.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Front and back ribs? You have two sets of rips? :pac:

I think I saw you ignoring me this morning…at about 7:25 around the shops at Marlay? You would have been heading home – I was only on my way out?

Nope, not me. :cool:

Cold hasn’t cleared and legs pretty tired….looks like my ninja assassin on Donadea tomorrow won’t happen after all… :rolleyes: ;):D

Cold hasn’t cleared and legs pretty tired….looks like my ninja assassin on Donadea tomorrow won’t happen after all… :rolleyes: ;):D

We'll still get the shirts ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    We'll still get the shirts ;)

Has she made the cakes she promised me?

So, I was up at Farmleigh yesterday and I kept calling you but you kept ignoring me :confused:

Long time noooo update... I had to take a log break because I couldn’t face the negativity of logging all of the terrible runs I was having and how utterly unenthused with running I was. The last time I logged I was in the throes of the most physically and mentally tough week of training that I’d had in a long long time. So long I can’t even remember. I managed to get through it, and I did rake in a 10K PB in the process so I shan’t complain or dwell (overly!) on it.

I’ve decided that instead of boring you with a narrative on each run, I’m simply going to grade them 1-10 on the following scale (not the usual one used for coach but along similar lines)… Roughly, it goes as follows:-
    1 - I cannot wait for Boston. I feel awesome. I’m running awesome and I’m going to nail any target anyone dares set me;
    2 – I cannot wait for Boston. I feel pretty good. I could be bringing a very nice surprise result home;
    3 – If I keep training and feeling like this, I might hit that initial 3:04:59 target I was considering setting myself;
    4 – If I keep training and feeling like this I should run a PB;
    5 – If I keep training and feeling like this I’ll do my best to run Boston alongside Digs and make sure to pip him with the windmill in the finishing straight;
    6 – Digdig is going to beat me;
    7 – I’m going to Boston to enjoy a 3:45 marathon and a holiday;
    8 – I’m going to Boston to struggle a 4 hour marathon;
    9 – I really dislike running and I’m illegally transferring my Boston entry and spending the money on a handbag in Macy’s; and
    10 –I feel awful before, during and after a run. Anyone who says running is ‘awesome’ should not stand within arm’s reach of my fist. I am never ever ever running again.

Unfortunately the majority of the following update ranges in the 6-10 range. The dose I had hit me like a tonne of bricks and hung around far longer than I was happy to share my energy with!

Thursday 14 February (6 @ 8/8:30)
    5.3 @ 9:02
    Grade 6
    Couldn't face the planned run so ran straight home from work at recovery pace instead. Was conscious of a tough weekend ahead and didn't want a complete blowout before it. A wrecked and unhappy run.

Friday 15 February (4/5 recovery with strides)
    3.5 @ 8:45
    Grade 6
    A very handy early recovery with a handful of strides thrown in.

Saturday 16 February (10K race - 9/10 miles total incl w/u & w/d)
    Rathcoffey 10k - 41:44
    I'm not going to get into the ins and outs of the race in detail at this stage. The legs had a little more in them but the lungs were just in bits with the lady sniffles. I led from 2k to 4k. I was in second position from 4k to 9.8k... and then I got pipped in the finishing straight. I was fooked and literally walked over the finish line. I was racing for a position not a time as I knew the PB I wanted to set was not an option. Unfortunately, I got complacent in my second place, eased off too much and didn't have the sprint finish that the other girl pulled out. It was a 45 second PB since Dunshaughlin last summer but it was bittersweet as I felt sh*te and I knew that I would have had a better time on me on a different day/without the cold. I was happy(ish) but couldn't completely wipe the little disappointment from my mind. After speaking to some very wise people (Diggy, TRR, MS, RQ...) I managed to cop on and enjoy the result. I wasn't in the shape I wanted/needed to be on the day and I was too hard on myself with my silly uncompromising standards!
    It was a great race (though I felt the headwind was unrelenting in my knackered state!) and it was for a great cause (Console Suicide Awareness). I'll defo run it again. Course was good and the post-race spread was A1!
    Oh - there was a bit of a downer moment when I stood up to collect my 3rd place trophy and they called another girl's name out... There had been an error in registration and I was registered as a bloke! I told them I'd be back to win the men's race next year.. perhaps a little over-enthusiastic of me :-/
    2 mile w/u - very easy with strides
    6.2 @ 6:44
    1.2 mile w/d very very easy

Grade 6

Sunday 17 February (2 hours easy)
    13.8 @ 8:41
    Grade 10 - nuff said... 2 horrendous hours and 6 gruelling seconds. Wanted to turn around and crawl home after a mile. Each step was a physical and mental battle. Didn't look at the Garmin once - was literally counting the seconds to get me to 2 hours. It was too fast but I genuinley felt like I wasn't even lifting my feet. Bleurgh bleurgh bleurgh!

It gave me over 50 miles for (as I already said) the worst week's training in a long time! Character building is how a polite person would put. My keyboard is so offended by how I would put it that I can't even write it!

8 weeks to go - starting to panic...8 weeks isn't long enough to do anything worthwhile is it?!

Monday 18 February (6 recovery)
    6.3 @ 8:52
    Grade 5
    Very handy recovery sans Garmin - Digger's retarded pacing was probably a little fast but it felt ok.

Tuesday 19 February (10 @ 8/8:30)
    10.3 @ 8:07
    Grade 5
    Was absolutely knackered before heading out for this and was dreading it. Hauled a*s out the door committing to give it my best shot and not to be annoyed if I couldn't hit it. First few miles were sucky but I started to warm up and continued to feel stronger and stronger as the miles ticked by. Upped the pace for the last few miles despite being a little apprehensive about doing so. Was glad I did though as the body held up and it was a good confidence booster. First sign of life getting a bit of life back into the body thank god!

Wednesday 20 February (6 recovery)
    6 @ 8:55
    Grade 9
    1 step forward, 10 steps back... Felt sh*te. Horrible run. Just wanted to be on my own. It couldn't have ended soon enough!

Thursday 21 February (1 mile w/u, 5 @ 7:15, 1 mile w/d)
    1 @ 8:38, 3 @ 7:06 , 1.6 @ 8:29
    Grade 7
    Cut the 5 middle miles to 3 as we were stuck for time. There was also a bit of common sense in consideration of the impending LSR on Saturday. Whilst I got through the faster miles, I wasn't loving them and I was concerned at the thoughts of running marathon distance at that pace. I could not even bring myself to believe that I had run Berlin at a similar pace and that it wasn't all an optimistic dream!

Friday 22 February (4/5 recovery)
    4.1 @ 8:57
    Grade 6
    A very handy early recovery. Breathing felt ok-ish and mind started think a little more positively.

Saturday 23 February (20 mile LSR @ comfortable pace)
    20 @ 8:22
    Despite the fact, I was guaranteed a good 2 hours 45 minutes with the wonderful Digdig, I was absolutely DREADING this run... I went out just planning to get through each mile at a time. With a general plan in mind, we headed from the house up towards Marlay. We decided to go in for a few undulating miles before continuing on with an amended version of the original plan. After a couple of laps, we discarded the plan altogether and decided to stay in the park. We ran 7 busy and interesting death defying laps altogether (what between the aule wans, the tots who've just discovered what purpose their legs serve, the kids who've decided they're too cool for stabilisers on their bikes, wild animals on extendable leads... etc!!) and then we headed home. The last mile was uphill and a good test for the legs. Thankfully the lungs mostly behaved and although the legs were heavy and fatigued finishing they weren't in absolute bits. Finally caught a glimpse of that mojo I'd so sorely lost!
    Grade 5

Sunday 24 February (4 miles recovery)
    5 @ 8:46
    A grand aule recovery to try undo the damage of the excesses of Saturday night's 3 courses and copious amount of vino tinto AND Sunday morning's gluttonous brunch with the girls (which for some reason didn't stop with the initial feed but continued on into an afternoon of coffee and cake..oops!)
    Felt good and handy. Was able to chat apart from the frostbite in the face towards the end. CL:1; Lady Sniffles:0!
    Grade 4/5

Just over 57 miles for the week. Feeling such a lot better physically and a good bit better mentally. Still worried about how quickly Boston is approaching and I suspect I'll be reassessing my goal drastically from what I would have hoped for in the immediate aftermath of Berlin. A PB would be a great result at this exact moment in time.

Only 7 weeks to go now...I find that mildly terrifying!!

• Advertisement

holy **** balls. I opened this up and decided I'd come back and read it later tonight when I have freed up 5 hours or so. Does your keyboard have any keys left on it? serious tap-tapping. At least you didn't manage to mess it up and delete it like an ejit ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I've had a few of those weeks myself, but all the training while feeling crap will come back and pay dividends when it all clicks together. At least that's what I keep telling myself :rolleyes:

Here, fook you and your grade 5/6..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Fair play for digging in and getting through the last couple of weeks dealing with the sniffles! You know the mojo and performance is in there CL, all you have to do is find it!! I have every confidence in ya that you will!! 7 weeks, loads of time!!

*just please please beat digger:)

7 weeks is more than enough time to get into shape to run a pb ......... also plenty of time for one (ahem digger) to fcuk it up :)

TRR wrote: »
    7 weeks is more than enough time to get into shape to run a pb ......... also plenty of time for one (ahem digger) to fcuk it up :)

In fairness, he hasn't gone a la carte in a few weeks and is coping quite well with the set menu at the minute. We should save our a*s kicking words for his next gem - a fartlek progression LS medium R with hills and sprints on the 10th of April!

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Here, fook you and your grade 5/6..... :pac:

Wilkommen Herr Fraulein!! ;)

All your post proves is that you are human and not a machine! ;) It's a tiny blip in an otherwise amazing year or so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Screw all this pace talk! CL, with less than 7 weeks to go we have more important issues to deal with....like....have you given any consideration to your stunning running race day apparel yet? To paraphrase Coco Chanel, they'll never remember your finishing time...but they'll remember what you were wearing when you finished. ;);)

• Advertisement

In fairness, he hasn't gone a la carte in a few weeks and is coping quite well with the set menu at the minute. We should save our a*s kicking words for his next gem - a fartlek progression LS medium R with hills and sprints on the 10th of April!

There'll be a bit of XC in there too but I'll have a week to recover before Boston so all will be fine ;)

Advertisement