Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Yeah, parents have a way of making us feel really good about ourselves. Mine told me I shouldn't be running so much at my age cause... "you're not getting any younger" :eek: :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Douglas sounds like a lot of fun. He just wanted to play, why wouldn't you play with him? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I think your dad was just calling you "healthy". ;)

Haha ever the optimist!

I'm pretty sure he was just saying what he saw... although at least he didn't call me a 'barrel' which was the label i got after my J1 summer during college... at least that time he had the cop-on to only call me a fattie in hindsight once i'd lost the doughnut weight!! ;)

Emer911 wrote: »
    Yeah, parents have a way of making us feel really good about ourselves. Mine told me I shouldn't be running so much at my age cause... "you're not getting any younger" :eek: :D

:D

Douglas sounds like a lot of fun. He just wanted to play, why wouldn't you play with him? :confused:

Fenton just.wanted to play too. Now he's sleeping with the fishies! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I'm just popping on here to warn you that tomorrow is Thursday:eek::eek::eek:
    Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to report back with a run that goes to plan and does not involve dogs, ice, traffic or any other obstacles:)
    Good Luck

Marthastew wrote: »
    I'm just popping on here to warn you that tomorrow is Thursday:eek::eek::eek:
    Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to report back with a run that goes to plan and does not involve dogs, ice, traffic or any other obstacles:)
    Good Luck

Haha thanks! Im actually due an update for the last week any minute now. And tomorrow sees me take on what I've coined "The Douglas Run"... looking forward to it already... :-/

An overdue update:- have limited internet access and am up to my eyes with everything work and training wise these days so log is being neglected. Have had a couple of tough weeks and am feeling heavy legged and tired now. I’m also continuing to eat like it’s going out of fashion but what the body asks for… ;)

I’m making a good bit of use out of my month pass for the yoga studios and have tried a couple of different classes. I just go for whatever suits me time and venue wise and depending on work times and training plans. It’s almost like a speed dating with yoga to see which one might tempt me back for more!

Friday 15 March (Recovery 4 miles)
    5 @ 8:46
    Legs ok…

Saturday 16 March (LSR 20 miles)
    Dear Lord… A tough aule run! Had gone to bed feeling flu-ey and with a dodgy tummy. Woke up in the middle of the night and decided I wouldn’t run until Sunday. Woke up on Saturday and couldn’t stop thinking about getting this done. Eventually dragged my sorry self out of bed and pretty much went straight out the door. The tum was still dodge and I couldn’t stomach breakfast so I went out feeling nauseous and not in the slightest bit hungry, with an empty stomach, a cereal bar, a gel and an emergency tenner in my belt. Never again! Not for this type of run in anyways. I had a pretty tough route planned and after some mind changing en route, it ended up being way tougher than originally planned. I basically headed from the house, to Bohernabreena, Ballinascorney, over the top of the mountain, Brittas (passed the gaff where I grew up – I’m a tomboy mountain girl at heart!!), Manor Kilbride, up towards the Sally Gap and finally hit the 10 mile mark at the firing range. I was at an average pace of 8:59 at the halfway mark. I wasn’t bothered with pace at all though thank god – it was all about the effort and giving the legs a hammering! Tried to take a gel at that point but could only manage a mouthful. Then I was off to retrace my steps. Although there were loads of rolling hills on the route, the first half was net uphill so I knew I’d pick up the pace a little on my return. Got really thirsty around 17 miles. Bumped into Digger as I hit 18 miles (who was out for a 4 mile recovery) and let him drag me home – although I think I managed a teeny few words. The overall average for the 20 miles was 8:40 in the end so I was happy enough given that the elevation had been 1,500+ft. I was as sick as a dog for the rest of the day with dehydration and lady sniffles. Ugh.
    20 @ 8:40
    Legs dead…

Sunday 17 March (Recovery 30 – 40 minutes)
    36 minutes, 37 seconds & 13 milliseconds
    4 @ 9:09
    Legs ok…

63.85 miles for the week :)

4 weeks to go!

Monday 18 March (Easy 40 – 60 minutes)
    52 minutes, 36 seconds & 53 milliseconds ;)
    6.55 @ 8:03
    Legs dead…

Tuesday 19 March (Easy 8-10 miles)
    10 @ 7:56
    Legs ok…
    60 minutes Yin Yoga – a good stretch-everything-out class 

Wednesday 20 March (Easy 8 miles)
    8 @ 8:13
    Legs dead…
    60 minutes Hot Yoga – not hot hot but good for the muscles I imagine. Took it nice and handy within my own extremely cushioned limits. Another enjoyable one.

Thursday 21 March (8-10 PMP*)
    What a day! The plan called for something that was going to be a struggle in ideal conditions, never mind in gale force winds and rain. Ideally I was hoping for a 1 mile w/u, 10 hard miles and a 1 mile w/d. Similar to the previous Thursday, I was planning the 'Douglas Route'. Either Douglas isn't allowed out in bad weather or else he got blown out to sea... I know what I'd rather!! ;) The commute route isn’t suitable for this sort of run nor is wearing the backpack; so I headed from the office out along the coast. Did 1 mile 'easy' in blustery wind. Hit the Merrion Gates as I was starting the hard miles and ran 4 miles into a wall of wind. I was planning 5 but it was just killer out there. My legs were absolutely dead at the turnaround. The zip at the front of my jacket had opened in the wind and it was flailing like superman's cape for the last quarter of a mile (it was red too! :)) Turned at 5 and planned to run as hard as I could the whole way back for a total of 9 hard miles. The wind at my back wasn't as useful as I would have liked as the legs were already sapped. The last mile and a half were in blustery swirling winds and the effort was akin to the last mile of a 10k race. Bleugh. The only thing that kept me going was that I knew the following day was a rest day! I wanted to vom when I finished - I suspect a mixture of the effort and having had a coffee and cereal bar far too close to a run of this kind were to blame for this. I could drink a coffee and eat a pizza on a recovery run but the tum does funny things when there’s a bit more stress than the body would like. Grabbed my bag in the office and did 2 very slow recovery miles back to the car for a total of 12 miles for the day.

*Also not sure what PMP is just yet... suppose I'll have to think about that and commit over the coming days...hmmm...

Friday 22 March (Rest)
    First rest day in a couple of weeks. Thank Crunchie!!
    75 minutes Gentle Yoga – I could get used to having a hobbie or pastime like this… consisting of lying on the ground under a blanket focusing on my breathing and forgetting about all of the worries of the world while stretching out my poor tired legs and tight hammies!!

Saturday 23 March (LSR – 22-24 miles)
    Ran this one with Digs on yet another cold and windy day. Made sure to have my usual decent breakfast and a hot cup of tea after the previous week’s disaster. We drove to Marlay for laps. Yes laps. 24 miles in a park with a 2 mile perimeter. Goldfish much?! I was tired from the get-go. Miles 1-13 were so meh. My lower back got a bit twingey around the 5 mile mark and worried that I’d have to call it quits and try again on Sunday. Thankfully it eased off after a few miles. Every time I felt like I was warming up, we’d find ourselves back on the open wind uphill side of the park and I was back to square one. I took a gel at 13.5 miles though I really didn’t want one, as well a couple of slugs of water and a bite of a cereal bar. I perked up a little internally for the next 7 miles counting down Diggie’s 20 miles; whereafter I switched direction to shake it up for the end of my run.. Although I had said I’d do one lap and see how I felt, I really wanted to hit the 24 miles. At that stage I was well on the home straight so I just kept trucking My legs were dead for the first 23.9 miles before I managed to dig in for a sprint finish… Interesting that although the legs were heavy and tired from the beginning, they didn’t get any worse throughout. Maybe there was no ‘worse’ in them!! Got back to the car where Digs (the little star! ;) ) was waiting with freshly purchased freshly baked bread and my coffee of choice. Perfect. Happy to have this in the bank. And at the very (hopefully) worst case scenario, I know I’ll be able to run around Boston in 3:30 and have a great day out :D
    24 @ 8:04

Sunday 24 March (Recovery)
    5.65 @ 8:59
    Recovery runs are getting slower…. Not a conscious decision or effort dare I add!! Leg were tired but no other adverse effects from long run.

66.2 miles for the week :)

T minus 3 weeks! :eek::D:)

You know it's close when the hand sanitiser is on the desk in work and you're avoiding the direct line of breath of sneezing colleagues...especially those with toddling snot monsters at home...of which I have one either side of me for 7-8 hours a day*!! Ugh.

*A great excuse to avoid overtime for a few weeks ;):D

Monday 25 March (8 miles easy)
    AMHad originally planned on splitting this into 2 X 4 mile evening runs to facilitate yoga and commuting but I changed my mind before hitting the hay last night. Have a tough session tomorrow and thought if I could run as early as possible, I'd have the best chance of struggling through that. So I was up and out the door with Marthstew the birds at 5:45am this morning. :pac: It was very very windy and my legs and body were very creaky and heavy. First mile took a sorry 8 minutes and 40 seconds but the effort felt like it should have been at least 90 seconds faster...ugh. I dragged some PMA from somewhere and thought about the fact that I'm so close to taper and the big day and that shirking the effort at this stage will get me no further than regretsville! I just tried to get stuck in and get it done as painfree as possible. I don't know how jcsmum was pounding out PMP miles at 6am the other day...insano! Was delighted I had it under my belt when I was done, showered and on my way to work at 7:30!!
    8 @ 7:59

PM
    60 minutes Ashtanga Yoga
    I was this > < close to giving the class a miss but Digger gave me the nudge I needed to liven up and just go! It was another different class altogether. A little less relaxing and quite a bit more active than the others I've tried out. Enjoyed the first 15 minutes, then I had some 'no' time and then I started to enjoy it again. I was definitely the tardiest in the class though. My hammies do not make for a graceful yoga workout! :o As expected, I'm glad I went.

My new book - 26 miles to Boston - arrived in the post today so I'm off to bed with a hot water bottle to get stuck in for an early night.. fun times in our house...;);):pac:

Why did I read this - my 24 mile run is on Easter Sunday.

Backing out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

claralara wrote: »
    Recovery runs are getting slower….

Sure that's a good thing!

Nice work the last couple of weeks. Getting back in the groove. A 24 miler around Marlay! Jaysus! :eek: I'd crack up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good work CL. Keep it up for a few more weeks and you'll get that sub 3:30 ;)

p.s. I've read both entries twice and can't find any reference to "The Laces"? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I think I've read that 26 to Boston book, who is it by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

TRR wrote: »

I didn't think you could read good ;) .... Michael Connelly!

pistol_75 wrote: »

p.s. I've read both entries twice and can't find any reference to "The Laces"? :rolleyes:

Ahem.... Pete, have you not noticed the size of my guns!? ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I didn't think you could read good ;) .... Michael Connelly!

It's well illustrated, I like books with pictures :)

That's a great book, breaks down the course and gives the background of its 100 years of history. I read it the day before I ran the course, not the ideal time I couldn't sleep that night.

Keep up the good work CL (and get some new shoes Officer;))

I'll be praying for Geoffrey Muttai weather for you all on April 15th:)

A friend of mine in the US got me a copy, it's not a bad read at all, full of useless interesting facts about the route and the history of the race. Great for getting in the marathon mood.
    Michael Connelly is from Boston (Irish decent of course) and he ran it in the 90s I think, he actually ran it as a bandit:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Ahem.... Pete, have you not noticed the size of my guns!? ;):D

I haven't but I heard your behind the website below?

http://2ticketstothegunshow.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

So long runs are not tough enough for you now... you either run them up mountains or 2 mile laps of Marlay.
    And you think I'm insane! :rolleyes::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I have Marthastew's copy of the 26 Miles to Boston book. Perhaps I can give it to CL to give back to MS for me while we're in Boston. :)

• Advertisement

I have Marthastew's copy of the 26 Miles to Boston book. Perhaps I can give it to CL to give back to MS for me while we're in Boston. :)

That sounds like a plan and then CL and I can pass our copies onto Boston-bound boardsies next year:)
    While we're hijacking CL's log (while Meno and the boys are losing the run of themselves predicting Digger defeating CL... As if;))....
    Is there anything I can send over with the glamour couple? I don't think Guinness bread would survive the journey and you're not eating treats so that just leaves Tayto crisps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Is there anything I can send over with the glamour couple? I don't think Guinness bread would survive the journey and you're not eating treats so that just leaves Tayto crisps:)

Oooo....anything would be quite nice, but you don't need to go out of your way either. And how about you? Anything from the states you'd like?? :)

blockic wrote: »
    A 24 miler around Marlay! Jaysus! :eek: I'd crack up!!

Sanity was seriously questioned!! Imagine passing the car every 2 miles too!
    pistol_75 wrote: »
    Good work CL. Keep it up for a few more weeks and you'll get that sub 3:30 ;)

Haha. Someday Pete. Someday!!

Lacesgate gets enough airtime - it's not coming into my log too. Except to say that Digs got a very rosemantic anniversary gift in the form of a basin sinus he can bathe his poor footie.. :D
    It's well illustrated, I like books with pictures :)

That's a great book, breaks down the course and gives the background of its 100 years of history. I read it the day before I ran the course, not the ideal time I couldn't sleep that night.
    Keep up the good work CL (and get some new shoes Officer;))

I'll be praying for Geoffrey Muttai weather for you all on April 15th:)

A friend of mine in the US got me a copy, it's not a bad read at all, full of useless interesting facts about the route and the history of the race. Great for getting in the marathon mood.
    Michael Connelly is from Boston (Irish decent of course) and he ran it in the 90s I think, he actually ran it as a bandit:eek:

It's a real fire in the belly read. I was going to keep it for the plane journey but was worried it would scare the heck outta me too close to the big day!
    That sounds like a plan and then CL and I can pass our copies onto Boston-bound boardsies next year:)
    While we're hijacking CL's log (while Meno and the boys are losing the run of themselves predicting Digger defeating CL... As if;))....

Sounds like a delightfully wonderful idear.

Now, I'm off to buy a bigger suitcase!! ;)

We'd leave with 24 packs and arrive stateside with one left for Dory Dory... And that's the best case scenario :eek:

claralara wrote: »
    Except to say that Digs got a very rosemantic anniversary gift in the form of a basin he can bathe his poor footie.. :D;)

And you deemed the mobile radiator I bought for you instead of an engagement ring unromantic!!? :confused:;):eek::D

Tuesday 26 March (2 Easy / 3 PMP / 1 Recovery / 3 PMP / 1 Recovery / 3 PMP ) - PMP 7:05
    All in: 13.5 (ish) @ 7:35 (ish)
    I've already diaried this in detail for the manager and the coach so won't get into it again. Suffice to say that this was an horrendous session. To say it absolutely fooking killed me would be an exaggeration…but not a huge one! ;) After the first 5 miles, my body was in bits and my stomach was in my throat. Not fun. I was also in a pretty weak mental state and couldn't (maybe didn't try to…) shake it off.

Anyway I managed to get the miles done but it was not pretty. Easy miles ranged between 8:20-8:40 and PMP miles were 7:00-7:05. Well all except for the second last (eighth) one during which I completely blew up and gave in to feeling sorry for myself and ran a 7:25…whoops. I stopped for a few seconds - had a loud and profane word with myself and pulled a final hard mile out from somewhere.

Glad to get it done but not at all satisfied. At least I know that if I blow up on the day, I'll still cross the finish line.

60 minutes Yin Yoga Followed my run with a very very very calm and relaxing class which I'm sure was beneficial on every level of my being.

Wednesday 27 March (4 Recovery or Rest)
    Rest In a rare display, I chose to have a rest day. I could have run. I had the time and no real excuse not to but I just didn't! Had a bottle of wine and a tub of Ben & Jerry's Karamel Sutra instead…. Mmmmm ;) Don't tell coach!

Ummm digdig sub 7 PMP CL 7:05 pmp.

Not good enough. Another PMP run tonight please. Can't let the old dog win...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ummm digdig sub 7 PMP CL 7:05 pmp.

Not good enough. Another PMP run tonight please. Can't let the old dog win...

She has already nailed her colours to the mast in the Boston thread ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    She has already nailed her colours to the mast in the Boston thread ;)

I gave my 'A' goal if every single teeny tiny weeny detail goes according to plan on the day. I'll be happy with a PB. If it doesn't work out screw it - IT'S THE BOSTON MARATHON MAN!!! :D:D:D Woohoohoo!

• Advertisement

Thursday 27 March (8 Easy)
    8.15 @ 8:00
    Got out of work a little early for the long weekend and managed to get home, changed, out the door for 8 miles, back home and showered before it got dark... It was so nice. I am actually counting the minutes until the clocks go back on Sunday. I'll worry about losing the hour's sleep some other time!
    Kind of regretted pressing snooze and not running before work to give the legs a longer break between runs but ces't la vie! It was deceivingly breezy out there and the legs were very tight and tired but I suppose I should expect nothing less at this stage in the game.

Last long run today :D

Advertisement