Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

chinguetti wrote: »
    Well done on Sunday kid. Sub 20 in Leixlip in May i assume?

also looking at your lovely table, Dunshaughlin would be an app place to guage your improvement over the last 12 months. Brian can give out the odds as well:p

I'll be looking over both shoulders!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on Sunday kid. Sub 20 in Leixlip in May i assume?

also looking at your lovely table, Dunshaughlin would be an app place to guage your improvement over the last 12 months. Brian can give out the odds as well:p

Cheers buddy :)

What are the dates for those two races?

As I said above, I'mworried about peaking and plateauing within a short period of time i.e. the first six months of the year. I rather like the idea of running good races for a couple of years… and not running good races for 6 months and then struggling to make progress for the next 10 years. That's not to say I'm holding back or intending to hold back in any races I do run. Hmmm. Puzzlement.
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    I'll be looking over both shoulders!!! ;)

For Digger?! ;)

If you're looking for the real action, it'll be 3 seconds ahead of you… Haha!

Wednesday 21st March
    5.1 @ 9:22
    I was under strict instructions to practice what I preach - take it easy, it's taper time, 5 X 8 minute miles ain't going to do anything for me in terms of the Ultra at this stage, 5 X sensible miles will maintain what I've done to date without jeopardising it…blah blah blah! ;)
    So the plan was to run home at a pace of 9:30 m/m. Averaged 9:22 in the end with a conscious effort to hold off - had to pull it back quite a few times in fear of getting home too early! This felt easy, breezy, beautiful!

Thursday 22nd March
    5.35 @ 9:35
    Again, strict recovery instructions to run c.9:45 m/m. Always easier to keep it slower so early in the morning but still had to ease off and behave a couple of times. It felt so easy at times but I suppose that's taper for ya!

T minus 10 days… yikes. Getting nervous and excited now! :D

claralara wrote: »
    For Digger?! ;)

If you're looking for the real action, it'll be 3 seconds ahead of you… Haha!

Oh how our confidence has grown, have you set your sights on beating me already?

Fair play, I look forward to many battles! (Until I can't keep up with you anymore);)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Sub 42 in Dunshaughlin, under or over is evens each of 2 :D

• Advertisement

What are the odds on her beating Digger in the same race?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    What are the odds on her beating Digger in the same race?

3/1. But all bets to be done by pm to avoid collusion and skullduggery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Oh the guys and their bets :rolleyes:

The form is incredible at the moment and why won't it continue???? At this rate, you'll be in the 2016 olympic team!

jcsmum wrote: »
    The form is incredible at the moment and why won't it continue???? At this rate, you'll be in the 2016 olympic team!

You can have 25/1 on that with me, put your money where your mouth is :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Leixlip is May 5th and Dunshaughlin is the end of June usually.

As for CL doing the 2016 Olympics, well its in Rio so who know:p

Whats the odd for sub 44 there Brian?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I want more money off you. I bet what you owe me on the under there brian. Double or quits.
    Leixlip is May 5th and Dunshaughlin is the end of June usually.

As for CL doing the 2016 Olympics, well its in Rio so who know:p

Whats the odd for sub 44 there Brian?

Dunshaughlin is on June 23.

You wouldn't get much odds on sub 44 if sub 42 is evens.

menoscemo wrote: »

I'm sure that Brian would agree that there's odds for everything that you require and more in this world. You just have to ask nicely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'm sure that Brian would agree that there's odds for everything that you require and more in this world. You just have to ask nicely!

ok, I'll give you 1/10. Max bet €10.:D

ok, I'll give you 1/10. Max bet €10.:D

Thats a good one, i laughed there so i did

I want more money off you. I bet what you owe me on the under there brian. Double or quits.

What is it? €20 from the fantasy football bet, is that all (assuming i dont catch you and Bale outscores Silva). You're on in that case.

Chinguetti you can have 1/8 with me for as much as you want :D Ante post rules apply :p

Good man Brian, i'll consider that kind offer and come back to you at a later date.

I suppose we better leave CL post up something about her training at this stage. Run girl run but not too fast in a 10k:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Lads... The only bet that matters is the one that I won at the MSB 5k on Paddy's weekend..... 3 in the bed and CL said, "rollover, rollover" :D

And back to non race-fixing and legal posting….

Friday 23th March
    3.25 @ 8:58
    A random commute as wasn't in the office and didn’t know the appropriate mode of public transport that would get me to my venue on time. Unfortunately it also meant I had to bring a very heavy uncomfortable backpack with everything I needed for the day. Not the most pleasant of runs but a few miles under the belt so can't complain.
    2 @ 8:25
    This was unplanned and literally a favour to accompany Digdig for 20 minutes to start breaking in his new you-won't-miss-me-in-a-dark-alley Asics Noosas - I genuinely couldn’t let him out on his own in them for fear he'd be arrested for indecent public exposure! They're very luminous… Suffice to say that my mother asked whether they came with a bucket (into which she could vomit!!) Ha!

Saturday 24th March
    10 @ 9:16
    A fun night of beery rehydration with the A/R/T ladies led to a well earned morning of hungover dehydration ;) so I gave the usual early Saturday run a miss and had a fry up, and went for a coffee and a scone a stroll in the sun instead. Picked up a box of sports nutrition goodies from Cycle Superstore - the online offer last week was awesome with loads of stuff from gels, to energy bars, recovery drinks, salt tabs and a load of sports bottles - in preparation for Connemara. We eventually hauled ourselves out for the planned 10 miles at about 4:30. Took a lovely 5 mile out and back route from the Dodder at Templeogue, all the way into Donnybrook. While the route and the weather was lovely - I was not feeling it. My legs were tired and after 3 miles I was hating every step and freaking about having to do it times 13 next weekend. The only good think about the run was turning back after 5 miles. I perked up a wee bit around 8 miles but I was still in pretty bad form :( Oh well. Got it done anyway. Was very happy to get home! This did not inspire me with confidence in advance of the biggie the following weekend :(

Sunday 25th March
    No running but I went to a kettlebells for dummies workshop as, after the Ultra, I need to put some serious work into strength and conditioning work! Or else I'll be wearing maternity clothes for the summer! Will be getting real about diet and making weights a part of the routine pronto! (Well…after the Ultra and the celebrations and Easter….:rolleyes::o)

Plan for the last week is to take is very very handy….

Monday 26th March
    3 @ 9:25
    Run with Digdig - disciplined enough as we both scolded each other when the pace started to creep up! That said, I didn’t feel that wonder tapery deliciousness of fresh legs and wanting to go on forever….Hopw I haven't left it too late…whoops.

Tuesday 27th March
    3 @ 9:10
    Run on my own - pace crept up to 9m/m after 2 miles so had to practically walk for a few metres to drag it back down. This was me being disciplined - see Digdig's logs for how not to do it. I'm not going to comment as I've aleeady said / shouted my bit… :)

My left shin is sore. Feels quite inflamed. I'm not going to panic just yet. But it's worrying…

Sports massage tonight - my own personal gig in the sitting room - it's great having friends who couldn’t make up their mind about future careers and now profess a variety of skills! :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I need to put some serious work into strength and conditioning work! Or else I'll be wearing maternity clothes for the summer!
    Um, that's not quite how that works :pac:

Um, that's not quite how that works :pac:

Haha… so many retorts… wouldn’t want anyone to end up behind bars though so I'll keep my mouth shut! ;)

• Advertisement

So, after a raft of discussion - some sober, some not so much, some pre,post and during good runs, and some pre, post and during some not so good runs - and despite the original goals and intentions, myself and Digdig have decided not to run Connemara together. Originally, the goal was just to complete the distance, enjoy it and tick it off the bucket list. At the outset I said I'd do 6:30 and nothing faster much to digdig's dismay. As training progressed, I gradually agreed to a minute faster, week by week. While training went well for me, it wasn't so hot for Digs. With almost a month off, a couple of injuries and the dreaded unescapable man flu, his training has not been what it could and should have been.

In the meantime, I've discovered a nasty little competitive streak that I never knew I had - what with me always being on the 'fun' hockey team or the 'sociable' tag rugby team… Anyway, I kind of want to go for it in Connemara and get out of the race what I've put into training. So I'm going to run with the 6 hour group and see how it goes while Digs is going to run between the 6 and 6:30 groups. (I have been warned that this doesn’t necessarily going to mean he won't beat me but we'll see how that pans out… I could have a mare, he could have an awesome run!) I feel bad that I may have tempted fate on poor Digs with my log title…although apparently I don't stand a chance in Berlin so maybe not!

Anyhoo, that's where I'm at in advance of Sunday… fingers crossed for a 6 hour (ish!) finish!

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Lads... The only bet that matters is the one that I won at the MSB 5k on Paddy's weekend..... 3 in the bed and CL said, "rollover, rollover" :D

What was the other fellas name?:D

So, after a raft of discussion - some sober, some not so much, some pre,post and during good runs, and some pre, post and during some not so good runs - and despite the original goals and intentions, myself and Digdig have decided not to run Connemara together. Originally, the goal was just to complete the distance, enjoy it and tick it off the bucket list. At the outset I said I'd do 6:30 and nothing faster much to digdig's dismay. As training progressed, I gradually agreed to a minute faster, week by week. While training went well for me, it wasn't so hot for Digs. With almost a month off, a couple of injuries and the dreaded unescapable man flu, his training has not been what it could and should have been.

In the meantime, I've discovered a nasty little competitive streak that I never knew I had - what with me always being on the 'fun' hockey team or the 'sociable' tag rugby team… Anyway, I kind of want to go for it in Connemara and get out of the race what I've put into training. So I'm going to run with the 6 hour group and see how it goes while Digs is going to run between the 6 and 6:30 groups. (I have been warned that this doesn’t necessarily going to mean he won't beat me but we'll see how that pans out… I could have a mare, he could have an awesome run!) I feel bad that I may have tempted fate on poor Digs with my log title…although apparently I don't stand a chance in Berlin so maybe not!

Anyhoo, that's where I'm at in advance of Sunday… fingers crossed for a 6 hour (ish!) finish!

No problem to you boss and Digger is in trouble in Berlin methinks.

Haha… so many retorts…
    You can't say that and not add at least one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Maybe we should be age grading the times for the Ultra, to be fair and balanced, with DigDig being a pensioner and all? :pac:

Maybe we should be age grading the times for the Ultra, to be fair and balanced, with DigDig being a pensioner and all? :pac:

Actually, the age gradings for a woman of CL's age and a man of Digdig's age are very similar, so no excuses there :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Actually, the age gradings for a woman of CL's age and a man of Digdig's age are very similar, so no excuses there :pac:

Not for much longer though. She's officially late 20's soon. It'll be all change in a couple of years. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition, O :)

Wednesday 28th March
    @ something faster than what it should have been but not stupidly so... maybe 8:45 or thereabouts?! I didn't bother wearing the Garmin as I was in a rush and I have my race-week 3 mile loop down to an absolute tee at this stage.

A pretty painful sports massage followed this. As expected, my calves are at snapping point. Got a bit of scolding for my lack of attention to stretching and rolling etc. She left me with my head hanging in shame and homework for the next few days... And forever thereafter.

Shin feels a fair bit better. Calves are in post-massage agony but I suppose that's a good type of agony :rolleyes:

I'm not sure where I am taper-madness-wise at the minute. It's certainly not the ususal "all loose animals, all animals on long leads, all small toddling people etc are out to get me, and should be disposed of before they put me out of my marathon game". Although, a girl in work did sneeze in my general personal space yesterday, which earned her a death glare...hopefully she'll take today off!! Boss is out of the office and no meetings today so I think I'll leave the heels in the wardrobe... Shhh... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Wednesday 28th March
    3 @ something faster than what it should have been but not stupidly so... maybe 8:45 or thereabouts?! I didn't bother wearing the Garmin as I was in a rush and I have my race-week 3 mile loop down to an absolute tee at this stage.

A pretty painful sports massage followed this. As expected, my calves are at snapping point. Got a bit of scolding for my lack of attention to stretching and rolling etc. She left me with my head hanging in shame and homework for the next few days... And forever thereafter.

Shin feels a fair bit better. Calves are in post-massage agony but I suppose that's a good type of agony :rolleyes:

I'm not sure where I am taper-madness-wise at the minute. It's certainly not the ususal "all loose animals, all animals on long leads, all small toddling people etc are out to get me, and should be disposed of before they put me out of my marathon game". Although, a girl in work did sneeze in my general personal space yesterday, which earned her a death glare...hopefully she'll take today off!! Boss is out of the office and no meetings today so I think I'll leave the heels in the wardrobe... Shhh... ;)
    Of all the people going for 6 hours i reckon you are in the strongest position. i dont think you quite realise how much youve improved.

Advertisement