Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Rock & Metal Venue Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lamb_of_God

Fibbers has gone down hill in the last year. On thursdays the place used to be jammers both upstairs(especially the beer garden) and downstairs.was there last thursday and the only ppl there were regulars(which are there most days,duh i know) and a few frickin 12 year olds(well they looked about that neways). Hopefully when they finish refurbishing downstairs more ppl will start going again instead of the gypsy rose!!

*cough*bruxells sucks*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Fibbers has gone down hill in the last year. On thursdays the place used to be jammers both upstairs(especially the beer garden) and downstairs.was there last thursday and the only ppl there were regulars(which are there most days,duh i know) and a few frickin 12 year olds(well they looked about that neways). Hopefully when they finish refurbishing downstairs more ppl will start going again instead of the gypsy rose!!

*cough*bruxells sucks*cough*
    I hate Fibbers for the music it has there, nothing but boring bog standard Rock/Metal, plus it smells like piss. At least Bruxelles is clean and has a good variety of Metal, I've heard Emperor, the Haunted, Dying Fetus, Saint Vitus, Tomahawk, Nailbomb and lots of other stuff you'd not hear anywhere else. Can't judge Gypsy Rose too much as I've only ever been there once, albeit they had ****e on when I was there, looked alright though.

Nailz wrote: »
    I hate Fibbers for the music it has there, nothing but boring bog standard Rock/Metal, plus it smells like piss. At least Bruxelles is clean and has a good variety of Metal, I've heard Emperor, the Haunted, Dying Fetus, Saint Vitus, Tomahawk, Nailbomb and lots of other stuff you'd not hear anywhere else. Can't judge Gypsy Rose too much as I've only ever been there once, albeit they had ****e on when I was there, looked alright though.

True. Fibbers does smell of piss thats inside upstairs tho(those toilets could use another refurbishment, even with those "people" "selling" smelly stuff can't get that smell outta there) Out in da beer garden is where the good times are had (well used to).
    Bruxells is full (with some exceptions) of dirty old men. they all may as well go around pulling girls skirts up or go round sniifin women to there faces and sayin and I quote "Gis a shot o' you'r box dere luv"(<- a frequent "visitor" to Bruxies). True the music in bruxells is by far better than fibbers(class juke box) but the people in fibs are much nicer as are the staff (GO ON D SEAN!!)
    If fibbers and bruxells had a baby the result would be kick ass!!:D:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

If fibbers and bruxells had a baby the result would be New Fibbers
    FYP ;)

Max Power1 wrote: »
    FYP ;)

Strangely enough, i've never been.
    Must check it out.:confused:

• Advertisement

Is there a Fibbers in Galway?

Theres a big Biker run from dawson st. dublin to eyre square in Galway every october, they all usually gather in that fibbers and surrounding pubs!! Like Malice said nothing of it's name sake!:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Downstairs in old smelly Fibbers has been done up. The stairs are now walkable, but the floor has all been tiled and about 30 people fell over in the first hour we were there :eek: Same music but slightly different crowd to what used to be in there.

It looks well though! There's a stage where the bar used to be, the dancefloor is now a seating area, and the (very small) bar is where the pool table used to be! Hope it works out well for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

jenizzle wrote: »
    Downstairs in old smelly Fibbers has been done up. The stairs are now walkable, but the floor has all been tiled and about 30 people fell over in the first hour we were there :eek: Same music but slightly different crowd to what used to be in there.

It looks well though! There's a stage where the bar used to be, the dancefloor is now a seating area, and the (very small) bar is where the pool table used to be! Hope it works out well for them!

Went in on thursday for the opening. Not quite sure what to make of it, The new bar is tiny and the pillar by the pool table makes getting in and out hassle, i ended up just going upstairs (sidenote: to the retards who spent the whole night parked at the bar when the queue kept growing show some ****ing sense and move)

The extra seats in that area, while appreciated, are too close together and you cant walk through them without hitting someone.

The seated area opposite the toilets are awesome, close enough to everything but without the music making your ears bleed

The stage area looks cool, be nice to see it with a band in full flow. I would actually move a couple of tables/stools from the pool table area up here and shift them when theres gigs on.

The new dancefloor is nice but has some major flaws.
    1 as mentioned it's tiled/polished so unless were allowed slide in our socks it could get lethal
    2 it's still the open area to a lot of people so theres a lot of standing around/talking/walking through. Grand for now but you know fibbers, one person dancing bumps into one person talking and **** kicks off.

The main problem I have though is all the new lights. Half the appeal of fibbers is that it's a dark ****hole so the fact that they're trying to change that doesn't sit well with me.

Sorry for the essay/rant. I do think it looks great but there are some teething problems both on the pubs end and the customers that should get sorted out soon enough. Agree on all the new people though, i hadn't been in two months and didn't know anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Went in on thursday for the opening. Not quite sure what to make of it, The new bar is tiny and the pillar by the pool table makes getting in and out hassle, i ended up just going upstairs (sidenote: to the retards who spent the whole night parked at the bar when the queue kept growing show some ****ing sense and move)

The extra seats in that area, while appreciated, are too close together and you cant walk through them without hitting someone.

The seated area opposite the toilets are awesome, close enough to everything but without the music making your ears bleed

The stage area looks cool, be nice to see it with a band in full flow. I would actually move a couple of tables/stools from the pool table area up here and shift them when theres gigs on.

The new dancefloor is nice but has some major flaws.
    1 as mentioned it's tiled/polished so unless were allowed slide in our socks it could get lethal
    2 it's still the open area to a lot of people so theres a lot of standing around/talking/walking through. Grand for now but you know fibbers, one person dancing bumps into one person talking and **** kicks off.

The main problem I have though is all the new lights. Half the appeal of fibbers is that it's a dark ****hole so the fact that they're trying to change that doesn't sit well with me.

Sorry for the essay/rant. I do think it looks great but there are some teething problems both on the pubs end and the customers that should get sorted out soon enough. Agree on all the new people though, i hadn't been in two months and didn't know anyone.

Sounds like common sense went out the window here.

Gave the place a shot and it wasn't too bad, not too bad at all.
    But that said, the pub was empty when I was there, I reckon it'll be a whole other ball game when the place is full.

• Advertisement

Sounds like common sense went out the window here.
    +1

Its actually a nice venue downstairs now, but the bar is waaaay too small, it was 4 or 5 people deep all night last time I was there last week, thursday (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭theillest

Theres a place called sub lounge in dublin aswell it has an officaly name something like O'Reillys Sublounge.
    More main stream metal/hard rock

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

theillest wrote: »
    Theres a place called sub lounge in dublin aswell it has an officaly name something like O'Reillys Sublounge.
    More main stream metal/hard rock

The pub itself isn't a rock bar as such, but they host a night called Club Hell every Saturday as well as the odd weekday.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002115937289

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Fibbers Rock Bar, Ormond Quay are doing 3.50 Thursdays now.

ALL Drinks are e3.50. :)

DJ's playing the best of Rock & Metal. Here's a poster for next Thursday.

Rock&MetalThursday.jpg

Fibbers Rock Bar Facebook

Passenger wrote: »
    Fibbers Rock Bar, Ormond Quay are doing 3.50 Thursdays now.

ALL Drinks are e3.50. :)

DJ's playing the best of Rock & Metal. Here's a poster for next Thursday.

Rock&MetalThursday.jpg

Fibbers Rock Bar Facebook

So the novelty has worn off the place now?

What?

Easter Sunday Rocks @ Fibbers Rock Bar, Ormond Quay

DJ Bartholomew lashing out an eclectic mix of all things Rock & Metal from 8.30pm. :)

SundayRocks2.jpg

So nothing new from every other promotion they have ever had?

So nothing new from every other promotion they have ever had?

Well yes, it appears pretty new, all drinks are e3.50 for the night. What more do you want? Doesn't appear to be anywhere else cheaper on Sunday night. Plus it keeps my pockets a little fuller that night too.

Oh I'm not saying it's not a good promotion but it's not a new one!

• Advertisement

Passenger wrote: »
    Well yes, it appears pretty new, all drinks are e3.50 for the night. What more do you want? Doesn't appear to be anywhere else cheaper on Sunday night. Plus it keeps my pockets a little fuller that night too.

Isnt old fibbers €2.50 a drink sunday?

Isnt old fibbers €2.50 a drink sunday?

You have to pay in to old Fibbers though. It's Free in to Fibbers, Ormond Quay.

Even if you pay in €5 into new fibbers (which you dont if your there before eight ;) as I intend to be) all you need is to have more than 5 beers before it works out cheaper to be in old fibbers
    ;)

Even if you pay in €5 into new fibbers all you need is to have more than 5 beers before it works out cheaper to be in old fibbers
    ;)

You have it all worked out don't ye Max. :D It's free in all night to New Fibbers btw. There's never an admission fee, before or after 8pm. I assume that's a typo? ;)

Yes it was a typo

Going to bump this (for those who havent already heard), Old fibbers will not be playing gigs upstairs anymore, and have lost their late licence.

And they sacked jean claude apparently :-( big veto going on on facebook at the moment.

And they sacked jean claude apparently :-( big veto going on on facebook at the moment.
    Yup

They are going to lose a lot of business over this it would seem

(apparently they didnt sack him, but asked him to move downstairs for gigs, which was what his son was doing so obviously this was a no go)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Old post, but the new Fibbers is still lively as ever, it's never too packed but always a good crowd in.
    And great music :)

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Old post, but the new Fibbers is still lively as ever, it's never too packed but always a good crowd in.
    And great music :)
    Ah its quitened down a bit in fairness, still full enough at the weekends.

Its just a bit out of the way (imo) to maintain a passing trade or substantial midweek night trade etc/

I head in there on me own and/or with the missus for a quiet pint during the week sometimes and I/we would often be the only people (or almost) there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Mostly saturday.
    Friday (last time I was there) it's pretty dead, mainly due to someone having the bright idea to play punk, which apparently doesn't attract a crowd :D
    Weekdays as you say are pretty much the same for all pubs which are a bit removed from the city center, hardly anyone unless there's something going on.

Advertisement