Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Rock & Metal Venue Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Anybody knows what kind of music the DJ will be playing tonight at Bruxelles? I wouldn't be able to stand another glam-rock night...

Hopefully the guy from Into The Void will be there..

EDIT : was fcuking glam night, is that every friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

darconio wrote: »
    Anybody knows what kind of music the DJ will be playing tonight at Bruxelles? I wouldn't be able to stand another glam-rock night...

Hopefully the guy from Into The Void will be there..

EDIT : was fcuking glam night, is that every friday?

Every few weeks apparently. Check their Facebook page for updates. :)

http://www.facebook.com/bruxellesrockbar

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

What the heck's been going on at the Gypsy Rose lately? Was there last saturday (23rd of June), and the basement area stank like those urine balls - I had a rock band from Denmark visiting (Doublestone, played at Fibber's on the 22nd), and wanted to show them the place, but the smell was unbearable..

Anybody know what that was all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

club hell is pretty good, good buzz,drinks cheap, free in,good tunes and a decent garden area...the best of the bunch...as for the others

bruxelles : dead, glory days are over
    Fibbers: see above
    fibbers 2 : decent bar
    gypsy rose: has potential but im not paying in downstairs, and that awful singalong acoustic **** upstairs is truly cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

club hell is pretty good, good buzz,drinks cheap, free in,good tunes and a decent garden area...the best of the bunch...as for the others

gypsy rose: has potential but im not paying in downstairs, and that awful singalong acoustic **** upstairs is truly cringeworthy.

club hell is good alright, I go there a lot purely for how incredibly cheap it is and the great music but I have to say I'm getting a bit tired of it, just because of how packed it is, and every time we go, we just end up wedged into a corner somewhere either inside or outside, it can be a trek just to get to the toilets! It's rare you get a table unless you go very early before club hell even starts up.
    I used to find fibbers €2 mondays was great. It was rarely ever so packed that you couldn't get a seat/table but there was still a decent crowd and the music wasn't so loud that you couldn't have a decent chat at the same time. I found when they revamped downstairs it felt more like a night club to me. It's very dark and there's very few places you can sit without the music blaring. There was no denying it needed some serious work but the whole tone of the place just changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Reason i don't like Club Hell is because it's not a stand alone rock bar like the others, if ya go in there any other day it's just a normal bar.

People have to start using the 7 days a week rock bars or they'll start closing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭KnowYourEnemy

The Pint on Eden Quay has been quality any time I've been there for gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

I've started enjoying Fibber's again. They're really trying to get back on track these days, and there's a lot of nice, cheap gigs there too now.

Bruxelles seems nice, but it did seem kinda dead last time I was there..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

singalong acoustic **** upstairs is truly cringeworthy.

Jimmy & Deko are actually amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Jimmy & Deko are actually amazing.
    Not to take away from them but if you want to go to a rock & metal bar its not exactly what you want :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

I just don't understand these themed nights: in my mind more variety = more croud
    I ended up downstairs in Gipsy Rose and after 5 over 5 death metal song in Gothenburg style I decided to move to Bruxelles.
    Unfortunately it went from bad to worse: the place was basically dead and after half discography of G'n'R, poison and bon jovi I just decided to call it a night.

darconio wrote: »
    I just don't understand these themed nights: in my mind more variety = more croud
    I ended up downstairs in Gipsy Rose and after 5 over 5 death metal song in Gothenburg style I decided to move to Bruxelles.
    Unfortunately it went from bad to worse: the place was basically dead and after half discography of G'n'R, poison and bon jovi I just decided to call it a night.
    Clearly the opposite is being borne out.

Why else does all the owners of the rock bars seem to hold these themed nights?

I love glam metal so I will really have to make it to one of the bruxelles theme nights. In saying that I do also like death metal so I'd have also enjoyed the gypsy part of the night you describe too. Horses for courses I guess?

There was a magic show in the Gypsy last night, great craic altogether! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Clearly the opposite is being borne out.

Why else does all the owners of the rock bars seem to hold these themed nights?

I love glam metal so I will really have to make it to one of the bruxelles theme nights. In saying that I do also like death metal so I'd have also enjoyed the gypsy part of the night you describe too. Horses for courses I guess?

They're good fun most of the time alright..only once a month (first Friday of the month, generally) so hardly a major inconvenience to the death metal crowd I guess!

It does tend to get a more varied crowd in from the bar next door, which is good.

Is it good yea? Worth going to? That's a lad I used to know that does it and I've been meaning to go check it out.

Is it good yea? Worth going to? That's a lad I used to know that does it and I've been meaning to go check it out.

Of the 3 magicians and 20 or so tricks, I would say they made a mess of at least 15 of them, but was it was still crazy fun! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eeidvs1

I saw they refurbished the downstairs metal bar in bruxelles in the last year or so. What's it like now? Looks a bit flash, whereas in the old days it was dark and basic

eeidvs1 wrote: »
    I saw they refurbished the downstairs metal bar in bruxelles in the last year or so. What's it like now? Looks a bit flash, whereas in the old days it was dark and basic

They refurbished it 3 1/2 years ago. :eek: Doesn't seem to be any of the regulars there any more. Saturday nights it seems to be full of regular Joe's migrating in from the bar next door.

Any opinions on Club Poison being in Andrew's Lane Theatre now? It's great as a concert venue because it's so intimate but not mad on it I have to say, bit boring. XXI was pretty cool with the crypt/ vault feel. Also, after those fire performers my nostrils/ throat were black inside from soot. So healthy. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Why was it moved from XXI?

• Advertisement

XXI closed down totally.

Looks like fibbers rock bar Is goin to have be taken off the list ):

How come??

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

scudzilla wrote: »
    Looks like fibbers rock bar Is goin to have be taken off the list ):

How come??

Closed yesterday ):

scudzilla wrote: »
    Is it a Rock Venue every day of the week?

I fcukin hate places like Reilly's who call themselves 'Rock Bars' but are only Rock Bars one night a week or when it suits them. Places like that use our love of music to make money and the full time Rock/Metal bars suffer because of it
    Closed yesterday ):

Ah ****e, guess I was right :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Yeah the last few times I was there it was almost empty so it was inevitable that it would close down, still sad to hear that it's gone though. :(

Yeah, unfortunately Jason (Fibbers Rock Bar Manager) decided to move to pastures new. It was his bar so as he's leaving it's the end of what I personally think was Dublin's best Rock bar. I'm still gutted that its closing as it was a big part of my weekend and I made many friends in there and had many great memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

This the one on Ormand Quay?

Presume Parnell St is till open.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    This the one on Ormand Quay?

Presume Parnell St is till open.

Aye.

Thats real **** buzz. Defo the best rock bar in town.

Guess its on to old fibbers (or just "fibbers") now I suppose. I never really liked the gypsy and dont want to go to these "one night a week" rock bars

• Advertisement

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Thats real **** buzz. Defo the best rock bar in town.

Guess its on to old fibbers (or just "fibbers") now I suppose. I never really liked the gypsy and dont want to go to these "one night a week" rock bars

Well I'm not sure about taking my custom to Fibber Magees. But as you said, I certainly won't be taking it to these "once a week Rock bars" who are generally full of posers and regular Joe's after the cheap sauce.

Advertisement