Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I'll never go out with a guy shorter than me"

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I'm only 5' 1 so I couldn't possibly date someone shorter.. or even close to my height, we'd look like a couple of garden gnomes.

I like to lie on my blokes chest, or snugggle in, makes me feel girlie and protected. If he's lying lower than me, or I stand on a chair and hug him (sometimes I like to pretend I'm tall...) or I have my arms around his shoulders I think it's creepy, like he's my child or something. *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

I'm 5' 5'' and my husband is 6' and to be honest like a lot of people have said its kind of a girlie protected thing. A lot of women like to feel as if they are being minded and a taller guy means cuddling in for hugs or him having to bend down for a kiss (I love that I have to go up on my toes to kiss my husband :)). I don't think its odd to go out with a guy shorter than you though. At the end of the day you may be attracted/put off by someones height but how tall the person is shouldn't be the main thing. Its personality and your emotional bond to each other. I have a friend who is 6' and her boyfriend is 5' 7'' and she often wears heels. She once told me they used to get really odd stares especially on nights out, but they got used to it after a while. They even joke about it too, she calls him Tiny Tim :D (his real name is Tim!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I'm 5'6 and I wouldn't be with a guy shorter than me, the same height as me or only slightly taller than me.

It's not a snooty shallow thing, it's just that I'm not physically attracted to men who are short and why would anybody go for somebody they are not into? The mistake some men make is assuming it's an unreasonable preference. I mean you can't help who and what you are attracted to. It's not a comment on short men, that they are lacking in some way, it's just that they don't do it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sexydancer

I'm quite tall but it wouldn't bother me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Peared wrote: »
    The mistake some men make is assuming it's an unreasonable preference. I mean you can't help who and what you are attracted to. It's not a comment on short men, that they are lacking in some way, it's just that they don't do it for me.

Thats the issue. Some men try to make it sound like you're shallow and superficial, but in the next breath will tell you they could never date a fat girl because the attraction just wouldn't be there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭shuvly

Have only done this once, am only 5ft 5 ish..(ish v.important)..but when I was 18(many, many years ago), and in college doing a short course, went out with a guy shorter than me, I used to have my arm round his shoulders! My family loved him..(he had a bit of road frontage..), and my aunt christened him "gianty"..but he was on the students union, which came with lots of perks...happy days while it lasted! Happy new year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

It wouldn't matter to me if a guy I really liked and wanted to date/be in a relationship with was taller or shorter than me. I'm 5"5, and I rarely wear high heels anyway.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Giselle wrote: »
    Thats the issue. Some men try to make it sound like you're shallow and superficial, but in the next breath will tell you they could never date a fat girl because the attraction just wouldn't be there.

I don't think your comparison is very fair because someone being overweight is within their control and has significant implications on health unlike someones height.

A better comparison would be for a man to accuse a woman of being shallow because she is attracted to tall men while that man is only attracted to women with a large bust size, then the hypocrisy would be pretty evident.

Ultimately all personal preferences are shallow to some degree and there is nothing wrong with that as people are not entitled to being found attractive by everyone else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I can never really say things like that. I would have always have said I liked much shorter girls and now my girlfriend is about my height 5' 9/10. In fact I much prefer it! People come as a package, and I don't really see anybody being serious with the 'never' in this instance, it just shows the preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

there are certain physical features that DO matter to me. (for example TEETH.)
    but height just isn't one of them. i'm 5'4" and never wear heels so i rarely meet guys noticeably shorter than me anyway. looking back i guess a couple guys i've dated probably have been just a little shorter than me. but whatever, it's all about he face for me. height and weight don't matter so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Interesting thread. I'm a guy and 6ft on the dot.

I usually tend to go for petite women, I'm not sure why. I always thought it was because my main female role model, my mother is short (she has never said her height but I guess sub 5ft) but my brother who is shorter than me usually goes for taller women.

So I have no idea why but petite women really take my eye.

My current girlfriend is 5ft'2 and she loves taller guys. She said she is just used to looking up to men such as her teachers, lecturers etc. that she would feel weird to be looking down at them.

Once she said she met a guy in a nightclub that was 5ft and she felt a little freaked out by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sunshineboo

I'm 5 8 and often wear 5 inch heels when I'm out. I've been with guys who are the same height as me without heels or even a little shorter of course the ideal would be a taller guy but it doesn't matter as long as there is an attraction there.

Advertisement