Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone out fly fishing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

when is maynooth open again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

when is maynooth open again
    Its open, the winter league competition is there tomorrow.

AH great news. is that comp open to non members? whats story with it?;):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Jeez, why don't they advertise the competitions or are these only closed events!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭gary29428

Thinking of giving either Lough Aisling or Curragh Springs a go tomorrow. I have not fished either before, just wondering which would be best or is it just to cold for rainbows and I should go for pike.

Any advise appriciated, not often I get a day during the week.

Ta

• Advertisement

Never too cold to fish for rainbows.....

There's quite a few reports on the web about both fisheries..

You could try an intermediate line and lures, something like a damsel or minky..

Or a floating line with a team of buzzers and bloodworm..

I am going to fish at the weekend, I would like to try Lough Aisling, not sure yet..

Have a look here http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/?p=1243 but the weather conditions & temps were totally different from what they are now.

Let us know how you got on, you might post a report!

Are the trout in Curragh Springs Triploids, if not they are probably getting ready to spawn and cen get a bit out of condition.

I have no idea..

Jeez, why don't they advertise the competitions or are these only closed events!! :(

AH great news. is that comp open to non members? whats story with it?;):):)

Last weeks competition was the Southside anglers winter league but there's another competition on this sunday open to anyone (I think). You can get the details from them on 0876103804.
    I must ask them if i can have a discount for plugging them here:D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

@ gary, Curragh Springs has Triploid Rainbow trout.
    wgsten

• Advertisement

any more info on lyreen comp guys, sounds like good craic, might give it a go..... any idea of normal format etc.. thanks

ps heard that rainbows will not feed below 5 degrees, but dont believe it myself.

lyreen comp?????

lyreen comp?????

Maynooth fishery is the same as lyreen fishery,

lyreen river runs next to fishery

Ok, any details on the competition?

ha ha guy thats what i was asking guy, anyone ??????:)

AFAIK the comp this weekend is a heat of their own annual winter league competition, not the Inter club Winter League, and one of the prizes is a years membership. Can't remember what else is up for grabs but there were a good few decent enough prizes. There were places left today anyway. Give Darren the owner a ring, 0876103804, he'll fill you in. Real sound chap too.

Thanks for link experimenter, didnt know they were on facebook.

Does that mean non members can take park part daroxeter??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well i'm not a member and i'm taking part. For anyone looking out for me I'll be the lad getting all the fish tangles :D

ha ha ........:D:D:D
    will give darren a ring in morning me self,

whats the entrance fee guy??

• Advertisement

Jesus, i forgot to ask, i think its €20 but i might be wrong on that.

I will drop him an email and will attend on Sunday if there are places left..

Forecast cool.gif is good this weekend, anyone any plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Ye its 20 euro
    I think.

well any reports from maynooth lads?????????????

18 fish caught, the winner got 4, 2 lads got 3 each and the rest were single fish and a good few lads drew a blank, as far as i can recall. Buzzers and blobs seemed to be doing the trick.
    I caught a couple of really hard fighting weeds and i hooked the bank but it got away:o.
    Still, it wasn't a bad day out of the house

Fair play for giving it a go, water must be really icy still. Hoping to fish corrib on first few opening days, must get practice in before then.

There was a bit of ice down one end of the lake alright but they did a good job of clearing it yeaterday. My hands were perished for the first hour but no harm, its january :) .
    I'll give it a go again in a few weeks when the next round is on.

any date for the next heat yet.................? must give it a go

• Advertisement

I fished Curragh Springs for a few hours last Thurs. Lovely spot, talk about a lotto job, the guy takes 10 steps from his front door and he has a beautiful lake full of quality rainbows. You can imagine my shock when he said he hardly ever throws a line himself... Anyway I fishes buzzers for about 4hrs, half the lake was frozen, however the owner Shaun did spend some time breaking up the ice with a boat. I had 13 takes and landed 6 fish, best about 6lb, missed an unusual number of fish and broke in one. They were hitting quite hard and I would have expected to land more then 6 from 13 takes but that's fishing. I went down from Galway and it took just over 2hrs so not to bad. The owner Shaun (sound lad) asked me to put up a map to the fishery which I will do later. Overall a classy fishery, probably not for you if you are an out and out stockie basher, you will probably only land 25 fish on a red letter day here but they are class fish and pull like f**k.

Advertisement