Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Thanks guys! Yep, seriously thrilled with the result. And hoping for a few good races over the next while now too. Fingers crossed anyway….

Monday 30th January
    Rest
    Think this was needed and deserved…

Tuesday 31st January
    10 @ 9:21
    Grand handy run yesterday evening. Had a fair bit on my mind so it was really nice and refreshing to get out, and try switch off. Legs felt good after Sunday - left quad and shin a little tender but only a result of a hard race & training run; nothing to worry about. This was quite an effortless run really. Twas nice.

Wednesday 1st February
    AM 3 @ 10:18
    A 6am recovery. I don't know if my body is getting lazy in the mornings or I'm being really diligent recovery-wise or what; but I have absolutely no desire to push harder on these runs (nor do I think I could). Although I'm sure if I really had to, I could break a 10 minute mile!

menoscemo wrote: »
    McMillan gives you a 1'37 Half and a 3:24:37 Marathon based on yesterdays time. Just saying :pac

That's interesting. And something worth considering. Sometime. In the furture. The distant future!! :rolleyes: :D
    RayCun wrote: »
    503rd overall, 52nd woman to finish, and 33rd WS (woman between 18 and 40), which is pretty spectacular

503rd out of 2053 runners
    52nd out of 762 females
    33rd out of 461 females 18-39

Absolutely delighted with those results.
    I find them mildly unbelievable. But it's nice to finally start seeing some proper progress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

With the milage your puttingin and the speed your picking up you should deffo rethink your connemara goal:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    With the milage your puttingin and the speed your picking up you should deffo rethink your connemara goal:D

Hmmm… we shall see. I've already come down by 10 minutes in less than 2 months. I need to keep some sort of perspective. And control! ;)

Wednesday 1st February
    LUNCH 3.4 @ 9:37
    Second recovery run of day. Very easy with one of the girls from the office. Almost just an excuse to get out for a chat. Legs feeling good again - was a bit worried beforehand as I when I stood up from the desk to head out they were a bit jelly-like.

Another handy 3 mile recovery due tomorrow morning, and then hopefully a decent 6/7miles or so at lunchtime. The plan (Monday to Friday) is rest/10/5/10/rest - I'm finding not commuting a bit of a pain as it's a fair whack of extra time to seek from the depths of an already hectic schedule. So next week I'm going to be uber organised - to the extent that all I will have to transport between work and home will be my phone and emergency money. I might try doing a mile or two with the backpack at the weekend just to see how it all holds up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Are you still coming for that long run on saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Congrats on the PB! Just catching up on some of the logs this evening - that is some amount of running you're doing these days :eek: I'm in awe!

Are you still coming for that long run on saturday?

Yep, will update group thread now. Am kind of dreading the thoughts of it. Plan calls for 21 Saturday and 14 Sunday. I'm nervous though as missed a 20 miler the weekend before last and longest so far (in this training) has been 18.

So maybe we'll do 24 on Saturday morning? :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara wrote: »
    Yep, will update group thread now. Am kind of dreading the thoughts of it. Plan calls for 21 Saturday and 14 Sunday. I'm nervous though as missed a 20 miler the weekend before last and longest so far (in this training) has been 18.

So maybe we'll do 24 on Saturday morning? :eek::eek:

Eh...... No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Eh...... No!

If the boss is doing 24, you'll be doing 24 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

pistol_75 wrote: »

No, he'll be doing 12 then be sent home to get the dinner on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Shortest clip I could find but you get the idea! ;)

Thursday 2nd February
    5.65 @ 7:59
    The plan called for 10 today. I knew I wouldn’t get out tonight as I have really interesting lecture on Energy Law to attend after work! So I decided to split it into a morning recovery and a lunchtime GA. The morning recovery didn’t happen as result of an indulgence in pizza and beer last night… Shame on me! So I decided to run a bit harder at lunchtime. Headed out from Grand Canal, along the coast towards the Pigeon House for 2.5 miles and then turned back. Ran through Irishtown Nature Reserve… I wouldn’t quite call it a nature reserve but there’s a nice little trail path for about a mile with a couple of hills, that I splashed through like a pig in the proverbial. I could hear 2 guys huffing and puffing behind me for this part of my run and I was determined not to let them pass me…they didn’t! Mwah ha ha ha. I had to tag on a little bit at the end as I went in search of a shop that was selling the four new Kit-Kat Chunky bars. I’m partaking in the quest to find the best one in a very proactive manner… Double choc already has a good vote. Need to find the peanut butter one tomorrow! Tangent completed – good run, nice route, good effort, legs feeling it a teeny bit now; will be doing it again!

(Have to make up for my missed recovery and take care of it tomorrow morning instead now)

Thursday 2nd February
    The plan called for 10 today. I knew I wouldn’t get out tonight as I have really interesting lecture on Energy Law to attend after work! So I decided to split it into a morning recovery and a lunchtime GA. The morning recovery didn’t happen as result of an indulgence in pizza and beer last night… Shame on me! So I decided to run a bit harder at lunchtime. Headed out from Grand Canal, along the coast towards the Pigeon House for 2.5 miles and then turned back. Ran through Irishtown Nature Reserve… I wouldn’t quite call it a nature reserve but there’s a nice little trail path for about a mile with a couple of hills, that I splashed through like a pig in the proverbial. I could hear 2 guys huffing and puffing behind me for this part of my run and I was determined not to let them pass me…they didn’t! Mwah ha ha ha. I had to tag on a little bit at the end as I went in search of a shop that was selling the four new Kit-Kat Chunky bars. I’m partaking in the quest to find the best one in a very proactive manner… Double choc already has a good vote. Need to find the peanut butter one tomorrow! Tangent completed – good run, nice route, good effort, legs feeling it a teeny bit now; will be doing it again!

(Have to make up for my missed recovery and take care of it tomorrow morning instead now)

Correct me if I'm wrong, you missed a recovery run and made up for it by running harder at lunch? :confused:

Did you have a bottle of vino for brekkie? :P

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    Shortest clip I could find but you get the idea! ;)

Jeez, a man cooks for his hen and gets lambasted :eek: Look lads, it's fairly straightforward, I like to cook, CL likes my cooking... I on the other hand appreciate when she eats rather than cooks ;):D

Your run today takes in a good part of our 30 mile howth to Bray run, and the stopping off for kitkats is part of the 'spirit' of that run :pac:. Pity you will miss that one.

Thursday 2nd February

I had to tag on a little bit at the end as I went in search of a shop that was selling the four new Kit-Kat Chunky bars. I’m partaking in the quest to find the best one in a very proactive manner… Double choc already has a good vote.

And there was me commending you for making yesterday's one last two days and now I find out you went shoe chocolate shopping ;)

Look lads, I like to eat. Digger’s a perceptive being. He used it as ammunition to haul me in and now I can’t leave. Don’t think I haven’t tried. But anytime I come close to escaping, he makes me run, and then he suggests a Superquinn breakfast with fresh batch bread, a pound of Kerrygold and a pot of tea; and he has me again. Back at square one! And then I decide to seek help. And they tell me I can leave. I build up the courage, and just as I’m packing my things – BAM – low blood sugars! And he’s there waving a family sized bar of Golden Crisp in my face. I have no option but to stay and have my habit fed. It’s a vicious circle. And at the end of it all no one else will have me because I won’t fit through the doorway. He’s not a stepford wife; he’s simply a scheming fiend! (And a feeder!)
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, you missed a recovery run and made up for it by running harder at lunch? :confused:

Did you have a bottle of vino for brekkie? :P

Ok I will! (Haha, for once I don’t intend to be a smarta*s!) The plan called for 10 at about 9:15 pace. I knew I’d have to split it into 2 runs because of time constraints. By definition, my really early morning runs are recovery – simply because my body refuses to work at a pace beyond 10m/m. So I decided to split the 10 easy into 4 ‘easier than easy’ and 6 ‘a little harder than easy’. As in, a Recovery Run was not on the plan per se. Does that make sense or do I ramble?! Don’t answer that… Anyway the morning run didn’t happen in the end so I figured if I was reducing the planned distance, then I should probably increase the effort. That is all.

Friday 3rd January
    4 @ 10:09
    6:15am - the alarm went off. I pressed snooze. 6:20am – the snoozing alarm went off. I pressed snooze. Was so close to turning over and putting my run off until lunchtime. But I knew I’d probably push too hard if I was out in daylight and if I had to get back to work. It’s a lot easier to do these disciplined runs straight out of bed in the dark. Anyway by the time I decided to actually get up and go, I’d woken sleeping beauty who decided to brave it and join me. It wasn’t difficult to keep the pace down. Was nice to get out, wake up and loosen out the legs. Glad I did now – it also means I can have a proper lunch hour today! (I’m not quite sure if I’ve converted Digdig into a 6am athlete just yet but I’ll work on it!)

A big weekend of LSRs and beer and rugby and fried food in my future… Yaay! :)

Your run today takes in a good part of our 30 mile howth to Bray run, and the stopping off for kitkats is part of the 'spirit' of that run :pac:. Pity you will miss that one.

Seriously, that is my ideal training run. Oh man!! Maybe I’ll skip the week in St Johann…

Ok I will! (Haha, for once I don’t intend to be a smarta*s!) The plan called for 10 at about 9:15 pace. I knew I’d have to split it into 2 runs because of time constraints. By definition, my really early morning runs are recovery – simply because my body refuses to work at a pace beyond 10m/m. So I decided to split the 10 easy into 4 ‘easier than easy’ and 6 ‘a little harder than easy’. As in, a Recovery Run was not on the plan per se. Does that make sense or do I ramble?! Don’t answer that… Anyway the morning run didn’t happen in the end so I figured if I was reducing the planned distance, then I should probably increase the effort. That is all.

That makes perfect sense :confused::rolleyes:
    But I knew I’d probably push too hard if I was out in daylight and if I had to get back to work. It’s a lot easier to do these disciplined runs straight out of bed in the dark. Anyway by the time I decided to actually get up and go, I’d woken sleeping beauty who decided to brave it and join me. It wasn’t difficult to keep the pace down. Was nice to get out, wake up and loosen out the legs. Glad I did now – it also means I can have a proper lunch hour today! (I’m not quite sure if I’ve converted Digdig into a 6am athlete just yet but I’ll work on it!)

One would have thought rolling over to find Digger's head on the pillow would be incentive enough to get up and out? :pac:

• Advertisement

Saturday 4th February
    21.17 @ 9:13
    LSR with a big Boardsie crowd dans le Park. A 9am start meant a 6:45 rise for brekkie, and to see my little sister off to the airport as she headed to New York for a week. I know where I'd rather have been…yep the Park, in the cold and rain, embarking on a 21 mile run, knowing that in 3 and half hours I'd be starving and exhausted and fit for little more than a fry-up and an afternoon on the couch. I definitely got the brains in my family… :rolleyes: Longest run up to this had been 18 miles about 3 weeks ago. So with the highs and lows of injury and racing in between, I was a wee bit nervous but also too tired to think about it too much. The route was laps of about 6 miles with brief car stops each time which was handy - no annoying hydration belts to carry (just an emergency gel in the back pocket). The group got smaller with each lap as the sensible people finished up. Overview - good run; grand for the most part, tough in a few parts and very tough once or twice; head was in a good place; the lungs felt great; stomach behaved until it started to get hungry towards the end; legs started to feel dead around 17 miles; we headed up Knockmaroon coming into the 18th which was tough but mind over matter was the mantra; my legs were utter lead for the the last 3 miles - they were so heavy and wrecked but there was never a thought of not completing the 21, I just wanted it to be over as soon as possible at that stage! Really happy with the run - a good one to have under the belt.

The idea that this distance was only barely over half that of the Ultra is mildly terrifying. But there are still 8 weeks of proper training to go. I'd probably be feeling the same way about a tough 10 miler if it was a marathon training plan that still had 8 weeks remaining... PMA eh?!

Sunday 5th February
    13.03 @ 9:06
    I had absolutely wonderful plans for LSR #2 of the weekend. Which plans, lasted no longer than the amount of time it took me to drink a bottle of wine on Saturdy night! So when the alarm went off at 9am on Sunday, it was swiflty dismantled and laid to rest in a dark dark place. The original afternoon plans were also subjected to come chopping and changing, which meant the opportunity to get out didn't present itself until after 6. So instead of panicking about mileage I decided to run within the window I had available - I had to be home by 8:15 for a hot date! For a change, I pressed start and then turned my Garmin onto the time screen. I genuinely had no idea of distance or pace. I did venture out to Taney Hill for a bit of pain just for Aimmo's sake - I know he has a soft spot for it. Took in a couple of hills around Milltown too. Twas a nice undulating route. I didn't overly enjoy this but I didn't hate it either. It was just a bit meh - only doing because I had to. Running according to time was strange, it felt like the minutes weren't ticking by at all for parts of it. An interesting mental lesson though. It feels different planning to run for 2 hours, than it does planning to run X miles. I wonder will it help with the mental pain of having to run in excess of 6 hours in Connemara… Last 30 minutes felt like an almighty plod. My body was jaded by that point. I just wanted to get home to eat and drink. I was so surprised to stop the watch and see 13 miles at 9:06 - genuinely didn’t think I could have been going faster than 9:50 minimum!

A good weekend of Ultra training which brought me to my first 60 mile week (60.27 to be exact!) :)

Today is a welcome rest day. My poor legs were knackered walking into work this morning.

Good Stuff!! You got more miles in on the weekend than me in the end. I wouldn't have been fit for more than my paltry 5 miles on sunday :o.

Did digidig make it out for the 13 after the match or was he too depressed/drunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Glad to see that someone else hates those awful water/snack belts...and glad to see that you do actually stop to hydrate and refuel. That's one thing I've not been sure about - is it considered cheating while training to stop (twice) on long runs. I guess if cl is doing it, then it's okay!! ;)

Also, interesting about running to time and not distance. I've been contemplating taking my next 20 mile training run and just running for 3:30 to see how far that will take me. I've done two 20 milers already, so I know that's somewhere slightly less than 3 hours, but I'm wondering how my body will feel going in excess of 3 hours, and how far "distance-wise" I can go in those extra 30-some minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I did venture out to Taney Hill for a bit of pain just for Aimmo's sake - I know he has a soft spot for it. Took in a couple of hills around Milltown too. Twas a nice undulating route. I didn't overly enjoy this but I didn't hate it either.

I used to hate that hill until I started running up it. Fair play on the training, it's coming along great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

A good weekend of Ultra training which brought me to my first 60 mile week (60.27 to be exact!) :)
    That's great going CL well done, I'm mighty impressed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ah you left out the bit about the dog running after you in the War Memorial Gardens who wanted to be your friend. Its worthy of a mention i think.

chinguetti wrote: »
    Ah you left out the bit about the dog running after you in the War Memorial Gardens who wanted to be your friend. Its worthy of a mention i think.

Were you there for when she made the bet that she'd beat digger in a 5k in May? The stakes of the bet are quite interesting :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

No thankfully i missed the gambling bit. I'm amazed there was bets done and Brian not even in the country.

Does Digs lose an eyebrow, dye his hair blue or CL sells the copper (not the bike) if they lose?

No thankfully i missed the gambling bit. I'm amazed there was bets done and Brian not even in the country.

Does Digs lose an eyebrow, dye his hair blue or CL sells the copper (not the bike) if they lose?

I'm surprised digger hasn't been on to explain his terms. He must be getting bashful in his old age :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm surprised digger hasn't been on to explain his terms. He must be getting bashful in his old age :pac:

Bashful...Me?.....No.....

Simple bet spagbol, she's got so carried away with her new found pace that she agreed to Liz snuggling in beside us for a night if she fails to beat me in the MSB 5K ;)

Advertisement