Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone out fly fishing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Gary,

What was your buzzer setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

I asked Shaun to show me the deepest part of the lake that was fishable (some ice around), he put me in 20feet of water so I set up with 4 buzzers on a 20foot leader. He said most of the fish were grown on in the lake so I used imitative patterns that work for me on Corrib (sizes 12&14). Caught mostly on the third fly down which you would expect given the depth of water I was fishing. He said lads were catching on bloodworms but I stuck to the buzzers as they were working. I would expect the same team of flies to produce a good bag out of there in warmer conditions, I'll probably head back there next month when the temp gets up a bit.

Hi Gary,

Thanks, sounds like you had a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Anyone know if it's worth fly fishing for pike this early in the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

gary29428 wrote: »
    you will probably only land 25 fish on a red letter day here but they are class fish and pull like f**k.

Only 25? The only time i caught 25 they were mackerel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

got out today....... Rathbeggan for two hours. landed two lost two, all on flexi bloodworm. lures were useless. good craic though.:):)

I didn't mean to appear blasé about catching 25 but having got so many takes at a time when the water temp was so low and there being no insect life in the water I reakon it would be a resonable target. That said I could just as easily blank next time down there. But I do fish a lot of these put and take fisheries and you do get a handle on how to catch rainbows. A group of us have been going to Rutland for years and generally what works in one spot will prob pull rainbows in most spots. Take Laois angling center, I'm going down there in a few weeks and would consider 70-90 fish in a day a resonable target such is the stocking level in the lake. I have done over 100 down there when they are on, and there is a lot of lads who are capable of putting up that number. Having said that the tactics are a little more rainbowish down in Laois, there is a bit more fluff and flash, at Curragh they were definitly more tuned in. As I said in my original report you do need to adopt a more wild fish mentality there. I did try some of the flashy stuff down there as a matter of interest but they were not having it. Shaun the owner said there are a few regular's who can catch 20 fish in a few hours at Curragh no problem.

got out today....... Rathbeggan for two hours. landed two lost two, all on flexi bloodworm. lures were useless. good craic though.:):)

Did you just use a floating line on that flexi or did you sink it?

used a floating line and 12 ft 6lb leader. greased line with ledasink, flexi bloodworm only worked on point, so fish were deep. tried eggs, lures, buzzers, not even a pull on them.. !!!! bloodworm static was only fly:)

Yep I agree a static bloodworm can be lethal...

My favorite is the Apps..

Apps%20Bloodworm%20Red.jpg

• Advertisement

Daroxtar wrote: »
    18 fish caught, the winner got 4, 2 lads got 3 each and the rest were single fish and a good few lads drew a blank, as far as i can recall. Buzzers and blobs seemed to be doing the trick.
    I caught a couple of really hard fighting weeds and i hooked the bank but it got away:o.
    Still, it wasn't a bad day out of the house

I got this email today from Lyreem Angling Centre..

"just to let you all know that the 3rd heat of the Lyreem Angling Centre winter league will be held on Sunday the 20th of Feb' 2011, the usual thing peg draw between 10am & 10.30am and start fishing 11am. The final of the winter league will be held on sunday the 6th March, any body wanting a place in the 3rd heat can contact us by reply (lyreenanglingcentre@yahoo.co.uk) or on 016293202"

I dropped into Lough Aisling yesterday for 2 hours on my way home from work. It was seriously hard going with the wind, stuck the fly in myself for good measure, but I caught 2 nice trout around the 2.5 lb mark so it was worth it.

what set up, flies were you using mate.???

Caught one on a Damsel nymph and the other on a minky.

Got in to Lyreen yesterday for a few hours. Christening the new reel. Caught 3 and turned about half a dozen all in a 20 minute spell. Great craic :)

Have a day off on Friday and am going fishing somewhere, Corrib still a bit cold so will head to a fishery. Anybody fish Curragh, Aisling or anywhere else recently.

Thanks

Did you hear any reports from corrib mate....??

Can only comment on the mid and lower lake. There's a few fish being caught on the troll (one of the lads had a 5lb fish yesterday). Brother was casting on Friday and had 2 and lost one. Lads that were casting yesterday met a fish but landed none. Water is still very cold and bit high for the time of year. Flies that have been working were fiery brown dabbler and an extractor, fished in around rocks but out of any flow. The cold nights will not help this week but as soon the temp rises the fly fishing will pick up.

I was at Lough Ashling yesterday, landed and returned about 12 fish.. Conditions were very windy from the NW and about 8-10C..

Duckfly will be slow too I suppose.. Prob apr 1st before it starts

• Advertisement

What were you killin on Experimenter.

Coolhandspan, I'd expect the duckfly to start in or around the same as last year, first hatches we seen was on March 22nd. The previous year was March 12th, I have diary's going back 12yrs and it's always in or around March 20-24th. I hope it's not late, usually means it will be short. Still at least the olives will be soon after that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MorganG831

I've caught six fish after the snow, the snow killed quite a few of em o-0

What were you killin on Experimenter.

Coolhandspan, I'd expect the duckfly to start in or around the same as last year, first hatches we seen was on March 22nd. The previous year was March 12th, I have diary's going back 12yrs and it's always in or around March 20-24th. I hope it's not late, usually means it will be short. Still at least the olives will be soon after that....

Usual black lures on a DI5 sinker and buzzers on a floater..

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

Can only comment on the mid and lower lake. There's a few fish being caught on the troll (one of the lads had a 5lb fish yesterday). Brother was casting on Friday and had 2 and lost one. Lads that were casting yesterday met a fish but landed none. Water is still very cold and bit high for the time of year. Flies that have been working were fiery brown dabbler and an extractor, fished in around rocks but out of any flow. The cold nights will not help this week but as soon the temp rises the fly fishing will pick up.

A very, very good fly;)... though normally one id leave for slightly warmer times

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

I did a bit on that stocked pond at hooked live and nothing doing the first day for either myself or the other lad with me and yesterday we caught ten between us on a black montana with a longer than normal tail and a bit of orange either side of the head with sinking line and about ten foot of mono leader.
    not one of them had a tag attached for winning a prize very suspicious

Went in to Maynooth yesterday for a couple of hours. Got 2 on buzzers, 1 on a minkie and a slab of a fish 23 inches long so I'm guessing around the 5-6 lb mark on a damsel nymph.

Just wondering where you can fish for 20, the few places I have been to all charge 30 for a day...

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Cloghan is €15 for the day and Joe at Aisling would usually only charge €20 for a 5/6hr day.

Just wondering where you can fish for 20, the few places I have been to all charge 30 for a day...
    Maynooth is €20, €15 for half day and a tenner for up to 3 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Got out for the day today to a small mountain lake that is stocked annually by the local club. Caught 3 nice rainbows in the 2-3lb range, 2 to bloodworm and 1 to a wooly bugger.

Advertisement