Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Wednesday 25th January
    LUNCH 3.08 @ 9:12
    Went out with a couple of girls from the office for 30 minutes - I was warned to keep it easy. Very funny that I don't consider myself a runner at all around you lot, but in work I'm a guru… ;) Haha. I've been here 3 months, and they've both signed up to run a Half since. Hilarious. Anyway, they did well - got them to 2.5 miles at about 9:45 pace at which point they were done so I rounded it up to 3 miles back to the office door. Legs feeling good again.

This is an interesting and random week of training; in that its pretty useless ultra-wise but I'm getting plenty of time on my feet (and feeling like I'm in and out of running gear and showers like a mad woman!!). Anyway it shall serve its purpose this week in advance of Raheny, and I'll get back on the distance wagon next week - hopefully well rested and recovered from my ailments.

Thursday 26th January
    7.66 @ 9:24
    Bailed out of my 5:45am run - actually did need the extra 45 minutes sleep yesterday as I knew I had a busy day ahead. Brought my gear with me in the hope of having a bit of free time between finishing work and PT appointment. A very productive day however lead to me getting out the door at 5:35…yippee. So I decided to run home. Still not running with a backpack so had phone banging around leggings pocket and keys jangling in the pocket of my top - a bit of a pain but just had to get over it. Ran 2 miles at c.9:30, then decided to try a mile at race pace for Sunday and then 4.5 miles at recovery 9:45 pace. The fast mile was way faster than race pace (7:10) and although I wasn't completely fooked, I couldn't have done 4 more miles at it. The reason for doing this was to give me an idea of what I might need to do on Sunday - I haven't done any specific training for this so I'm pretty nervous. Anyway, all I can do is run it and see how it goes…

Appointment with PT went well. I've gotten the stitch-y pains under control - it's just a matter of focusing on breathing, footfall, rhythm etc. It's still there but I'm managing it better. He went straight for my hip flexor (ouch!!!), then poked away at my ribs (front and back) for a bit, and then cracked my back, and then finished off by pulling and stretching my entire right side in ways I thought only possible for a contortionist. Not the most pleasant way to spend a Thursday evening, but hopefully it'll be worth it. Feel good and loose today which is nice for a change. I think I may make a limb-pulling/stretching session with him a monthly outing - no point in waiting for an injury to occur in order to make you look after yourself!

Friday 27 January
    Rest

Saturday 28th Janaury
    Rest

I think I'll do one 10/11 minute mile early on Sunday morning to get the blood flowing and the legs moving; followed by a bit of foam rolling and stretching, and then Raheny at 3pm. I won't lie… I'm positively s***ing myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

You'll do great you know you will.
    I'm still debating with myself as to whether I'll sign up or not. I want to do my Lsr tomorrow so I wouldn't be breaking any records or anything on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

claralara wrote: »
    The fast mile was way faster than race pace (7:10) and although I wasn't completely fooked, I couldn't have done 4 more miles at it. The reason for doing this was to give me an idea of what I might need to do on Sunday

Some would say 'why would you do that and tax yourself in race week' but I always do it, having confidence in yourself is half the battle.

BTW I struggled to run 400m @ race pace the night before a 5k but held the pace on the day, race day adrenaline is not to be discounted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck on Sunday Claralara.
    I know Brianderunner is the oracle round these parts and he has set you the sub 37 mins target but i have to say if it's a fair course and decent weather I can see you going close to 36mins.
    I predict 36:15 for ya, now go do it (or better)!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Appointment with PT went well. I've gotten the stitch-y pains under control - it's just a matter of focusing on breathing, footfall, rhythm etc. It's still there but I'm managing it better. He went straight for my hip flexor (ouch!!!), then poked away at my ribs (front and back) for a bit, and then cracked my back, and then finished off by pulling and stretching my entire right side in ways I thought only possible for a contortionist. Not the most pleasant way to spend a Thursday evening, but hopefully it'll be worth it. Feel good and loose today which is nice for a change. I think I may make a limb-pulling/stretching session with him a monthly outing - no point in waiting for an injury to occur in order to make you look after yourself!

Nice, I'll see you later so :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

. Ran 2 miles at c.9:30, then decided to try a mile at race pace for Sunday and then 4.5 miles at recovery 9:45 pace. The fast mile was way faster than race pace (7:10) and although I wasn't completely fooked, I couldn't have done 4 more miles at it.

Silly girl, you only need to do 7:23 for 5 miles, NOT 7:10!! ;) Now that we've got that straight.....go smash your PB (or goal time) to bits!!! Good luck. You've got so much in you....you just need to leave it all out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Silly girl, you only need to do 7:23 for 5 miles, NOT 7:10!! ;) Now that we've got that straight.....go smash your PB (or goal time) to bits!!! Good luck. You've got so much in you....you just need to leave it all out there.

4 x 7:10, 1 x 7:23 simples! ;)

belcarra wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday Claralara.
    I know Brianderunner is the oracle round these parts and he has set you the sub 37 mins target but i have to say if it's a fair course and decent weather I can see you going close to 36mins.
    I predict 36:15 for ya, now go do it (or better)!!:)
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    4 x 7:10, 1 x 7:23 simples! ;)

AAAAAARRRGH!!! I'm really nervous now...this is ridiculous! :eek:

I think I have a mantra for it now...there will be a shell of a claralara crossing that finish line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I won't lie… I'm positively s***ing myself!!

You are going to kick its ass, dont doubt yourself!!

• Advertisement

AAAAAARRRGH!!! I'm really nervous now...this is ridiculous! :eek:

I think I have a mantra for it now...there will be a shell of a claralara crossing that finish line!
    Bally8 wrote: »
    You are going to kick its ass, dont doubt yourself!!

I totally agree with Bally8, but (and now I'm turning into my mother) all we can ask is that you do your best.

(You're still gonna kick some major booty. No pressure though. ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I totally agree with Bally8, but (and now I'm turning into my mother) all we can ask is that you do your best.
    Exactly, the only reason people are commenting is that we know how your training has gone over the past couple of months and that you WILL have a great race. Whatever your time you will smash your pb...it's merely a question of how much and that's why we're having our bit of fun trying to predict the size of your success on Sunday!!

Run your own race and it'll all fall into place!

Good luck tomorrow - Despite your great recent improvement (and the blood doping) you ARE NOT Kenyan, so relax, sleep well and I'll see you in the morning for a PB, that's all anyone can ask or expect :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great running today. Congrats. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Heard you left them for dead in Raheny today - huge congrats, delighted for you. Very well deserved :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Official results up on tds live

34.47, well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Absolutely amazing and very well deserved.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Official results up on tds live

34.47, well done :D

Was literally just popping in to put up my time!

34.47 - absolutely frickin delighted!! :)

Just had a steak and wedges and sitting down with a bottle of vino and the chocolate from my goodie bag for the rest of the night. Report to follow in the am!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Nice going. Rain musta suited you!

Wow.
    Wow wow wow wow wow.
    You should've taken that bet.
    Wow. Congrats. You worked hard for that sub-7-five-times-in-a-row time. You really did leave it all out there. Fantastic! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Just had a steak and wedges and sitting down with a bottle of vino and the chocolate from my goodie bag.

Ah the diet of champions:D

Well done, great going.

If anyone is interested in a coach who can help knock 7 mins off your 5 mile PB then check out www.diggerdoespb's.com ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in a coach who can help knock 7 mins off your 5 mile PB then check out www.diggerdoespb's.com ;)

Lots of oils and chocolates involved in that website, eh? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Savage run claralara, massive congrats to you! Fantastic stuff :D

Sunday 29th January
    AM 1 @ 10:27
    This very easy early warm-up/leg loosener is my new good luck charm. It may well be in my head but my legs feel great a couple of hours after!!

Sunday 29th January
    RAHENY 5 MILE RACE :)
    Headed over to Raheny with Ray and the chauffeur-cum-bag holder. The weather was miserable. The traffic was heavy. I was nervous and irritable. I have been allergic to races since the disastrous string of races in 2011. DCM 2011 ultimately went really well, but I refused to enter any races thereafter. So this was always going to be a nerve-wracking one. I didn't know what target to set for myself, nor what to expect. Previous 5 mile PB was 42:21 from the race series 5 miler back in June; and that hurt. Before Christmas I just wanted to break 40. Early January, I knew I’d be able for that; it was just a question of how much more able?!

I knew I would have been delighted with sub-37 (an average pace of 7:23) but I didn't think that was within my grasp. I've done plenty of mileage recently in terms of Ultra-training but I hadn't done any 5mile/speed specific work, and really doubted any ability to hold a pace around or below 7:45 over the distance. In any event, I decided to head out with Pistol who was aiming to hold a 7:20-7:30 pace. Did a couple of hundred metres warm up jog but that was more to ward off the pain of the cold rain.

Started off closer to the front than I would ordinarily do, or would be happy to do (but in hindsight, probably not close enough). To be honest, I don't really rememebr a whole load from each of the mile splits but I'll try give a brief overview. First mile was spent with Pistol dodging and trying to overtake people and get down to planned pace. Noticed after about .5 of a mile that my shoelace had opened and debated about what to do. Decided I'd be better off sorting it out, and then forgetting about it. Told P to head on and I jumped up onto the kerb - the knot was actually still in the lace so I just stuffed the flailing bits into the side of my runner and legged it. It was good having P as a mark as I knew if I caught him, I'd still be on track. . Managed to pick him up again after a couple of minutes. Was feeling good and just getting into my stride. Not sure exactly where I lost P but I was in my own world...

Passed the 2 mile marker as the steward was shouting 15:09 - although I wasn’t sure what time I'd gone under the clock, and I knew I was a bit late with my Garmin. It was still pretty reassuring though. Beforehand, the lads (Meno, Digdig, Ray and Pistol) had been saying that I should be feeling bad coming into mile 2. That scared me. I decided that I didn’t want to feel bad that early but if it started to happen around mile 3 then I'd probably be able to cope with that. I basically spent the entire race picking people off; that kept my focus on just driving forward. Mile 3, I was still feeling ok. Mile 4, I knew I was working hard but I was far from wanting to give up. This worried me a bit - I thought I should at least be thinking about pain at this stage; but I was still feeling really strong. I knew the hill was coming just towards the end of mile 4 and into mile 5, but from what I remembered from last year, it wasn't as bad as people say. So, head down, arms pushing, legs driving and I just got stuck into it. Took over quite a few people at this point. Then I started to feel bad..thank God! My stomach was almost in my throat. I was so glad I’d been disciplined and fought through the hunger at about 2pm - I rarely do, as a hungry CL is not a pretty or happy CL. It was at that point that I knew if I'd eaten the banana I'd gone for an hour previous, that it would have ended up all over the road under my feet! Nice. Felt a bit better once the course flattened again and I saw the finsih line with about 600m to go. Felt strong enough to have a good push for the finish. My stitch started to kick in with about 400m to go and I really struggled to fight the pain. It was horrible and annoying. Took a good few people out on the finishing straight and was literally using everything - legs and arms! Was pooped over the line but only for a minute or two.

Cannot believe how strong I felt throughout (even with the bad patch or two). I don't think I left everything out there; a fair bit, but not everything. The next 5 miler will be a real sign now that I've set this benchmark. I'm so happy with my time. Actually find it a little incredible…haven't quite gotten my head around it yet!! :)

Will try figure out my mile splits and lash them up later.

Official Results as follows anyway:-
    Chip Time 34:47
    Pos
    503 Pos M/F 52 Pos Cat 33 (not really sure what these mean…)

Sunday 29th January
    PM 10 @ 8:58
    After the race I dried off, got changed, had a coffee and a biscuit, finally started to get some warmth back into me and then had to head out for 10 miles in fresh gear!! Disaster! But let's not forget that it's Ultra training I'm in the middle of here! A handy 5 mile loop with Meno and Digdig - started off easy (first couple of miles were about 9:45) which the legs needed. Dropped the chauffeur-cum-bag holder cum-chef off to start preparing dinner for the Champion (ha!), and did another 5 mile loop with Meno. We were absolutely destroyed from the puddles. And from about 7.5/8 miles I was famished! Literally in pain from the hunger! Legs started to tire too but we were so anxious to get home for food that the pace actually went up! Delighted to get this run in and even more delighted to get home after it. Had an absolutely huge delicious (and well-deserved me thinks!) dinner, and then sat on the couch with my head in a bottle of red wine and my race goodie bag! Happy days!

Previous PB's

Distance | Time | Event
    5k | 24:18 | Donore 17 May 2011
    10K | 54:03 | Dunshaughlin 26 June 2011
    5 miles | 42:21 | Dublin Race Series 16 July 2011
    10 miles | 1:29.08 | Dublin Race Series 21 August 2010 :o
    13.1 miles | 1:59.49 | Dublin Race Series 18 September 2010 :eek:
    26.2 miles | 3:53.30 | Dublin City Marathon 31 October 2011

And going forward....

Distance | Time | Event
    5k | x | X
    10K | x | X
    5 miles | 34:47 | Raheny 5 29 January 2012
    10 miles | x| X
    13.1 miles | x | X
    26.2 miles | x | X

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Pos[/B] 503 Pos M/F 52 Pos Cat 33

503rd overall, 52nd woman to finish, and 33rd WS (woman between 18 and 40), which is pretty spectacular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

McMillan gives you a 1'37 Half and a 3:24:37 Marathon based on yesterdays time. Just saying :pac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Fair Play girl. Think, we're going to see quiet a few PB's smashed to pieces this year on this log. Great going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

That's some PB claralara. You must be walking around on cloud nine today. Seriously well done but well deserved too :)

Advertisement