Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Multi quote man jeez

She scares me..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Great report. Great result too. It's the kind of result and report that spurs the rest of us mortals on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Fantastic run and and thoroughly enjoyable report. Well done CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Great log - great race report and a fantastic result. It just shows how hard work can pay off for those willing to put it in

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

She scares me..........

Orna is a bit of a witch alright. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Brilliant report and race - well done and well deserved!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

RQ gets a mention and I don't. Niiiiice. :rolleyes: It's an amazing achievement and not even close to the tip of the iceberg for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

jcsmum wrote: »
    RQ gets a mention and I don't. Niiiiice. :rolleyes: It's an amazing achievement and not even close to the tip of the iceberg for you.

Umm of course...RQ > jcsmum :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Inspiring stuff !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

The rate of improvement has been unreal, enjoyed the read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LloydChristmas

Claralara, not sure if you have already posted, but was there a specific marathon plan that you followed or was it purely whatever your coach recomended?

[Your log is quite long and I don't want to scroll through all of it :)]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Claralara, not sure if you have already posted, but was there a specific marathon plan that you followed or was it purely whatever your coach recomended?

[Your log is quite long and I don't want to scroll through all of it :)]

Was a special plan, she couldn't hack P&D ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

blockic wrote: »
    Was a special plan, she couldn't hack P&D ;)

That may be true, but at least she has a 100% completion record over 26.2 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I wonder did she have to go for a lie-down half an hour after her first sub-3 as well? Doubt it.. Seems better fit to run long distance as well as handle the drink.. Looking forward to this big 5k showdown in a couple of weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Peckham wrote: »
    That may be true, but at least she has a 100% completion record over 26.2 miles.
    I wonder did she have to go for a lie-down half an hour after her first sub-3 as well? Doubt it.. Seems better fit to run long distance as well as handle the drink.. Looking forward to this big 5k showdown in a couple of weeks..

Wind up merchants! Damn you all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Hi claralara

I've only recently begun to read your log and the transformation from drunken cyclist to a sub 3 marathon runner is nothing short of astounding. Could you give me some nutritional tips such as "is chocolate better with white or red wine"...... "does a slice of lime in the neck of a Corona count as one of your 5-a-day"....... "which has the more complex carbs, Tayto or King".....??

Thanks,

Di-Guns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Well done CL. The photos of you coming up Clare St said it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Thanks guys - anyone know is it possible to multi-quote in mobile form? Want to post some replies but might have to wait until Im at the aule computer later.

In other news - It's still 5 days from November 11th and i just ran... 50metres for the bus. (Total coincidence that I happened to have taken my brand new kinvaras out of the box to break them in. They felt lovely btw!) :) I guess it's a sign that I might be starting to miss running though; the bus driver laughed as he pointed out the lights were red and there were 3 more buses behind him... :-/

claralara wrote: »
    Thanks guys - anyone know is it possible to multi-quote in mobile form? Want to post some replies but might have to wait until Im at the aule computer later.

In other news - It's still 5 days from November 11th and i just ran... 50metres for the bus. (Total coincidence that I happened to have taken my brand new kinvaras out of the box to break them in. They felt lovely btw!) :) I guess it's a sign that I might be starting to miss running though; the bus driver laughed as he pointed out the lights were red and there were 3 more buses behind him... :-/

Don't worry, I won't tell coach you broke out into a fully fledged fitness walk last night. All you were missing were the 2 x 250 ml bottles of water to tone your arms........ ;)

claralara wrote: »
    (Total coincidence that I happened to have taken my brand new kinvaras out of the box to break them in. They felt lovely btw!) :) . :-/

Said Kinvaras seemingly bought by accident!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Finally that massive sportsdirect mug came in useful ;) Great running girl, you looked as if you were in cruise control on Nassau St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

That was a great read. Well done, super running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

That was a fairly epic report CL. I started on it just after you posted and I'm just finished now. I missed a few days work but hey, these are the sacrifices you have to make. That must be an amazing feeling to finish top 10 in the DCM:eek:. Really looking forward to seeing how you progress from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Finally getting caught up here....and as always, crazy-awesome running by you followed by an even crazier-awsomeier report by you. :D Wonderful seeing you in Dublin....and you looked, um, quite "happy" at McGrattans, which shows that you train hard, race hard, and play hard!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Hi CL, Just read your race report...your an inspiration!! congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

'member CL used to post here before she became famous.........................

'member CL used to post here before she became famous.........................

She'll be back when she's fulfilled her meejia commitments ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well what a year 2013 was...there were 4 house moves, 2 jobs, 2 intense marathon training cycles, PBs over every distance raced including the Beer Mile, a handful of horrible ‘character building’ and failed PB attempts, tonnes of both easy and hard miles, several road trips, 1 mild bout of lady flu, 0 injuries of note (once I’d recovered from December 2012’s lay-off) thank goodness!, 7 pairs of Kinvaras (all now pretty much run into the ground), 1 pair of Virratas (also now run into oblivion) and a rake of other mind numbing and useless facts and figures!

The big goal for 2013 was the sub-3 marathon which I achieved in October in DCM (some of you are probably still in a coma from reading that race report!). I had been warned during DCM training that I wasn’t going to be allowed to run an inch for 2 full weeks after the race. With my incessant nagging, the Manager begged the Coach to let me out for a few miles after 12 days and I was back on the road with some very very easy tester miles. Since then, I’ve been building back up steadily; mostly easy miles (with the odd bit of Fartlek or Parkrun thrown in here and there). The weekly mileage has increased sensibly (27, 36.5, 43, 54, 42, 70, 58.5 and on into this week in which I ran the DCM route on New Years Eve and thought it a very poignant way to end the year! I’m feeling good apart from some tightness in the glutes and lower back. That can be attributed to a number of things including the house move in December and the fact that I have been very bold and not foam rolled, stretched or done any core or strength work in over 2 months... Along with having a clean January, getting that side of my training in order has to be a priority in order that 2014 can be half as successful as 2013.

I know there are some questions on my log about my plans and my training which I haven’t replied to and I promise to do so over the next few days. The immediate to medium-term goal has been set and I’ll post on that in due course too. Now that I am of a fixed abode and have the comfort of a renewed position in work, I can set about getting back into my routine. I’m a planner (just in case you hadn’t noticed) and already have separate 2014 wall planners and appointment calendars on the wall in the kitchen, a monthly planner on the wall in the spare room and the 2014 pages in my filofax! We’ve also availed of this wonderful hi speed wireless interweb contraption which means that catching up on logs and posting should no longer be a chore! I look forward to being back in the fold :) Gosh I’ve missed the routine!!

Thanks so much to everyone for all of the encouragement and support over the last year. It was extremely tough but extremely rewarding (and surprisingly fun at times too!)

Anyway, I just didn’t want to let today pass without throwing up a post and wishing you all a very happy and successful 2014 – may all of your running and real-life goals and wishes come through – I know we all do the hard work in training but it’s fair to say that a nice bit of luck is always helpful and welcome too :)

PS...Just in case anyone’s wondering, I haven’t quite decided what to rename the 2014 soon-to-be-recommissioned log yet. All in its own good time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

I've really enjoyed reading your log and it's amazing how far you've come since I ran with you in Marlay park a couple of years ago. Cant wait to see how you go in 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I've really enjoyed reading your log and it's amazing how far you've come since I ran with you in Marlay park a couple of years ago. Cant wait to see how you go in 2014.

So that was the secret to her success?!:P

Advertisement