Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone out fly fishing?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

what colour wooly bugger aidan?
    aidanf wrote: »
    Got out for the day today to a small mountain lake that is stocked annually by the local club. Caught 3 nice rainbows in the 2-3lb range, 2 to bloodworm and 1 to a wooly bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

TimMac wrote: »
    what colour wooly bugger aidan?

It was red. I tried olive and yellow too but got the take on the red one.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

how much is it to fish ballyhass lakes and what flys would work for me

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Give Tom a ring in Ballyhass. He will tell you the exact fly to use and he may have a few in the shop.. (0)22 27773

If no surface activity I would be looking a lures using a DI5 or DI7!!

Try a Grey Minkey..

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ballyhass-Lakes/125450137535

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Couldn't waste a day like today so got out for my first cast of the year. Water was like ice and there wasnt a trout rising. Nice to feel the sun on my face tho as I waded down the river. Will leave the river be for another few weeks and might go stockie bashing in the meantime.

I did find out to my massive discomfort that my waders have a fine big hole in them at the groin. :eek::(

Had to be discreet about taking them off when i got back to the car :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Hit the river today first time to wet a line since Oct. The sun was a bonus the water was cold but nymphing produced 9 brownies over 5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Heading to Cloghan on Saturday, can't frickin wait!!!! Just need to feel a pull on the line, okay feck it, I need to catch loadsa fiiiiiish!!!! :)

No plans to hit the rivers until the 17th March so I might head to Rathcon on Sunday..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Hit maynooth today for 3 hours. Nothin, well missed a take on a buzzer but not much else happening. Was bloody freezing too!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gashead

Was in Garryhill, Carlow today. Had about 15 fish in three hours. Best was about 5lbs. First time there. Very friendly place and had a good time. Thanks to Experimenter as I read his blog before I went and his fly for the month was on the nail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Was fishing today but caught nothing ,but the main reason I am posting is when I was fishing there was two young lads fishing and they were fishing with a bubble and about 20 flies tied to it.Is this legal to do ?

gashead wrote: »
    Was in Garryhill, Carlow today. Had about 15 fish in three hours. Best was about 5lbs. First time there. Very friendly place and had a good time. Thanks to Experimenter as I read his blog before I went and his fly for the month was on the nail.

Happy to help, due a visit but I need to bring herself so that she can learn to cast etc..

Was in Rathcon today, quite cold but manged 5 on lures..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Snowc wrote: »
    Was fishing today but caught nothing ,but the main reason I am posting is when I was fishing there was two young lads fishing and they were fishing with a bubble and about 20 flies tied to it.Is this legal to do ?

The tangles will teach them soon enough .... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I fished Rathbeggan for a few hours yesterday. Had gone to Maynooth but there was a competition on. Anyway, staff were friendly but there were about 50 twats running around with airsoft guns making the kind of racket that just ruins a day fishing. Didnt stir a fish, barely saw any rises, got cold and airsoft racket.....:(. Methinks a swap for live ammo is needed!!!
    Not really my cup of tea tbh. I wanted to enjoy it but just couldn't.

Oh, you can only fish one lake there now. There were people bait fishing on the trout lake. The lad on the reception reckons people were just stuffing their bags with fish when they fish the bottom lake. Shame, as it looked like a nicer lake too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

rathbeggan is only worth fishing during the week if at all. I started off there, and ive always had a good few fish there, but Dont hink i'd ever go back now. The place just doenst know what it is any more. Its basically a family fun park. Paddle boats on the "fly" lake and all. Plus, countless times i've seen foreign nationals stuffing their bags with every fish they catch. Even saw one lad throwing a line out with about 20 hooks on it. Outrageous stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fish boy

thehamo wrote: »
    rathbeggan is only worth fishing during the week if at all. I started off there, and ive always had a good few fish there, but Dont hink i'd ever go back now. The place just doenst know what it is any more. Its basically a family fun park. Paddle boats on the "fly" lake and all. Plus, countless times i've seen foreign nationals stuffing their bags with every fish they catch. Even saw one lad throwing a line out with about 20 hooks on it. Outrageous stuff.

I started there myself and used to go twice a week. I went up there three times last year to fish and left without wetting a line. I witnessed the same carryon.
    Guys drinking cans of beer, stuffing bags with fish and even saw one guy fishing with a beach caster and of course his tripod!
    Another decided to wade in his shorts!
    Crazy stuff never again.
    I agree it has been turned into a Fun Park!

Advertisement