Advertisement
Where is Report Post on mobile? We've made a slight change, see here
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Dublin Rock & Metal Venue Discussion

  • 19-05-2010 2:38pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,277 Max Power1


    Mod Edit: I have tidied up the Rock & Metal Pubs and Clubs thread as it has veered off into a Dublin-centric direction. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, I'd rather all the chatter about Fibbers, Bruxelles etc. was contained here so that the Pubs and Clubs thread can get back to its original purpose.

    So, with that in mind, if you're going to talk about venues in Dublin that have already been listed in the Pubs and Clubs thread, please do so here on this thread.

    Slightly off topic - but the €2 mondays is finished in fibbers now. It was upped to thursday's rates now (€5 in and €3 a drink)


«134567

Comments



  • Max Power1 wrote: »
    the €2 mondays is finished in fibbers now. It was upped to thursday's rates now (€5 in and €3 a drink)

    Fibbers Rock Bar are doing €4.00 (every drink) Mon to Weds and €3.50 (every drink) Thurdays with no Admission charge. :)




  • Passenger wrote: »
    Fibbers Rock Bar are doing €4.00 (every drink) Mon to Weds and €3.50 (every drink) Thurdays with no Admission charge. :)
    Cool - is that all night or just till ten?? I normally only go there on fridays :)




  • Passenger wrote: »
    Fibbers Rock Bar are doing €4.00 (every drink) Mon to Weds and €3.50 (every drink) Thurdays with no Admission charge. :)

    whats its like up there at weekend?....any chicks? play good tunes?




  • whats its like up there at weekend?....any chicks? play good tunes?


    Pretty decent on a Sat night. Good crowd. Get there early for the Jukebox. 50/50 guys to chicks ratio. Friday's they have a Classic Rock DJ though usually not as busy as a Sat night.

    :)




  • Passenger wrote: »
    Pretty decent on a Sat night. Good crowd. Get there early for the Jukebox. 50/50 guys to chicks ratio. Friday's they have a Classic Rock DJ though usually not as busy as a Sat night.

    :)

    thanks will check it out.....the others are heading in the sausage factory direction lately


  • Advertisement


  • If you join Bruxelles FB page, they will send you events - last night was launch of their new drinks prices (€4.50 not so cheap but....) there was a drinks giveaway promotion. On Thursday there was a Dio tribute night. They're really stepping up their game!

    The new drinks menu is deadly - frozen cocktails, Desperado, Jagerbombs... :D I was getting sick of ordering Snakebites.




  • So what's the jukebox like in the new Fibbers in terms of extreme metal? Do they have the likes of Deicide, Death and Morbid Angel on it?




  • So what's the jukebox like in the new Fibbers in terms of extreme metal? Do they have the likes of Deicide, Death and Morbid Angel on it?

    It has all of the above.

    :)




  • Passenger wrote: »
    It has all of the above.

    :)

    Good stuff. I'll be putting some Death tunes on repeat play next Sunday night so:)




  • So what's the jukebox like in the new Fibbers in terms of extreme metal? Do they have the likes of Deicide, Death and Morbid Angel on it?
    they have many extreme/death metal bands. The likes of marduk to the likes of kreator etc..

    best metal jukebox in town imo


  • Advertisement


  • What's the story with Bruxelles? I was in there after the Maiden gig on Friday after having not been there in at least a year, it has changed so much :eek: Someone with me requested something off the dj and he goes sorry only rock 'n roll. This was in the metal bar! Basically all that was played was acdc and lots of cheese. What happened?




  • --LOS-- wrote: »
    What's the story with Bruxelles? I was in there after the Maiden gig on Friday after having not been there in at least a year, it has changed so much :eek: Someone with me requested something off the dj and he goes sorry only rock 'n roll. This was in the metal bar! Basically all that was played was acdc and lots of cheese. What happened?
    :eek:

    I was last there for a night about 6 months ago, and they were playing kreator, morbid angel and other similar bands. It was the female dj that was there on and off. I havent been much since new fibbers opened though.
    Maybe they have lost business to new fibbers and are trying to branch out?




  • Max Power1 wrote: »
    :eek:

    I was last there for a night about 6 months ago, and they were playing kreator, morbid angel and other similar bands. It was the female dj that was there on and off. I havent been much since new fibbers opened though.
    Maybe they have lost business to new fibbers and are trying to branch out?

    This was a male dj. It was also completely revamped, don't know when this happened but it's weird with the bar along the side instead of at the back, it's just way too narrow where the bar is there now. Their myspace page seems to be full of mention of rock 'n roll: http://www.myspace.com/bruxellesrockbar
    Was I sorry I didn't go to the new fibbers! At least they were doing drinks specials for the iron maiden after party, bruxelles new drinks deals were pretty lame and only running till midnight, they were advertising that night as an iron maiden after party so what use were drinks promos till midnight, you'd barely make it there before that! There was some serious cringe played, still had a good time but would not be back there in a hurry.




  • I was in Gypsie Rose on Tuesday night. Seems pretty good! All drinks are €4. There was only one bar lady upstairs and she seemed a bit dim and useless - but I guess she hasn't been working there too long. Most people were upstairs, when downstairs is really roomy. I went there after the Limp Bizkit concert on Tuesday night so there were alot of heads from there in, and lots of Bizkit played. I'll definitely go back on a normal night and check it out. Seems promising.




  • RioInHifi wrote: »
    I was in Gypsie Rose on Tuesday night. Seems pretty good! All drinks are €4. There was only one bar lady upstairs and she seemed a bit dim and useless - but I guess she hasn't been working there too long. Most people were upstairs, when downstairs is really roomy. I went there after the Limp Bizkit concert on Tuesday night so there were alot of heads from there in, and lots of Bizkit played. I'll definitely go back on a normal night and check it out. Seems promising.
    I finally got around to going there last night. Its the old "viper rooms" place. 4€ a drink all right, however the pints (apart from guiness) seemed quite watered down. Very cramped and stuffy upstairs, much better downstairs, and also a collection of stunning barmaids to boot ;)




  • Max Power1 wrote: »
    I finally got around to going there last night. Its the old "viper rooms" place. 4€ a drink all right, however the pints (apart from guiness) seemed quite watered down. Very cramped and stuffy upstairs, much better downstairs, and also a collection of stunning barmaids to boot ;)

    It's cool but the toilets are a state and the place stinks. But €4 for Morgans & Coke = happy daze! :D




  • It's cool but the toilets are a state and the place stinks. But €4 for Morgans & Coke = happy daze! :D
    Your kidding right? Its fecking roastin:D Also the toilets being a kip doesnt tend to bother me as much as it would if I was female (i imagine).




  • It's cool but the toilets are a state and the place stinks. But €4 for Morgans & Coke = happy daze! :D
    Are you really surprised by that? Come on, it is Dublin afterall. The only rock or metal venue I've been to in Dublin that has decent toilets is Valhalla (The Academy).

    I really don't like Gypsy Rose. It's full of posers. The majority of the staff are idiots. The pints are awful and the music is ****. I know a few people who would agree with me on that too.

    Max Power1 wrote: »
    I finally got around to going there last night. Its the old "viper rooms" place. 4€ a drink all right, however the pints (apart from guiness) seemed quite watered down. Very cramped and stuffy upstairs, much better downstairs, and also a collection of stunning barmaids to boot wink.gif
    Pity they don't have the ability to pull a decent pint. I actually found most of the barmaids to be pig ignorant. Maybe they behave differently to male customers. :rolleyes:




  • Are you really surprised by that? Come on, it is Dublin afterall. The only rock or metal venue I've been to in Dublin that has decent toilets is Valhalla (The Academy).

    I really don't like Gypsy Rose. It's full of posers. The majority of the staff are idiots. The pints are awful and the music is ****. I know a few people who would agree with me on that too.



    Pity they don't have the ability to pull a decent pint. I actually found most of the barmaids to be pig ignorant. Maybe they behave differently to male customers. :rolleyes:
    I would disagree with a lot of that.

    The pints of non guiness drinks were a bit crap, but the guiness was top notch. The music was not sh!t, the band downstairs was ok and the music on the jukebox was ok (for the most part). Also my comment about the staff was shared by my oh (who also posts here), that the staff were nice to her too - it wasnt just to men:D

    The crowd looked the same as any night in new fibbers or old brux imo.




  • So basically it's just like every other rock bar in Dublin...?


  • Advertisement


  • So basically it's just like every other rock bar in Dublin...?
    Yes.

    With €4 all drink all night :D




  • Max Power1 wrote: »
    The pints of non guiness drinks were a bit crap, but the guiness was top notch.
    That's fantastic; if you're a Guinness drinker. :p
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    The music was not sh!t, the band downstairs was ok and the music on the jukebox was ok (for the most part).
    Both times I've been there, the music was crap with the exception of a couple of songs. Maybe I should say it wasn't to my taste.
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    Also my comment about the staff was shared by my oh (who also posts here), that the staff were nice to her too - it wasnt just to men:D
    That's fair enough. I know plenty of people who weren't impressed by the bar staff's lack of basic skills. Some of them are alright, but for the most part, they're useless.
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    The crowd looked the same as any night in new fibbers or old brux imo.
    I think Bruxelles is the best of them all. Even though it's the same songs practically every week. At least there's a decent crowd and nice beer. Speaking of Bruxelles, what the hell is up with the amount of glam they're playing lately? At this stage, the heaviest stuff you'll hear is Venom. :rolleyes:
    So basically it's just like every other rock bar in Dublin...?
    Pretty much, but with horrible pints.




  • I think Bruxelles is the best of them all. Even though it's the same songs practically every week. At least there's a decent crowd and nice beer.

    I slightly disagree with that, lately every pint of Beamish (the only 4 euro pint) was disgusting
    Speaking of Bruxelles, what the hell is up with the amount of glam they're playing lately? At this stage, the heaviest stuff you'll hear is Venom. :rolleyes:

    That's the main reason why I don't go to Bruxelles not as often as before. I'm sorry for the guy behind the mixer but we need a new DJ! Perhaps he was told to put that kind of music to attract more customers... :confused:

    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."





  • darconio wrote: »
    I slightly disagree with that, lately every pint of Beamish (the only 4 euro pint) was disgusting
    I don't drink Beamish, so can't comment. I usually drink Carlsberg or Erdinger (when I'm feeling flush - it's €6 a bottle!!).

    darconio wrote: »
    That's the main reason why I don't go to Bruxelles not as often as before. I'm sorry for the guy behind the mixer but we need a new DJ! Perhaps he was told to put that kind of music to attract more customers... :confused:
    Same as myself. I used to be in there every Friday and Saturday. Now, I go once a month. I really couldn't be arsed wasting money to listen to the Scorpions and Whitesnake all night. I think you're right, they must be trying to attract a more 'mainstream' customer base. Hopefully, they'll cop on to themselves.




  • Pretty much, but with horrible pints.
    As opposed to the rock bars with good pints?




  • As opposed to the rock bars with good pints?

    Correct. Well spotted. :pac:




  • Same as myself. I used to be in there every Friday and Saturday. Now, I go once a month. I really couldn't be arsed wasting money to listen to the Scorpions and Whitesnake all night. I think you're right, they must be trying to attract a more 'mainstream' customer base. Hopefully, they'll cop on to themselves.


    so they should go back to the old way, with barely anyone in, instead of organising nights, which have proven to get the punters in? :rolleyes:

    Likewise if more people were into death/thrash/etc, you could be guaranteed they'd have those particular genre theme nights in Bruxelles




  • ph3n0m666 wrote: »
    so they should go back to the old way, with barely anyone in, instead of organising nights, which have proven to get the punters in? :rolleyes:

    IMHO that's what a rock/metal pub is: they should play (a bit of) rock an (a lot of) metal.
    If I want something softer they have the other area downstairs ;)

    I'm personally not asking 4/5 hours of Immortal, Marduk and Darkthrone but at least a thrash/death song every 3 or 4 wouldn't harm. \m/ \m/

    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."





  • darconio wrote: »
    IMHO that's what a rock/metal pub is: they should play (a bit of) rock an (a lot of) metal.
    If I want something softer they have the other area downstairs ;)

    I'm personally not asking 4/5 hours of Immortal, Marduk and Darkthrone but at least a thrash/death song every 3 or 4 wouldn't harm. \m/ \m/


    but they do - apart from the organised glam themed nights (there has only be 2/3), brux has a rotation of 3/4 djs who do play a variety of music - from glam, to 70s rock to death/thrash, etc


  • Advertisement


  • ph3n0m666 wrote: »
    but they do - apart from the organised glam themed nights (there has only be 2/3), brux has a rotation of 3/4 djs who do play a variety of music - from glam, to 70s rock to death/thrash, etc

    Then I was always there in the wrong night : the same dj and the same (crap) song rotation.

    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."



Advertisement