Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bisexual men

Options
  • 02-01-2011 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ladies, would you ever date or have a relationship with a bisexual man? To put it more specifically, a bisexual man that states a greater preference for women over men? While I’m not going to claim that this is the most common archetype on the bisexual continuum, the bisexual women I have known in my life at least have stated a greater preference for men over women.

It seems most men would be open to dating and having relationships with women who identify as bisexual, but can the same be said when the genders are reversed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Good question. I don´t know the answer to that to be honest. I´ve never known any of the guys I was with to be bisexual but thinking about it,I don´t think I´d have any a problem with it but I honestly couldn´t say ´till it happened. I might have some dark prejudice tucked away somewhere that I´m not aware of.

On a related note, I live with a girl from Canada who would be quite conservative in many ways (she comes from a very traditional Greek background in Canada) and she´s been going out with a guy for over a year. Before she met him, I hung out with him a few times and he told me pretty nonchalantly that he was bisexual...but he hasn´t told my housemate! We were friends before we moved in together and I feel bad knowing this piece of info that could actually make or break them (I could be wrong...just a gut instinct). Do you think she has a right to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Good question. I don´t know the answer to that to be honest. I´ve never known any of the guys I was with to be bisexual but thinking about it,I don´t think I´d have any a problem with it but I honestly couldn´t say ´till it happened. I might have some dark prejudice tucked away somewhere that I´m not aware of.

On a related note, I live with a girl from Canada who would be quite conservative in many ways (she comes from a very traditional Greek background in Canada) and she´s been going out with a guy for over a year. Before she met him, I hung out with him a few times and he told me pretty nonchalantly that he was bisexual...but he hasn´t told my housemate! We were friends before we moved in together and I feel bad knowing this piece of info that could actually make or break them (I could be wrong...just a gut instinct). Do you think she has a right to know?

That's a good question. Do you think you have the right to out him to her, though? I can appreciate your dillema. Perhaps you should raise it with him. Being Bi can be difficult to drop into the converstaion at the start of dating and then it can become an issue for not saying it. Ask him if she knows and has he thought about telling her. There could be good reasons he hasn't yet that aren't about deceiving her.

In response to the thread question:I'd have no problem, in fact it would be an ideal for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

It's a weird one. I suppose it really shouldn't matter, the guy likes girls and lads, and that's that. I have kissed a guy, and then my gay pal turns and says "Oh yeah, I slept with him!". It weirded me out a little bit, but we went on a few dates and had fun, the reason it didn't work out had nothing to do with the fact that he was bi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Well I can only say my experience with this issue, and my curent long term girlfriend identifies as bisexual, but leaning more towards girls than guys. At the start it weirded me out- I've never gone further than kissing with a guy- but now it only bothers me every now and again, usually when I'm having a bad day anyway and tbh her talking about anyone other than me would make me yell at her... ;) Ocassionally, when I don't know the guy she's talking about/ working with on aproject/ hanging out with I get a bit "oh, and who is he, exactly????" but then I cop myself on and realise that she's with me 7 years now, so it's not exactly a phase on her way back to boy town. :P

I never really worry about her leaving me for a woman- what woman could be better than me? :p But sometimes i do wonder... what if she misses it? But hey, that's what certain implements in Anne Summers are for! :D

I guess the main thing to remember is just because someone is bi that doesn't automatically mean they want both at once. The idea that all bi girls want threesomes is rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I would - and have - dated men who have identified as bi. I'm mostly attracted to men - but not exclusively - so it would be kind of hypocritical of me to write off a relationship based on someone else doing like-wise. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

It really wouldn't bother me at all.

I know some people who have said they wouldn't because a bisexual person is twice as likely to cheat on them. I've had trouble not rolling my eyes at that attitude. If you're going into a relationship worried that someone is going to cheat on you, then I would be inclined to think that your own insecurities are the problem, not the other person or their sexuality.

Some of my female friends find the idea of their oh's having been with other men distasteful which is fair enough I suppose. Wouldn't bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

I would, I don't think it's a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

i have (pretty casually) dated a couple of bi guys. well actually, it's not even really my place to label them as bi, but i knew they had slept with guys in the past. doesn't bother me at all.

in fact if i was seeing a guy, i would feel somewhat less hurt if they fancied/flirted with or left me for another guy than a girl!

but overall it wouldn't make a difference to me... when they're with me, that's all that matters, not who they've been with in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

No way! That would just freak me out. I think it must be very confusing to be a young male these days, it seems to be popular to be gay/bi. Fashion for men seems to be very feminine lately, I could never go out with a guy who wore skinny jeans! Ugh! Don't get me wrong, I'm not homophobic, a few of my best friends since childhood are gay/lesbian, but personally, I like my men to be manly men! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have gone out with a bisexual guy. Hell, I even identified myself as bisexual for years. Guess I still do. Actually I don't really understand the sexual orientation thing. For me your attracted to someone or not :/ But that's a whole different story!

Anyway no, wouldn't bother me. But a lot of people I know would be bothered by it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

MeerKat17 wrote: »
    No way! That would just freak me out. I think it must be very confusing to be a young male these days, it seems to be popular to be gay/bi. Fashion for men seems to be very feminine lately, I could never go out with a guy who wore skinny jeans! Ugh! Don't get me wrong, I'm not homophobic, a few of my best friends since childhood are gay/lesbian, but personally, I like my men to be manly men! :)

I don't really get where you're coming from with this. Bi (or gay or whatever else) doesn't equal camp. You can be bi and still be manly.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

For me, I think it would just depend on attraction for me, if I liked the guy and was attracted to him, then I wouldn't care if he was bi, as long as he was interested in me. The only person who should matter is the person you are in the relationship with at the time, not whoever they slept with in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

I don't really get where you're coming from with this. Bi (or gay or whatever else) doesn't equal camp. You can be bi and still be manly.

I guess thats fair enough, I just don't like the thought of a guy I'm with being with another man.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

it seems to be popular to be gay/bi.
    It's more that gay/bi men feel ready to come out at an earlier age these days, rather than feeling that they had to hide as they used to not so very long ago.

On the related note that hasn't really been touched upon, it really isn't anyo es place to out someone, and by telling your friend the guy she's seeing is bi, then that's what you're doing. Think of something very personal that you might want to keep from a partner until you're sure of the relationship, and then imagine your friend tellig someone about it behind your back. It will never end well. The guy will rightfully be annoyed you disclosed his orientation, and the girl will have heard a 'fact' without Any possibility for discussion with the source etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

zoegh wrote: »
    On the related note that hasn't really been touched upon, it really isn't anyo es place to out someone, and by telling your friend the guy she's seeing is bi, then that's what you're doing. Think of something very personal that you might want to keep from a partner until you're sure of the relationship, and then imagine your friend tellig someone about it behind your back. It will never end well. The guy will rightfully be annoyed you disclosed his orientation, and the girl will have heard a 'fact' without Any possibility for discussion with the source etc.

No, your right, their relationship is their business and I wouldn't dream of telling her anyway but I find it awkward knowing something that's more her business than mine. They've been going out over a year now though...they're both 40 and they're talking marriage and kids. She wants to get proposed to in the next year. I'm just curious as to how she would take it...she's shockingly conservative on so many issues.

well the thing is perhaps his bisexuality is not an issue anymore- as in, he slept with guys in the past, but this is the present? Would you expect everyone to come clean about every single relationship they ever had before getting into a commited relationship? I mean if the positions were reversed I'm pretty sure I'd have way more reservations about a girl who had slept with loads of guys and couldn't remember half of them than one who had a few relationships with both genders... I get what you mean, and it does put you in a weird position, like what if you blurt out something about one of his male exes during a storytelling type night? That would be my main concern i think...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

How does it matter what his sexual orientation is?? He's going out with her and committed to her, what he told you may have changed! He may no longer be attracted to men!

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest, it would be slightly hypocritical of me... Sexual orientation is confusing and it's a persons choice who they do or don't tell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Sorry to mention the elephant in the room...

The fact that he is bisexual greatly increases his chance of having a fatal STI.

I'm assuming you all get your partners tested for STIs before you have latex free relations with them? :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm assuming you all get your partners tested for STIs before you have latex free relations with them? :)
    Both partners taking a test for STIs before putting the condoms away is simply common sense...

• Advertisement

Both partners taking a test for STIs before putting the condoms away is simply common sense...

How many couples actually do this though? I'll take a guess and say hardly any.

But I agree it should be common sense.

FYI

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/msm/index.htm

Quick summary:

"In 2007, men who have sex with men were 44 to 86 times as likely to be diagnosed with HIV compared with other men".

Sorry to mention the elephant in the room...

The fact that he is bisexual greatly increases his chance of having a fatal STI.

A fact is it? Because we all know that bisexuals are more promiscuous and never parctice safe sex.

I hate to break it to you, but that's nothing more then a stereotype.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    A fact is it? Because we all know that bisexuals are more promiscuous and never parctice safe sex.

I hate to break it to you, but that's nothing more then a stereotype.

You are wrong.

The numbers don't lie. Please see my previous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I wouldnt have a problem with it,but wouldnt want him asking me to go three ways so he could get with another person.Especially someone i love no sharing with male or female other wise relationship over.
    If he was bisexual,would mean him having to swear off men for good and ofc other women.

Although some women would love that to have two men and some men would love to have two women.So better to find someone with like ideas if the person who is bisexual wants to be able to sleep with his gf and a man.

You are wrong.

The numbers don't lie. Please see my previous post.
    I'm bisexual, and I'm not promiscuous, at all. So to apply that thinking to me would be very wrong.

Your previous post refers to men that sleep with other men, not an exclusively bisexual group. Just becuase this man is bisexual it does not mean, as a fact, that he is riddled with stds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

FYI

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/msm/index.htm

Quick summary:

"In 2007, men who have sex with men were 44 to 86 times as likely to be diagnosed with HIV compared with other men".

44 to 86 times as likely? What a bizarrely broad spread.

As I don't live in the states, I'm not sure what relevance your US specific stats have to this discussion? :confused:

Regardless - men and women can carry STI's, safe sex and health checks are not just pertinent to bi-men, surely that's just common sense?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I'm bisexual, and I'm not promiscuous, at all. So to apply that thinking to me would be very wrong.

Your previous post refers to men that sleep with other men, not an exclusively bisexual group. Just becuase this man is bisexual it does not mean, as a fact, that he is riddled with stds.

I never said you don't use condoms.

But the facts are clear: men who have sex with men are way more likely to be HIV+.

Pretending otherwise is dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Oh so do I! A bisexual guy... Mmm dunno... Can't he catch cooties off a girl???

• Advertisement

44 to 86 times as likely? What a bizarrely broad spread.

As I don't live in the states, I'm not sure what relevance your US specific stats have to this discussion? :confused:

Regardless - men and women can carry STI's, safe sex and health checks are not just pertinent to bi-men, surely that's just common sense?

I can get you the Irish statistics if you want. They follow a similar trend.

I agree safe sex should be common sense, but it obviously isn't for many people. (For example, we've had a chlamydia epidemic in Europe for about three decades).

Advertisement