Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

claralara wrote: »
    Though "what goes up, must come down". So it was a little cheater-y… because what goes up in Connemara, ain't coming down!! The joys of running a loop where you have to end up back at the same spot that you started from ;)

The ultra is great because you actually end up where you started. In Fact you start on a little downhill 1 mile before the finish (and pass it twice), so there is actually more down than up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Though "what goes up, must come down". So it was a little cheater-y… because what goes up in Connemara, ain't coming down!! The joys of running a loop where you have to end up back at the same spot that you started from ;)

But you'll be doing a loop in Connemara for the Ultra, there's plenty of downhills, coming into Lenane, after the top of HOTW etc, it will all level out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Oh ok, I didn’t realise the Ultra was a loop - I thought it was an A to B route with an obnoxious amount of ascending and very little descending…funny how the mind works!!

Just entered Raheny…bets in..! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Just entered Raheny…bets in..! ;)

Sub 37 mins is the bet, how much d'you want on? :D

Remember you cost me €20 in the DCM!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Fantastic running yesterday!
    You're on fire missus.

• Advertisement

Sub 37 mins is the bet, how much d'you want on? :D

Remember you cost me €20 in the DCM!

That's an average of 7:23/mile at the LEAST?! Are ya kidding me?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well if anyone is doing Raheny and is wondering how far behind CL is at any point, keep an ear out for someone signing Rihanna's songs cause that will be her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

chinguetti wrote: »
    Well if anyone is doing Raheny and is wondering how far behind CL is at any point, keep an ear out for someone signing Rihanna's songs cause that will be her.

It's good of her to include the hard of hearing! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Fantastic run!! I guess fresh legs are all they're cracked up to be....plus you've put in the work. You'll knock 'em dead at the Raheny 5. (I assume it's a 5k? If so...go for the 7:23 Brianderunner is offering you. It's so in your grasp!) :)

Oops...just did the math...it's a 5 miler! I say it's still in your grasp!! (fresh legs...fresh legs....fresh legs...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

That's an average of 7:23/mile at the LEAST?! Are ya kidding me?!

If the 1'44 half in a training run is correct (no reason to doubt it) you should have a right go at sub 37 on Sunday in a race environment. It's not that much faster. No joke, between 36'30 and 37'30 would be my expectation.

• Advertisement

If the 1'44 half in a training run is correct (no reason to doubt it) you should have a right go at sub 37 on Sunday in a race environment. It's not that much faster. No joke, between 36'30 and 37'30 would be my expectation.

Absolutely. If you can hold 7:5x over 13 miles in training there is absolutely no reason you can't hold 7:2x over 5 miles in a race.

Shoot for the stars...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Remember i said orna that i reckoned your marathon pace atm should be around 8.15. That training run proved that. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Following CL's DCM extravaganza, there was a lot of discussion about Kenyan blood doping..... I'm prepared to admit that I backed her to the hilt during those nasty insinuations. However, given her recent 5k, 5 Mile, 10 Mile and HM PB's during a training run it led me to question what the print on her DCM shirt really meant when it said "I'm following Fagan" ;)

Ok, look I'll just absolutely go for it and see what happens. Haven't run a race since DCM and before that all I've got to show is a series of disasters! Once I beat my PB of 42:21, I'll be happy... :rolleyes:

Ok that's a lie, if I don't at least break 39, I'll not be pleasant company on the way home..:cool:

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Following CL's DCM extravaganza, there was a lot of discussion about Kenyan blood doping..... I'm prepared to admit that I backed her to the hilt during those nasty insinuations. However, given her recent 5k, 5 Mile, 10 Mile and HM PB's during a training run it led me to question what the print on her DCM shirt really meant when it said "I'm following Fagan" ;)

179689.JPG

179690.JPG

Talk about a big 'whoops'!!

I feel I should clarify at this point that Fagan is actually Meno's alter-alter ego and that I expected to be following him as a 4 hour pacer for Dublin. I wasn't though - I was too fast for the "archetypical Jewish villain" however. Next year he can get a t-shirt saying "Not happy about it, but I'm trailing CL"... ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Savage running at the weekend claralara :eek: Best of luck on Sunday, you'll win that bet for sure ;)

And another 'whoops' - Meno's alter-alter ego is actually FAGIN...:o

Can't believe I wore a t-shirt with a typo on it for 26.2 miles around my fair city. Of all the brainless and moronic things I could have done... Grrr :mad:

And another 'whoops' - Meno's alter-alter ego is actually FAGIN...:o

Can't believe I wore a t-shirt with a typo on it for 26.2 miles around my fair city. Of all the brainless and moronic things I could have done... Grrr :mad:

Very suspicious, sounds like it was definitely Martin that you were following, and god knows what was those packs on the gel belt :D

Monday 23rd January
    6.32 @ 9:12
    Didn’t think I was going to get the chance to run but ended up getting a lift home from work so I had some time (though one might argue I only had time for 4 miles…:rolleyes:) Legs felt a little fatigued halfway through which wasn’t surprising when I checked the pace and I was at 8:50 - this was supposed to be a recovery run. The new sense within came to the fore (a bit) and I pulled it back to finish at the 9:12 average. Still way too fast for a recovery run. But I also figured that if I get a few decent miles in early in the week, I should be able to take a good break before Sunday.

Tuesday 24th January
    AM 3.09 @ 10:15
    A few proper disciplined recovery miles at 6am this morning. The body wasn’t giving me much more though in fairness. Because I can't run with a backpack at the minute, commuting isn't the handiest (as it means being uber uber organised!). So I'll be doing a couple of these for a few days to get some easy miles in. Didn't sleep great last night but figured a nice 30 min run would serve me better than a broken 30 min snooze. It was a bit breezy and drizzly, but nice to get out all the same.

Hoping to get out at lunchtime to finish off today's mileage. And then easy easy easy until Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

menoscemo wrote: »
    Very suspicious, sounds like it was definitely Martin that you were following, and god knows what was those packs on the gel belt :D

A gel belt ? I thought they were condoms :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Ok, I've had an epiphany. I love running!! I just do. :)

Tuesday 24th January
    LUNCH 7.02 @ 8:28
    I was seriously considering ditching this planned lunchtime run; and putting it off until tonight. All I could think about all morning was the delicious thai green chicken curry I had for lunch (last night's leftovers….mmmmm), and I thought I just wanted to eat and be lazy. I didn't succumb though. I had an hour and a half to play with as a result of an early start and waiting for some things to come in so I legged it at 12.30. Headed out by ringsend and along the sea front for 3.5 miles and then turned back. The legs felt good. I'm amazed - considering how they felt for 3 @ 10:15 pace only 6 hours previous. Just goes to show the power of recovery and copped-on-ness (yes, it's a word!). This was a great run; I'm delighted I went out. So nice to get some fresh air at lunchtime and the weather was actually quite nice. Plus my thai green chicken curry was ten times nicer afterwards, than it would have otherwise been! Happy girl here!!

brownian wrote: »
    A gel belt ? I thought they were condoms :pac::pac:

I'd never waste my money on such environmentally unfriendly products… That's one thing that wouldn't be welcomed in your compost bin!

I'd never waste my money on such environmentally unfriendly products… That's one thing that wouldn't be welcomed in your compost bin!

So many jokes, no time!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I spent far too much time this afternoon looking for this ad, until I remembered 'Geronimo'

RayCun wrote: »
    I spent far too much time this afternoon looking for this ad, until I remembered 'Geronimo'

Doesn't look that big to me :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Check you out girl!! Delighted you've had such a good turn around after your disaster last week. Well enjoy the miles now that you are firing them out!!!

It's not for your head! :P

Mr Slow wrote: »
    It's not for your head! :P

But surely it is ;)

Wednesday 25th January
    AM 3.06 @ 10:25
    Another 6am trot - more beneficial than 30 extra minutes in bed...have to keep telling myself that! I'm getting good at this theory of 'recovery'. It's easy to do though when you're straight out of bed with a creaky body, and it's dark, and the roads are devoid of traffic and pedestrians and noise! :)

Can't believe I'm at my desk with a run and a commute under my belt when others are still pressing snooze...tear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Go for it on Sunday and see what happens. Don't hare off too mad and you'll pass a lot in the last part of the race due to the training you've done.

I always read this log and wondering about the people who stumble upon this for the first time and wonder what half the posts are about. They must be burning their runners for fear they'll go mad too.:D

Advertisement