Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Dory Dory wrote: »
    .but they'll remember what you were wearing when you finished. ;);)

A scowl if I'm standing there waiting for her :);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

blockic wrote: »
    *just please please beat digger:)

It'll be my pleasure ;)
    jcsmum wrote: »
    All your post proves is that you are human and not a machine! ;) It's a tiny blip in an otherwise amazing year or so.

But I want to be a machine. Ever since I was a little girl, it's all I've dreamed of... :( Ah I know it's only a blip but unfortunately it's hard to accept a blip at exactly the wrong time. I'm nowhere near as fit or strong as I would have hoped to be at this stage and although I will train as best I can over the next week, and race as hard as I can on the day, I can't help thinking what might have been had the last 3 months gone exactly according to plan. Anyway, we shall chalk it down. It's all part of life and the learning experience.
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Screw all this pace talk! CL, with less than 7 weeks to go we have more important issues to deal with....like....have you given any consideration to your stunning running race day apparel yet? To paraphrase Coco Chanel, they'll never remember your finishing time...but they'll remember what you were wearing when you finished. ;)

Instead of a windmill in the finishing straight, I'm thinking more along the lines of a striptease. I'll be wearing nothing but a smile when I finish the Boston marathon.

In a serious response to your question, I have not considered my race day outfit as of yet. I'm finding it very difficult to even begin such consideration with the insane and unpredictable weather in that part of the world these days. Plus there was the crazy heatwave that rocked the marathon last year which worries me greatly. What are you planning? A little black number to put those cheerleaders to shame?! ;)
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    A scowl if I'm standing there waiting for her ;)

You won't be.

7 weeks to go - operation salvage-what-I-can in full swing!

Monday 25 February (6 mile aerobic)
    6 @ 7:29 & 0.5mile w/d
    We dragged each other out the door for this one, both of us dreading having to give the lungs and the legs a decent workout. After the first mile though everything seemed to warm up and fall into place. Felt pretty strong finishing despite the last 2 miles being uphill. Happy enough with that one.
    Grade 5 ;) fook you digdig... ;)

Tuesday 26 February (14 mile MLR)
    14 @ 8:21
    A tough enough hilly run after the different sessions over the previous few days. From Ballsbridge, out the coast, up to Leopardstown, across to Sandyford, down (:)) to Dundrum, back up to Ballinteer, over by Marlay and home – net uphill for sure! There were some decent climbs including my Newtownparkavenue nemesis. I remember when I started running I used to push myself to keep the pace around 10m/m for the 1.5mile climb. In fact the day I did it at 9:59 for the first time, I had to stop and settle the tum which was threatening a vom... Great to see that the 8:23 pace I managed was relatively effortless. Nothing much to report otherwise (not for the public domain in anyways ;)) I was KNACKERED when I finished and had to open a bottle of red to numb the pain.. ;) Anti-oxidants in advance of the weekend and all that ;)
    Grade 5

Wednesday 27 February (5 mile recovery)
    5.7@ 8:45
    Run home from work. Really nice and handy. Legs felt surprisingly ok after Tuesday. Love an ole recovery :)
    Grade: simples – can’t really grade a recovery run according to my Boston scale – for coach’s purposes and the real scale, it was a 3.

Thursday 28 February (6 miles total w/4*1K)
    All in - 6.8 @ 8:12
    Run home from work. Despite trying to plan my route so that the 1k intervals would be flat, I somehow managed to have every one of them uphill except for the first 0.3 of the last one. It appears I'm as good at judging distance as I am at basic math! The intervals were pretty manky and required some willpower but I suppose they could have been worse. I'll take that as a positive. Recoveries in between were slooow!!
    Splits: 4:13 / 4:12 / 4:08 / 4:08
    Grade 5

Friday 1 March(TOTAL REST)
    TOTAL REST
    First rest day following 20 consecutive days running. Cannot remember the last time that streak happened...if ever! Actually a quick review of the numbers shows I ran 210 miles in February over 26 out of a possible 28 days. Not bad considering I was away skiing for a full week at the beginning of the month and felt (to quote RO'CK) like basic sh*t for almost two weeks thereafter.

Saturday 2 March(4 easy easy easy w/strides)
    All in - 4.6 @ 8:50
    Was wide awake at 7am this morning so took advantage of a lovely spring morning and got out bright and early. Good for the soul :) Did 4 miles @ 9:25 - very very handy to loosen out the legs and finished up with 6 X c.160m strides.

Legs got a good sports battering last night. Hopefully between that the couple of easy peasy miles this morning, they'll possess some life by tomorrow. I've felt better, I've felt worse... meh! I'm not expecting wonderful things. I don't think it'll be a PB day for me but it should be a good race and a decent hard work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

claralara wrote: »
    I'm not expecting wonderful things. I don't think it'll be a PB day for me but it should be a good race and a decent hard work out.

You never know, tomorrow is a another day!! You could suprise yourself. Positivity!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

7 weeks to go - operation salvage-what-I-can in full swing!

For once, I'm not going to be a smart arse but salvage what? You're on track for a super run if you get the luck everybody needs. Were you initially targeting 2.5X.XX or something?

First rest day following 20 consecutive days running. Cannot remember the last time that streak happened...if ever! Actually a quick review of the numbers shows I ran 210 miles in February over 26 out of a possible 28 days. Not bad considering I was away skiing for a full week at the beginning of the month and felt (to quote RO'CK) like basic sh*t for almost two weeks thereafter.

If that's a salvage operation then we're all fcuked. You constantly write off the running and racing you did last year. Just because you have a lay off you don't lose the gains made previously. Sure I even surprise myself with my own brilliance ;) Look at that recent 10k, that wasn't based on recent training, was piggy backing training from last year. Again with a bit of luck you'll see the benefits.

I suppose I better lash something up on Bohermeen and then it's back down to the Boston business. Beware – there isn’t even an attempt to be entertaining in the ramblings that follow. It’s black and white – never to be seen in a race report of mine again. Ever.

Pre-Race
    As has been evident from my log over the past few weeks, I haven't been in great running-related form. I don't like being sick or tired or out of a routine and I was experiencing all of those at once. My runs were just bleugh and I really wasn't enjoying them regardless of how easy or difficult they were. I felt like I should have been in a far better place than I was in reality, and that was annoying me. I wasn't particularly looking forward to Bohermeen but I wasn't dreading it either (the way I have done with some races in the past). I didn't really think about the fact that it was a goal race within the training program and I kind of ignored its approach. I had no expectation of what I wanted to run, no idea of what I was capable of running and this resulted in an absolute loose cannon on the start line. There was literally no Plan A, Plan B or Plan C in place. I'll never do that again. If I'd gone into the race in the hope of a PB, I would have been disappointed with the result. If I'd gone into it planning to run with the TRR and the 1:30 group, I'd have been happy with my result and a good hard run. If I'd gone in thinking I was fit for a 1:35, I'd have been uber delighted on the finish line. As it was, and because I had no plan or expectations, I found it very difficult to reconcile my result with my feelings.

The Race
    I thought I was going to miss the start of the race such was the length of the queue for the ladies but no such luck ;) I found myself lined up just ahead of TRR's yellow balloon and just behind Meno (who proffered some kind words along the lines of 'here, you're not able for 6:30s today so don't try go out at that pace'!).

As I said, I had no race or pace plan so when the gun went, I just ran. I had no idea who was ahead of or behind me or how far away or otherwise they might have been. I realised that the first 3 miles were far too fast when I started to get a stitch; I checked my watch for the first time and saw I was averaging 6:37... whoops… However, because it was a bit of a blind test to see where I was, I just went with it. I think I passed Mr Stew at about the 4 mile mark, at which point I was averaging 6:38 and I ran a bit harder to catch up with a girl from Bohermeen who was just ahead of me. Unfortunately she had a game plan to run an even 6:38 pace and the mental and physical strength to back it up. I also don't think she much fancied having me hanging on so she pushed on and I just fell behind her (whether that was mental or physical doesn't much matter at this stage).

I just trundled along solo in my own little world. I had eased off a little to try get the form, footfall and breathing back on track and it wasn’t long before a little ninja chick dressed in black passed me. I wasn't particularly pleased with that but again the mind wasn't strong enough to fight back and the worry of the stitch held me back too. I can't remember a whole heap about the next few miles. As I was finishing the first of the two laps, I started to pass through the back end of the 5k which gave me a little boost and made me think about the strength and ability I know I have somewhere.

The support was great as we passed through the lap by the clubhouse and I heard someone shouting at me to try run with somebody. I somehow always manage to find myself all by my tobler during races?! Anyway there was a guy in a Newcastle singlet about 20m ahead of me who I decided was going to pull me through. As I reached him, he stepped aside to let me pass but I told him that we were going to run together and that I needed him as much as he needed me. We were never more than 10m apart for the second half of the race. At about 8 miles, my legs got a little heavy and I had a bizarre hallucination that I had forgotten to put on my shorts. I actually had to look down (twice!) to make sure I was wearing them! It gave me a good chuckle and made me consider for a moment whether I might be losing it altogether. The pace dropped second by second over the next couple of miles but there is really no point in analysing why at this stage. It was a mixture of everything!

As Digger passed me around 10 miles, I was very much in the ‘the end is nigh’ frame of mind and knew I could battle it out at my pace which by this stage had dropped to 6:46. He asked how I was feeling and for fear of inviting the stitch to bite again, I just raised a hand and mumbled ‘stitch’. I told him to go on – I knew I wasn’t going to run a PB but I was happy I could come in under 1:30 – I knew he had a good time in him and he belted off into the distance in no time looking very strong.

As Digs approached the ninja chick, I could see that she was starting to tire so I kept my eye on her and made her my target. I was on her shoulder by 11 miles and knew the hill was coming. I figured if I could pass her on the hill and put some distance between us that I’d have her. So that’s exactly what I did – I had enough in me to do and get me home strong. I heard a good few ‘6th lady’ mutterings and that kept me focused on powering on. I did glance over my shoulder a bit and knew that she wasn’t going to catch me but I didn’t ease off (I made 15 seconds on her in the end). I finished with a chip time of 1:28.45 and was the 6th lady over the line.

I know it’s a good time so apart from the fact I found it hard to identify how I felt or should have felt (as I said above), I’ll say no more. For once I got lucky with prize giving as there just so happened to be prizes for the first 6 men and women over the line :) That was nice!

It was great to catch up with a big Boards crew overflowing with PBs afterwards – well done to y’all!

May I take a moment to apologise to Blockic for discussing my bladder movements in depth with him at the finish line… I don’t know what it is with us runners that makes us think think have a God-given right to discuss such things with virtual strangers when in a race/training scenario! :)

13.16 @ 6:45[\B]

Post-Race
    Anyway, my negative feelings towards running probably didn't help me on the day or in the immediate aftermath. I have since received a bollicking from my loved one (who, I don’t know if you’ve heard, beat me and went on to run a savage PB?! ;) ), a virtual kick in the hole from my coach, a couple of 'let's stop and take stock' chats with some nicer (more tactical) people and gallons of postive thought and happy words from the international MS superstar and suffice to say that I am in a far better place. I started a 6 week course of PMA happy pills on Monday which should have me raring to go on the start line in Boston regardless of how the next 6 weeks go. I don't think I'm going to be where I would have liked to be had the stars aligned for a perfectly perfect training cycle but as the lectures have taught me, Boston is a once-(maybe-twice)-in-a-lifetime experience that millions would kill for and it's not all about paces and times and competition and the worst thing I could do is focus on the what-ifs and ruin what should be one of the most amazing days in my running career ever!

• Advertisement

Nice handy week to recover from Bohermeen this week. The legs were alright in the aftermath - they were hard session/long run tired but they weren't hardcore racing tired. The stitch was gone obviously but there was some residual strain around the upper ab muscles which was a bit of a pain. It was actually particularly sore when I was carrying my handbag over my right shoulder so I've been a bit of a nerd using my running backpack this week instead of the designer handbag. Safe to say that between the backpack and the sensible heels, running is ruining my street cred and I have no doubt the fashion cops will be after me before long!

And back on topic...

Monday 4 March(20-35 minutes slow)
    30 minutes very very easy with plenty of positive thoughts.
    c. 3.3 @ 9:04

Tuesday 5 March(30-35 minutes slow)
    30.5 minutes very easy with lashings of positive thoughts.
    c. 3.4 @ 9:00

Thursday 7 March(40-50 minutes - 8:20-8:50)
    6 @ 7:57 with a serving of positive thoughts
    Ok - hands up - I c**ked up on this. I thought the pace was supposed to be 8:00-8:20 (which was actually the original plan for today; I just got my days confused). Anyway I was running home from work aiming for the lower end of the scale and somehow found myself at 7:52 after 4.5 miles. No biggie there as the last 1.5 mile is uphill and on unpleasant paths so I just said I'd sit back and do a couple of recovery pace miles which should have brought it down. I eased off but continued to run very comfortably. About a mile from home, I was accosted* (;)) by a head-hunting Brothers Pearse runner, who turned out to be PVincent of A/R fame, who was utterly devasted** to hear that I am not currently on the club market and that yellow and green really aren't my colours! The chats distracted me from my pace and I found myself having not dropped back enough but very happy with a good positive run. I won't lie, I did a couple of lengths of the cul de sac to round me up to an even 6 miles.

*mild hyperbole
    **slightly less mild hyperbole :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You're taking your life in your hands to be running around Knocklyon these days, Peter is always on the prowl for runners :pac:

RayCun wrote: »
    You're taking your life in your hands to be running around Knocklyon these days, Peter is always on the prowl for runners :pac:

"I'm always on the hunt" - his exact words!!

He's lucky he picked a fellow understanding anorak to approach!

RayCun wrote: »

He's never stopped me :confused::eek::mad::D

I found myself lined up just ahead of TRR's yellow balloon and just behind Meno (who proffered some kind words along the lines of 'here, you're not able for 6:30s today so don't try go out at that pace'!).

Meno seems to have been dishing out pacing event all day so. I got a prerace briefing on how to pace 1.30. Thanks meno ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

May I take a moment to apologise to Blockic for discussing my bladder movements in depth with him at the finish line… I don’t know what it is with us runners that makes us think think have a God-given right to discuss such things with virtual strangers when in a race/training scenario! :)

Haha, that was quite random alright, but I went with the flow!!* The shorts part was pretty funny though!

Great time under the circumstances. You were buzzing with excitement beforehand after all!!;)

Good luck with the next few weeks training, you'll be flying it again before ya know it!

*pun intended
    :cool:

blockic wrote: »

*just please please beat digger:)

It'll be my pleasure ;)

Ahem........:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

@ CL. I think Sunday was a very positive race for you. I was just saying to Digger, your pace must have been equal to or faster than your 10k pace from 2 weeks ago. I know that wasn't a great race but that's positive progress in anyone's book
    TRR wrote: »
    Meno seems to have been dishing out pacing event all day so. I got a prerace briefing on how to pace 1.30. Thanks meno ;)

I thought you might appreciate the advice after DCM 2011 ;)

Good job btw, not one person behind you broke 1:30: always a sign of great pacing.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I thought you might appreciate the advice after DCM 2011 ;)

Good job btw, not one person behind you broke 1:30: always a sign of great pacing.

2.58.51 in Dublin. That's great pacing in my book. No slowing down blowing kisses at the crowd on the home stretch unlike most of you chancers. Anyway I can't help it if sub 3hrs is a piece of piss for me :D

No one behind me as I was threatening to stick fingers up people's bums unless they got far enough ahead of me.

Thursday 7 March60 minutes @ 8:00/30
    I was later than usual getting out last night and it was fairly wet and windy out! Had a really good strong run though; served up with a dollop of positive thoughts and a dash of TRR's ignorance. Starting to feel the mental love again :)

Friday 8 March(4 miles easy w/strides & a crunchie)
    Was up bright and early with the birds for another wet and windy run. Went with recovery pace for the just-out-of-bed legs so nowt much to report. Finished up with a handful of strides laced with positive thoughts and a smile!
    4.4 miles in total

Off to buy my crunchie for afternoon coffee now - I'm not the type to digress from the plan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Thursday 7 March60 minutes @ 8:00/30
    I was later than usual getting out last night and it was fairly wet and windy out! Had a really good strong run though; served up with a dollop of positive thoughts and a dash of TRR's ignorance. Starting to feel the mental love again :)

Friday 8 March(4 miles easy w/strides & a crunchie)
    Was up bright and early with the birds for another wet and windy run. Went with recovery pace for the just-out-of-bed legs so nowt much to report. Finished up with a handful of strides laced with positive thoughts and a smile!
    4.4 miles in total

Off to buy my crunchie for afternoon coffee now - I'm not the type to digress from the plan!!

What a great idea for a Fridaywink.png...How come my plan never has a Crunchie Friday....must have a chat with the Bossbiggrin.png

Younganne wrote: »

What a great idea for a Fridaywink.png...How come my plan never has a Crunchie Friday....must have a chat with the Bossbiggrin.png
    There were no frickin crunchies in the shop!! Thank Bueno for saving the day :)

Saturday 9 March(LSR 22 miles - 8:00/30)

This run was an adaptation of the annual Howth-to-Bray run which is usually a 30 mile training run for the Connemara Ultra Freaks. As myself and Digs were away skiing when it took place last year, we ran it solo the following week. We didn't know the route and hadn't been able to navigate our way around the Pigeon House / Nature Reserve area, which resulted in us reaching Bray at 26 miles and having to run 4 miles up, down and around the promenade. The nightmarish memories of it still haunt us greatly! Thankfully that wasn't going to be an issue this year as we had a perfectly measured route and a bunch of directional know-it-alls.

We had a great group of Boardsies (and some non-internet freaks) spanning a range of paces so it was going to make for a good run. I had warned the group that I would be running mute as I was worried that chattering would invite a stitch. I did manage to have plenty of random chats throughout the journey but my social butterfly cred was already out the window having been compared to a nun on a vow of silence.

The journey out on the DART didn't cause the 'what the hell am I doing thinking I can/want to run back all of this way' panic we had experienced last year, but it certainly brought home the madness of long distance running! As we picked up people at various stations, forgot to pick up people at others, made our way through Bootietown and Grand Anal Dock, headed out of the bubble of Southside security and further into the third world war zone of da nort soyid. We arrived in Howth and after a quick loo stop, some public indecency (dropping trou in public is just another god given right of the runner), a couple of mouthfuls of steaming coffee as satellite signals were fought over (putting the audience of a star wars convention to nerdy shame!), we were off.

I had wanted to run 8/8:30 m/m pace for the 22 miles and once I was happy that the group was game for that I just settled into a comfortable pace and ignored the Garmin. We were running with the wind at our backs for a good while and were reminded of the larger group when two 7:57s were bagged early on. We knew the wind would be back to bite us though so it wasn't a huge deal. I couldn't believe it when we reached Westood in Clontarf with 7.3 miles under our belts as I had barely noticed a step of effort. I had a couple of mouthfuls of powerade but didn't need or fancy much more. As the seconds ticked by waiting for the Hello paps to get the money shot, I started to get a bit cold and just wanted to get back on the road.

As expected, when I started running again, the legs had gone from feeling pretty good to feeling pretty meh. They warmed up again after about 2 miles, at which point I turned around and noticed we had picked up even more strays. MrStew plays a very good Pied Piper of the Pigeon Houses. We were starting to experience that bit of a headwind that was only going to get worse at this stage and so I tried to tuck in behind a couple of the boys. Yes, boys. Not men. You'd only have to hear the odd snippet of conversation to realise that! ;) Diggy was dropping off the group and I glanced back a couple of times really willing him to catch us. We headed out onto the yucky cobbled and windy pier that would bring us as far out into Dublin Bay as one can get. Although I was hating the conditions at the particular time, I was feeling pretty strong. As we turned at the end of the pier (which I think was the 13 mile mark) I decided that I was going to hang back and run with Digs. We were averaging about 8:03 pace and I figured that another couple of seconds wasn't going to cause any major issues at this stage in the game. We ran back in the pier with a bit of respite from the wind but the path underfoot was, quite simply, my idea of hell (and made 4 miles in Bray seem like walking the red carpet in LA!). We had a good chat about making sensible decisions and the bigger picture for about 2 miles before he insisted I head off and keep my pace up. I did so reluctantly but knowing (from extensive experience!!) that sometimes you just need to be alone to focus and get through a run. So having made sure he knew where the taxi money was in the belt and handing over the remainder of the powerade, I headed off solo.

I comfortably picked up the pace and could see Belcarra in the distance. I brought my average down from 8:09 to about 8:03 pretty quickly and managed to catch him. I had been thinking about picking up the pace towards the end so when I met Belcarra I was secretly planning on having him join me. However he'd done MP miles the night before and was easing off. At 17.15 miles I found myself on my todge and upping the pace. I hadn't really anything in mind, just to go a bit harder and try hold on for 5 more miles. It was a far cry from where I'd been a few weeks ago at the same place with the same amount of miles under my belt! Those last few miles were tough going. They were straight into thw wind, and the rain had started to fall pretty heavily. Notwithstanding, I managed to knock out 5 miles @ 7:27 to finish (obviously I ran up and down the road outside Chez Stew to bring it up to 22.15 miles and make my last effort an even 5!

Finished up with a nice confidence boosting 22.15 miles @ 7:57 (which was very bizzarely the same pace that the group finished up at having left me to take care of my Florence Nightingale duties!;))

I know the above waffle is more akin to a race report than a Saturday trainign run, but with the free technical t-shirts and the spread that were provided, it felt like the end of a very fun homemade race. Thanks so much again to the Stews for their hospitality (MS - maybe you could get off your bum and help MrS prepare the next time you decide to have a party for your friends... ;)) Great running out of everyone (especially Digger - I was so happy to hear his voice at the hall door...for once!). It was lovely to catch up with some old faces and meet some new ones! :D

good to see the salvage job pick up a bit of steam ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I also hated the pier and suggested we plot a different route next year but Mr S says we need to leave it in in honour of Aimann who mapped out the original route;) It's definitely character building:)

• Advertisement

TRR wrote: »
    good to see the salvage job pick up a bit of steam ;)

Yep...even if it is more steam train than TGV for the moment ;)

Marthastew wrote: »
    I also hated the pier and suggested we plot a different route next year but Mr S says we need to leave it in in honour of Aimann who mapped out the original route;) It's definitely character building:)

This is true... Although I've got character building runs coming out of my ears this training cycle!!

We'll leave it in next year but if he doesn't show, it won't be making the 2015 cut! ;)

Sunday 10 March(5 miles recovery)
    Didn't even check the plan before heading out for this one. I assumed it would be a 6 mile recovery like pretty much every Sunday in the history of world! I wasn't particularly enamoured and could easily have taken very broad and discretionary view of the recovery day. Unfortunately however, I had to go to collect my poor car from where it had been abandoned before I headed out a seisiúin on Saturday night. It was ridiculously windy but luckily I was heading downhill so it saved me somewhat. Hangovers and route planning do not go well together... suffice to say that my short-cutting attempts ended up in me taking the most scenic route possible to me mate's gaff and I well overshot the actual planned distance and my own planned distance. Whoops!
    7.5 @ 8:32

Think the mileage figure for the week was c.53.5 miles.

5 WEEKS.... getting excited now... A few weeks of as much hard work as possible and I'll take what I get on the day!

Monday 11 March(6-8 miles easy)
    Adapted the planned run to suit other plans and fit it with getting to/from work... I had sworn I was going to do a yoga class for the purposes of stretching out the body (which is currently feeling like a hyper-extended elastic band! :() I found a yoga for beginners class at a time that suited in Dundrum. I also signed up for the one month unlimited offer because I'll make the mullah back in 4 classes so seemed stupid not to. I split my run in two ran from the office to the class, yoga'd for 60 minutes and then ran to the bus stop where the car was dumped.

Run 1 Legs felt pretty dead and heavy but it was a climb the whole way and I really didn't get a chance to warm up. Twas pretty nippy out.
    4 @ 8:17

Yoga - 60 minutes
    A very nice basic yoga class for beginners. I took MS's advice (unfortunately the recommended Ashtanga for beginners was full) and settled in down the back and paid absolutely no heed to those around me. I don't think I'll be taking home any downward-facing-dog prizes anytime soon so your title is safe doll ;) I can totally see the benefits it would have for a runner. I could feel every stretch at the very basic level which just goes to show much work I need. It was interesting... not really my scene although I wonder whether I could get used to it and make it a regular occurence. Twas nice to switch off and focus on how the body feels. I'd never do that on my own. Don't think I'd have fancied a 90 minute class though.

Run 2
    I suspect the legs had loosened out a bit but because it was bleedin baltic out by that stage they never warmed up. I really didn't enjoy this run as it was dark and on paths that I don't know so really had to watch my footing. I couldn't get the heat into me at all. Was so happy to get back to the car!
    4 @ 8:26

Having followed the Digdig school of training for kids what can't jog good for the previous two days, I had to get back to the solid gold plan ;)

Tuesday 11 March(MLR 12-14 miles easy)
    This was a good hard run after a long day in work. Legs were fooked after 200m. Dressed to suit the baltic conditions of the previous evenign but typically it was way milder and I was roasting after 10 miles. Had a interesting route planned and was knackered by the time I got home. So knackered that not even the inner Garmin whore got a say and I called it a day at an uneven 13.21. Shock; Horror ;)
    13.2 @ 8:00

Wednesday 12 March(6 miles recovery)
    Whoops...slight deviation but no biggie as recovery day. A creaky pre-work run. Freezing cold again. Textbook Ireland.
    4 @ 8:55

Hot Yoga - 60 minutes I've heard lots about that Bikram yoga and how hot and manky it is. I don't think this was the same. It was just in a warm room; like a cosy house as opposed to a sauna. It was grand. I'm still as tight and inflexible as a plank. However, there must be benefits (i.e. I'll get more out of an easy yoga class than I will sitting on the couch for an hour!) and I'll remain positive and do a few more classes over the next few weeks. Hoping to get my Ashtanga on soon if I can get into a class that suits time-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

This is true... Although I've got character building runs coming out of my ears this training cycle!!

We'll leave it in next year but if he doesn't show, it won't be making the 2015 cut! ;)

Jeesh, you're more afraid of change than the Catholic church!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you're with Yoga Dublin, try get out to their Ranelagh studio for one of Anto's ashtanga classes, he's really good. Have been going to his Wednesday evening classes in Open Mind Yoga in Pearse St since early January, and it's helped massively with my back :)

If you're with Yoga Dublin, try get out to their Ranelagh studio for one of Anto's ashtanga classes, he's really good. Have been going to his Wednesday evening classes in Open Mind Yoga in Pearse St since early January, and it's helped massively with my back :)

I am indeed. I tried to get into anto's ashtanga 1 on Monday but it was full. It's not on next week because of bank holiday. I've booked in for following week though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I am indeed. I tried to get into anto's ashtanga 1 on Monday but it was full.
    that ken byrne fella,always usin my name to get chicks,,,

The Thursday Fix - now with added fatherly insults and canine incidents…

Thursday 14 March (8 miles free style)
    I wanted to keep this relatively flat and didn't fancy the backpack for the zillionth time this week so I left the office and headed from Ballsbridge out along the coast for 4 miles (to a turnaround point between Blackrock & Seapoint) and back. Didn't bother with the Garmin as I knew the mile marks. First mile was grand and handy. Then I picked it up for 6 miles - I just wanted to run a hard effort. Was going pretty strong for first 4 though I wouldn't fancy the way I was breathing for 26+ miles. Started to tire on the 5th mile and running into the wind wasn't helping. I spied a man with 2 moggies walking towards me on what was otherwise a long and wide deserted path. One adorable moggie was on a lead. The other lively devilish "Douglas" was not. He had his eyes on my busy legs from a distance and made sure to go straight for my feet. The scene would have given "FENTON! JESUS CHRIST! FENTON!" a run for it's money. Amid the shouts of "DOUGLAS!!...COME HERE…He won't hurt you…DOUG-LAS!!" I managed to keep myself upright. I was however, practically in the bushes at this stage having veered onto the grass away from Douglas the heinous hound. Had there been a TRR in the vicinity, I suspect Douglas would be currently coming into port in Holyhead!

The incident really knocked the wind out of my already suffering sails and I got a stitch once I started again. I dug in and managed to get the 6 tougher miles done. I was thinking more about the stitch issue and wondering whether it kicks in when I cross over into the lactic side of training…it might make some sense as it does feel like a lack-of-oxygen muscle pain. I had been tempted to run the last mile hard but I called it a day and took it handy for the last mile to bring it up to 8.

I had parked the car in Clonskeagh and walked into work so I decided to jyst pick up my bag and jog up to the car as a really handy warm down. Unfortunately, because I hadn't planned for this, my bag was full so I had to run carrying my winter coat under my arm for the 1.65 miles @ 8:50. I got a few strange looks but needs must eh?!
    1 mile w/u - 6 miles a la Phoebe Buffet - 1 mile w/d - 1.65 mile a la Forty Coats

9.65 total

In other news, earlier that day, I had asked my dad to join me for lunch. I didn't see him for his birthday last week so figured the least I could do was buy him a soup and sambo combo while trying to figure out what the heck I can get him retrospectively. Lunch was lovely. He said I was looking well. I said "thanks, it must be my new hair". He said, "No, I think it's since you put some weight on"… Excellent… just what one wants to hear 4 weeks out from a goal race!! Oh well.. I got over it with the help of a coffee and some cake.

Moral of the story to all father's out there… don't call your daughter fat if you want a free lunch.

Dad - thanks for the lunch, coffee and cake!! ;)

Moral of the story to all father's out there… don't call your daughter fat if you want a free lunch.

Dad - thanks for the lunch, coffee and cake!! ;)

no such thing as a free lunch, or in your case a fat free lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I think your dad was just calling you "healthy". ;)

Advertisement