Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

blockic wrote: »
    I was the same for the first couple of episodes, but once it gets going...wow! Some show!! Season 4 is epic! :)

Everyone kept telling me that but he just kept getting on my nerves. I just wanted to kick the tv:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

But *nothing* happens in MadMen, they smoke and faff about in an office trying to be styish - so what is all the fuss about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Quick update on training…. Will revert in relation to the important box set discussions this evening!

Thursday 27 December
    50 mins Turbo
    3 X strength circuit (left out the plank again)
    10 minute fling with the foam roller

Friday 28 December

I was at a wedding and as the other ladies headed off to the spa, I headed to the gym with great plans of working up a sweat and doing my strength work. I lasted a whole 23 minutes on the cross trainer before deciding I was being a dope! So I called it quits and went for a splash in the outdoor Jacuzzi, followed by 45 minutes of sauna and steam rooming. It was a far more enjoyable way of working up a sweat! The dance floor fairly took it out of me for the remainder of the night so I wasn’t too concerned about having some down time.

Saturday 29 December

I really wanted to run. The dance floor antics at the wedding were a big test on the foot and when it felt ok the following morning, I allowed myself (for the first time since the injury) to think about going for a run. I got pretty excited. However a quick exchange with the man in charge, who pointed out that a run may not be the best idea what with post-wedding dehydration and post-dancing tenderness, led to the sensible decision to abstain being made.
    40 mins Turbo – this was supposed to be ‘recovery pace’ but I was feeling pumped so I pushed the effort a bit more than planned.
    2 X strength circuit (including rotating plank rep)

Sunday 30 December

Soooo...I reneged on my declaration that 2012’s running was done and dusted. And after 29 days of physio exercises, foam rolling, cycling in the kitchen, tears, complaints, agitation, panic, anger, more tears and eating and drowning my sorrows, I finally got out for a very tentative run. Just in time too – the Manager and the Coach and their respective patiences were beginning to wear thin!! I was very nervous. My form and gait seemed very awkward. The underside of my right ankle was a little tender and achy; but it wasn’t strained or sore as such. It was a very sensible 2 miles @ 9:06 and it was as positive as it could have been. Fitness seemed grand but at that pace it should have been. There were no adverse effects afterwards and I started to think I might actually run a marathon some day ;)
    5 mins Turbo (w/u)
    5 mins foam rolling
    2 miles @ 9:06
    5 mins stretching

AWESOME!

Testing the foot on Sunday led perfectly into getting back into the swings of things on Monday – 15 weeks to Boston. The first 2 weeks will be a gradual return. A strict slow build up of time on the feet. Prescribed running will be for a period of time (minutes!) and not distance or pace. My plan is to do 60 minutes activity in total every day i.e. where a run is 20 minutes, 40 minutes will be spent on the turbo. As well as those 60 minutes, I’ll be spending a further 20-30 minutes on the additional fundamentals i.e. physio strength exercises, foam rolling and stretching. I think I’ll have to do the additionals on alternative days because there really isn’t enough time in the day to get it all done. Unless I decide to pack in the job and go pro! ;)

Obviously, the important update will always be the prescribed run and how that goes!

15 weeks to Boston.

Day 1/105
    Monday 31 December (20 minutes easy)
    2 X strength circuit (included the rotating plank rep but have since decided the foot isn’t quite strong enough for it yet)
    10 mins Turbo (w/u)
    2.35 miles @ 8:41 –right foot was less achy and tender than it had been on the first run. My form and gait felt a lot more fluid and comfortable. Fitness wise – the lungs etc seemed ok. I didn’t look at the Garmin at all; just hit start, changed the screen to the time, ran for 10 minutes and ran back. Was nice to see the pace closer to what recovery should be now and not 6 months ago.
    30 mins Turbo (w/d)

Day 2/105
    Tuesday 1 January (Rest)
    What new year’s resolutions?!! All good nutrition intentions went out the window as the day was spent on the couch craving and eating every ounce of hangover food imaginable. New years day really isn’t the day for clean living… The only remotely positive/healthy living thing we did was to get out of bed and go to the park to watch the Tom Brennan 5k. There were some great races, some disappointing races and some downright embarrassing ones (you know you are Director!;)) – I have no doubt however that the stars will realign soon enough and everyone will back in better shape by the end of the month. I had already called it quits by the time we were leaving the park so a buckies muffin and warming coffee were much welcomed! I did manage to stay away from the wine though – are there any brownie points for that?!

Day 3/105
    Wednesday 2 January (25 minutes easy)
    AM

3 X strength circuit (excl plank)
    10 mins Turbo (w/u)
    3.1 miles @ 8:23 – the foot and ankle felt a heap better again. There was a slight tension on the underside of the right foot but running wasn’t sore or strained – it felt more like a good stretch. I got a bit of a stitch but I suspect that was dehydration more than anything. Was surprised at the pace (wasn’t Garmin watching during the run) and think it may have been a little fast for the moment. Maybe I should watch the Garmin to keep manners on me.
    10 mins foam rolling

PM

40 mins Turbo
    10 mins stretching

I’m not going to get into a mahoosive round up of 2012 because anyone who dare/cares has been bored to death from all of the blabbering and reporting on this log over the past 12 months… So just a little ‘me me me’ one ;) Suffice to say that I was amazed and delighted with my running achievements; which far outweighed anything I would have imagined myself capable of, as I smashed every PB I had ever written. Despite his being a royal pain on many occasions, Digs proved to be wonderful training partner (from running to supporting to talking training schedules and paces to death – as well as all of those other running anorak aspects that nobody else gets). I had a very successful and enjoyable introduction to the world of ultra-running, which will definitely be revisited in the future. I broke the elusive 20 minute barrier over 5k; and that 4 hour one for the marathon…and then some ;) while Meno and Digdig ate my dust! I made TRR question his sanity and why he thought taking us pair on as a project was ever a good idea?! There was a lot of pacing fun had – both on and off the course. Sportsworld brought me on a heap, while I met new club mates and made good friends to boot. I whooped TRR’s tush with my Longford Half placing (it was 1st you know …ahem ;)) which stands second in my list of racing highlights for 2012. I went on to further windmill TRR’s tush with my Berlin Marathon placing. How I ended up buying the celebratory pints is beyond me! All of the support from the ladies on my Friday piedays was much welcomed and helped me succeed in my quest to become fatpants of the year! XC welcomed me, ate me up and spat me out ;) Ultimately, I believe it was this (too much, too soon) that led to my injury. On the upside, I took some nice silver team medals and a realisation that with a slow and sensible introduction to spikes etc, I could perform pretty well and more consistently in the future. Good and hopefully lifelong acquaintances (friends and enemies ;)) were made. I totted up the mileage the other day and was seriously surprised to see I ran 1,957 miles for the year. Obviously I would have hit the 2,000 mark had I not been out of action but there’s always next year! Although the year ended on a low with the injury, I think I coped well and the 29 days off will stand to me. I suspect it was my body just begging for a bit of a break. And boy was the break enjoyed! In fact, if it holds up and serves me well for the next 11 months, I’ll consider taking December 2013 off too.

All in all though, Berlin was the racing highlight of the year for me. So much determination, time, effort, pain, fun, tears and laughs went into it and the result was more than I could have asked for. Here’s hoping I can do the memory proud in 2013.

102 days to Boston! Bring it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

CL, great to see you back clocking up a few miles and taking the sensible approach too. Keep it going and you'll be back better than ever in no time!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

claralara wrote: »
    while Meno and Digdig ate my dust!

:confused: I think we raced a good few times in 2012, but I can't remember once when you beat me ;). I am not very confident about next year though :o I am rapidly regretting encouraging you to really get into the running way back :p

Great year from you last year, sub 3 is well on for 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Hey O, nice round-up of the year there!

Quick question: When you are doing turbo sessions what are your paces/hr levels?
    I read somewhere that LT pace on a bike is different to LT pace when running and I haven't got a clue as to what effort I should be putting in for a decent cross-train day in order to improve running fitness or to improve bike speed/power.
    Any advice is welcomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great summary CL, enjoyed it!
    while Meno and Digdig ate my dust!
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Great year from you last year, sub 3 is well on for 2013.

The race to sub 3! Can't wait for this! (when meno gets all fixed up soon by resting! ;))

There should be an exclusive 2 person marathon shootout when ye are both fit as fiddles! Tickets available at Ticketmaster. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

belcarra wrote: »
    Hey O, nice round-up of the year there!

Quick question: When you are doing turbo sessions what are your paces/hr levels?
    I read somewhere that LT pace on a bike is different to LT pace when running and I haven't got a clue as to what effort I should be putting in for a decent cross-train day in order to improve running fitness or to improve bike speed/power.
    Any advice is welcomed!

What is turbo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Great summary CL, enjoyed it!

The race to sub 3! Can't wait for this! (when meno gets all fixed up soon by resting! ;))

There should be an exclusive 2 person marathon shootout when ye are both fit as fiddles! Tickets available at Ticketmaster. :)
    Given your rate of progression Blockic I think you can stick your name down on that line-up! You may have come to the party later but the other pair are dealing with injuries and by virtue of Rotterdam being a day before Boston...you'd be surprised how much can be accomplished in a few months!
    What is turbo?
    Turbos are treadmills for bikes. Just lock the rear axle into the machine and then place the resistance roller against the tyre and away you go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

:confused: I think we raced a good few times in 2012, but I can't remember once when you beat me .

Correct, it was twice.....Berlin and the BHAA 10k in The KClub.......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »

Cool by that definition I beat Haile in Berlin 2011. I'll take that as a Better scalp any day :D

Cool by that definition I beat Haile in Berlin 2011. I'll take that as a Better scalp any day :D

Minor difference - Haile didn't drop out because he was worried you'd beat him on the day.. ;)

Incorrect, it was thrice....let's not forget a very important one second in DCM.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Minor difference - Haile didn't drop out because he was worried you'd beat him on the day.. ;)

a game of psychological warfare was played and meno got his tush burnt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Everyone kept telling me that but he just kept getting on my nerves. I just wanted to kick the tv:D

Keep with it T, it's brilliant!

What a 2012 for you O! Incredible running - can't wait to see what you do in 2013.

What he said!

@ Belcarra – I’ve never really trained according to LT/VO2 Max/HR etc. I got physiology tests before I started training for Berlin and if I remember correctly, my max HR was 185 and the recovery zone was 145-155 (and then whatever in between). I did the odd recovery run by HR but apart from that I only reviewed the stats in hindsight, after a training run or a race. And even at that I didn’t pay much heed as I’m not well versed on the ‘brains’ side of running.

Regarding the turbo ‘training’, starting that was more to make sure I was getting some cardio in because I couldn’t use the cross trainer. I’ve just been going by feel. Working up a sweat depending on whatever is on the radio! Taking it easy if I’m feeling particularly tired and heavy-legged. My HRM is a bit dodgy but I’ve worn it a couple of times and done a bit of a makey-uppy interval session where I give it socks to get the HR up to 170 and ease off back to 155 , and repeat that a couple of times. I have done some higher resistance spins but was mostly focused on getting a good turnover on the legs. I used to go to spinning classes a couple of times a week before I started running, so I have an idea of effort and how I should be feeling. But it was more about getting off my bum, and not training to be any use on the bike. Once the kitchen floor has a few splashes of sweat on it by the time I’m finished, I’m generally happy… ;) Haha.

Once the kitchen floor has a few splashes of sweat on it by the time I’m finished, I’m generally happy… ;) Haha.

The kitchen table should be the same later... It is a certain person's birthday after all ;)

Thursday 3 January (30 minutes easy)
    My lower back was a little twingey on Wednesday night – I think I might have put something slightly out of place when I was doing the post Christmas house tidy/indoor tree removal – so I skipped the 6am landing gym session.
    I brought my gear into work for my first run home in yonks. To say I was delighted to be off the bus would be an understatement! Unfortunately, the distance from the office to the gaff is about 5.2 miles; and 30 minutes easy does not translate into a 5.2 mile run. Anyway, such a pain is my discipline, I ran for 30 minutes which got me about 3.6 miles out of town and then I stopped and walked the rest of the way home. I was so good, I even brought a warm jacket in my backpack in case I got cold walking! The foot was alright apart from feeling a little bit of pressure – I realised when I stopped that my laces were probably tied way too tight so I loosened them up for the walk and all was good. The back was ok while running. Fitness wise, and considering it was uphill and into the wind, I felt ok.

Run: 3.6 miles @ 8:45 (?)
    Walk: 1.6 miles (20-25 minutes)
    Turbo: 10 mins easy
    Foam Rolling: 10 mins
    Stretching: 15 mins

Back got a little twinge again a couple of hours later so before I went to bed I had already planned to skip another landing gym session. The plan is a rest day today (which means 60 minutes on the Turbo). We shall see how it plays out. May give it a miss and give the back a break. Plus I have bigger fish to fry today what with Digdig celebrating his 21at birthday and all! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

The kitchen table should be the same later... It is a certain person's birthday after all ;)

Pfft!..:eek:
    May give it a miss and give the back a break.

That back might not get a break after all!:pac:

That back might not get a break after all!:pac:

How do you think it happened in the first place....:D

Friday 4 January (Rest)
    I took the rest day…shame on me. An evening of red wine and fillet steaks with the Digdig was far more enticing.

Saturday 5 January (35 minutes easy)[/I]
    Turbo: 10 mins w/u
    Run: 5 @ 8:14
    Turbo: 15 mins c/d
    Rolling & Stretching: 20 mins

This ban on Garmin watching may come back to bite coach in the bum! Running by feel hasn’t been translating into the prescribed easy recovery paces. I took off, felt good and kept going. I had a route in mind so that I wouldn’t even have to watch the time. Unfortunately, along with my ankle injury, I appear to have lost some brain cells… I underestimated the route which came in at about 4.5 miles. When I checked the Garmin and realised I’d been on my feet for over 35 minutes, I decided to keep going to bring it up to 5 miles. I only went about 6 minutes over though so I don’t deserve too much of a slap on the wrist. I was pretty surprised at the pace and the sensible part of me knows it was too fast for this week.

Sunday 6 January (40-50 minutes easy)[/I]
    Turbo: 10 mins w/u
    Run: 6.4 @ 8:17
    Stretching: 25 mins

The intention was to take it very handy as I felt Saturday’s 5 miler was a bit too much for the foot though the rest of me was raring to go. As I’m not Garmin watching, I hit start and changed the screen to the time. I was hoping to run closer to 50 of the prescribed 40-50 minutes but I had no preconceptions. After what I knew was 2 miles I checked the pace and was kind of annoyed to see it at 8:11. I tried to ease back but failed – when I checked again 2 miles later. I had only brought it down to 8:12. The next 1.5 miles were uphill so I decided to ease off completely. At this stage I realised the lungs and the legs were raring to go. I managed to bring the average pace back down to 8:17 by the end, at which stage it felt like an absolute walk in the park. Good to see – the sooner the better the fatigue and stiffness of the foot wears off! Ran for 50 minutes to get me back to the estate, but remo forgot that its almost 2 minutes from the entrance to the gaff!

The foot: it’s not 100% but it’s getting there. The ankle joint is still a bit creaky and weak but I suppose that’s to be expected. The underside of the foot isn’t sore or strained but I can definitely still feel it (only when running). It’s almost like how a deep massage might feel if that makes sense…

I haven’t done the strength circuit in a few days as the back has been acting up. I’ll get back to it asap though. Hopefully another day will clear it up. It doesn’t bother me at all when running or on the Turbo – it’s just achy when sitting at the desk or twisting and turning.

I’ve been pretty disciplined with the rolling and stretching so hopefully that won’t lapse.

It was an ok return to the roads last week with just over 20 miles (over 5 days) banked. It’s desperate that I’m happy with that… 3 months ago it would have been a week off! Anyhoo, needs must and I’ll pray for continued improvement!

Monday 7 January  (35 minutes very easy)

I was up and out the door at 6:27am for this one. First early morning run in a long long time. I wore my Garmin so that I would stick to the ‘very easy’ prescribed pace but I needn’t have worried as the body was hell bent on a very very very easy pace! I was a bit creaky all over but I’ll put that down to the early start and the fact that Sunday’s run was barely 12 hours earlier. Can’t remember how the foot felt…hmmm. I suspect if it had felt wonderful then I’d remember that!

3.7 @ 9:29

Despite the slow pace and creaky body, it was great to get up and out for this run. I love a good start to the day and I had great intentions to do 25 mins on the Turbo and 20 mins of stretching and rolling when I got home from work. Unfortunately the body rebelled. From about 3pm onwards, all I wanted was to have my dinner and get into bed. By the time I got home I was cold and hungry so I dumped any thoughts of a session, got into me pj’s, ate a delicious dinner courtesy of the live-in chef, managed to watch TV for an hour and hit the hay at 9pm. I was nearly in tears I was so wrecked! Drama queen much?! ;) Anyway, although it was a bit of a broken sleep, the hours added up and I felt a zillion times better this morning – sometimes one has just gotta listen to the body and what it’s calling out for!

Tuesday 8 January (5 miles easy)
    Another bright and early 6:30 start this morning– need to continue to cement new habits.

AM
    20 mins Turbo
    10 mins stretching

Will be running home from work and making sure I run no faster than 8:45 – keeping the sensible and cautious cap on for another week. If I behave early in the week, it means I get out for a double digit run on Saturday :D

I’d like to do the strength circuit this evening but I’ll just wait and see how the bod feels after the run before committing.

sometimes one has just gotta listen to the body and what it’s calling out for!

Yes, and this body is calling out for you to do the fookin dishes from last night's dinner!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Between CL's log & Diggers, who needs TV for entertainment!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I thought women were good multitaskers!!! Could you not stretch (&wash dishes :)) while watching the tv?

TRR wrote: »
    I thought women were good multitaskers!!! Could you not stretch (&wash dishes :)) while watching the tv?

Yeh, I thought the reason she had small feet was so she could stand closer to the kitchen sink :D

Yeh, I thought the reason she had small feet was so she could stand closer to the kitchen sink :D

So many smart comments to make but I will rise above it!

O, was that you this morning on the Templeroan Road? That WAS me on the other side of the road - we're equally as snobby! :cool:

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »

So many smart comments to make but I will rise above it!

O, was that you this morning on the Templeroan Road? That WAS me on the other side of the road - we're equally as snobby! :cool:

Nope that wasn’t me – I opted for 20 minutes on the homemade gym on the landing this morning.  However, had it been me I would definitely have waved, run across the road, embraced you, chatted, offered to run with you, smiled etc etc… Speak for yourself snobby!! ;);)

I didn’t get to update my log yesterday evening as I was too busy cleaning the bombsite that I live in. If you think a man is messy, consider a man with man flu *cough cough sniffle sniffle I’m-dying-and-you-don’t-even-care*. In fairness, he did make a roast dinner. But to counter that act of kindness, he did use every single piece of cutlery, pot, pan, plate and bowl that we have in our tiny kitchen. Also, as well as marinating the chicken, he marinated the counters; and as well as seasoning his plate of dinner, he seasoned the entire kitchen table! Deep breath….

Tuesday 8 January
    PM
    5.2 @ 8:50
    Run home from work. :D:D This was a good run up until the last mile (suffice to say I think Ray has poisoned my water in advance of the big Sportsworld day out on Sunday! ;)) For the first time since I felt I could run again, I felt a noticeable improvement in the foot. It was still achy but nowhere near as offensive as it had been. Onwards and upwards!

Advertisement