Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Rock & Metal Venue Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Passenger wrote: »
    Well I'm not sure about taking my custom to Fibber Magees. But as you said, I certainly won't be taking it to these "once a week Rock bars" who are generally full of posers and regular Joe's after the cheap sauce.

Well where else is there? If im in town and fancy a beer or two with the paper and maybe some jukebox tunes at say 4-5 of a weekday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

So why doesn't fibbers 2 just continue with a new manager?

So why doesn't fibbers 2 just continue with a new manager?

Seems like it will be soon. According to their facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Seems like it will be soon. According to their facebook page

That's Jason's Facebook page dude.. Sure Fibbers has a For Sale sign on the wall now..

This doesn't make much sense to me...the manager, (not the owner) left and now the place has to stop being a rock bar? Why doesn't the owner just hire a new manager?

• Advertisement

This doesn't make much sense to me...the manager, (not the owner) left and now the place has to stop being a rock bar? Why doesn't the owner just hire a new manager?

The Manager made it his own so to speak. He built it up, got the customers in the door, built the relationships with the Rock community. Maybe they decided he can't be replaced.

:)

The Manager made it his own so to speak. He built it up, got the customers in the door, built the relationships with the Rock community. Maybe they decided he can't be replaced.

:)

So am I to understand that he/it was in no way affiliated with the other Fibbers or it's owner(s)/manager(s)?

That's Jason's Facebook page dude.. Sure Fibbers has a For Sale sign on the wall now..

Ah.. Touché :o
    So am I to understand that he/it was in no way affiliated with the other Fibbers or it's owner(s)/manager(s)?

I think they must have been affiliated. Sure they shared a name, and logos, and even rotated bar staff from time to time.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Ah.. Touché :o

I think they must have been affiliated. Sure they shared a name, and logos, and even rotated bar staff from time to time.
    But now with the departure of the manager the whole place has to close?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

But now with the departure of the manager the whole place has to close?

There's GOT to be more to it than this, something behind the scenes has definately gone on

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    There's GOT to be more to it than this, something behind the scenes has definately gone on

I think so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Terrible shame about Fibbers,was the only decent Rock bar in Dublin imo. Sadly one of its main drawbacks was its location,i know of a number of people who thought it was too far down to walk to.

Never liked Gypsy Rose and the the likes of O'Reillys never had the same buzz. Bruxelles went to the dogs long ago,overpriced and full of posers.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

Havent been out to Bruxelles in ages, sad to hear its become a haven for posers and the like, also for Fibbers on the quay closing, was gonna take a mate on a tour of the rock/metal bars in dublin city centre tomorrow, but I guess it'll just be Fibbers and then the Button Factory for Hell and the metal dj. Which all things considered isnt too bad.

Also has noone mentioned The Pint on Eden quay? Its becoming quite the spot for metal these days! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

What's The Pint like on an average night?

I've been there a few times for gigs and for pre-gig pints and it's been good craic but was under the impression it was a normal boozer(no rockin' tunes over the PA) outside of them days.

lord lucan wrote: »
    What's The Pint like on an average night?

I've been there a few times for gigs and for pre-gig pints and it's been good craic but was under the impression it was a normal boozer(no rockin' tunes over the PA) outside of them days.

Aye, The Pint is just a regular pub. It's not a Rock bar. They just happen to have the odd Rock/Metal gig in the venue upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

hi all, anyone know what the decibel limits are at dublin’s rock/metal venues? and are there any venues left without ridiculously low limits or any limits at all? had a really bad experience recently at the button factory where a potentially good show was pretty much screwed up by far too low volume…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    hi all, anyone know what the decibel limits are at dublin’s rock/metal venues? and are there any venues left without ridiculously low limits or any limits at all? had a really bad experience recently at the button factory where a potentially good show was pretty much screwed up by far too low volume…

You were the guy moaning on MetalIreland about Ensiferum being too low I take it?

Any gig I've attended at the Button factory the sound has been usually pretty good. It's one of the better live venues in Dublin imo. Any discrepancies in sound at gigs can usually be attributed to the sound engineer as opposed to the venue PA.

Any gig I've attended at the Button factory the sound has been usually pretty good. It's one of the better live venues in Dublin imo. Any discrepancies in sound at gigs can usually be attributed to the sound engineer as opposed to the venue PA.

This. The Button Factory has always been great for sound and volume. If I'm right and this is the guy going on about Ensiferum being too low, it was fine. I was at Firewind in the same venue last week standing the same distance from the stage as I was for Ensiferum last week and Firewind's volume was ear shattering in terms of volume. It's my own fault I didn't wear earplugs but at times it was getting loud to the point of incoherence. Ensiferum on the otherhand, had the perfect amount of volume.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

Concerts are usually too loud and this causes ear ringing and permanent damage to ears. If you think the volume is too low you should clean your ears before a venue and stand next to the boxes.
    Other people want to keep their hearing. Thank you Button factory for not putting up the volume any louder as this would also greatly distort the otherwise perfect sound.

• Advertisement

I can only echo the above sentiments

After going to pretty much any gigs, for the next day my ears are ringing because the volume was so loud.

dude if you think its too quiet you are doing something epically wrong. Like standing in the wrong venue or something :P

This. The Button Factory has always been great for sound and volume. If I'm right and this is the guy going on about Ensiferum being too low, it was fine. I was at Firewind in the same venue last week standing the same distance from the stage as I was for Ensiferum last week and Firewind's volume was ear shattering in terms of volume. It's my own fault I didn't wear earplugs but at times it was getting loud to the point of incoherence. Ensiferum on the otherhand, had the perfect amount of volume.

yeah, i did indeed point out on mi that ensiferum was too low…three of us there and we all agreed…but of course, sound is perceived differently by different people and maybe i'm just a tad old-fashioned and out of touch with today’s health and safety obsessed world in thinking that metal should be played loud…
    so i’ll assume it was just the soundman having a bad day at the bf…going to give the place another chance when sodom come to dublin…
    either way, would be interesting to know what the story is with regulations regarding volume at dublin‘s rock and metal venues…thought somebody around here might know, seems i’ll have to check elsewhere…

yeah, i did indeed point out on mi that ensiferum was too low…three of us there and we all agreed…but of course, sound is perceived differently by different people and maybe i'm just a tad old-fashioned and out of touch with today’s health and safety obsessed world in thinking that metal should be played loud…
    so i’ll assume it was just the soundman having a bad day at the bf…going to give the place another chance when sodom come to dublin…
    either way, would be interesting to know what the story is with regulations regarding volume at dublin‘s rock and metal venues…thought somebody around here might know, seems i’ll have to check elsewhere…

You're saying this as if any metal gig at the Button Factory is as quiet as a mouse and that you can never hear anything. The volume level is fine. I don't understand why louder to the point of ears ringing for days afterwards automatically means better. I was chuffed I was able to keep my hearing the days following Ensiferum. My neck's muscles though... not so much.

You're saying this as if any metal gig at the Button Factory is as quiet as a mouse and that you can never hear anything. The volume level is fine. I don't understand why louder to the point of ears ringing for days afterwards automatically means better. I was chuffed I was able to keep my hearing the days following Ensiferum. My neck's muscles though... not so much.

well, i could hear them play and i have been to gigs with decent volume at the bf in the past…i really think there is a lot of room between the ensiferum gig volume and the point of ears ringing for days…
    or in lemmy’s immortal words: “only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud, so good i can't believe it, screamin' with the crowd […] on your feet you feel the beat, it goes straight to your spine...”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭Decade of Decadence

Love the Pint, barstaff there are SOUND

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Have yet to go to a gig in Dublin where the sound level wasn't unnecessarily high. Should really be illegal to have the decibel level that high without providing people with cheap foam earplugs at the door, as most people aren't aware of how much damage they're doing to their hearing.

Cill94 wrote: »
    Have yet to go to a gig in Dublin where the sound level wasn't unnecessarily high. Should really be illegal to have the decibel level that high without providing people with cheap foam earplugs at the door, as most people aren't aware of how much damage they're doing to their hearing.

well, we clearly live in an age of overregulation dominated by political correctness and over the top health and safety concern…having read the posts here, i wonder what sort of outcry songs like metallica’s whiplash or motorhead’s overkill would nowadays cause in (parts of) the metal community for promoting high volume and violent headbanging…
    have to say though that providing people with cheap earplugs at the door is a good idea for any metal venue, almost as good as taking some with you to any metal gig, just in case, as i have been doing for decades…i’d rather be at a loud metal show wearing eraplugs than at a show with home stereo volume…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

well, we clearly live in an age of overregulation dominated by political correctness and over the top health and safety concern…having read the posts here, i wonder what sort of outcry songs like metallica’s whiplash or motorhead’s overkill would nowadays cause in (parts of) the metal community for promoting high volume and violent headbanging…

Seems you're implying that not wanting to go deaf or get tinnitus means that I'm not a hardcore/old school type of metal fan. If so, that's utter bollix, as the whole reason to protect my hearing is so I can continue to listen to and enjoy rock & metal. Also, I love headbanging and both the songs you mentioned. Btw, do a quick google search on tinnitus and then tell me if it's an "over the top health and safety concern".

Also I too wear ear plugs to gigs, but it seems to me that it would make more sense to just have the music at a volume that doesn't damage your hearing.

Cill94 wrote: »
    Seems you're implying that not wanting to go deaf or get tinnitus means that I'm not a hardcore/old school type of metal fan. If so, that's utter bollix, as the whole reason to protect my hearing is so I can continue to listen to and enjoy rock & metal. Also, I love headbanging and both the songs you mentioned. Btw, do a quick google search on tinnitus and then tell me if it's an "over the top health and safety concern".

Also I too wear ear plugs to gigs, but it seems to me that it would make more sense to just have the music at a volume that doesn't damage your hearing.

yeah, i just think it’s nice to also feel the beat, not just hear it, that’s what i meant with wearing earplugs in extreme cases and still being able to feel it in the guts…and there is of course such a thing as too high volume…i know a few tinnitus victims myself, all totally unrelated to loud music though…it just doesn’t happen that easily…the “secret” at gigs is to act (move to bar or insert ear plugs) as soon as the volume becomes unpleasantly loud…listen to your body (or ears, for that matter) and you should be okay…

• Advertisement

Back to the new fibbers issue, I was in a taxi to town around 10pm last friday, and New Fibs looked open, lights on doors open people drinking

Is it reopened?

Advertisement