Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Im in awe of your training. Well done on the 30 miler. How exciting to be at this stage eh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Mr Slow wrote: »
    There's nothing worse than having some old relic sneak up on you and
    pip you at the post. :P

I've nothing to worry about then seeing as you're not running on Sunday...! :p

Thursday 15th March
    5 @ 8:49
    Another early start. Took a good mile for the legs to begin to wake up. They still aren't feeling good. I'm getting nervous about Sunday. Have also been getting warning signs from the ab muscles similar to the time I strained them, which worries me in terms of trying to run fast and not just chug along as I've become accustomed to. The lack of 5k specific training may well make itself known very early into the race. Oh well. All I do is run my best and keep my toes crossed!

Bally8 wrote: »
    Im in awe of your training. Well done on the 30 miler. How exciting to be at this stage eh!

Exciting, terrifiying... depends on what side of the bed I get out of on any given day! :confused::)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

claralara wrote: »
    There's nothing worse than having some old relic sneak up on you and
    pip you at the post. :P

I've nothing to worry about then seeing as you're not running on Sunday...! :p

I'm in my prime young lady!

Apologies if any offence was taken, I regret your sensitivity on the matter. ;-)

• Advertisement

I'm in my prime young lady!

Apologies if any offence was taken, I regret your sensitivity on the matter. ;-)

My sole sensitivity in any age-related matter is being asked for ID by a 17 year old barman… ;)

Sometimes I wish I wasn’t so fresh-faced and wrinkle free…:rolleyes:

Friday 16th March
    4.5 @ 9:50
    A proper recovery run this morning. I need these fricking legs to wake up! Argh! (I think a bluberry and white chocolate scone with butter and jam was the perfect breakfast to aid such waking up…) :D

Sometimes I wish I wasn’t so fresh-faced and wrinkle free…:rolleyes:[/SIZE][/FONT]

Have you had Botox since our last meeting? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Have you had Botox since our last meeting? :-)

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Younganne wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

My sentiments exactly Younganne. There are certain cheeky monkeys around these parts who believe that an insult is discounted if succeeded by a winking emoticon. However, seeing as I'm such a tolerant young lady, I will let the old dog have a little bit of fun before he forgets his name and starts to dribble ;)

• Advertisement

I will let the old dog have a little bit of fun before he forgets his name and starts to dribble ;)

Is that what first attracted you to your man friend?:P

Nope... What attracted me to him were the lollipops he was giving out outside the school yard ;)

Nope... What attracted me to him were the lollipops he was giving out outside the school yard ;)

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Younganne wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That wasn't a lollipop ;):D

MSB 5k official time 20.29 - been waiting all weekend for those chip times.... Yessss!! :D

Proper report to follow... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

MSB 5k official time 20.29 - been waiting all weekend for those chip times.... Yessss!! :D

Proper report to follow... :)

Amazing, but not surprising!
    Well done you.....again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Holy crap. You rock! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Again, you're within a few seconds of my time from last year - which means I expect a sub 20 from you in Rathfarnham this September!

RayCun wrote: »
    Again, you're within a few seconds of my time from last year - which means I expect a sub 20 from you in Rathfarnham this September!

I think I'd be willing to take on that challenge... :eek::eek:

Rolled out of bed at 8am on Sunday to run my second 'lucky pre-race mile'. This is something I fashioned before the Raheny 5 back in January as I felt it helped the legs to get the blood flowing nice and early. Got home about ten and a half minutes later, had some tea and toast, and attacked the foam roller in front of the TV for about 20 minutes. A quick shower, a bit of organising and myself and Digdig were out the door to get the bus into town. The safety queen had insisted on getting in nice and early, which meant that we had arrived, picked up our numbers and goodie bags, used the loo, studied the route and taken post in some good people-watching seats pretty much before the sun came up.

I had decided I wasn't going to start freaking out like I did before Raheny and that I was just going to run my race, and hope for the best. I knew I had 3 X sub 7 minute miles in me somewhere and was hoping I could pull out a sub-21:30. My thinking was that it was only going to be one tenth of the distance I had run the previous weekend, and that I've run in pain for 3+ hours before so surely I could suck up pain (albeit a different type of pain) for 25 minutes! I started to get hungry at about 11 - had it been an hour before a long run, wild animals couldn't have kept me away from the chocolate biscuits on the table beside me. However, I knew better than to invite more pain than necessary upon myself so I stayed away.

About 20 minutes before the race, we dropped off the bags and went for a wee warm up (probably about a mile in total). I said hi and bye to the good crowd of boardsies around and went to take my place. I usually start pretty far back but was under instruction not to do so this time. So I took my place behind the first couple of rows of singlets. A girl in a club vest standing beside me looked me up and down as if to say ''Eh you do not belong here…get back to the other t-shirt and capri wearing rookies where you belong...'' That scared me so I took a few steps back - absolutely delighted to say that I burned the skinny rake after about 1.5kms and didn’t see her again... :) I know that's petty but allow me my small victories.:o

The first 2kms felt good - perhaps what one might term a ''comfortable effort''. Belcarra was about 15m ahead of me so I was just planning on checking the distance between us, and trying to keep up with him as much as possible. I started to make some ground on him coming into the third km but I lost it again. At this point, I got the strange demons in my head - although my breathing and legs were feeling good, my head starting telling me to slow down 'why are you doing this?', 'You've nothing to gain from putting yourself through it', '9 minute miles would make this such an enjoyable run and a fun day out', 'sure just slow down and don't worry about people passing you'. It was a ridiculous battle of wills! I caught sight of Digdig ahead of me at that point - which helped me oust the demons and push on. Adelaide Road saw me catch and pass Belcarra, which prompted him to push on and we were within paces of each other for the next km - cue competitive CL… As we were coming around by Earlsfort Terrace, I really thought I had a Digger-chicking in me and was making ground on him meter-by-meter. Unfortunately for me and my bet, he kicked on from Leeson Street and that was that. :mad:

When I got the 4km marker, it was time to suck it up and get the flock on with it. At this point the breathing was becoming more laboured and I could feel a stitch coming on. It was down to focusing on, and passing by, each person in front of me, one at a time. I really didn't think I had the competitive edge to inflict such pain on myself but I dug it out of somewhere. By then I was down to cajoling myself to finish strong 'just 3 more minutes, 2 more minutes, get to the next lamppost, pass one more person… and it'll all be over'. Coming around by the Shelbourne, the stitch was worsening, and I was just terrified it was going to explode into a stop-me-in-my-tracks pain. I was focusing so hard on not letting that happen, that it appears (from Meno's description of my head looking like 'a blueberry that was about to explode' sitting on a body), I stopped breathing.:eek:

On the finishing straight I heard Digdig getting a shout out and then it was about making sure not to let one more second than necessary elapse between us (there were 13 in the end). I had my eye on one girl a couple of steps ahead of me and put the foot down to pass her in the last 50 metres. She wasn't letting that happen though and it was a fight to the death - which she won to finish one second ahead of me.

Took quite a few minutes to gather myself over the finish line. I managed not to hurl but it was pretty close. My watch said 20:30 and I was absolutely delighted! Caught up with the crew afterwards - congrats to everyone on great runs all round.

Really enjoyed* this race and will definitely be back next year. Great organisation and work by those involved. Special thanks as always to the marshals and tea/coffee makers which made my 4 chocolate Mikado biccies all the more tasty! :)

*As much as 20 minutes of pure torture can be enjoyable...:rolleyes:

Official chip time and a massive PB: 20:29 :D
    (Previous PB was 24:18)
    Appear to have come 24th in my category which I'm also delighted with.

• Advertisement

Congrats Claralara on the great PB, you are flying and the training is certainly paying off. Well Deserved...great race report too....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well done CL!
    I think that mini-battle helped both of us push on to get really good times.
    you won this one but it'll be a long Summer of 5k's hopefully!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    I think I'd be willing to take on that challenge... :eek::eek:

last year it was on the same day as the berlin marathon, but i see that this year it is on a week before. It should be doable*

*not exactly ideal but if you are following P&D it has a session consiting of 3 x 1mile @ 5k pace a week before the marathon, So I guess you can just replace that session with a 1 x 3.1 miles at 5k pace :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done CL, fantastic result. Loved your description of it all. Dont worry about the exploding blueberry head- mine looks like that every time I run:D

menoscemo wrote: »
    last year it was on the same day as the berlin marathon, but i see that this year it is on a week before. It should be doable*

*not exactly ideal but if you are following P&D it has a session consiting of 3 x 1mile @ 5k pace a week before the marathon, So I guess you can just replace that session with a 1 x 3.1 miles at 5k pace :pac:

Noted! Will have a think about it and a possible alternative over the next wee while.

I was running home from work last night and realised that the race on Sunday encompassed about a kilometer of my usual route home - I genuinely do not remember running it during the race on Sunday such was the zone/pain I was in… mad Ted!

Race aside, and general mileage since last update…

Saturday 17th March
    Rest
    Spent the day driving around the country in search of a running shop to take my hard earned cash from me, in exchange for a fancy new pair of runners, but to no successful avail. Everyone must have been watching the parade :(

Sunday 18th March
    1 X pre race lucky mile @ 10:30
    1 X warm mile @ c.9:45
    3.1 X race miles @ 6:36 :)
    Still smiling...

Monday 19th March
    7 @ 9:13
    This was supposed to be, and started off as, a recovery run with Digs of about 6 X 10 minute miles (ish) to fit into a window of availability. It was a lovely day (sunny and breezy) and we headed up to Tymon for a change of scenery. It ended up being a run-by-feel run and the pace came down and allowed us to fit in an extra mile :) Twas a good one.

Tuesday 20th March
    AM 3 @ 9:42
    Felt like rolling out of bed for a short recovery before getting stuck into the working week again (albeit a short working week :) ). Instead of getting back into bed after turning on the water, I used the 30 minutes it takes to get hot water in the outhouse, rather more productively.
    PM 5 @ 8:01
    Had no plans for this one but it certainly wasn't the intention to run it faster than 9m/m pace. First mile was 8:54 and that felt good; and then I ended up just getting stuck in, in order to get home for dinner asap. Was uphill and into the wind most of the way and I could feel the effort but I was enjoying the push all the same. A good one by all accounts.

Forgot about this - needs some updating!

Distance | Previous PB | 2012 PB | Event
    1 mile | 6.37 | N/A | Goal Mile 25 December 2011
    5k | 24:18 | 20:29 | MSB 5K 18 March 2012
    10K | 54:03 | N/A | Dunshaughlin 26 June 2011
    5 miles | 42:21 | 34:47 | Raheny 5 29 January 2012
    10 miles | 1:29.08 | N/A | Dublin Race Series 21 August 2010 :o
    13.1 miles | 1:59.49 | N/A |Dublin Race Series 18 September 2010 :eek:
    26.2 miles | 3:53.30 | N/A |Dublin City Marathon 31 October 2011
    50K | N/A | 4.37:22 | Donadea 50K 18 February 2012

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I believe you need to re-evaluate that 1 mile PB, considering you did 3.1 of them at a faster pace ;)

I believe you need to re-evaluate that 1 mile PB, considering you did 3.1 of them at a faster pace ;)

Haha... All in good time. I can't give too much away soon ;)

It'd be awful to peak and plateau within the space of the first quarter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well done on Sunday kid. Sub 20 in Leixlip in May i assume?

also looking at your lovely table, Dunshaughlin would be an app place to guage your improvement over the last 12 months. Brian can give out the odds as well:p

Advertisement