Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone out fly fishing?

Options
  • 28-12-2010 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has been out fly fishing since the snow has disappeared... Quite a difference in temps since last week and I am hoping to do a bit this week... either Rathcon, Aishling or some where different....

Got a few bits over the Xmas and looking to try them out...;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

I have not been fishing since the end of Nov. I will be heading out tomorrow to the Curragh Springs Fishery. I was talking with the fishery manager Shaun this morning. He said the fishery is fully open and gave good reports of some nice fish been taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

i was out todays and got 8 rainbows it was great for 2hours as they usually hard to catch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Where were you? I was going to hit Maynooth but Darren told me there was still 2 inches of ice on the surface. Might try Lough Ashling tomorrow if its open. Anyone know?

I have not heard whether Aishling is open or not. You can ring the owner Joe to check it out. His ph. no. is 086-8714020.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I might try Ballyhass tomorrow since I am in limerick at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

i was in ulster but there was no ice and it was froze tight two days previous

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

I was thinking of doing the same heading up to the munster game tomorrow, any tips experimenter I have never fished there before?
    I might try Ballyhass tomorrow since I am in limerick at the moment.

Sure Tim.. didn't get to go today, but if they are open tomorrow, I might pop down for half day's fishing...

See my comments here.....

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056130935

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Enjoy it lads if ye hit Ballyhass. I'm jealous. Prob be another few months for me before a fly is thrown :(

Went to Ballyhass today, tough days fishing as the lake was flat calm.

As a breeze came up on the lake, fishing improved...

If anyone is ever going, it's better to hit this lake as early as possible in the morning for maximum results..

A grey minky worked today, this is a variant of the one I was using..

T4852Minky.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I spent a few hours in Maynooth yesterday, didn't catch any, missed one on a damsel nymph. Nice to get out for a few hours all the same though.

A few guys there caught some on orange boobies fished on the bottom and some other nymphs. The lads had spent the previous day breaking the ice and while there was ice still there 3/4 of the lake was fishable.

I fished on the Curragh Springs on the last day of 2010. Spent a few hours there with surprising results. I have posted a full report here : http://bit.ly/gAxyNS

I fished Ballyhass on Sunday...Fishing was hard as the lake was flat calm, caught 8 fish on the main lake at Ballyhass Lake, North Cork using the fly below..a goldhead damsel nymph... other anglers were fishing bloodworms on midge tip lines...Temp was about 3~4 degress C. Hope to visit again on the last weekend in Janurary as I am in County Limerick that weekend.. Folks at Ballyhass are dead sound there and more than happy to help out...

5320868099_ee3e9357e5_b.jpg

5321470846_661980912e_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TrimTOODLE

Was thinking of fishing it later in the week, a full day costs €30 and boat hire is €20.. but how long is a full day session?

9am until darkness...

Tom Loftus is the fishery Manager and will advise you on what you use on the day, flies, methods etc...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ballyhass-Lakes/125450137535?v=info

Make sure you bring a Di3 or Di7 sinking line...also a floating line if using bloodworms, buzzers..

Enjoy and let us know how you got on..

The plan is to go to Lough Aisling for a hours tomorrow morning...

Hopefully the weather will stay somewhat reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I fished Curragh Springs today got a few nice fish mostly on bloodworms, and lost what i'd say was a great fish after it broke a 6lb leader, so quickly changed to a 8lb leader, cant say enough good things about the place Shaun who owns it is a great guy he cleared a lot of ice for us after we called to ask if it was fishable, i'm looking forward to fishing it again soon

Curragh Springs is on my hit list as I have yet to fish it, maybe next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Curragh Springs is on my hit list as I have yet to fish it, maybe next month.

its one not to miss great fighting fish there compared to any other rainbow fishery i have fished

Roads were lethal so I didn't venture to Offaly, instead I went to local Garryhill..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Hi Folks,

Thinking of heading to Curragh Springs tomorrow, weather looks to be good so may as well throw my hand at it.

Does anyone know where I can get directions? or would anyone have directions?

Thanks

is this of any help?

20euro half-day[4 hours] and 30euro full day.9am till dark.
    10euro half-day for under 16 and 15euro full-day. The fish have been in the lake for over 6 years.
    Address is Ballysax,The Curragh,Co.Kildare - two minutes drive from the Curragh Army Camp. From the motorway go through the Curragh Camp,turn left at the crossroads with the pub on the corner take the second right turn and the fishery is five hundred yards on the right hand side.

Contact Shaun on tel:087-2462028

Good luck tomorrow. Maybe you might post a few lines on your return, with a bit of report as to how you got on. Tight lines.

Perfect!!!

Thanks a mil, looking forward to it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Rang maynooth and they were kinda closed.

So Went out to Curragh Springs today. Lovely place, though could do with a club house, but thats neither here nor there. Got talking to the owner Shaun, very personable guy and took a genuine interest in how I was getting on.

Anyways, the fishing. Lets just say it was one of those days:mad: Spent about an hour fishing a few different lures around the bank using a sinking line at various different depths, but alas nothing. There were a good few rises on the surface, so I decided to fish a dry on a floating line with a dropper. I go talking to another guy who was there and said he was having good success with a black buzzer so I tried that as the dropper. After about half an hour, I moved over to a bloodworm as the dropper but still nothing. :( The other lad that was there was doing quite well though, I think his total for the day was about 20. My luck wasnt as fortunate tho. Decided to move around to the bank side where he was fishing and on my first cast my goddam road snapped in 2:mad: Shaun was kind enough to offer me a lend of a rod, and after about 15 minutes setting up with a team of buzzers, mad my way back down to the bank. Low and behold, on my first cast, my leader got stuck in a tree. Line snapped and buzzers gone.

I knew it was my time to call it a day!!!!! So im sad to say I didnt have the good fortune to post success stories like the rest about here, though judging on the fish I saw being caught, i'l definately be back (when I can afford a new rod :()

Jeez lad, that's tough going, sorry to hear about your rod..... I know how frustrating it can be when catching nothing or even turning a fish for that matter, it's happen to me on several occasions in the past.

Can I ask were you using mono or flurocarbon leader?

I was never an expert or don't claim to be on fly fishing but I have learned allot over the last while, what with doing a bit of research on the internet and the odd magazine about techniques, tactics etc..

There should be a few reviews on the web about trips to Curragh Springs.

For me there's certain flies that should always pull a fish, something like a beaded damsel nymph..

I see a few cheap rods on ebay Ireland..

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Shakespeare-96-Odyssey-Fly-Fishing-Rod-/380300327422?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item588baa79fe#ht_540wt_877

http://cgi.ebay.ie/5-brand-new-fishing-rods-Bargain-/270689334312?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item3f06577428#ht_500wt_949

Hope you are back out on the lakes soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭leoch

hi all i was thinking of buying an elec motor i know nothing about them so wat size would i go for ,it will be used on a 18ft burke on a rainbow lake that dosent allow petrol motors its not the biggest lake. Isee them on the internet and they talk about 30lb and 40lb thrust.i wouldnt need anything overly expensive wat they normally go for? thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

leoch wrote: »
    hi all i was thinking of buying an elec motor i know nothing about them so wat size would i go for ,it will be used on a 18ft burke on a rainbow lake that dosent allow petrol motors its not the biggest lake. Isee them on the internet and they talk about 30lb and 40lb thrust.i wouldnt need anything overly expensive wat they normally go for? thanks all

elec engines are great they are very handy i would not go out without one, but be sure to get a good heavy duty leisure battery for whichever one you buy. the engine i use is minn kota 50lb and cant fault it. for smaller lakes a smaller engine may suffice.

leoch if you could start a new thread that you be great, and try and keep this one for fishing outings reports etc. Just a suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 corkagh park fishery

Entry to Corkagh Park midweek for the month of January is via the office at the caravan park. The fishery office at the lakes is open at the weekend. Fish are being caught on fritzes and damsel nymphs, or anything with tail action in the main.

Advertisement